Negotiating the boys dance world!

MrsMoo2

Hi Mums and dancers,

Wondering if you can help my son and me? DS has been dancing for two years with his local school and now needs more. He has 3, 45 minute classes a week and never stops at home, in Asda, on the bus etc etc!

Last academic year he just missed out on Elmhurst and RBS Associates. This year he is too old for RBS JA’s!

What else can he do? His current school have a showcase this year so haven’t had a syllabus class all year. 

Been in touch with s The Hammond who say their boys day of dance is over subscribed.

EYB is too far away to be do able. How do you nurture a talent when you have money but no outlet for your DS to pursue his dream.

Feeling a bit stuck!

S xx

Where are you based?

If London, or able to commute London Boys Ballet School have classes on Thursday evenings  and all day Saturday. They have just started their own in house associate programme which at the moment at least seems to be just an extended class with guest teachers but I know a few boys who enjoy it.

Another thing to look out  for is BalletBoyz bootcamps that I think they are running at different venues as they tour.

I know what you mean about money being an obstacle to children pursuing their passions, it can be very disheartening.

Hope you find something for him.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. He would love to look at full time training but financially it just isn’t an option at the minute. I’m a nurse and Dad is a lab technician! 

Ideally i think he’d like some boys only classes but we are in North Wales which is pretty much as far as you can get from London! I’ve said I’d drive as far as Manchester or Birmingham but ive scoured the schools there and there just isn’t anything suitable. Maybe we’ve hit a gap in the market for dancing boys in the NW! 😂😂 Weekend classes!

Had an e mail today from his current dance school about a show costume fitting and it was titled, “To the girls in grade 2” He’s the only boy, and stuff like that really winds me up! (I know his teacher meant him too).

Still if he’s determined enough to pursue his dancing, he has my wholehearted support.

I’ll keep looking and if you hear of anything, drop me a line! Thank you!!! 

S xx

Another one to look at is Birmingham Royal Ballet. They do insight days and repertoire days in Birmingham where the boys are taught part of the day separately from the girls and with a male dancer from the company. There are no days currently listed on the 'ballet training' section of their website but you can sign up to get emails for the next time they do them.

Midland Theatre Ballet might be an option - expensive but it is weekly extra class and a rehearsal as they work towards a full length ballet production each year.

http://midlandtheatreballet.co.uk/ballet-classes-auditions/

Edited by 2dancersmum
to add midland theatre ballet

No good for this year, but there are Mid associates as well as juniors.  As others have mentioned, full time training could be funded by an MDS which is means tested.  Also, linking on other threads do consider other forms of dance than "just" ballet.  Contemporary, jazz, tap, maybe even MT or street - they all have their place in the dancer's portfolio.

• Like 2

Don’t discount full time training.  If he is lucky enough to get an MDS then, as mentioned above, it’s means tested.  By the time you take out all the costs of classes, travelling to classes and their living costs in the term time it’s certainly doable. 

• Like 1

I second the suggestion to try for a full time place at Hammond, especially as you’re in north Wales. Even though their boys’ day is oversubscribed, there may be a full time place with MDS on offer - or a place on their associates course has rain another boys’ day of dance coming up. If you treat an audition for a full time place as simply a chance for more dancing, with a different teacher and quite possibly with other boys in the class and in a vocational school, anything else will be a bonus ;) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add a note to say my DS didn't start vocational training until age 14, and prior to that hadn't done much more hours per week than your son is doing now (one or 2 ballet classes a week, maximum around 2 hours total, no other dance). So boys can get away with being a bit older and this takes the pressure off a little (maybe?!).

Would it be worth looking first at Easter/Summer schools (where scholarships are awarded) - he could then get a better sense of what vocational school might be like (I think it's pretty hard to know if you only do a few lessons a week- that's why we sent DS to a summer school). You do also need to think about whether it is dance or ballet specifically that is his dream when looking at vocational schools... There's lots of info on this forum to help...

• Like 9

11 hours ago, CeliB said:

I just wanted to add a note to say my DS didn't start vocational training until age 14, and prior to that hadn't done much more hours per week than your son is doing now (one or 2 ballet classes a week, maximum around 2 hours total, no other dance). So boys can get away with being a bit older and this takes the pressure off a little (maybe?!).

And look where he is now ... :D

• Like 5

English Youth Ballet are auditioning in Shrewsbury on 13th March 2018 for new production Cinderella in Hollywood 22/23 June.  Definitely worth looking at, my DS was in Coppelia years ago and loved it.  Lots of great teaching and also get to be on stage.

Thanks guys, lots to consider.

We have talked about FT training but his teacher says he isn’t quite ready for that yet.

His two main loves are Ballet and Jazz. We tried contemporary but he wasn’t keen. Will certainly look up Midas. 

Oh and I have the secretary at The Hammond keep his details in case anyone drops out of the boys day through Illness as I know he’d love that. Buried in show rehearsals at the minute but looking forward to some exciting times in 2018!

Hope you all have plenty of dance related gifts to give from 🎅🏼 !!! xx

• 1 month later...

Thanks Lou,

Always on the lookout for boys stuff!  Had good news last week, Hammond are extending their boys day to include more boys, including mine!

Another stroke of luck in that the associates teacher bumped into the lady who organises the boys day in school and although there are no spaces left for an associates audition, they’ve said they will invite DS to an actual associates lesson day where they will audition him for September ‘18 as they are short on boys.

Will keep an eye on BRB, he did a workshop with them last year and loved it.

Thanks guys! S xx

• Like 7

Hi DU, he’s in year 6, but one of the younger ones. 11 in August ‘18.

I’m in two minds about full time, he’d love it, no question but if we didn’t get any financial assistance, we couldn’t afford to send him. My nightmare scenario would be him getting in and me having to say woahhhhh!!

its so hard...🙈🙈🙈 xx

• Like 1