Elmhurst Young Dancers questions

Astrid

13 hours ago, M'sMum said:

Thank you BB. It is for year 9.

You’re welcome! Oh right. I tried for yr 11 but unfortunately didn’t receive a place, but it was such a challenging class so I learnt a few things. I hope your dd has fun dancing there every week! Xx

• Like 1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am completely new to this so apologies for maybe asking obvious questions. First of all congratulations to all successful Elmhurst Young Dancers.  My DD auditioned for year 7 unfortunately it was a no for her. She auditioned in year 6 Junior associates Birmingham Royal Ballet & was placed on their SWL. Unfortunately it was a no from Mid Associates Royal Ballet this year. She never auditioned for full time vocational study either at the Royal Ballet or Elmhurst. My question would be if it's worth trying to audition for year 7 full time at Elmhurst this year as noticed they put out some late audition dates for y7 as she just received a no from young dancers? And also is it worth auditioning for year 8 Royal Ballet WL as again places so limited and thinking they will have even less chance as classes already formed from full time students moving up from year7 to year 8? Thank you 

Hi Emdancer - it all depends on what you regard as being a worthwhile outcome. If it's only in terms of being offered a place following the audition, then the vast majority of auditions aren't worth it for the vast majority of applicants (simply because there are so many children auditioning for so few places). However, if you go into the process from the point of view of gaining worthwhile audition experience, then applying for the schemes and schools you mention is definitely worthwhile - each audition is a ballet class in itself with excellent teachers and an opportunity to dance with a live piano accompaniment. Your daughter should feel very proud of herself for her bravery in taking part in a class with unfamiliar students, and her confidence should grow as a result. I really think that auditions at this stage can be a valuable experience for children if they are framed in these terms from the outset. Gaining a place would then be the cherry on the cake rather than the only desired outcome of an audition.

• Like 2

Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you glisade for your reply. I guess we don't live directly close to any of the main centres and as my DD is so passionate about her dancing and with ballet she would benefit for more intense training it would be nice if she had more chance to build on her potential. The opportunities around us are not many, she was offered a place to the local ballet school Associate Programme however it's only once a month and not every week as Elmhurst and RBS offer which I guess is not enough. 

If your Dd finds the auditions are good experience and is fairly robust at dealing with disappointment ( should that be the case) then why not try again. Dds RBs associate teacher described the student in an audition situation  as a Rubik’s cube. Some students will have a nearly full red side for physique for example but only 4 yellow cubes for turn out or 7 green for feet but only 2 for for musicality and artistry. She made it clear that no one has the full finished cube and they make a decision on a balance of coloured squares. It was a good way of helping the kids to understand the balance. Obviously they are not going to choose a student who is not suitable for training but sometimes it just depends who else is auditioning!

• Like 2

i tell my daughter to always think of an audition as an open class rather than a test , we have adopted an approach of give it a go as nothing to lose ( nobody will die or get sick and your teacher will never chuck you out or not welcome you back just because you didnt get in or get the best grade etc )   and you may actually gain something ....if you get it then great but if not it can either be a lightbulb moment of ?is this path the right one for my child or am i flocking something to death/pushing my child wrongly  and should i redirect my childs energies somewhere else or just chill out and enjoy her dancing for pleasure rather than seeing it as a career  .... ? are we needing to improve something ie flexibility or posture that we may have actually spotted but ignored  or had said to us over time  ..... ? just bad luck  and better dancers present on that day ......  we 'failed' an audition and went back the year after realising flexibility really needing improving, she worked really hard and went back with splits in all ways  so went in feeling more confident ....rightly or wrongly splits may not have been the issue but we knew they got tested so knowing she could do them that year just helped her confidence  overall ...she now knows tho that for her body she needs to work at her flexibility   and its helped her in many ways  realising that things dont happen without effort lol

Every school looking for something different - and thats not even touching on the touchy subject of weight /height/leg and body ratios lol 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your reply leotardmum, glissade & Valentina, very much appreciated. You are right I guess it is all about the way we are all looking at it. My dd loves her dancing & is happy to try to audition, always ask me when is the next one lol. Just wondering if there are any other good ballet schools in & around Birmingham (not just Elmhurst & RBS) offering weekly associate classes worth trying to apply? Our local school (East Midlands) offers a limited number of ballet lessons - 1 or 2 a week. And if I could ask a very strange question - is it ok to smile when auditioning in ballet or is it more expected to look seriously? I know very silly question! 🙈😂. Thank you again!

Annette Nicholson (ex BRB dancer and MA/SA teacher) runs her own associate scheme on Sundays (fortnightly I think) Details are on her website (under classes then Sunday Associates)

http://www.nicholsonschoolofdance.com/

She is a fantastic teacher and will, if you ask, give a very honest assessment of your DC's suitability for full time training. She holds Easter and Summer classes with amazing guest teachers too. Beautiful studios in Digbeth with parking (thought with the nearby Eastside/HS2 development nearby it isn't as easy to get to as it was - but worth it!) 

56 minutes ago, EmDancer said:

Thank you very much for your reply leotardmum, glissade & Valentina, very much appreciated. You are right I guess it is all about the way we are all looking at it. My dd loves her dancing & is happy to try to audition, always ask me when is the next one lol. Just wondering if there are any other good ballet schools in & around Birmingham (not just Elmhurst & RBS) offering weekly associate classes worth trying to apply? Our local school (East Midlands) offers a limited number of ballet lessons - 1 or 2 a week. And if I could ask a very strange question - is it ok to smile when auditioning in ballet or is it more expected to look seriously? I know very silly question! 🙈😂. Thank you again!

Obviously, if the performer shows the joy that dance brings them through their whole body and face, then the audience will share in that joy. An audition is definitely a performance and so showing emotion in your face is important. When you are young, that will often show as a smile, although natural is preferable to forced, which would not be genuine. However, as you become older and more experienced, ‘ the smile’ will hopefully develop into more mature emotion.

yes iam one for encouraging joy and happiness as what  better way to spend a few hours  dancing and not doing homework or emptying the dishwasher i tell my child  lol

i always tell my child that we have literally 'paid' to have that time in front of them / same at competitions we have paid for that 3 minutes on stage so regardless how it goes please  go and have a blast - if it all goes wrong just roll round on the stage for the 3 minutes i tell her  ( obv this is a joke ! )  its your time to shine and remember the person choosing or judging may like you one day and not the next or be looking for certain things that maybe we didnt show or dont have/cant have ( body shape awareness can be tricky as they reach puberty and start to change )  and to just bring home at least one learning point from the class/audition/competition that she can take into the next one  or into school lessons...... thanking the teachers and pianist is also very important  at the end of an audition/open class if its possible ..... we have some comps that are 'open classes' first before you are 'selected' to do your solo   here that are great prep for auditions in learning etiquette and confidence building/learning to cope with not getting thro  ...and a new leaotard/hair flower  can always take the sting out of rejection in the younger ones ( as does a  chocolate treat afterwards i find ) x

1 minute ago, Lara Eschler said:

Thank you for your response. We were given the option to attend the 4 last classes of this term.

I think it may be different for year 4 having re-read the email. It definitely says they will allocate 2 of the last 4, 8.45-9.45am

40 minutes ago, Fairydust said:

@Astrid @Spamcat @Echo

Hello lovelies, have you received any other communication following confirmation of accepting the place? Xx

Hi Fairy dust! we haven’t heard anything, but we are at a wedding this weekend and so can’t go to the class this Saturday even if we were allocated it. I did mention I couldn’t do this week to them in my email though so hoping that’s ok! 

My email also says 2 out the four so planning on that. I guess we will hear after today? x

On 05/06/2019 at 13:33, Fairydust said:

@Astrid my email has just come through confirming this Saturday and the following Saturday for DD 8.45 to 9.45

hopefully you will get two dates you can make 

so excited 😆 xx

We have got 8th and 15th too! My DH will he taking her this week but hopefully I'll be going on 15th. How exciting!!!

9 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Hope they give us a bit more info on Saturday too. We have auditioned and accepted a place and we literally know nothing about it! 😂

One of DDs friends goes and say it’s fantastic so we’re not worried although we know very little too 😂 

looking forward to meeting you all xx

• Like 1

Maybe they are waiting to make sure all the DCs like the format and style of the class before sending or any extra info? maybe in previous years they have had some that have decided it isn’t for them early on and that’s why they are doing the June classes, so that little DCs on the wait list can get a chance earlier if they don’t? 🙂 seems like a good idea if that’s the case! x

22 hours ago, Spamcat said:

We heard about a jazz class and we are really hoping they can do this too as my DD would love it! Maybe it's an optional extra?

If it’s the same as last year there will be 1 hour 15 ballet and exercise and optional 1 hour jazz

My DD started the Y5 class last year; I think the main reason for the extra classes is to get them used to the format etc, especially for those starting in Y5 or Y6 as they will be joining a class of children who have been there for at least a year & are already very comfortable with how things work. The info about classes, uniform etc come out towards the end of the summer term if I remember correctly. And yes, there is an optional jazz class which most of them seem to do. They do work them hard but my daughter has loved her first year there 😊.

• Like 1