Audience Behaviour

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly audience behaviour because the people concerned aren't there. But who are culprits who repeatedly leave front row seats in the ROH Orchestra Stalls empty? The usual four seats were again vacant for Onegin (Osipova/Golding) last Friday night when others would have killed to have a ticket. It doesn't give a good impression to the dancers either as the gaps are clearly visible from the stage.

• Like 1

I am just wondering if there is a device that theatres could install to block the mobile phone signal?  I still find it astonishing that if there is a musical interlude between acts, people HAVE to get their phones out and check to see if some important text/email has come in.  

When I went to see Swan Lake at the Coliseum, I was behind a gentleman who kept tilting his head over to one side, and then back over to the other side. As the seats had marvellous sight lines, there was absolutely no need for it, but each time he did it to the left, I would have to move my head the other way.  His female companion was quite still to start with, but then seemed to get infected with the urge to do the same, and after a while it was driving me nuts.  And I don't suppose those sitting behind me were exactly overjoyed either. 

At a suitable moment I tapped them both on the shoulder and asked them rather sharply  to stop moving about.  They looked at each other and laughed, but they did stop.  In the interval I heard them babbling away to each other in a foreign language, so they had obviously understood my tone, rather than the words!

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

At a recent Onegin, the phone of the lady next to me went off. The dancers and orchestra must have heard it as we were in the front row of the orchestra stalls. However, instead of being highly embarrassed and switching it off, she proceeded to check her phone for emails/texts every 5 mins. The back light of her phone kept driving me nuts.

Unfortunately, some people simply don't understand what "the use of phones is prohibited" means, or they do but have no respect for the audience, dancers or orchestra. I am fed up with asking people to behave appropriately and risking a potential confrontation. So I grit my teeth, wait for the interval, then tell the usher the seat number of the offending culprit so they can deal with them. That way, the rules are enforced from the horse's mouth and you avoid being labelled fussy or unreasonable (!). If it comes from an usher, the rules are taken more seriously for some unknown reason. I am there to enjoy the performance, not to teach people good manners.

At a dress rehearsal on a stalls circle bench seat, the lady behind me kicked my backside quite forcefully, obviously by accident (I presume!). It was totally unexpected and I just laughed it off as I was taken aback. We made eye contact, she knew exactly what she had done but no apology was offered. She then proceeded to shuffle her feet and continually kick my partner's backside throughout the first act. When my partner finally had enough of having his backside kicked, he grabbed her ankle during the next assault and gave it a good squeeze before plonking it firmly on the ground. The kicking then ceased. The message had been received.

During the last Bolshoi residency at ROH, there was an elderly gentleman (with fingernails about 1 inch long) emitting what could only be described as a stale, foul, "unwashed" odour, It was extremely powerful and slowly infused the area surrounding him. It was something really hard to ignore; I wrapped my scarf around my nose and my eyes were watering. At the interval, the man next to finally cracked and went on a tirade. To paraphrase him: "You smell terrible. You are a disgrace. I will have the management remove you. This is the second time I've had to sit next to you."

It was an awful scene. This man was at the end of his tether as it was unbearably smelly. The elderly man was so upset and visibly shaking from the onslaught. His only offence was to be smell very bad. I felt terrible for him as he was effectively being humiliated and embarrassed in public. The usher attended the scene but there was little they could do other than give the elderly gentleman a quick bath! I closed my eyes and slunk away, dreading the final act. On returning to our seats, a compromise of sorts had been reached. An elegant lady dressed from head to toe in Chanel had swapped seats with the complainant, so she and her daughter had become a sacrificial buffer zone. She was chatting away to the elderly man, being very kind to him - I guess she was trying to reassure him that he wasn't a complete leper. I applaud this lady. She made the ultimate sacrifice and "took it for the team" and was very kind to the upset man. This was the most uncomfortable situation I've ever encountered at ROH.

I wonder if this lady is reading this now? If so, thank you for compromising in order to keep the peace and thank you for showing such kindness to a stranger.

• Like 6

That last incident was awful for you, Minxette. I think that I might have just gone home. The lady in Chanel was an absolute sweetheart. What's with people kicking the back of someone else's seat? You might expect it of children but not of grown adults.

Edited by aileen
  • Like 2

Then there is behaviour like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31160309

That's a bit OTT, isn't it? Wouldn't like to see them do it to any serial offfenders at the ROH.

I am just wondering if there is a device that theatres could install to block the mobile phone signal?  I still find it astonishing that if there is a musical interlude between acts, people HAVE to get their phones out and check to see if some important text/email has come in.

It's a psychological thing in many cases: some people suffer significant stress when deprived of their phones for any length of time - especially now they are smartphones. I mean, they might be missing out on something :( Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

"When I went to see Swan Lake at the Coliseum, I was behind a gentleman who kept tilting his head over to one side, and then back over to the other side. As the seats had marvellous sight lines, there was absolutely no need for it, but each time he did it to the left, I would have to move my head the other way.  His female companion was quite still to start with, but then seemed to get infected with the urge to do the same, and after a while it was driving me nuts.  And I don't suppose those sitting behind me were exactly overjoyed either." 

"At a dress rehearsal on a stalls circle bench seat, the lady behind me kicked my backside quite forcefully, obviously by accident (I presume!). It was totally unexpected and I just laughed it off as I was taken aback. We made eye contact, she knew exactly what she had done but no apology was offered. She then proceeded to shuffle her feet and continually kick my partner's backside throughout the first act."

Yes, I've had both of these, too. More often the former than the latter.

At a recent Onegin, the phone of the lady next to me went off. The dancers and orchestra must have heard it as we were in the front row of the orchestra stalls. However, instead of being highly embarrassed and switching it off, she proceeded to check her phone for emails/texts every 5 mins. The back light of her phone kept driving me nuts.

Really quite unbelievable. Perhaps this is one of the culprits who usually doesn't show up for those seats in the front row? In that case, this could be an indication of why.

"I am there to enjoy the performance, not to teach people good manners."

That's certainly the theory ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know this kind of thing has been mentioned before on this thread, but last night at Onegin the curtain had barely hit the stage when people were running (yes, running) for the exit. The cast had just given absolutely everything in an unforgettable performance and these people couldn't be bothered to stay even one second to applaud them. I know it happens every night but it just really annoyed me last night. So rude.

Edited by mshovelt
  • Like 2

I agree in principle - but do remember that some people have to rush for a last train!

I have a friend who lives in Nottingham and she has to make a run for it when the curtain comes down or she would be stranded.

Well, at least one of the culprits last night was a regular who sat mid-row and doesn't normally run off immediately. Yes, some people genuinely only have one train left to get home. Though a lot seem run to avoid a longer wait for their next train.

But I prefer a runner to the lady to decided to lean forward to search through her bad in the middle of the last Tatiana/Onegin pdd, blocking a few people's view. When asked to sit back, she indicated that it was 'just going to be a minute'. D'oh.

• Like 2

Oh dear, how annoying.  I hope she really was quick.

I have to say that when I went to the ROH last week, the audience behaved impeccably.  All phones switched off, no rustling, talking, shifting about, and everyone was perfectly polite when I left my seat at the intervals. 

In fact, there was absolutely nothing to complain about.  I think that might be a first for me!

• Like 3

Some people may have been going for last trains, or irregular trains: my last connection from Charing Cross used to be at about 10.10 pm, so I could understand it if that were the case. But where trains are plentiful there's perhaps not such an excuse, unless you have a babysitter waiting to get home, or something, I suppose.

And actually, I remember talking to someone who said that if they left at such-and-such a time they would make their last fast train home from Waterloo, whereas the one after that was maybe 45 minutes later and called at all stops, thus taking 50% longer. Or something like that, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm very lucky indeed to be able to stay over in London if really necessary....... but otherwise the problem for me is linking with the last bus from Brighton Station to where I live about 5 miles out of Brighton. Otherwise I get into a very expensive taxi fare of £16 plus which is ridiculous when Ive paid only £3-50 both ways for an Advanced fare on the train from Brighton to Victoria.

On the 9th April I'll be seeing Swan Lake and this usually finishes around 10.30 ish

The last bus in Brighton for me is 11.40!!

Well I'd be lucky to be on a train at Victoria by 11.30 that night( can't stay over then) so will not only have to dash at curtain call but will end up having to pay for a taxi......still much cheaper than a hotel in London......making it a very expensive Swan Lake!!

I usually hate missing curtain calls etc and having to rush to the station .......for me it spoils the whole evening .....but luckily I can stay up 90 per cent of the time.......but do have sympathy with people having to rush for trains etc

• Like 1

I have to confess that when the overture started at a matinee a few weeks ago, I suddenly remembered that I hadn't switched off my phone (I suppose they made an announcement, but you hear it so often that I imagine I blocked it out - were we talking earlier about lack of concentration?).  Anyway, the only way to switch it off is to light up the screen first and as soon as I did that the lady behind me virtually screamed at me that the light was disturbing her (the curtains weren't even open yet and there was nothing to see on stage). I told her that I was trying to switch it off, but I heard her complaining loudly to her partner, which was probably more disturbing to everyone around than the few seconds light from my phone.  Oh well...........

• Like 1

The good thing is we are all human

The bad thing is we are all human!!

I know how you feel ......you just can't win some days! And it's so annoying when 9/10 times you are well switched off before everything starts and then there's that one time in months when you get behind etc and somebody's having a go!!

I must admit I do get annoyed with the instant shushers.......sometimes I didn't hear anybody making a noise but do hear the very loud shushing going on!!

On the 9th April I'll be seeing Swan Lake and this usually finishes around 10.30 ish

The last bus in Brighton for me is 11.40!!

Well I'd be lucky to be on a train at Victoria by 11.30 that night( can't stay over then) so will not only have to dash at curtain call but will end up having to pay for a taxi......still much cheaper than a hotel in London......making it a very expensive Swan Lake!!

Hmm, you ought to be able to get back to Victoria by 10.50-55 if you're lucky (going via Embankment is only 5 minutes - or should be), but that's still cutting it fine for Brighton, isn't it?

That reminds me: I was at a concert the other day, and a bloke in front of me kept jerking his head (and probably shoulders too) first to one side, then to the other (or forwards if he wanted to ring the changes occasionally). It wasn't some medical tic or anything he had, just his way of changing his position, I suppose. I'm used to people changing their seating position from time to time, but this was really violent - and really frequent - and every time he did it I'd have to move too if he'd blocked my view - and try not to disturb the people behind *me* too much. It was already a very long piece of music, but it felt a lot longer because I could never settle.

Well it's cutting it fine for the last bus Alison that's all!!

The 11.07 gets me back by midnight but the last bus will have gone by then.

I can probably get a train from Victoria up till 12 and get back at 1 am but then it's the expensive taxi fare!!

Anyway I will try to leave as discreetly as possible on the 9th and I know I'll be very irritated especially if it's been a fantastic performance to miss most of the curtain calls and not be able to show my appreciation etc.

Still I'm luckier than many who come from much further afar and have to fork out for hotel bills. The odd taxi fare is not much to ask in the end and I can stay over most times.

Second ENO event in a row last night where I had to tell someone to stop texting during the performance. Someone else off to my left was probably involved in a similar but livelier debate as a couple of minutes in we all heard his loud hiss "you're a selfish bitch". Lawks..

Anyway I will try to leave as discreetly as possible on the 9th and I know I'll be very irritated especially if it's been a fantastic performance to miss most of the curtain calls and not be able to show my appreciation etc.

Still I'm luckier than many who come from much further afar and have to fork out for hotel bills. The odd taxi fare is not much to ask in the end and I can stay over most times.

I had fun at Brighton Station last night after seeing the Coliseum Gala, I had about 12 minutes and everything was okay until I realised there were roadworks where the bus-stop should be, nobody else was about and after looking at the taxi queue (my fare is £15 and I do everything I can to avoid it) I started to dash down to Churchill Square where the bus stops, I began to panic when I saw the bus coming up the hill to turn round but just made it to Churchill Square in time for a free ride home! 

• Like 3

I have to confess that when the overture started at a matinee a few weeks ago, I suddenly remembered that I hadn't switched off my phone (I suppose they made an announcement, but you hear it so often that I imagine I blocked it out - were we talking earlier about lack of concentration?).  Anyway, the only way to switch it off is to light up the screen first and as soon as I did that the lady behind me virtually screamed at me that the light was disturbing her (the curtains weren't even open yet and there was nothing to see on stage). I told her that I was trying to switch it off, but I heard her complaining loudly to her partner, which was probably more disturbing to everyone around than the few seconds light from my phone.  Oh well...........

My phone not only lights up when you try and switch it off, but plays a jolly tune as well!!

The First Circle at Sadlers Wells has a shelf running in front of Row A on which there are stickers indicating that no drinks should be put there. So what was the situation at the final rehearsal for ENB's Modern Masters last night? Loads of plastic cups and even beer bottles, of course. These presented a hazard for people trying to reach their seats and the combined smell was appalling.

The First Circle at Sadlers Wells has a shelf running in front of Row A on which there are stickers indicating that no drinks should be put there. So what was the situation at the final rehearsal for ENB's Modern Masters last night? Loads of plastic cups and even beer bottles, of course. These presented a hazard for people trying to reach their seats and the combined smell was appalling.

So where were the ushers to tell people not to leave things there I wonder??

Chatting to one another at the back, I expect. They usually are at SW.

BTW, isn't it ridiculous there that one has to climb two flights of stairs in order to gain access to the First Circle (or whatever it is called) only to climb down again if one's seat is anywhere near the front.

A further gripe about that theatre is the difficulty of finding toilets above ground floor level, the small number of them and the queues which thus accumulate.

• Like 1

BTW, isn't it ridiculous there that one has to climb two flights of stairs in order to gain access to the First Circle (or whatever it is called) only to climb down again if one's seat is anywhere near the front.

If you're on the right of the auditorium, use the stairs just past the lifts. Or, if there's nothing going on in the mezzanine rooms, just walk through the mezz.
  • Like 1

At the Ballet gala in the Coli, a young lady (in seat 37, Row B )was on her phone during the Klimentova/Muntagirov Nutcracker PDD, and thereafter, periodically throughout the rest of the night. This, despite being asked politely by the lady behind her to please stop, as it was quite distracting. I was in Row E, three seats to her left, and it was indeed, quite distracting. I do wish people would be more considerate. Why go to these things, if you can't stay away from texting, messaging your pals?

As I wish they would in the cinema: I was earlier that same day at the Haymarket Odeon (poor space, quite cthonic, shabby, with Screen 2 at a bizarre angle to the seating therein) to see the Bolshoi Romeo and Juliet from 2013. During the second half, a man with a loud voice openly talking to his companions. When Juliet has taken her sleeping draught, and the "shades" with lotuses (I think?) have appeared, then glided offstage (in properly spooky mass bourée) this same gentleman let out a very loud yawn, together with an "ohhh dear!" which was probably not done as theatrically deliberately as it sounded. Then, more talking, ruminations. At the end I was a bit annoyed. And I walked up to him after and said that next time, please could he not talk all over the show? thank you. He did mumble a "sorry". As well he should. I do wonder what it is about events, that makes people forget manners.

Edited by nickwellings
  • Like 3