Who will follow Bintley?

I have just read that David Bintley is stepping down as Director at Birmingham at the end of this season. This is devastating news. It seems suspiciously sudden.

Who do we think/hope will follow him?

Please God it will be a Director anxious to maintain this Company as a classical Company.

Who are the favourites ?

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, I have HUGE admiration for Marion Tait, Robert Parker, and Michael O'Hare. However, after 24 years, it is possible that BRB would benefit from a fresh pair of eyes.

Manuel Legris is leaving Vienna. Nacho Duato is leaving Berlin.  Might Iain Webb (Sarasota) be tempted? Christopher Hampson (Scottish)? David Nixon (Northern)? Ernst Meisner (Dutch National Junior Company)? Johan Kobborg?

There are many very strong possible candidates.

• Like 4

I put a suggestion on the announcement form - which I won't copy over here.

The Board may want a noted BRITISH choreographer to lead the company.  Again it would be grand (and I think important) to maintain the classical emphasis of the Company (for which reason I'm sure Duato would be out of the running given his track record in Spain, Russia and Germany.).  Wheeldon at this point I should think has just too many irons in DIFFERENT fires ... but what of Liam Scarlett???  Might this not be seen as a good move for him now that he has worked not only with the Royal Ballet but a wide berth of international balletic outlets.  

If people were drawing names from international figures (e.g., outside of the family) - what of Peter Boal? 

10 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

After the disaster at the RB please keep it in the family.

Continuity is of real importance with the Royal Companies

I do tend to agree with this, especially given the need to maintain BRB's distinctive qualities and heritage in a difficult 'market place'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Changing tack if I may I dread the thought that so many of the dancers David has encouraged may not want to stay on. Another reason fo bringing in Robert Parker ? He is well known and admired by the company.

1 hour ago, MAX said:

I don't think being well know and admired by the company is enough...

He has more credentials than being well known and admired by the company.  He spent his dancing career at the company and is imbued with its heritage.  He has been gaining experience over the last few years of artistic directorship at Elmhurst.

As a member of the Friends and having seen Robert Parker at dooooos and giving talks I would also say that he has the ability to represent a company confidently in public and that is also a good skill to have.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MAX said:

I don't think being well know and admired by the company is enough...

In terms of criteria, it seems like only the day before yesterday the Forum was discussing what seemed to some to be a catastrophic funding crisis at BRB. 

If that was and is true, the next appointment will inevitably have to deal with it in one or more ways. Just saying. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1

Can I throw into the ring another name, Bruce Sansom, once tipped to be the next director of the Royal Ballet. He has all the experience and skills needed and also created several roles for David Bintley. I think Marion Tait and Desmond Kelly are both too old for the job, someone younger is needed and I agree Robert Parker would be an ideal choice but he may not wish to leave Elmhurst. I hope, however that Marion will remain for a few more years at least as she will be greatly missed as well if she leaves.

• Like 7

Geoff: I made  a case for Cathy Marston on the other thread.  Were funding levels to be an imminent issue, I'd add here that, within weeks of arriving in Bern as Director in 2007, she found she had to mount a political campaign to keep her company in being - and was successful.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

After the disaster at the RB please keep it in the family.

Continuity is of real importance with the Royal Companies

Totally agree that it should be somebody from the RB cradle - may I suggest Bruce Sansom or Adam Cooper?

• Like 3

Two Russians with very strong links to Britain should also be considered, both have experience as directors and most importantly both are artistically conservative and unlikely to turn the company into a Brummie version of POB.  For your consideration I give you Misha Messerer and Irek Mukhamedov.  The former is still at the Mikhailovsky in St Petersburg but soon to leave and the latter is teaching here in the UK at present.  I wonder if either or both would throw their hat in the ring.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Two Russians with very strong links to Britain should also be considered, both have experience as directors and most importantly both are artistically conservative and unlikely to turn the company into a Brummie version of POB.  For your consideration I give you Misha Messerer and Irek Mukhamedov.  The former is still at the Mikhailovsky in St Petersburg but soon to leave and the latter is teaching here in the UK at present.  I wonder if either or both would throw their hat in the ring.

MAB can you please report your specific reference for Messerer's 'soon' departure from the Mikhailovsky - given that he was only officially appointed as 'Artistic Director' of the Mikhailovsky Ballet in January of THIS YEAR.  The official reference of this is quoted here.  I searched to find details of the information you quote but sadly I could find no reference.  

I agree he would make a fine director of ANY classically based ballet company.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Can I ask a dim question?

Why is the BRB so under funded?  Is it specific to that company, does it apply to all ballet companies in the UK, or is it just that the funding has been cut back on all arts?

Yes, I believe this is related to a huge payout that the council have to make to women employees who won the case over unequal pay. The back pay figure is eye watering and the council has had little choice other than to slash budgets. I guess BRB was an obvious target given the huge subsidies that the company had enjoyed for many years. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-34069437

Edited by Odyssey

At a Friend’s event a couple of years ago we were told that the Birmingham City Council grant to the company would be gradually reduced over around 5 years. It came as something of a shock when it was reduced by 60% in one go.

I believe the grant from ACE is on a par with the other big companies proportionately speaking.