Thank you BalletcoForum

I have thought for some time that I would like to say a big personal thank you to those who started this forum/ who keep it running.

I discovered ballet later in life, five years ago (Oh, all those years wasted!), and during that time, went to ballets on my own;  my ex wasn't interested, although I went to football with him (prob why he's an ex :D ), I took my best friend once, and she slept all the way through, my sister claims she has seen too many Nutcrackers when her godchildren were young and it's put her off, and no-one else I know was interested enough to come.  Although I was perfectly happy to go to the theatre/ cinema on my own, the worst thing was having no-one to discuss it with afterwards.  and then I found the forum two years ago!

Now I get excited to get home from a perfromance and see what everyone else thinks!  it's made such a difference :)

• Like 39

I agree Caveycapers!For many years I went to the ballet alone, but then, through this forum, I met a lovely lady.If we are at the same performance we often have lunch/dinner together. As you say, it is nice to discuss the performance with someone.

Off now to see Don Q in the cinema, alone!

Thank you Ballet forum.

• Like 7

Yes, a huge thank you to all the moderators who do such a brilliant job, and to everyone who posts on the forum. I've been going to ballet for many years but it has still made such a difference to me and I've learnt so much from the other posters. It also informs the way I watch and experience performances, and helps me to formulate my thoughts about what I'm seeing or have seen. So it's a real blessing!

• Like 15

On the topic of meeting forum members it occurred to me that whilst we do "speak" to each other through the forum I could be standing next to you in the ROH and I wouldn't know you. I am also a member of the Ballet Association and they have a lapel badge which you can buy which helps to raise money. So why don't we have a lapel badge which you can wear at the performances. I would not feel intimidated if someone spoke to me because they recognised the badge, it would make the intervals go quicker and give you someone to talk to if you are on your own. Balletfanp seems to have enjoyed the experience and it would raise money for the forum to help with costs of running it.  I'm originally from "oop north" so I will talk to anyone.

• Like 10

I'm also happy that I've found this forum for about a year ago. I live in western part of Denmark and sometimes it's cheaper for me to travel to London (thanks to Ryanair) than to Copenhagen or Hamburg. It's great to be able to get a hint of what is worth of seeing in ROH, etc. ( though I would say - everything!) Thanks a lot to all those who share their opinions and suggestions!

• Like 8

Like many others on here i`m sure,this Forum has become a natural part of my life. I`m not on here every single day,but I am most days. I would be lost without it and I know my life is that little bit richer because of the people on here.

• Like 10

I have thought for some time that I would like to say a big personal thank you to those who started this forum/ who keep it running.

I discovered ballet later in life, five years ago (Oh, all those years wasted!), and during that time, went to ballets on my own;  my ex wasn't interested, although I went to football with him (prob why he's an ex :D ), I took my best friend once, and she slept all the way through, my sister claims she has seen too many Nutcrackers when her godchildren were young and it's put her off, and no-one else I know was interested enough to come.  Although I was perfectly happy to go to the theatre/ cinema on my own, the worst thing was having no-one to discuss it with afterwards.  and then I found the forum two years ago!

Now I get excited to get home from a perfromance and see what everyone else thinks!  it's made such a difference :)

Hi Cavycapers! Well I am in a very similar situation. I only discovered ballet in 2007 and no one from amongst my friends or family is a fellow balletomane so I go on my own but this forum is great to discuss what I've seen! If you are going to the Bolshoi shows in July/August perhaps we can go together to one or meet up at the ROH? :)

• Like 1

I think that's a great idea, SPD444, but possibly not everyone would be comfortable with identifying themselves? For those who are, it would be lovely to say hello. I've talked to a number of people, often at the stage door, who could well be forum members but I have no way of telling.

Like you, I'm a northerner by birth and am happy to chat to everyone! :)

• Like 2

Absolutely agree.

I do go to ballet with friends but they are not ballet maniacs like me...so it's hugely enjoyable  to be able to communicate with other people who realise ballet's proper importance:-)  and know so much about it. I too hurry home to log on after a performance,even in the small hours and half asleep, to share the joy-or occasionally the pain- with the BF community.

Thank you very much all moderators.

• Like 6

I'd also like to thank all involved in BalletcoForum. I particularly like and agree with Lisa's comment that it makes life a bit richer, and I too am looking at the forum nearly every day.

The discussions I have participated in I have found extremely valuable, it is wonderful to hear thoughts from people who have such extensive experience of performances often going back decades. It was great to talk about recent performances of BRB's (Peter Wright) Swan Lake and ENB's (Nureyev) Romeo and Juliet with people who have seen live performances of Galina Samsova dancing Odette/Odile or Patricia Ruanne dancing Juliet in the 1980s. 

And I suppose that we must give thanks to, in part, the internet. So often I bemoan its intrusion into every aspect of our lives in the last ~20 years, but BalletcoForum I don't think I would be able to substitute with anything else. I am actually usually able to find people to go to ballet with, but no one with the appreciation and knowledge of forum users here. Long may it continue!

Edited by northstar
  • Like 9

Adding my thanks too. As someone with limited history with ballet and even more limited technical knowledge, I learn a lot from the discussions. Like a few other posters on this thread, I do often end up going to performances on my own, as my wife is only really up for the occasional visit, and a way of meeting other members for a quick drink or chat before or in intervals would be good.  The 'tickets available' subforum seems to work - perhaps another subforum along these lines would be useful, where members who are planning a solo trip can express interest in meeting others there? 

• Like 3

I would love a badge! Spotting other forum members with a badge on and chatting to them is a lot less difficult for the shy than arranged interval meets.

Just had a look at the cost of enamel badges (one stop badges), and they are very cheap, about £1 each, and an inital £20 for the 'die', minimum order £100. You send them some artwork, or they do a free design for you.

• Like 3

I would also like to add my thanks for this forum,  it's nice to come to a place to discuss ballet and keep updated on the latest news. It's why I'm so grateful for the internet it makes a ballet fan like me feel a little less isolated, outside of my mum and my sister there is no one I can really talk about ballet or ballet dancers with, so it's nice to expand that.

• Like 4

Thank you all for your kind comments. As moderators we are very happy that the forum means so much to you all; it makes everything worth it! And don't forget, the forum is the lively, fascinating, social and educational place that it is thanks to all of you....so in turn, from the moderators a big thank you to YOU!

• Like 12

What a funny little bunch we are . I can see that some of us have seen She Said this weekend, some have seen the Mariinsky in Cardiff, and some of us have been to Plymouth to see BRB in Romeo and Juliet. Between us we've got it all covered!

• Like 4

As a very recent ballet fan (about 6 moths!) this forum has been invaluable to me. Reading people's opinions of shows and learning more about different ballets has helped me greatly. Being able to come back from a show or a live screening and see what other people think has improved my experiences. I'm lucky that a few of my family members are interested in ballet as well, but i'd totally be up for meeting other members

• Like 3

TheaG - welcome!

If you are going to an upcoming show, just say on here that you are and I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to say hello in person, at the same show

Mind you, if TheaG had a lapel badge then she would not have to tell us, we could see.

Well, how about we give this some serious thought? I am willing to do some organising of badges, if enough people express interest. We could have anything from a cheap little button badge, to a nice enamel badge. Is there a Balletco image, or colour? What do the administrators think? Of we could all buy the same existing brooch, only I guess the guys don't want to wear ballerina brooches!

Edited by cavycapers
  • Like 1

Well, how about we give this some serious thought? I am willing to do some organising of badges, if enough people express interest. We could have anything from a cheap little button badge, to a nice enamel badge. Is there a Balletco image, or colour? What do the administrators think? Of we could all buy the same existing brooch, only I guess the guys don't want to wear ballerina brooches!

I think this is a good idea. Being a solitary ballet-goer myself, I've often wondered whether I've encountered other balletcoers whilst wandering around the ROH - seems likely. A nice little enamel badge would be good - something very subtle/discreet but instantly identifiable to those on the look out for it.  

• Like 1

Whilst I'm on here, I would also like to add my thanks to all the people who have made this forum possible and keep it alive.  I've only been watching ballet for a few years and I absolutely love reading others' reviews/opinions of performances and dancers. Thanks everybody! 

At the recent Giselle, I got talking to a woman a couple of seats along in the interval, as the seats in between were vacated. She was on her own, as was I and I did wonder, as she told me about other performances she had seen, whether she was, you know, one of us. Turned out she wasn't but she did sound interested in this forum. 

I have, on various occasions, asked other people I have fallen into conversation with, whether they are on the forum, but never struck lucky. Perhaps they think the question is a euphemism of some sort, although I don't ask random people in the street or in a furtive manner, as far as I know. :ph34r:  Perhaps we could have a signal known only to forum members. The rolled up trouser leg has already been done elsewhere,so what's available? It would be something, ideally free, that can't be mistaken for anything else or worn innocently by a non member, in case of confusion or even unpleasantness. 

I favour, by arrangement with theatre mangement, a tannoy announcement stating the location of the meet and a pre-arranged password. 

• Like 4

Jacqueline one free solution to identify members of the jolly band on here, is to stand at the theatre bar during the interval and start doing plies. You would, no doubt, get some strange looks, but you would be easy to spot. Failing that, I think the aforementioned badge idea is an excellent one. A minute or so of looking online shows that the more badges you buy, the cheaper they get but a rough price is around £2.50 each for a soft enamel 15mm diameter badge on an order of 250. If it is decided to be a goer, then launching the BalletcoForum badge design competition would seem a ideal method of coming up with a badge.

• Like 3

It sounds better and better. I think I paid £10 for my Ballet Association badge, another member can correct me if I am wrong, so the forum would not be out of pocket in the long term. How many members does the forum have, does anyone know? 

BA-dancer.gif

This is the design of their badge, looks pretty good I think. So how do we move forward, really need a moderator or someone with authority to run with this.

• Like 2