Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Janet - I can't access the article in The Australian without becoming a subscriber, it seems. Am I doing something wrong?

And re cinema showings - we went to see the Bolshoi's Nutcracker at the Basingstoke Odeon yesterday (where such offerings are proving very popular) and were dismayed to find we were behind three pre-teen girls, each with two or three bags of R U S T L Y sweets. However, once the show started, they were so engrossed that they forgot to eat and were model ballet-watchers! The only fly in the ointment was granny, sitting in their midst, who kept on bobbing left and right to make sure the girls were ok!!

Re the link to The Australian - it is indeed on their Subscription pages.  However, if you copy this headline into Google, it should bring the article up as first entry and you should probably be able to gain access to it:

All irk and no play make for a night to forget

I have no real idea why this happens, and it doesn't always work, but I've just made it work for me, having been denied access by going through the paper's Theatre page.  The things you pick up after some years of doing Links!

Well, a first in terms of audience behaviour for me today. The two people next to me were commenting to one another throughout the performance of Alice. I was tempted to enquire whether they realised that it was the norm to watch ballet in silence but seasonal goodwill won the day. I just hope that it isn't a sign of things to come!

Another first for me today, too: two toddlers(?) brought into the auditorium in buggies - despite the age guidance on the tickets saying 5+. Admittedly, I didn't hear a peep out of them from where I was, but I don't know how long they lasted out.

I don't think it does, actually: faute de mieux, even from a child, I have always left my ice cream cartons neatly on the floor under my seat in the cinema (and sometimes elsewhere if necessary).  After all, they pay someone to come round and pick them up afterwards, and there's usually nowhere else to put them.  What I wouldn't do, though, is to scatter items of food or drink on the floor like the disgusting people I had the misfortune to share a row with when I went to see Skyfall.   

Actually at that venue there are bins around the edge of the cinema so it is not hard to dispose of rubbish at the end and it is often a team which includes theatre volunteers that pick up rubbish at the end, all of whom are very grateful to those who don't leave a mess behind them.  

• Like 3

A few weeks ago I saw BRB's Nutcracker; as the music for the Arabian dance began, someone behind me whispered very loudly "is this the Turkish dance? Yes! It's the Turkish one!" Oh dear.

As it happens probably not as silly as it sounds - most of that part of the world was part of the Ottoman Empire (capital Istanbul) when the music was written.

Re rubbish - some years ago I was a volunteer usher at the Liverpool Playhouse.  When I started to pick up rubbish I was told to leave it as that was why they employed cleaners!

• Like 1

On the rubbish front I agree - I hate having to pick my way through rubbish on the floor as I head out - don't want the dregs of someones drinks over my shoes or sweet wrappers stuck to them.  Most theatres that I go to bring a rubbish bag down at the end of the interval and have people collecting rubbish at the exit - for those too lazy to use the bins.

For the issue of Arabian dance or Turkish dance - that mistake in the Nutcracker would not bother me at all.  Arabian and Turkish dances have many similarities and the costumes are often similar too.  Plus it is the coffee dance and I think many people would associate Turkey with coffee.  Going back in history to when the music was written links would have been even stronger if they were part of the same empire.

It shows that the people watching Nutcracker were aware that it was not a purely classical production.  As an aside, if I went to see a ballet that was new to me and got the name of a dance or character wrong, I would hate to think that other members of the audience were judging me.

• Like 1

Janet, I have a 'thing' about litter and rubbish.  I don't think cleaners are employed to clear the squalor that some people create - on streets, parks, public transport - or, anywhere.

I totally agree with Bill. I was brought up to respect public places and cleaners; to appreciate that cleaners are there to "clean" and not "to clean up after me" - a huge difference in mentality.

As it happens probably not as silly as it sounds - most of that part of the world was part of the Ottoman Empire (capital Istanbul) when the music was written.

Ah. That makes my comment, in hindsight, seem rather childish and pedantic, doesn't it?! I'm sorry, I stand corrected.

And 2dancersmum, I certainly didn't mean it in a judgemental way, I do hope I haven't offended you, I would never deliberately offend anyone x

Well I embarrassed myself by being told off by theatre staff recently and it was totally justified!  I was in the upper circle and had my coat on the balcony! Not during the performance but I had put it there during the interval so black marks for me. Hopefully I redeemed myself in the theatres eyes as I put our rubbish in the bin on my way out, as I always do.

Volunteers - at a cinema? It's not another Picturehouse intent on trying to avoid paying a living wage, is it?

Worthing Theatres include films at the Connaught studio cinema and the Connaught show films as well as having  theatre shows( there is also the Pavilion Theatre and concerts etc at the Assembly Hall. Volunteers provide extra help at very busy times.

I just saw part of the Berlin ballet's Nutcracker on TV and they did the Arabian as an Egyptian dance - you know with the Tutankhamun arm positions. They also did the "Three Ivans" as sort of wierd jesters with hoops. I guess it's difficult to know what anything is nowadays!!!!

• Like 2

Just another "rubbish" post : we stood in the SC at the Opera House recently and the lady on my left had some sweets, which she ate quietly enough but then left the wrappers on the floor at her/my feet. So during the interval I picked them up and put them neatly in a line on the rail in front of her place, then looked innocently into my cast sheets when she returned. No more sweet wrappers to be seen.....

• Like 15

Just another "rubbish" post : we stood in the SC at the Opera House recently and the lady on my left had some sweets, which she ate quietly enough but then left the wrappers on the floor at her/my feet. So during the interval I picked them up and put them neatly in a line on the rail in front of her place, then looked innocently into my cast sheets when she returned. No more sweet wrappers to be seen.....

Brilliant Simon!

This is my first post here in this forum, but if I may say, I am really glad to see others who encounter poor behaviour at shows. Thank goodness I am not alone. Yesterday afternoon at Swan Lake wasn't the best for audience behaviour. The chap next to me began to check his phone every 10 minutes. I am afraid I "lost it", and reached over to flip it over/grab it if I had to! That certainly got his attention, and thereafter, no checking. Except from his companion to the left, who checked hers just as Odette was deciding to abandon life (so, the climax of the whole thing!) Really not good at all. Ill-mannered, I find. I am just amazed that people don't think that what they do might not be distracting to others!

Edited by nickwellings
  • Like 1

Some stunning audience behaviour in the stalls circle at the Alice matinee last Saturday.

Didn't particularly notice the couple in the first act (always possible that they only arrived for the 2nd), but boy were they noticeable to all and sundry in the second act.

When the curtain just went up, the woman was filming (holding up her mobile 'gig-style' over her head) and an usher had to practically shout at her from stalls to put away her phone. Madame did so, ever so slowly checking the pictures first. Of course, she got it out again later. At that point (remember - the curtain was up and the 2nd act had started), the seat next to her was empty. But lo and behold, her partner was on his way, a glass in one hand, eating a snack and casually making everyone get up so he could cleave his way to his beloved. Once he arrived, he started chatting loudly, possibly discussing the weather or checking what he might had missed.

When the older lady behind him asked them after 5 minutes to stop talking, he does what every charmer would do: turn around to stare her down, because how dare she interrupt him when he's having fun.

They continued talking more or less through the performance (a little less after I lost my temper and surprised myself with the vehemence of shushing noise I produced...not my best moment, but just couldn't believe their full-voiced constant talking), canoodling at times to make sure that people behind them were disturbed both visually and aurally.

Needless to say, a whole raft of people complaint about them and the usher called the house manager to talk to the couple. They probably got the largest amount of deathstares I've seen from other audience members on their way out as well. My friend told the woman that her behaviour was rather selfish and the woman laught at that, but thankfully they didn't come back for act 3. What a pair of wallies.

• Like 1

Honestly stalls Circle seats are not exactly cheap! Sorry you had to put up with this Coated.

Difficult.....does one get oneself worked up and (at my age at least) risk sending ones blood pressure through the roof or just quietly put up with such ....in the end ..ignorant behaviour!

I suppose the best thing is to just complain to the management in the interval and hope they can do something about it!

As this couple didn't turn up for the final Act they were not really that interested in ballet anyway.

• Like 2