Osipova is back ?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true, can we then assume that she will be able to dance her scheduled Juliet here in London on November 11th?

This sounds all a bit strange to me...cancelling all her performances here for the rest of the year, but then being able to dance two performances of a very demanding ballet by mid-November elsewhere? If this information is correct, it would seem that she has made a remarkable recovery!

• Like 1

Gramilano reply to "Natasha" is quite funny: "being that it is a contained role maybe it seemed like a good opportunity to try out the foot before tackling a piece with many jumps".

Alina Cojocaru, Sarah Lamb and Tamara Rojo (just to name three) broke their foot dancing Manon...

Of course the hope is really back; good luck to Natalja Osipova :)

• Like 6

There is definitely some irony there, Annamicro...you are right!!

The website of La Scala is definitely showing Osipova dancing Manon with David Hallberg on November 18th and 20th. I have been told by dancers who have danced Juliet and Manon that Juliet is easier, technically, than Manon. So....can we expect a performance of Juliet from Osipova on November 11th if the Manon performances are really happening??

http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/opera-ballet/2014-2015/histoire-de-manon.html

Sad that it is suggested that people are "angry". I suppose they think she's holed-up with Liam Payne on some Caribbean island or something.

I just booked for Giselle on a date that she's slated to perform. If they swap her, it'll be sad, but we'll live....

Edited by thewinelake

There is definitely some irony there, Annamicro...you are right!!

The website of La Scala is definitely showing Osipova dancing Manon with David Hallberg on November 18th and 20th. I have been told by dancers who have danced Juliet and Manon that Juliet is easier, technically, than Manon. So....can we expect a performance of Juliet from Osipova on November 11th if the Manon performances are really happening??

http://www.teatroallascala.org/en/season/opera-ballet/2014-2015/histoire-de-manon.html

Is Hallberg back on stage?

Sad that it is suggested that people are "angry". I suppose they think she's holed-up with Liam Payne on some Caribbean island or something.

I just booked for Giselle on a date that she's slated to perform. If they swap her, it'll be sad, but we'll live....

That is a bit disingenuous, thewinelake. I think that if people are angry it is because of a matter of principle, not because she is injured. But until we know the facts, I think we should hold off judging.

• Like 3

Sim - Natalia was replaced for all RB Autumn performances when it became known she was not dancing. Maybe, it is thought that  should stand.

Indeed....it wouldn't be fair to take the role away from the replacement dancer...I didn't really think this would happen. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 1

Sim - Natalia was replaced for all RB Autumn performances when it became known she was not dancing. Maybe, it is thought that  should stand. 

Not least because it could be difficult to fit in sufficient rehearsal time when her partners have been working with other ballerinas.

I suspect that I am not alone in feeling confused (and a little exasperated) about all the rumour and counter-information surrounding Osipova. But, all the same, I wish her a speedy recovery and return to the stage - wherever that might be.

• Like 1

Hmm. Well I sincerely hope she's not being brought back too soon (& perhaps dancing on a barely healed injury).

Apparently she gave an interview in Russian to explain her foot issues & subsequent treatment... Does anybody actually know for certain what her injury was (assuming foot of course, but I was under the impression she needed surgery)?

I guess we'll wait and see! As with others I wish her a full recovery.

• Like 1

If Osipova has recovered more quickly than anticipated, perhaps the lesson for all concerned is not to cancel performances for such a long period ahead unless it's absolutely clear that a dancer won't be able to do them. We all know that dancers get injured and that recovery times can be unpredictable, so if nearer the time of a performance they still aren't ready of course we accept that. (And many younger dancers have got their big breaks by standing in for a senior dancer who has got injured, often at short notice.) But Manon is a big role, not a try-out, so it is quite frustrating if she is able to perform that but has cancelled all her RB performances. But the important thing is that she is (or is getting) better, which is excellent news.

• Like 7

It seems fair enough that the RB cancelled all Osipova autumn roles. Even if the injury was not completely awful, it was at least quite debilitating to spend at least a month away. Given that most of her castings were due to take place in October (Juliet, Connectome, and a brand new Carmen) it seems to have worked out smartly. Imagine if they had kept the last Juliet date as Osipova's - the mad rush to find tickets, subsequent weeks of constant moaning at uncertainty and potential outrage should she pull out of that one too!

Someone close to Hallberg told me a while ago that he and Osipova were racing to get fit for La Scala, having been scheduled to dance together a few times last season but not making any. They're very fond of each other. I hope they make it! 

Edited by pasdedeux
  • Like 1

After all, based on the original announcement, some people may have returned/passed on their original tickets (not me!).  They would be very annoyed if they found out she was dancing after all, after they'd been told she wouldn't be.

• Like 2

Nevertheless, she's a member of the company at RB and a guest artist at La Scala. That ought to mean giving priority to her RB performances. I could understand this better if she was dancing in a 20-minute section of a triple bill, but a full-length ballet where she's on practically the whole time sounds like something an injured dancer (especially an injury-prone injured dancer) shouldn't be doing.

• Like 5

Hooray to the recovery, and let's hope that it was enough recovery time for the foot. No point cutting it short by a week and jumping in at the deep end by rehearsing for 2 different roles for performances within a week of each other. I'd assume that if she were scheduled for one R&J at La Scala and 2 Manon's a week later with the RB, she'd do the London performances only.

• Like 1

I was booking for two pigeons when I saw that Osipova was cast for some January performances but didn't book them as wasn't sure whether she was "back" it was a toss up for her or Hayward anyway so am happy with the ticket I eventually bought.

Perhaps it's better if she is recovered that she just restarts in the New Year at ROH simpler for all concerned now I think!!

Dancers and sports people do get top treatment so really glad she is on the mend!

• Like 2

The apparent confusion between this news and the RB position is likely to fuel the rumours that her absence has other reasons, not to do with her foot. Let's hope all gets cleared up, and that she is back dancing in London, just as soon as possible.

• Like 3

I haven't counted how many performances she would have been in before Christmas but if it's quite a lot then just doing a couple of performances with another company may be what suits her at this point rather than full scale return to ROH commitments.

Sorry nothing to do really with O but last year when I had an ankle injury when I started back in classes I eased in gently for months.

Just because at the time I could do one class a week didn't mean I could have coped with four(which I used to do).it took a full six months once I started back in class before I could cope with four again!!

• Like 2

I think it is great she is feeling better, so that is a big plus. I guess the management of ROH will have their say, and I guess that there is a different way to treat the main star of the company, and trust and respect is a large part of handling that sensitively.

However it reminds me of what my mum used to tell me when I was a child, when I was too sick to go to school, ...then come the evening I wanted to play with my friends afterwards when I started to feel better.

'If you are too sick for school, then you are too sick to go and play with your friends in the evening'.

I don't know the circumstances and I am sure they are very special, as is Ms Osipova, but I would prefer that she dances for her home audience before dancing for another company, in general.

Edited by SwissBalletFan
  • Like 6

The apparent confusion between this news and the RB position is likely to fuel the rumours that her absence has other reasons, not to do with her foot. Let's hope all gets cleared up, and that she is back dancing in London, just as soon as possible.

The RB position? Sorry if I missed something, but there is vacant position at RB?