Elmhurst Young Dancers questions

Astrid

On 18/04/2019 at 09:32, TinyNEDancer said:

Astrid, creakingstool, anyone else who has sent in the application and photos for Elmhurst - have you sent them in the normal post or have you sent them recorded delivery? It seems a bit unusual popping them in the postbox, not actually knowing that they have been received, unlike an email or an online application form, but I guess this is the system that has worked for years?? 

I just need to get it sent now I think 😆

I sent mine normal post, the woman in the post office was quite adamant it was two stamps..I was too scared of her to question so just went with it, and I got a reply from Elmhurst a couple of days ago by email? Just a standard response saying that they would be in touch with my time and more info. So it looks like it got there and the photos were ok 😁. It didn’t take long to get my email from them..

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 18/04/2019 at 11:37, BalletBear said:

Hi! For the application photos in first and second position, does anyone know if the arms are in first and second? Or bras bas? Thanks xx

We did our with arms in first and second xx

46 minutes ago, DancingShoes said:

Elmhurst associates in Manchester are on a Saturday morning during term time and are held at the Dancehouse on Oxford Road. 

I'm afraid I don't know the timings anymore but the Y4s are earliest then 5s and then 6s. The teacher is lovely.

Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, Astrid said:

I sent mine normal post, the woman in the post office was quite adamant it was two stamps..I was too scared of her to question so just went with it, and I got a reply from Elmhurst a couple of days ago by email? Just a standard response saying that they would be in touch with my time and more info. So it looks like it got there and the photos were ok 😁. It didn’t take long to get my email from them..

Ooh this forum is so useful, I would have never known to have expected an acknowledgement email - thanks so much Astrid! Although I only put one stamp on!! But at least I know that it hasn’t got there if I don’t get an email 😀

Even when it’s sent it’s still bothering me it seems...! And I guess this is only the start 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😀

I always ask for "proof of postage" at the Post Office if I am posting anything that is important to me (if I am not using special or recorded delivery).  It is free and if there are subsequent enquiries you have the proof that, at the very least, it was posted.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2019 at 07:06, Jan McNulty said:

I always ask for "proof of postage" at the Post Office if I am posting anything that is important to me (if I am not using special or recorded delivery).  It is free and if there are subsequent enquiries you have the proof that, at the very least, it was posted.

I regretted not doing this, hence my relief when it arrived!

Hi! Sorry this is probably such a dumb question but I’m going to ask it anyway! I didn’t have chance to take the application photos at my dance studio as my teacher has been ill so she suggested I take them at home. My mum and I took them on the weekend in my bedroom which has white walls and a light carpet. However, I had been doing a project with dyed cotton wool (long story!) and I hadn’t picked it all up (I didn’t realise). Due to this the camera picked it up so now the carpet looks really dirty and because it wasn’t in a studio the lighting isn’t that great. The application is due on Friday and I’m not sure whether to post it tonight with ok photos of me but my room looks really dirty (well the carpet and lighting) or retake them tonight in my mum’s room (light will most likely be better but it has a darker carpet and white walls) and post tomorrow (I’ll pay more so that they get there by Thursday not Friday). I am paying the £15 (I offered to my mum) so don’t want to waste it if they take one look and go ‘no, the lighting is bad’. How relevant are the photos as we have an audition class too? I really don’t want it to hinder any slight chance I have.  Thanks for any help xxx 

Edited by BalletBear

1 hour ago, BalletBear said:

Hi! Sorry this is probably such a dumb question but I’m going to ask it anyway! I didn’t have chance to take the application photos at my dance studio as my teacher has been ill so she suggested I take them at home. My mum and I took them on the weekend in my bedroom which has white walls and a light carpet. However, I had been doing a project with dyed cotton wool (long story!) and I hadn’t picked it all up (I didn’t realise). Due to this the camera picked it up so now the carpet looks really dirty and because it wasn’t in a studio the lighting isn’t that great. The application is due on Friday and I’m not sure whether to post it tonight with ok photos of me but my room looks really dirty (well the carpet and lighting) or retake them tonight in my mum’s room (light will most likely be better but it has a darker carpet and white walls) and post tomorrow (I’ll pay more so that they get there by Thursday not Friday). I am paying the £15 (I offered to my mum) so don’t want to waste it if they take one look and go ‘no, the lighting is bad’. How relevant are the photos as we have an audition class too? I really don’t want it to hinder any slight chance I have.  Thanks for any help xxx 

Don’t worry about the quality of the photos as long as they can see your physique/ posture/ turnout, that’s all that matters. We applied to Elmhurst summer school one year. The application was sent v. late with a note ( as we’d just moved house) and our cat featured prominently in every photo, which were taken in our living room! Didn’t seem to matter as she got a place.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for your help. I’m going to retake them tonight (Just to see how different they are and looking at them now my ankles have rolled slightly on one of them) and post them after school tomorrow as there appears to be an option for next day delivery guaranteed in the Royal Mail website. Does anyone have any experience with its reliability? Just because it it a bit more expensive. Xxx

On 10/04/2019 at 13:44, BalletBear said:

Hi! I know I’m a bit older but does anyone know what standard someone applying for yr 11 entry would have to be? Or if there might be any places? Are places for yr 11 associates ever given?  I’m not sure if I should apply or not as I don’t want to use up money for petrol or the application fee. Good luck to anyone applying! Xx

Hi

My dd did 3 or 4 years in Elmhurst Ext ass, and finished last year in year 11 as she went to a vocational school. She loved the lessons and found them technically very useful. She had taken RAD adv 1 but I would say the general standard was  intermediate.  Most people auditioned for Elmhurst Upper School. 

HTH

2 hours ago, Loulou said:

Hi

My dd did 3 or 4 years in Elmhurst Ext ass, and finished last year in year 11 as she went to a vocational school. She loved the lessons and found them technically very useful. She had taken RAD adv 1 but I would say the general standard was  intermediate.  Most people auditioned for Elmhurst Upper School. 

HTH

Thanks that really helped! I’m just going to give it my best shot and see if it is meant for me. 

8 hours ago, valentina said:

Don’t worry about the quality of the photos as long as they can see your physique/ posture/ turnout, that’s all that matters. We applied to Elmhurst summer school one year. The application was sent v. late with a note ( as we’d just moved house) and our cat featured prominently in every photo, which were taken in our living room! Didn’t seem to matter as she got a place.

The cat???😻😻😻

• Like 1

I auditioned for extended associates way back 2 years ago when I was in year 9 - it was a mix of ages from age 11-15 and no there was no Pointework. The older ones did slightly more advanced combinations but I'd say it was no higher than intermediate level. 

The parents came in to watch for the last couple of allegro combinations.

of course it may have changed since then! But hope this helps x

On 05/05/2019 at 17:41, BalletBear said:

Hi! I’ve got my audition time for this coming Saturday (the 11th) and I’m in Group 5 for the Extended Associates. Does anyone know what I could expect in the audition? Will there be pointe work? Thank you xxx

My Dd's audition consisted of her taking part in one of the classes, before they started the formal auditions. However I think the audition runs like a normal class. I can tell you a class consists of barre work, then centre work, groups of 3 or 4 from the corner doing combinations of exercises and then in lines where the front line is rotated, this was the same for auditions for upper school.  The class is very focused on technique . i doubt there is pointe work as the preliminary audition for upper school doesnt include pointe work. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Loulou said:

My Dd's audition consisted of her taking part in one of the classes, before they started the formal auditions. However I think the audition runs like a normal class. I can tell you a class consists of barre work, then centre work, groups of 3 or 4 from the corner doing combinations of exercises and then in lines where the front line is rotated, this was the same for auditions for upper school.  The class is very focused on technique . i doubt there is pointe work as the preliminary audition for upper school doesnt include pointe work. 

Thank you that is very helpful. I’ll just give it my best shot! 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone 

DD had her elmhurst audition today.

She said they went in, stood in a circle, did some skips to warm up, then they did some centre work. She said this was in first and second position. Plies and pointing toes..No barre work. They didn’t take their shoes and socks off at all. They did froggie on back, cobra and had to lie on their back and get their leg up as near to their face as poss. They did two bits of improv, one where they danced round the room and one where they just used their arms. There were 21 in her group. They said they want to get the results out before half term. Hope that could be of help to some of you! Seems very different to RBS! 🙃 xx

• Like 1

Hello all, I’m new on here, all very helpful comments. My DD was at the b’ham 10.45 auditions, year 4 entry. Not hopeful for a place but great experience for her. Does anyone know if results will be posted or emailed? Xx

3 hours ago, Fairydust said:

Hello all, I’m new on here, all very helpful comments. My DD was at the b’ham 10.45 auditions, year 4 entry. Not hopeful for a place but great experience for her. Does anyone know if results will be posted or emailed? Xx

As far as I’m aware, notification of results is usually by email Fairydust. Good luck to your DD! x 

• Like 1