Your favourite ballet or dance/act from a ballet?

Hi everyone!

I'm still relatively new to ballet and would like here to list my fave ballet (or particular act or dance from a ballet). This will also help to discover new pieces to see and discover....

My favourite ballet:

Fokine's The Dying Swan (I think Lopatkina is better than Zakharova here although Plisetskaya is the best!)

Swan Lake (esp. add)

and Giselle (esp. Act 1 Variations). Balanchine's Jewels (Mariinsky)

and I love Kitr's dancei from Don Quixote (though I've not see that one live yet).

I also loved the Bolshoi's Le Corsaire. 

I've seen some more modern ballet too but not such a big fan of it compared to classical although one of my all-time favourite's is

Patrick de Bana's Digital Love (with Zakharova) 

• Like 1

My favourite ballets are

La Fille mal Gardee (Ashton Royal Ballet)

Onegin (Cranko Royal Ballet)

Don Quixote (Bolshoi)

Le Corsaire (Mariinsky)

Manon (Macmillan, Royal Ballet) or Giselle (Wright, Royal Ballet) or Merry Widow (Ronald Hynd version)

I also really enjoyed Hobson's Choice (Bintley, Birmingham Royal Ballet) and Northern Ballet's Romeo and Juliet and A Christmas Carol.

these are all full length ballets.

My favourite short ballets are

Two Pigeons (Ashton, Royal Ballet)

Rhapsody (Ashton, Royal ballet)

Les Patineurs (Ashton, Royal ballet)

The Dream (Ashton, Royal ballet)

Month in the Country (Ashton, Royal Ballet) or Winter Dreams (Macmillan, Royal Ballet)

• Like 2

Favourite ballet - anything by Balanchine, but especially Agon, Apollo and The Four Temperaments.

I also very much like Swan Lake, but since it can be very good, or very bad, depending on which company is doing it, so I don't include it in my top five.

• Like 1

That is so true, Trog (post 5), seeing a "challenging" production of a favourite ballet can be disappointing.

My "mustn't miss" list includes "La Sylphide", "La Fille mal gardée", "Les Biches", "Symphony in C", English National Ballet's "Le Corsaire", the Bolshoi's "Bright Stream" and "Don Quixote".

• Like 2

My favourite ballet is Onegin, especially as danced by LFB (ENB) in the mid-80s.

Other favourites are: 

Ashton's Romeo and Juliet as danced by LFB in the mid-80s.

Gable/Morricone's Romeo and Juliet

Ashton's The Dream

Ashton's La Fille Mal Gardee

Ashton's Two Pigeons

Ashton's Symphonic Variations

Ashton's Scenes de Ballet

David Nixon's Madame Butterfly

David Nixon's Swan Lake

David Nixon's A Midsummer Night's Dream

David Bintley's Hobson's Choice

David Bintley's Far From the Madding Crowd

David Bintley's Galantries

Balanchine's Symphony in Three Movements

Balanchine's Apollo

Balanchine's Concerto Barocco

Bournonville's La Sylphide

Bournonville's Napoli 

• Like 4

Very impressive Janet but I am surprised you left Bintley's Sylvia off the list!

For me

Anything by Ashton, particularly if done in the correct style

Onegin (and I agree about it being the LFB/ENB years)

La Sylphide

Giselle

Raymonda

Mayerling

Le Bayadere

Le Corsair

Theme and Variations

Symphony in 3 movements

Symphony in C

Serenade

Hobson's Choice

Tombeaux

Galantaries

I think that will do me for the time being too.

• Like 2

I also really loved the old LFB production of Onegin.  Swan Lake,provided it has the non Russian ending,and providing the swan costumes are not the hideous Royal ones. RB`s Isadora was outstanding and wish they would revive it.[Although as I saw the original production with Merle Park and actress Mary Miller in the title role I was spoiled] McMillan`s Romeo and Juliet,and Balanchines Jewels. Also the dream scene from Don Q. Oh and Glen Tetley`s Pierrot Lunaire starring Christopher Bruce of Rambert which I saw on TV decades ago,but absolutely blew me away and I never forgot. Nureyev a few years later was great in the role too,but for me Bruce was just genius.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Béjart Bolero

Béjart Firebird

Béjart Songs of a Wayfarer

Bel Tombe

Bintley Still Life at the Penguin Café

Cranko Initials R.B.M.E.

Cranko Brouillards

McGregor Infra

McGregor Woolf Works

MacMillan Song of the Earth

MacMillan Requiem

MacMillan Concerto

MacMillan Gloria

Tetley Voluntaries

I've always wanted to ask if people have a favourite dance that they would like to do themselves, mine are Odette's second act solo, Myrthe's dances in Giselle, Nikiya's very first solo, and the Papillon solo from Fokine's Le Carnaval.

• Like 1

I agree about Myrthe's solos but would add all those of Raymonda, especially the two variations in the last act. I expect most of us would love to be able to dance the Rose Adagio. I think that in my dreams I would be Ashton's Cinderella, Lise and the principal roles in Scenes de Ballets and Symphonic Variations. Oh yes, and Lady Elgar.

Edited by Two Pigeons
  • Like 2

As my dancing skills are very limited, I've never progressed to thinking about a favourite dance I'd like to be able to do myself.

The only time I've ever wanted to join the RB on stage was during Hofesh Shechter's Untouchable, because it just looked like everybody on stage was having such a fabulous time & I'd love to have been part of that - hidden away at the back!

There's lots of ballets I haven't seen yet. So far, my favourites at the RB have been:

Giselle

Manon

The Two Pigeons (many thanks for recommending it, FLOSS)

La Fille Mal Gardee

Onegin

Swan Lake

Rhapsody

Plus the Bolshoi's Lost Illusions.

So many to choose from! Lucky us.

Swan Lake - still, the ultimate ballet for me

Giselle

The Sleeping Beauty

The Nutcracker (both the RB and BRB versions)

MacMillan: Requiem, Song of the Earth, Gloria, Mayerling, Romeo and Juliet, Concerto, The Rite of Spring

Ashton: La fille mal gardée, The Dream, Symphonic Variations, Scènes de Ballet, Cinderella, Rhapsody, Birthday Offering, La Valse

Balanchine: Symphony in C, Serenade, Agon, Theme and Variations, Jewels, Concerto Barocco, Apollo, Mozartiana

Bintley: Galanteries, Sons of Horus, Still Life at the Penguin Café, Tombeaux, Consort Lessons

Robbins: Dances at a Gathering, In the Night

Morris: L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato (don't suppose that counts as ballet, but is as sublimely beautiful as the most beautiful ballet)

Shechter: Political Mother (definitely not ballet, but thrilling)

Khan: DESH (ditto), Dust

Nijinska: Les Noces

Fokine: The Firebird

Tetley: Pierrot Lunaire, Dances of Albion

Pina Bausch: Masurca Fogo (not ballet, but so unexpectedly full of joy)

And many others nudging to get in!

Just about anything by Ashton, but especially Symphonic Variations, Les Patineurs, and A Month in the Country.

Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, and (slightly lower down the list) Swan Lake.

Les Sylphides, The Firebird, Giselle.

Michael Smuin's Carmina Burana.

• Like 1

BRB Nutcracker

RB Nutcracker

RB Mayerling

Mariinsky Swan Lake

POB Cinderella (Nureyev)

POB Le Dame Aux Camelias

Northern Ballet Romeo & Juliet (Morricone)

Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty

I also love Ashton's Thais Pas De Deux, and Five Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan.

I've always wanted to ask if people have a favourite dance that they would like to do themselves, mine are Odette's second act solo, Myrthe's dances in Giselle, Nikiya's very first solo, and the Papillon solo from Fokine's Le Carnaval.

I'd love to do Kitri's first solo in Don Quixote, Gamzatti's solo in the last act of Bayadere (RB version), Amour in DQ, and the Neopolitan in Swan Lake. There's also a beautiful solo in MacMillan's Requiem. I have memories of it in a documentary about Darcey Bussell and Viviana Durante many years ago. 

There's also a beautiful solo in MacMillan's Requiem. I have memories of it in a documentary about Darcey Bussell and Viviana Durante many years ago. 

Yes, that's the most wonderful solo! The Pie Jesu. I especially remember it danced by Lesley Collier and Leanne Benjamin. The whole ballet is like a prayer, with that solo at its heart. If I had ever been a dancer that would have been my ideal. Closely followed by Song of the Earth, Aurora and Odette.

• Like 3

Beryl....we were just talking about that only the other night .....which roles would we have coveted if had only been good enough!!

So for drama

I fancied the Nikiya role in Bayadere including the dance with the basket which goes completely frenetic

For fun

Lise in "Fille"

For soul

Giselle

For pure technique

Kitri in Don Q

There are loads of other wonderful ballets of course but these came to the fore at the time and

have never fancied dancing the Swan Lake role even though it's supposed to be what every dancer wants to perform.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! That's a lot of ballet for me to watch! Still nothing so far moves me as much as The Dying Swan. It is short so must be only shown in galas or part of a themed evening? I've not yet ever seen it advertised let alone performed live (except on YT).

Kenneth Macmillan's Romeo and Juliet doesn't seem to be appearing much. :( The morning pas de deux in Juliet's bedroom, the last time they will see each other alive, is my favourite all time moment. The mixture of despair and hope. And Romeo trying to recreate that dance with Juliet's inert body when he finds her in the tomb.

• Like 4

Beryl....we were just talking about that only the other night .....which roles would we have coveted if had only been good enough!!

So for drama

I fancied the Nikiya role in Bayadere including the dance with the basket which goes completely frenetic

For fun

Lise in "Fille"

For soul

Giselle

For pure technique

Kitri in Don Q

That's not a bad list and I'd go along with it except perhaps for substituting Odile in the black act for Kitri in Don Q in the pure technique department.

Having recenty seen "Month in the Country" I know what you mean but I'd also fancy Tatiana in Cranko's Onegin and perhaps Marguerite in Neumeier's La Dame aux Cameias or indeed the title role in Brandsen's Mata Hari in the melodrama stakes.

PS. I'm not sure whether it counts as ballet but I have always loved Martha Graham' Appalachian Spring.

Edited by terpsichore
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Winter's Tale- never saw more powerful story-telling in ballet!!!

Marguerite and Armand

Mayerling

Spartacus

Infra

The Judas Tree

Death in Venice

Coppelia

The Rite of spring, almost all versions but specially the one of Bejart

everything of Pina Bausch

• Like 1