Elmhurst Young Dancers questions

Astrid

12 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello DancePants and welcome out of the lurking shadows!

Hi Jan, and thank you for the welcome 😊.  

I like to think of it less as lurking, more as quietly waiting in the wings for my moment to be of any use 😅 

• Like 3

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I’m new here and new to all this!  My DD auditioned for young dancers and we’re eagerly awaiting results for a year 6 place too.  How many times can you check your email in one day???  Not very hopeful and dreading dealing with the disappointment if it’s a no. 

49 minutes ago, Shellym said:

Hello all, I’m new here and new to all this!  My DD auditioned for young dancers and we’re eagerly awaiting results for a year 6 place too.  How many times can you check your email in one day???  Not very hopeful and dreading dealing with the disappointment if it’s a no. 

Feeling your pain on all counts. Never had so many pointless emails it seems 😂 I feel like it’s going to be Friday maybe? They said before half term.  She is away with brownies from Saturday so at least if at a no I get time to prep...😅

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:58, Astrid said:

Evening everyone 

DD had her elmhurst audition today.

She said they went in, stood in a circle, did some skips to warm up, then they did some centre work. She said this was in first and second position. Plies and pointing toes..No barre work. They didn’t take their shoes and socks off at all. They did froggie on back, cobra and had to lie on their back and get their leg up as near to their face as poss. They did two bits of improv, one where they danced round the room and one where they just used their arms. There were 21 in her group. They said they want to get the results out before half term. Hope that could be of help to some of you! Seems very different to RBS! 🙃 xx

Hello Astrid, what year was your DD auditioning for?  xx

Yes @Astrid year 4 for our DD, she was in the 1045 registration group, I assume they were all year 4 in her group, all girls. She said very little about the audition other than she wasn't as flexible as most of the other girls (feet near face was not good!) but she said it was great fun! always a worrying comment for me.  She also auditioned for RBS early May.  Very doubtful she will get selected but at the moment there is still hope! :) 

Hope you get good news soon xx

Welcome to our new members (and lurkers ☺️)!  Don’t forget to check your spam/junk folders - and remember, a “no” doesn’t necessarily mean “never”, it often means “not this time”.  

Good luck! 

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

Welcome to our new members (and lurkers ☺️)!  Don’t forget to check your spam/junk folders - and remember, a “no” doesn’t necessarily mean “never”, it often means “not this time”.  

Good luck! 

Absolutely this! My dd has had her fair share of no thanks emails during her junior associate years but is starting vocational school in September with an mds. Enjoy it all. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fairydust said:

Yes @Astrid year 4 for our DD, she was in the 1045 registration group, I assume they were all year 4 in her group, all girls. She said very little about the audition other than she wasn't as flexible as most of the other girls (feet near face was not good!) but she said it was great fun! always a worrying comment for me.  She also auditioned for RBS early May.  Very doubtful she will get selected but at the moment there is still hope! :) 

Hope you get good news soon xx

Last year my DD auditioned on a Saturday and we received the result email by the following Tuesday (at shortly after half 3 in the afternoon), just 3 days after! Don’t worry too much about flexibility, my DD has non-existent flexibility 🤣 , slim but non-classical body and so-so feet and despite some girls doing acro style hardcore stretching in the waiting area, she was still one of those lucky enough to be offered a place. I would say I find Elmhurst much more varied and inclusive in who they pick - almost a more overall view of the child as a dancer.  It’s not just about the feet, physique or flexibility.  The audition according to my DD last year had a lot more “dancing bits”, jumps etc. She found it a much more fun yet challenging (in a good way) than the JA audition.

4 hours ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

Last year my DD auditioned on a Saturday and we received the result email by the following Tuesday (at shortly after half 3 in the afternoon), just 3 days after! Don’t worry too much about flexibility, my DD has non-existent flexibility 🤣 , slim but non-classical body and so-so feet and despite some girls doing acro style hardcore stretching in the waiting area, she was still one of those lucky enough to be offered a place. I would say I find Elmhurst much more varied and inclusive in who they pick - almost a more overall view of the child as a dancer.  It’s not just about the feet, physique or flexibility.  The audition according to my DD last year had a lot more “dancing bits”, jumps etc. She found it a much more fun yet challenging (in a good way) than the JA audition.

That’s really helpful and very encouraging - thank you! I have a DD due to audition for a Y4 place. She has had a few other things/programmes in mind but she’s absolutely desperate for an Elmhurst place!! She’s not as flexible as the competitive stretchers we saw at RBS JA audition, nor does she have their ‘confidence’, she’s just a young 8 yo who loves ballet and wants to dance as much as she can! 

All and any insights into the Elmhurst process are welcomed by us all in this position I imagine!! 

31 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

That’s really helpful and very encouraging - thank you! I have a DD due to audition for a Y4 place. She has had a few other things/programmes in mind but she’s absolutely desperate for an Elmhurst place!! She’s not as flexible as the competitive stretchers we saw at RBS JA audition, nor does she have their ‘confidence’, she’s just a young 8 yo who loves ballet and wants to dance as much as she can! 

All and any insights into the Elmhurst process are welcomed by us all in this position I imagine!! 

My DD and I found the Elmhurst YD audition process very lovely, the school has such a lovely atmosphere, not at all daunting. The audition itself my DD found very enjoyable, from how she described it, it sounded like it had so many elements to it that can showcase the strengths of the children. She said it was different from the JA audition in that she felt the panel didn’t look too much at their bodies and she felt like they looked at all the kids, not just a select few. Like your DD, she also just loves to dance and she felt very at ease during the audition. Although something to keep in mind with Elmhurst YD in Birmingham is that quite a number of the kids in each class are also RBS JAs in the BRB centre. I can just imagine how it might feel a bit odd for those who auditioned for both but didn’t get in to JAs, especially since those who are also JAs tend to change into their uniform at Elmhurst after their YD class. For DCs who really wanted both, it might make them feel a bit upset (especially at the start perhaps) seeing a select few walking around in their JA uniform. Like a weekly reminder of an unsuccessful audition. I don’t think this is the case with the other centres.  Ironically I have on several occasions had the chance to watch classes with Elmhurst YD children in them (mixed in with children from other associates) and I must say they stand out with their artistry. 

7 minutes ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

My DD and I found the Elmhurst YD audition process very lovely, the school has such a lovely atmosphere, not at all daunting. The audition itself my DD found very enjoyable, from how she described it, it sounded like it had so many elements to it that can showcase the strengths of the children. She said it was different from the JA audition in that she felt the panel didn’t look too much at their bodies and she felt like they looked at all the kids, not just a select few. Like your DD, she also just loves to dance and she felt very at ease during the audition. Although something to keep in mind with Elmhurst YD in Birmingham is that quite a number of the kids in each class are also RBS JAs in the BRB centre. I can just imagine how it might feel a bit odd for those who auditioned for both but didn’t get in to JAs, especially since those who are also JAs tend to change into their uniform at Elmhurst after their YD class. For DCs who really wanted both, it might make them feel a bit upset (especially at the start perhaps) seeing a select few walking around in their JA uniform. Like a weekly reminder of an unsuccessful audition. I don’t think this is the case with the other centres.  Ironically I have on several occasions had the chance to watch classes with Elmhurst YD children in them (mixed in with children from other associates) and I must say they stand out with their artistry. 

Oh that’s all super helpful, thank you!! I know it’s hard to truly know at this stage, but the more I read about it the more I think she’s right to have her heart set on Elmhurst. There are a couple of older girls she knows from her stage school that go, & she thinks they are wonderful! Sometimes she gets put in a group with them to dance in a performance, and this is chosen via an audition process, so hopefully that’s a tiny bit of a good sign!

What concerns me as I think it will count against her is that she’s not a showy or overly confident girl. She sits and watches the others leap around and stretch whilst they’re waiting to audition, and it isn’t that she isn’t passionate about dancing or where she is, it’s that her confidence only really comes out when she is actually dancing or on a stage! I also wonder if she gets psyched out by the others in the actual audition, but I guess I can’t change her, bless her! 

I do think (as does her teacher) an audition where she gets to dance more will work in her favour, I hope so anyway. She’s definitely more of a classic ballet dancer rather than a super flexible, gymnastic one 😬

I REALLY value the Elmhurst feedback and tips. Thank you so so much 😊

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TinyNEDancer said:

Oh that’s all super helpful, thank you!! I know it’s hard to truly know at this stage, but the more I read about it the more I think she’s right to have her heart set on Elmhurst. There are a couple of older girls she knows from her stage school that go, & she thinks they are wonderful! Sometimes she gets put in a group with them to dance in a performance, and this is chosen via an audition process, so hopefully that’s a tiny bit of a good sign!

What concerns me as I think it will count against her is that she’s not a showy or overly confident girl. She sits and watches the others leap around and stretch whilst they’re waiting to audition, and it isn’t that she isn’t passionate about dancing or where she is, it’s that her confidence only really comes out when she is actually dancing or on a stage! I also wonder if she gets psyched out by the others in the actual audition, but I guess I can’t change her, bless her! 

I do think (as does her teacher) an audition where she gets to dance more will work in her favour, I hope so anyway. She’s definitely more of a classic ballet dancer rather than a super flexible, gymnastic one 😬

I REALLY value the Elmhurst feedback and tips. Thank you so so much 😊

Please don’t worry about her not being showy. I really think the Elmhurst panel can see through that because my DD is exactly the same! That’s why she can’t do festivals or anything like that. She prefers to sit back and watch the gymnastic/acro stretchers and be entertained by them rather than stretch herself. Some of my DD’s friends have stunning classical bodies or are amazing dancers that she’s used to almost not being noticed much even in class, while teachers rave about the others. The good thing about this is that she is overjoyed and stunned whenever she gets yes’s from auditions or when she’s praised  😊 she never has any expectations and so everything she achieves in her quiet way is a pleasant surprise 😊  I actually prefer this because she has no preconceived ideas going into anything, she never thinks she will get places because she is a so and so associate or because she looks like the ideal (because she’s not). She’s the poster girl of “no expectations” 😂 she feels no pressure. Your DD sounds amazing, I’m sure she will get the yes’s she desires and even if for some reason she doesn’t get it this year, it doesn’t mean she won’t ever get it. More importantly, it doesn’t mean she’s less of a dancer than those who get in are (especially in the case of certain scheme!)

• Like 2

My DD (9). Got really worried when waiting for the Elmhurst audition as lots of girls, leaping stretching showing their moves, she went in saying should I have been stretching, I’m not as good as them.  I kept telling her they are looking for potential not perfection.  She’s too a blend into the background girl, not showy but works so hard practicing and trying to improve.  Her dream was to be in the royal ballet, even wrote to Santa telling him above any present she wanted to be in the royal ballet.  We did the ja audition on the dance teachers suggestion and to treat it as a lovely experience.  We had a great time and Elmhurst was just a last minute thing. She came out the Elmhurst audition loving it saying it was so much nicer.  Here’s keeping fingers crossed x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shellym said:

My DD (9). Got really worried when waiting for the Elmhurst audition as lots of girls, leaping stretching showing their moves, she went in saying should I have been stretching, I’m not as good as them.  I kept telling her they are looking for potential not perfection.  She’s too a blend into the background girl, not showy but works so hard practicing and trying to improve.  Her dream was to be in the royal ballet, even wrote to Santa telling him above any present she wanted to be in the royal ballet.  We did the ja audition on the dance teachers suggestion and to treat it as a lovely experience.  We had a great time and Elmhurst was just a last minute thing. She came out the Elmhurst audition loving it saying it was so much nicer.  Here’s keeping fingers crossed x

I think my DD would absolutely agree with your DD. She said the JA audition she was in had too much “looking at feet and body doing ballet poses and stretching” 😆  she just wanted to get on with the dancing. The Elmhurst she found much more fast paced with lots to do. I think at the end of the day certain schemes suit certain kids. Having said that I don’t even know why I agreed to letting her audition for JA again this year, I think she’s just going for the RBS merchandise! She told me the RBS water bottle is the best she’s had as it doesn’t leak hahaha! An expensive way to buy merchandise 😞 I find a lot of kids these days who are aiming maybe to go full time attend multiple associate schemes. I’ve had the chance to see kids from various ones in a few classes and while not generalising, those I see are quite distinct from each other. RBS kids are very clean technicians, kids from other schemes come to their own during Centre/corner or rep work.  Again not to generalise but my DD found that those who attend several have the tendency to always say “At Royal, this is how..” which I can imagine could sound a bit awkward to their other classes’ teachers. And thinking about it now, I find the parents tend to be the same. Not all, but quite a few of them. Hopefully your DD will get both! It’s handy in Birmingham as they timetable the classes I think so kids can do both. Going slightly off topic I know in the last couple of years at least that Elmhurst has made a good number of full time offers to their young dancers. I’ve seen some incoming year 7s bound for various vocational schools this sept -in classes, in person and quite a lot on social media and if I were to be shallow and make my personal observation (which could be inaccurate) I was most impressed with this year’s incoming Elmhurst girls’ class. I think it will be a very strong year 

• Like 1

My sons experience with Elmhurst has been fantastic. The classes in Plymouth are small and friendly. The emphasis is on development of correct technique and although they do stretches this is by no means the core. Good luck to everyone it really is a lovely experience xxx

DD was also quite scared by a lot of the stretching at the first insight day she went to, as well as the fact a lot of girls knew each other (which makes one more confident). At the auditions, we made her a little play list (things like little mix, power) and got there at the last minute, so she was zoned out and didn’t see as much! it worked a treat...

@Balletmamatotwo thank you for all your insights into elmhurst it seems like an amazing place. DD enjoyed going to see a ‘real life’ ballet school! 

@TinyNEDancer good luck to your DD! 

@Shellym the wait continues - wondering if any chance could be today? 🤔

6 hours ago, Astrid said:

DD was also quite scared by a lot of the stretching at the first insight day she went to, as well as the fact a lot of girls knew each other (which makes one more confident). At the auditions, we made her a little play list (things like little mix, power) and got there at the last minute, so she was zoned out and didn’t see as much! it worked a treat...

@Balletmamatotwo thank you for all your insights into elmhurst it seems like an amazing place. DD enjoyed going to see a ‘real life’ ballet school! 

Well I’ve checked my email 100 times today 🤣🤣🤣

21 hours ago, Balletmamatotwo said:

Please don’t worry about her not being showy. I really think the Elmhurst panel can see through that because my DD is exactly the same! That’s why she can’t do festivals or anything like that. She prefers to sit back and watch the gymnastic/acro stretchers and be entertained by them rather than stretch herself. Some of my DD’s friends have stunning classical bodies or are amazing dancers that she’s used to almost not being noticed much even in class, while teachers rave about the others. The good thing about this is that she is overjoyed and stunned whenever she gets yes’s from auditions or when she’s praised  😊 she never has any expectations and so everything she achieves in her quiet way is a pleasant surprise 😊  I actually prefer this because she has no preconceived ideas going into anything, she never thinks she will get places because she is a so and so associate or because she looks like the ideal (because she’s not). She’s the poster girl of “no expectations” 😂 she feels no pressure. Your DD sounds amazing, I’m sure she will get the yes’s she desires and even if for some reason she doesn’t get it this year, it doesn’t mean she won’t ever get it. More importantly, it doesn’t mean she’s less of a dancer than those who get in are (especially in the case of certain scheme!)

I love this. Your daughter sounds wonderful! And thank you again. I’ve just read some of the things you said to my DD tonight and she found it really interesting and encouraging. We’re auditioning in Sunderland so ages to wait until then, it’s not until 22nd June 🙃

12 hours ago, Astrid said:

Good luck to your daughter too, @Astrid!! I would love to know how she does when you find out. I’ll keep everything crossed for you!

4 minutes ago, Lara Eschler said:

Good afternoon,

has anyone heard yet? My son was in group 2 on the 11th of May 2019.

all the best

Lara

Ive not heard anything yet x

DD was in group 3 on 18th 

Edited by Fairydust
  • Like 1