Ballet Skirts recommendations

munchkin16

"Dare to Pink" skirts are lovely and Nyuszi has now just started making longer ones ...you can choose your own length within reason ....at the moment the longer ones are in a nice dusky pink colour, lilac and a creamy sort of neutral colour....they really do feel lovely on. You just have to send her your measurements etc. 

Nyuszi Bourus usually works on Facebook so you can google Dare to Pink and lookout for the Facebook page where most of her skirts are pictured. You can message her from there and she is usually very prompt etc however as she has only just made me one of these longer skirts ( I went for the pink one) I happen to know she will be away on holiday for the next couple of weeks.

Thank you everyone, I think I'll be taking a look at Love Lily! I've just seen someone in my class wearing a knee length chiffon circle skirt and it looks so floaty and lovely on her I want one! It's the type professionals wear in rehearsal though so I'm not sure if it'll look a little too pretentious to wear one. ...

Now if anyone had a second hand skirt for sale that would be even better, if not I'll be taking a look at all these suggestions!

I don't think it's at all pretentious to wear the longer skirts.

However if you were studying seriously for an important exam like say Advanced one RAD your teacher may not be best pleased not to see the whole of your leg etc!!

But they are great for workshops or other additional classes which may be doing just for fun.

If it makes you feel good you may dance that much better ....but I do think Not for EVERY class. If the teacher is not happy then obviously don't wear but otherwise wear whatever you feel comfortable in. 

However I do say this as someone who takes classes in London where it's probably more normal to wear what you like. I think these longer skirts may become more popular and definitely suit the 'older" dancer!! But would probably go for the shorter skirts if I was young and trim lets say!!  Hope I'm not being ageist!!

I'm currently in a very relaxed adult ballet class with a wonderful teacher who's main aim is for us to dance and relax so she wouldn't mind what I wore. I haven't quite broken my habit of years of syllabus class so I tend to wear pink tights, black leotard and a short black skirt next to all the adults in leggings and t shirts...

I was hoping something longer might help me blend in with the older adults without breaking out of the classical mode, so they don't see me so much as a student, although now you mention it I actually like making sure all my lines are visible so the teacher can still correct me. She knows I want her to critique me though so I'm sure if I rotated something longer she could still see any mistakes no matter what I try to hide them under!

I'm still not sure if a longer skirt might be better suited to someone taller, I have a feeling it may make me look even shorter, they always look beautiful on pointe

Several of us have been wearing them in the amateur company I belong to and actually even the smaller students still seem to look good in them....maybe it depends on your exact figure etc

They are actually quite "see through" so would be fine in a general ballet class for corrections etc.

I often wear quite plain gear ( sort of leggings type on the legs) but every so often fancy wearing something a bit more floaty and I really love my pink skirt very recently made by "Dare to Pink" 

A friend made me a couple of longer floaty skirts in Navy and a sort of mauvey grey colour and I love wearing them as well. I still wear my capezio wrap skirt every so often as well just what I feel like on the day mostly.

Several people have recommended Lovely Lily skirts so googled website but really cannot get on with it

there are a lot of tantalising descriptions of various skirts but I cannot find any pictures of them anywhere!

Does anybody know how to actually SEE these skirts!!

7 hours ago, LinMM said:

Several people have recommended Lovely Lily skirts so googled website but really cannot get on with it

there are a lot of tantalising descriptions of various skirts but I cannot find any pictures of them anywhere!

Does anybody know how to actually SEE these skirts!!

Hopefully this link will be a collection of skirts 

https://www.lovelilydanceandleisurewear.com/florals-classic-prints

Thanks Ponklemum last night none of the piccies would come up but had a good look now.

I like the longer wrap skirt....probably what she calls the teaching skirt...very nice.

The longer ones we have been wearing are like her Giselle skirt but for me that looks just a little too long.

I like the length to not be more than 58-60 cms max.

But if made to measure could be an option ......as am definitely not a size 12 even!!

The price is competitive ....though I paid just under £40 including postage for my longer Dare to Pink skirt. 

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Harwel any chance of you getting back to dancing?

Hmmmm, can't see it at the moment.  Every so often I think I might, but it's tricky as my weekday evenings are taken up with teaching and where I live is a bit limited for  adult ballet - the little skirts could persuade me though!! 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I take it you succombed then. Dd had one of the very first skirts made & is developing a little collection!

Ha ha yes! She got one before opes with some bday money, then I was too tempted while we were there and she conned her dad into another, and so did youngest dd who doesn't really have chance to wearr

one but they were so pretty! 😆

• Like 1

Having a DD who has just attended 2 SS and witnessing an array of skirts. I would suggest a skirt that just covers the lower part of leotard. Any longer makes the legs look short. Soft flowery pattern in wrapover chiffon hang the nicest. Flat against waist with no gathers. Choose carefully aswell. Some 'cheap' fabrics crease and don't hang and move well (static)  with the dancer.