Audience Behaviour

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have not seen any cattle prods but last Friday I was most surprised to discover that the ROH has taken to policing the slips.Apparently on an experimental basis. I tried to find out precisely what had led to this and whether it only applied to opera performances.  I was told that it applied to both opera and ballet performances and that it was a result of unacceptable behavior. From what I was told it was more to do with drinks being taken into the slips than anything else. Apparently audience members in rows BB and DD are no longer allowed to stand  during performances. I have no idea who thought that one up but to my knowledge people have been standing in those rows for the last forty years of opera going as it is the only way to see the stage.

.As it was my enjoyment of the opera was disturbed by the  member of staff clumping along the back of the second row to deal with malefactors. If people are taking drinks into the slips then surely the answer is station a member of staff at the entrance to the slips to remove the contraband. If the ROH dealt with the chatterers and those audience members who seem incapable of turning their mobile phones off that would be a great advance.  

• Like 1

I only sit in the slips for opera, so not sure if they are there for ballet too.  My first experience of this was during a performance of Faust when an usherette came in halfway though the first half with a folding metal chair that she noisily opened up and sat down on.  The explanation I was given was that altercations have broken out over bad behaviour and that a number of people were bringing picnics and making a mess.

I attended the last night of The Winter's Tale on Thursday 8th May (comments posted in another thread). Half of the third 'act' was really spoiled by two women talking and taking photographs throughout. I was in first row of stalls circle - they were seated at the very end of row S orchestra stalls - their phones and chatter were in my direct sightline of the stage. Thanks goodness (because I would have created more fuss by doing this myself) the woman behind them asked them to stop. At the curtain call I thanked her. Not one word of apology from the two women who were both old and 'seemingly sensible' enough to have known better. I really really wish the House would add to their very short mobile phone announcement that phones/camera are not allowed because additionally 'they distract other audience members'. Thank you unknown person who saved a bit of the final Act for us  . . . perhaps we should start thinking about asking for a refund whenever the House lets this happen until announcements are a bit better and 'policing' of it a little more effective (I have a friend who is an usher there I am sympathetic to the problems and of doing this at times and also very grateful for everything they do already . . .) Rant over I hope sorry everyone . . .   

I attended the last night of The Winter's Tale on Thursday 8th May (comments posted in another thread). Half of the third 'act' was really spoiled by two women talking and taking photographs throughout. I was in first row of stalls circle - they were seated at the very end of row S orchestra stalls - their phones and chatter were in my direct sightline of the stage. Thanks goodness (because I would have created more fuss by doing this myself) the woman behind them asked them to stop. At the curtain call I thanked her. Not one word of apology from the two women who were both old and 'seemingly sensible' enorapugh to have known better. I really really wish the House would add to their very short mobile phone announcement that phones/camera are not allowed because additionally 'they distract other audience members'. Thank you unknown person who saved a bit of the final Act for us  . . . perhaps we should start thinking about asking for a refund whenever the House lets this happen until announcements are a bit better and 'policing' of it a little more effective (I have a friend who is an usher there I am sympathetic to the problems and of doing this at times and also very grateful for everything they do already . . .) Rant over I hope sorry everyone .. . 

On the issue of photographs being taken during the performance. A good few years ago I worked in a "rock" musical called Hair at the Shaftesbury. It was performed just when the censorship of theatre had been relaxed and took advantage of this by have a nude scene at the end of the first act. The actors were paid more if they stood naked so, on most nights, a lot of boys and girls took part. This, of course, meant a lot of people would take photos which then led to the ushers catching the offenders and confiscating there cameras and destroying the film, which caused huge arguments and much disruption to the show. This would obviously not be acceptable at the ROH so the problem remains of what can the theatre do about it?

Edited by SPD444

I attended the last night of The Winter's Tale on Thursday 8th May (comments posted in another thread). Half of the third 'act' was really spoiled by two women talking and taking photographs throughout. I was in first row of stalls circle - they were seated at the very end of row S orchestra stalls - their phones and chatter were in my direct sightline of the stage. Thanks goodness (because I would have created more fuss by doing this myself) the woman behind them asked them to stop. At the curtain call I thanked her. Not one word of apology from the two women who were both old and 'seemingly sensible' enough to have known better. I really really wish the House would add to their very short mobile phone announcement that phones/camera are not allowed because additionally 'they distract other audience members'. Thank you unknown person who saved a bit of the final Act for us  . . . perhaps we should start thinking about asking for a refund whenever the House lets this happen until announcements are a bit better and 'policing' of it a little more effective (I have a friend who is an usher there I am sympathetic to the problems and of doing this at times and also very grateful for everything they do already . . .) Rant over I hope sorry everyone . . .   

Sadly even pre-performance announcements don't seem to work in some cases.  Using flash photography is so distracting for other members of the audience it must be really dangerous for the performers.

A friend told me a great story a couple of years ago.  She had gone to see Michael Ball and before he started his set he said if anyone wants to take photographs take them now (much rushing to front of auditorium for people to take them) and not when the show is on.  It worked.  Obviously you couldn't do this with a ballet or play but it's a good idea for the circumstances.

• Like 1

When I was at the Russian Icons Gala recently a 'gentleman' kept looking at his mobile & taking photos....I was so furious I complained to the manager & she, very kindly, offered me a free programmefor my next visit! My next trip was to see Kings of the Dance & the programme cost £10.00 so I was really pleased. It does pay to complain (nicely, of course), but I have to say that I am reluctant to go to the cinema these days because of audience behaviour.

Susan

On the subject of photos - most cameras today should not require a flash at all and in fact given the distance involved from the stage a flash is useless anyway.  If I take pics it is at the curtain call only and I switch my camera to use only the viewfinder not the screen - mobile phones are different kettle of fish and I agree screens are irritating when the owner is using it.  What I can't understand is why do people pay £50-100 for a seat and then sit there talking and texting?  It is down right rude and disrespectful to the performers and inconsiderate of other paying audience members who WANT to see the show!  And don't get me started on people bringing food, drinks and rustley sweets into an auditorium that should be banned completely!

• Like 7

It's quite possible that the fact that they've paid such a lot of money is exactly why they feel they can then behave as they like?

Maybe if a crack squad of ushers armed with laser pens used them on the offending screens, that might be a start. If they fail to put the smart phone away, then in the eyes!

• Like 2

It's quite possible that the fact that they've paid such a lot of money is exactly why they feel they can then behave as they like?

Maybe if a crack squad of ushers armed with laser pens used them on the offending screens, that might be a start. If they fail to put the smart phone away, then in the eyes!

thewinelake,I agree with your insight and also love the suggested solution!

I sense that there is a culture change that is affecting not just the young but also those old enough to know better.  Many people nowadays seem to go by the philosophy "I can do whatever I like until and unless someone in the position of authority will tell me off", and just gave up giving good old common sense consideration to those around them... to me just brain lazy and lacking imagination...

• Like 1

DQF, you're lucky to have a viewfinder on your camera!  I desperately tried to find one, even at the higher end of the range, which did and met my other requirements, including a 10x zoom, but no joy.  As for flashes, I think a lot of people either don't register in time that they're enabled, or don't know how to disable them.  Fortunately, my camera's flash is one of those you have to flip up to activate it: again, chosen deliberately so I don't get booted out of some match at Wimbledon for letting it go off unintentionally!

You'd think theatres would be more proactive about people taking photos and recording performances. Once a recorded performance ends up on YouTube, people will be watching it there and maybe not going to the live performance or buying the DVD (if there is one). At our local cinema when someone was recording a movie on their smartphone, an usher came in and told them to stop because it was a criminal offence to help themselves to someone else's property by recording it and they'd call the police if the phone wasn't turned off and stayed off. So at least in the USA there are legal issues involved as well as being considerate to the rest of the audience and the performers.

Not the theatre but regards attitude.

I was at Westfield shopping Centre on Saturday......had been to investigate the new Olympic pool which is fabulous by the way.

Anyway was having a coffee in EAT and on the table next to me were two young lads in early 20's

They had been discussing clothes and intended to go to a particular shop there. They got up to go but one hadn't finished his drink so the other said don't you want to finish it you won't be allowed in the shop and the other replied oh it's no problem I often take one in they don't seem bothered by that any more.

So if they had been bothered....he just wouldn't have taken his drink! But they weren't ....so he did.

This says it all really. It's up to theatres and cinemas and the like to make the rules and just enforce them! After a while it would just be the norm that you don't drink and eat or take cameras into the auditorium and probably wouldn't even need that much policing eventually.

• Like 2

Alison - I have to say my camera is worth its weight in gold for that viewfinder feature!!  And if I disable the flash it stays off even when I switch the camera off and on again until I physically reinstate it.  I have found battery life greatly improved by using the EVF and no flash and my photos have not suffered.  The camera I have is a Fujifilm Finefpix S5700 bridge camera - I would like to update/replace it but I do not know what with as it still ticks the boxes, it is just failing a bit on the furthest zoom it's never been right since exposure to freezing temps in Norway and then it has been dropped, fallen on etc... a tough nut indeed!

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

Not the theatre but regards attitude.

I was at Westfield shopping Centre on Saturday......had been to investigate the new Olympic pool which is fabulous by the way.

Anyway was having a coffee in EAT and on the table next to me were two young lads in early 20's

They had been discussing clothes and intended to go to a particular shop there. They got up to go but one hadn't finished his drink so the other said don't you want to finish it you won't be allowed in the shop and the other replied oh it's no problem I often take one in they don't seem bothered by that any more.

So if they had been bothered....he just wouldn't have taken his drink! But they weren't ....so he did.

This says it all really. It's up to theatres and cinemas and the like to make the rules and just enforce them! After a while it would just be the norm that you don't drink and eat or take cameras into the auditorium and probably wouldn't even need that much policing eventually.

I fear that even if the theatres and cinemas set up the rules, there will always be someone who says " but i didin't know that!" "but it wasn't pointed out to me!" or just start arguing about the correct intertretation of certain word or sentence... XXX vs the Royal Opera House  will start to clogg the courts  for much joy of legal adversors (...this is a joke ;) ).

Well, I hope good old commonsense will win the war in the end...

Was there ever a time when you could smoke in theatres?

I think I can remember occasions, yes. And notices "politely asking audience members to refrain from smoking". And with many of the theatres, with bars/lobbies opening directly off the auditorium, the smoke would drift in from those. How I rejoiced when I could at last go to a theatre or cinema without fearing an allergic reaction to the tobacco smoke.

• Like 2

Oh yes - I remember the time when it was possible to smoke in all the West End theatres.  In the same era, you could have tea on a tray served to you in your seat during matinees - always a great treat for me as a child with my mother.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what an insightful read this thread is! Interesting perspectives on culture.

So i have a random question.. When i watch ballet i've always tended to angle my head to follow the dancer i'm watching. It happens quite unconsciously, and I'm aware that dancers watching other dancers do it too. I do it in the theatre sometimes when I get super into a piece, but always hope that it's not too irritating for the person behind me, because my head only.. Rotates.. Rather than moves translationally. Uh. If that made sense. Have you ever minded when sitting behind someone like that before..? :/ All the same I'll keep it rigid for the future..!!

And just a little anecdote re phones in shows.. The other day during the RB DGV I was so annoyed when my phone started vibrating repeatedly in my pocket (my fault, should've left it in my bag), quite unexpected since I was in a foreign country with a new number, so thought it was an idiot misdialing me! But it turned out to be Lauren Cuthbertson, who having finished Serenade and Violets just earlier, was replying and favouriting my tweets during her DGV break ;)

On that note, the main theatre in Singapore has a delightful (but perhaps not intentional) workaround.. Once they close the theatre doors, you can't get reception. We've never had a phone disrupt a performance before!

• Like 5

I could think of quite a few places where I would like the Singapore solution. On an ROH note, I was once on the front row of the orchestra stalls watching a performance of Boulevard Solitude. The music by Henze is quite strident at times, when suddenly one was listening to the most beautiful music. A quick look down into the orchestra pit showed a cellist desperately reaching for their mobile.

• Like 2

I saw The Bolshoi in La Bayadere at the Bolshoi a couple of weeks ago and despite there being announcements in Russian and English there were at least 3 mobile phones that went off throughout the performance!! Makes me so angry when you have spent a lot on a ticket and in such beautiful surroundings. The Russian lady next to me was tutting away and glaring at the people behind us who decided to start to eat something and was very sparing with her applause! I thought the Bolshoi were on top form that evening. Nikulina, Kretova and Lobukhin's dancing was superb.

The Barbican Hall has zero mobile reception, which is great. At the same time, you can get Wi-Fi in there, so you could read the programme on your mobile device - provided you could find somewhere where nobody else would be disturbed by it, which I don't think is a possibility.

• 1 month later...

I don't suppose you can stop people, Janet.  It is probably a spontaneous reaction when they see a well known tv performer in the flesh. 

"and a substantial portion of those surveyed admitted to whispering, “laughing when not intended” and checking their phones. All of this is good – people are having fun and providing more money to spend on exciting productions."

This is where I start to have problems with the journalist, who seems to be implying that people who object to others gossiping  are snobs who don't matter.  Nothing worse then sitting next to people laughing at their own private jokes when you are trying to hear the actors, or doing the dreaded phone checking.  One person's fun is another person's distraction. 

Having said that, I went to see Wolf Hall the other day, arriving at the last minute because of a delay on the Northern Line.  They didn't make the usual announcement about switching off mobile phones.  The court of Henry VIII was just in the middle of a stately procession, when the strident tones of La Cucaracha blared out from my bag. 

Where is that blushing icon when I need it? 

• Like 1

Maybe it's time for theatres to put on a couple of 'Bring your mobile, talk, eat, do whatever you want' performances a week. I might even attend those and cough, burp, fart, talk and howl my way all through it to ensure that audiences who think whatever they do is fine and anyone who has a problem with that is a snob.

Haven't had a good old punch-up in a long time (well, ever, but that's a minor detail) but suspect they'd feel like starting one once I'm done demonstrating antisocial behaviour.

The thing I love most about these articles is the argument that audiences used to be noisy during Shakespeare time. Well, they also watched bear-bating, didn't allow women on stage and the most expensive seats were the ones away from the unwashed stench of the adorably 'engaged' crowd.

• Like 4

Maybe it's time for theatres to put on a couple of 'Bring your mobile, talk, eat, do whatever you want' performances a week. I might even attend those and cough, burp, fart, talk and howl my way all through it to ensure that audiences who think whatever they do is fine and anyone who has a problem with that is a snob.

Haven't had a good old punch-up in a long time (well, ever, but that's a minor detail) but suspect they'd feel like starting one once I'm done demonstrating antisocial behaviour.

This is worth a read!

• Like 1

.......The thing I love most about these articles is the argument that audiences used to be noisy during Shakespeare time. Well, they also watched bear-bating, didn't allow women on stage and the most expensive seats were the ones away from the unwashed stench of the adorably 'engaged' crowd.

Well said.

Plus, alternative street-theatre in the form of public executions (beheading, pressing to death, burning at the stake, slow strangulation, live disembowelment) was freely available. It must have taken a lot to engage those audiences. Things have moved on for most of us.

Afterthought: actually, I believe the crowd were often quite restrained and respectful at the more outrageous executions, so they had their own social code of sorts. Then again, I forgot to mention the acceptability of emptying one's chamber pot from a height into the street - doubt they bothered to queue for the loo the way we do, so where do theatres set the limits for self-expression?

Edited by Grand Tier Left
  • Like 3

The thing I love most about these articles is the argument that audiences used to be noisy during Shakespeare time. Well, they also watched bear-bating, didn't allow women on stage and the most expensive seats were the ones away from the unwashed stench of the adorably 'engaged' crowd.

And they used to throw things at the actors if they didn't like a performance.

I am sure David Tennant, Benedict Cumberbatch and all the other actors mentioned would have no problems being pelted with food if the young audience members felt the interpretation of the play wasn't to their taste. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 1

My latest "inconsiderate audience members" story:

On the weekend I was in Saratoga Springs in upstate New York, where New York City Ballet has a summer season in an outdoor theatre which Balanchine himself had input in designing. (If you ever have a chance to go there, it's a FANTASTIC experience; Saratoga is a charming spa town and the atmosphere is very informal; the park where the theatre is located is beautiful and after the final performance they have fireworks. Ballet tickets and hotels are a lot cheaper than in NY, and over the week -- two weeks next year--, they cover an awful lot of rep, so it's an opportunity to see NYCB for less).

Anyway, I was seated in the second row and had a good view of the stage between the heads of the two people sitting in front of me, because the rows are well staggered. Until.... the two ladies took it upon themselves to keep putting their heads together so that they could comment on the dancing as it was going on. At this point my view of the stage became a big black blob. After they had done it four times, I thought, "Next time I'm going to insert my program between their heads!" It happened a fifth time and I still just seethed inwardly. But the sixth time, I reached forward, tapped them both on the shoulder and made a gesture with my hands to indicate keeping their heads apart. The basilisk-like glare I got from one of them would have stopped anyone in their tracks. And she kept turning round at intervals to glare at me some more (which I ignored, cuz at least I was getting a good view of the stage). Ironic that she kept sacrificing her own view of New York City Ballet's finest to look instead at MOI (I can tell you, the choice between the two options for most people would not be the one she made!). Anyway, when that ballet was over she gave me one last withering stare, but she and friend (who actually weren't even supposed to be sitting in those seats I think, because they had appeared after the first intermission) departed for other seats where they could find someone else's view to block.

• Like 2

I've been getting that a lot, recently. Whether it's amorous couples who just *have* to stick together like glue, parents telling children the plot, or two adults discussing ... whatever, it's really annoying. It can take what was a reasonably good view and turn it into one where you can't see the centre of the stage at all :(