Natalia Osipova -- her own projects

Natalia Osipova leaps into a new programme of contemporary dance at Sadler’s Wells, 29 June - 3 July 2016

I was wondering about booking for this. Is anyone else going? Not sure what to expect, but that girl's got "it" as far as I am concerned and this could be a rare opportunity to get within range to see her face! 

Edited by alison
To add context

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not going because I don't like solo shows but it's a good opportunity to see Osipova close to at a moderately reasonable price (which is still much more than anything else at SW including ENB, NB and Rambert with large casts and live orchestras).

this could be a rare opportunity to get within range to see her face! 

Not for me :)  I can't remember when I'm going, but I'm pretty sure I'm virtually in the back row of the Second Circle, so will need tank binoculars!

• Like 1

I'm going to this and have just seen that Osipova and Polunin are to present this show at the Edingburgh International Festival in August. Info on the EIF website. I wonder how that will be received?

Ecstatically I would have thought!

• Like 3

And the official press release:

Natalia Osipova

Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui / Russell Maliphant / Arthur Pita
WORLD PREMIERE
Wednesday 29 June - Sunday 3 July 2016
Performances: Wed - Sat at 7.30pm, Sat at 2.30pm & Sun at 4pm
Tickets: £12 - £60
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com

"Visceral, emotional intensity blended with impressive technical excellence"
Huffington Post on Natalia Osipova

Multi-award-winning ballerina Natalia Osipova takes on a programme of new contemporary work commissioned by her and produced by Sadler’s Wells, featuring renowned contemporary choreographers Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui, Russell Maliphant and Arthur Pita. The trio create pieces inspired by Osipova for the production, which receives its World Premiere at Sadler’s Wells from 29 June - 3 July 2016. The production then visits the Festival Theatre, Edinburgh as part of the 2016 Edinburgh International Festival from 12 - 14 August 2016.   

Osipova will be joined on stage by Sergei Polunin, which marks the first time that they will have danced together in the UK.

Natalia Osipova is a Principal with The Royal Ballet. She joined the company in 2013 after her guest appearance in Swan Lake, and has performed lead roles in GiselleDon QuixoteThe Nutcracker, La Fille mal gardée and DGV: Danse à grande vitesse. She has created roles in Wayne McGregor’s Tetractys and Woolf Works, and Alastair Marriott’s Connectome. She started her formal ballet training at the age of eight, before joining the Bolshoi Ballet at the age of 18. She has also danced with American Ballet Theatre and Mikhailovsky Ballet.

Sadler’s Wells Associate Artist and Artistic Director of Royal Ballet of Flanders Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui creates Qutb, a new trio for Osipova and two male dancers, Jason Kittleberger (Cedar Lake Contemporary Dance Company) and James O’Hara (recently seen in Bolero at Paris Opera Ballet with Marina Abramovitch). Qutb features Cherkaoui’s trademark alchemy of movement vocabularies, musical genres and cultures with lighting designed by recent Knight of Illumination winner Fabiana Piccoli and a soundscape designed by Felix Buxton from Basement Jaxx. Cherkaoui will also work with Japanese costume designer Kimie Nakano, a frequent collaborator with Akram Khan Company.

Cherkaoui has created more than 20 works including zero degreesBabel, Sutra and m¡longa and is acknowledged as one of Europe’s most exciting choreographers. He continues to work with a variety of theatres, opera houses and ballet companies from around the world including Dutch National Ballet, Paris Opera Ballet, GöteborgsOperan Danskompani, Bunkamura Theatre Cocoon in Tokyo and Stuttgart Ballet. Cherkaoui received international acclaim for his choreography in Joe Wright’s feature film Anna Karenina (2012).

Russell Maliphant creates a new duet for Osipova and Sergei Polunin. The piece features lighting by Maliphant’s long-time collaborator and Knight of Illumination award-winner Michael Hulls. Hulls, a Sadler’s Wells Associate Artist, also received an Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance in 2014. The new work features a soundtrack from UK composer and sound artist Scanner.

Maliphant is one of the longest-standing Associate Artists of Sadler’s Wells. He trained at the Royal Ballet School and graduated into Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet Company before leaving to pursue a career in independent dance. As a dancer he worked with companies such as DV8 Physical Theatre, Michael Clark Company, Laurie Booth and Rosemary Butcher. He also studied anatomy, physiology and bio-mechanics. He became certified as a practitioner of the Rolfing Method of Structural Integration in 1994, which has subsequently informed both his teaching and choreographic work.

Throughout his career Maliphant has set works on renowned companies and artists including: Sylvie Guillem, Robert Lepage, The Ballet Boyz, Lyon Opera Ballet, Ricochet Dance Company, CobosMika, The Batsheva Ensemble, and Ballet de Lorraine. He has been the recipient of several awards including two Olivier Awards, a Critics’ Circle National Dance Award for Best Choreography (Modern) and a South Bank Show Award.

The final part of the evening sees Royal Opera House regular Arthur Pita create a new duet for Osipova and Polunin entitled Run Mary Run. Pita crafts a dark, comedic story for the pair, highlighting Osipova’s natural gift for acting. The work features a soundtrack from The Shangri-La’s, The Crystals and David Lynch, mixed by Pita’s long-time collaborator Frank Moon. Pita and Osipova previously worked together on Facada which was seen at the London Coliseum in 2014 as part of Solo for Two and featured Osipova dancing with Ivan Vasiliev.

Pita has also choreographed movement for plays, operas and musicals, including Women Beware Women at the National Theatre, Becky Shaw at the Almeida and La Bohème and Show Boat at the Royal Albert Hall. His production of The Little Match Girl received rave reviews at its premiere in 2014, and returned to Sadler’s Wells’ Lilian Baylis Studio for the 2015 Christmas season. Pita recently premiered new work Cristaux, part of a triple bill for Ballet Black at the Barbican.

A Sadler's Wells Production 

Notes to Editors

Listings information:

Natalia Osipova
Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui / Russell Maliphant / Arthur Pita

Sadler’s Wells, London 
Wednesday 29 June - Sunday 3 July 2016
Performances: Wed - Sat at 7.30pm, Sat at 2.30pm & Sun at 4pm
Tickets: £12 - £60
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com
Tickets currently on sale

Festival Theatre, Edinburgh
Friday 12 – Sunday 14 August 2016
Performances: Fri – Sun at 7.30pm
Tickets: £12 – £32
Ticket Office: 0131 473 2000 or www.eif.org.uk
Tickets on sale to the general public Saturday 16 April at 10am

ABOUT NATALIA OSIPOVA
Russian dancer Natalia Osipova is a Principal of The Royal Ballet. She joined the Company as a Principal in autumn 2013, after appearing as a Guest Artist the previous season as Odette/Odile (Swan Lake) with Carlos Acosta. Her roles with the Company include Giselle, Kitri (Don Quixote), Sugar Plum Fairy (The Nutcracker), Lise (La Fille mal gardée), Titania (The Dream), Juliet, Tatiana (Onegin), Manon, Natalia Petrovna (A Month in the Country) and roles in SerenadeDGV: Danse à grande vitesse and Tchaikovsky Pas de deux. She has created roles in Wayne McGregor’s Tetractys and Woolf Worksand Alastair Marriott’s Connectome.

Osipova was born in Moscow and began dancing at the age of five. Aged eight she joined the Mikhail Lavrovsky Ballet School. From 1995 to 2004 she trained at the Moscow State Academy of Choreography and on graduating entered the corps of the Bolshoi Ballet, where she was promoted to Principal in 2010. Her repertory there included Kitri (Don Quixote), Giselle, Nikiya and Gamzatti (La Bayadère), La Sylphide, Esmerelda, Princess Aurora (The Sleeping Beauty) and Swanilda (Coppélia). In 2011 she left the Bolshoi to join the Mikhailovsky Ballet as a Principal.

Osipova has appeared as a guest artist with companies around the world. In March 2012 she became a Principal of American Ballet Theatre, where she created the title role in Alexei Ratmansky’s The Firebird. Her awards include Golden Masks for her performances in Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room (2008) and La Sylphide (2009), Critics’ Circle National Dance Awards (Best Female Dancer, 2007 and 2010) and a Benois de la Danse Award (Best Female Dancer, 2008).

ABOUT SADLER’S WELLS
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance house, committed to producing, commissioning and presenting new works and to bringing the best international and UK dance to London and worldwide audiences. Under the Artistic Directorship of Alistair Spalding, the theatre’s acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap.

Since 2005, it has helped to bring over 100 new dance works to the stage and its award-winning commissions and collaborative productions regularly tour internationally. Sadler’s Wells supports 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies, an Associate Company and two International Associate Companies. It also nurtures the next generation of talent through its New Wave Associates and Summer University programmes, its Wild Card initiative and hosting of the National Youth Dance Company.

Located in Islington, north London, the current theatre is the sixth to have stood on the site since it was first built by Richard Sadler in 1683. The venue has played an illustrious role in the history of theatre ever since, with The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and English National Opera all having started at Sadler’s Wells.

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation and currently receives approximately 10% of its revenue from Arts Council England. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had this warning in from Sadler's Wells:

"As you may be aware, all of the work shown in the evening is brand new. It has been brought to our attention that one of the works, Arthur Pita’s piece entitled Run Mary Run, will contain scenes of an adult nature, including brief scenes of simulated drug use."

"As you may be aware, all of the work shown in the evening is brand new. It has been brought to our attention that one of the works, Arthur Pita’s piece entitled Run Mary Run, will contain scenes of an adult nature, including brief scenes of simulated drug use."

That doesn't fill my heart with joyful expectation... :wacko:

However I must remember Mayerling, which could of course carry the same health warning (though not sure if it does).

I can't think that any of these scenes will be any more shocking than some of the simulated sex scenes in various ballets!

Where was that stated, Beryl? I can't find it.

It was when it was first announced, don't know where, and would have been by Arthur Pita, unless Run,Mary,Run is based on it although it would be called Run,Blanche,Run :)

• Like 1

The new season booklet for Sadler's Wells arrived in the mail yesterday and I see they have another run of this programme from September 27th to October 1st, so there will be another opportunity to get tickets and you could see what the reviews of the initial run are like before booking.  I am now tempted to return some of my June/July tickets for credit and wait and potentially see this in the autumn after initial reviews.  (I was a bit underwhelmed by the SW autumn season, although Alvin Ailey, BRB (Tempest) and the already-open-for-booking ENB/Kahn Giselle will be on the booking list for me.  That's a topic for another thread, though.)

Oh, I'm a friend of SW and haven't yet received my season brochure.

This is unusually early for them, as they usually drop it on you in the Saturday morning post when booking opens on Monday morning and give you almost no time to work out what you want to book.  I stopped being a patron there in the last few months, so it may be I am getting it a bit early because I am still in a patron database.  Mind you, they have never delivered the brochure early for patrons in the past and don't offer any timing priority in booking for patrons, which is one of the reasons I dropped it and switched back to being a member/friend.  I complained loudly about the consistently last minute delivery of the brochure a number of times over the last few years and was always told that they didn't get the scheduling confirmed until the last minute and so couldn't send the brochure earlier.  The point I made that they could always shift the booking date back a week (so we all had time to digest the brochure and work out what we wanted without scrambling) fell on deaf ears. 

Edited by barton22

• 1 year later...

Natalia Osipova -- Pure Dance WORLD PREMIERE 
Wednesday 12 - Sunday 16 September.    Tickets: £12 - £60 
Superstar ballerina Natalia Osipova returns to Sadler’s Wells with a hand-picked programme that combines classical ballet and contemporary repertoire, featuring a very special guest. 
American Ballet Theatre principal David Hallberg will join Osipova in both Antony Tudor’s Leaves Are Fading, and a brand new and specially commissioned work by Alexei Ratmansky. 
The evening also includes Israeli choreographer Roy Assaf’s Six Years Later and a new work by Iván Pérez created for this programme. 
“A spirit of joy, of technical bravura, of sheerest delight” Financial Times on Natalia Osipova 
A Sadler’s Wells 20th Anniversary Commission       A Sadler’s Wells Production 

https://www.sadlerswells.com/whats-on/2018/natalia-osipova-pure-dance/

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, alison said:

I'm assuming (hoping?) that The Leaves Are Fading will be just the pas de deux rather than the whole work.

I may be mistaken but I seem to recall previous publicity saying it would be the full work. But then, it was also lodged in my head as the Lilac Garden, so I'm clearly not a reliable witness!

11 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I may be mistaken but I seem to recall previous publicity saying it would be the full work. But then, it was also lodged in my head as the Lilac Garden, so I'm clearly not a reliable witness!

I doubt that it would be the full Leaves are Fading as that is a larger Company piece.  I bought a number of tickets to this on the strength of your suggestion of Lilac Garden - which is very much a chamber piece and thus would have been doable.  Lilac Garden (which premiered in the Notting Hill's Mercury Theatre in 1936) is something I was truly looking forward to.  I will certainly go to this programme ... but not as much as I thought I would originally.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

I doubt that it would be the full Leaves are Fading as that is a larger Company piece.  I bought a number of tickets to this on the strength of your suggestion of Lilac Garden - which is very much a chamber piece and thus would have been doable.  Lilac Garden (which premiered in the Notting Hill's Mercury Theatre in 1936) is something I was truly looking forward to.  I will certainly go to this programme ... but not as much as I thought I would originally.  

So I wasn't imagining it!

12 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

I just found your source, Lizbie 1.  Here's a Google translation of part of an Osipova interview (the highlighting is mine):

"Well, I have a lot of plans and projects. After Peter in London, I have Swan, Manon and Giselle with my beloved partner David Holberg. And in Sadler's Wells I will have my own project. I really love the choreographer Anthony Tudor - and at last I will dance his "Lilac Garden". Even in the program "Other Dances" Robbins, I already danced in Moscow, but I want to work on them properly. And - about a miracle! - Ratmansky agreed to put the duo for fifteen minutes specially for me. And for David, I hope."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kommersant.ru%2Fdoc%2F3534359

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

I just found your source, Lizbie 1.  Here's a Google translation of part of an Osipova interview (the highlighting is mine):

"Well, I have a lot of plans and projects. After Peter in London, I have Swan, Manon and Giselle with my beloved partner David Holberg. And in Sadler's Wells I will have my own project. I really love the choreographer Anthony Tudor - and at last I will dance his "Lilac Garden". Even in the program "Other Dances" Robbins, I already danced in Moscow, but I want to work on them properly. And - about a miracle! - Ratmansky agreed to put the duo for fifteen minutes specially for me. And for David, I hope."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kommersant.ru%2Fdoc%2F3534359

Thank you - I was wondering where I'd got that idea from!

24 minutes ago, Sim said:

No indication anywhere of who the other two participating dancers are?

How nice to see some Tudor being danced in the UK!

I haven't seen any since Rambert danced Dark Elegies in 2005 - what has there been since then?