Jump to content

Elmhurst Young Dancers questions


Recommended Posts

Does anybody know the times for the Y4 class for Elmhurst young dancers in Birmingham? Are there any fortnightly options or just weekly? I couldn’t see this info anywhere on the website. 

 

DD is keen to apply but it would be a bit of a journey for us (although we have family in Birmingham so it could be broken up with a stay). I am thinking more of the effects on the rest of the family and how it would work. I do realise these schemes are very competitive and chances are small, but worth thinking in advance anyway.

 

We are so limited with options for extra ballet where we live! 

 

Thanks so much 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My youngest is currently a Y4 young dancer. Ballet class starts at 7:45, finishes at 10:15 (AM). They also have the option of doing Jazz which is an hour class starting at 10:30. She absolutely loves both classes. We live in Oxfordshire so a bit of a trek with an early start. Lessons are weekly. 

 

Good luck to your dancer if she auditions, it is a lovely scheme. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if anyone has any wisdom they can offer. My daughter will be applying for the Elmhurst Young Dancers programme for 2019 entry, Y4. We find ourselves in a situation where we can either attend an audition in Sunderland or Plymouth. Strange, I know! I wondered if anyone had any advice on which would be better, if either did have an advantage? For example, I know that Royal Ballet School have a far higher number of applicants at some centres vs. others, and so the ratio/chance of being successful may be different. Is this the case in this situation, does anyone know? I hope this makes sense! Thank you 😊 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Jan McNulty changed the title to Elmhurst Young Dancers questions
16 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

I wonder if anyone has any wisdom they can offer. My daughter will be applying for the Elmhurst Young Dancers programme for 2019 entry, Y4. We find ourselves in a situation where we can either attend an audition in Sunderland or Plymouth. Strange, I know! I wondered if anyone had any advice on which would be better, if either did have an advantage? For example, I know that Royal Ballet School have a far higher number of applicants at some centres vs. others, and so the ratio/chance of being successful may be different. Is this the case in this situation, does anyone know? I hope this makes sense! Thank you 😊 

 

TinyNEDancer is it just the audition you are asking for or is it it the place she would train at? I think you can audition at one centre for a place at another (you can with RB anyway).  If this was the case then it wouldn't make much difference I would have thought..eg if you auditioned for a place in Sunderland at Plymouth, it would be the same chance as auditioning in Sunderland.  

If she has a choice of centres though I have no idea 😂 good luck in any case! 🙂x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Astrid. Yes, just for the audition. You’re right, it probably doesn’t make any difference at all! I had read that the ratio of the no of children vs. no of places was ‘better’ in some RB locations than others, and wondered if it was similar for Elmhurst. I have a dancer v keen to get onto the Elmhurst programme - and these two location options - so thought it was worth asking! Thank you for your reply 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

No probs! We are auditioning for the first time as well. We are auditioning for JAs in Birmingham for London (because London clashes with her dance show), and still trying to decide what to do about Elmhurst. My family live on Birmingham so it makes it a bit easier. We live in the east of England. It’s a hike wherever we are. To be honest we have no idea what we are doing 😅 and not expecting anything at all. My husband grumbling about it all already! Good luck to your DD I hope she gets a place where she wants 🙂 x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely give it a go! It is a wonderful experience and the Young Dancers make lifelong friends. We had a long drive and a 7am start for classes but dd absolutely loved it and although she was exhausted afterwards, she wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

And to yours too, Astrid! Will she be going into Y4 in September? If so she’s the same age as mine. We are very new to all of this! I don’t think we’ll get far but we’ll have some nice days out along the way...! 

Yes going into year 4 - she is 7. I agree, we went to an insight day and had a lovely time, they had a really great pianist and the teachers are fab. If anything it’s a fun day out again? x

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Creakingstool said:

Does anyone know if the application for the audition closes at all?  Set number of places? We would be auditioning for Manchester. 

I think the website says it’s May 3rd..maybe check that though! X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I know I’m a bit older but does anyone know what standard someone applying for yr 11 entry would have to be? Or if there might be any places? Are places for yr 11 associates ever given?  I’m not sure if I should apply or not as I don’t want to use up money for petrol or the application fee. Good luck to anyone applying! Xx

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Astrid said:

Good point..should probably crack on with the form..😆

 

🤣🤣🤣 yes me too. I was just thinking I might wait to see if DD enjoys the RBS audition before I did!! This is her first time doing anything like this.

Edited by Creakingstool
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/04/2019 at 20:58, Creakingstool said:

Does anyone know if the application for the audition closes at all?  Set number of places? We would be auditioning for Manchester. 

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they didn't say that they closed early, I alluded to this, and they did say that everyone who applied was offered an audition. They were very friendly. This is also our first time doing anything like this! It would be good to share our experiences. Does anyone have RBS too? And before Elmhurst? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they didn't say that they closed early, I alluded to this, and they did say that everyone who applied was offered an audition. They were very friendly. This is also our first time doing anything like this! It would be good to share our experiences. Does anyone have RBS too? And before Elmhurst? 

 

Yes, my DD is auditioning for Manchester RBS associates, for a year 6 place. I think we will probably apply for Elmhurst Manchester too but I'll wait until she has experienced the first one. She's only really done ballet for 1.5 year. I just think that it's something she should have a go at as she really loves ballet and seems to have a natural ability for it. Who knows, worth a try :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Are you taking the photos yourself? I'm not sure I know what a 'good' photo is 😬

 

And are they definitely actual photographs?? Rather than emailed files? 🤔

 Our dance teacher helped us with the RBS photos (and number 6 was still pretty questionable but she hasn’t done that pose in class before so she did her best 😅).

We did the Elmhurst ones ourself this week, as we only just decided to do it and are now on holiday from dance. I still found it quite hard but think they weren’t too bad.  I have got them printed out and am going to post them this weekend.  I did get them checked over messenger with the dance teacher and she thought they were ok. her thoughts are they are looking for potential and she will either be what they want on the day or not so not to worry about them too much. Everyone is vey relaxed about the whole affair where we live 😂 I think DDs ‘ambition’ is quite a novelty 😅

I don’t know what a good photo is either 🤦🏼‍♀️ I have a feeling we are on a steep learning curve..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Astrid said:

 Our dance teacher helped us with the RBS photos (and number 6 was still pretty questionable but she hasn’t done that pose in class before so she did her best 😅).

We did the Elmhurst ones ourself this week, as we only just decided to do it and are now on holiday from dance. I still found it quite hard but think they weren’t too bad.  I have got them printed out and am going to post them this weekend.  I did get them checked over messenger with the dance teacher and she thought they were ok. her thoughts are they are looking for potential and she will either be what they want on the day or not so not to worry about them too much. Everyone is vey relaxed about the whole affair where we live 😂 I think DDs ‘ambition’ is quite a novelty 😅

I don’t know what a good photo is either 🤦🏼‍♀️ I have a feeling we are on a steep learning curve..

 

This is very similar to my situation too :) I took the RBS pictures at home (cat managed to get on one!) But DD dance teacher said she would help with poses so we retook them at the studios and the positioning was better with a few expert tweaks.

Will probably do the same for Elmhurst.

I think they are more likely for reference at this stage so nice clear pictures but not necessarily needing perfection :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be lovely TinyNEdancer. I’d love to hear about how everyone gets on! I had a dream the other night we showed up and they asked why we had come and told us to go home 😆 might get the rescue remedy out (for me 😅) X

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2019 at 13:44, BalletBear said:

Hi! I know I’m a bit older but does anyone know what standard someone applying for yr 11 entry would have to be? Or if there might be any places? Are places for yr 11 associates ever given?  I’m not sure if I should apply or not as I don’t want to use up money for petrol or the application fee. Good luck to anyone applying! Xx

Hi my dd went when she was in Year 11 and really enjoyed the class. 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites

Astrid, creakingstool, anyone else who has sent in the application and photos for Elmhurst - have you sent them in the normal post or have you sent them recorded delivery? It seems a bit unusual popping them in the postbox, not actually knowing that they have been received, unlike an email or an online application form, but I guess this is the system that has worked for years?? 

 

I just need to get it sent now I think 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Astrid, creakingstool, anyone else who has sent in the application and photos for Elmhurst - have you sent them in the normal post or have you sent them recorded delivery? It seems a bit unusual popping them in the postbox, not actually knowing that they have been received, unlike an email or an online application form, but I guess this is the system that has worked for years?? 

 

I just need to get it sent now I think 😆

I've not sent off yet (Manchester closing is later) but I think I'd add recorded delivery so I've got the proof of delivery. Would make me a little more reassured I think :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...