BBC Young Dancer 2015

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Conor, the youngest and only one not in full time vocational training, was amazing and has such potential for the future. what an amazing choreographer as well. I look forward to seeing a lot of him in the future.

Heather

Aka Taximom

• Like 1

I loved it, I am not a huge contemporary fan, only because I am a dance novice and don't understand it, but I was blown away by the talent and performance of these young dancers, particularly given the recent bad press uk training has been given. If I was a parent of a dc about to enter any of these schools in Sept, I'd ignore the negatives and be proud and happy. I also particularly enjoyed Connor and think it is another shining example of more than one road to Rome, I am sure he will have a successful dance career ahead. Roll on next week!

• Like 3

I think the explanation of contemporary dance at the beginning was great, especially for anyone who is new to this genre or struggles to understand. The students dancing their own choreography were outstanding and this is a big part of contemporary dance. I would urge anyone who isn't sure of this genre to watch this hour on catch up, the dancers are amazing!!

Edited to add signature

Heather

Aka Taximom

Edited by taximom

I only caught the last three dancers but have recorded it so will look more closely tomorrow but the three I did see Jacob Diana and Connor were all terrific. I did particularly like Jacob as a dancer but thought the young Connor was amazing in producing so much of his own choreography at such a young age

Lovely to hear he has a place at the Rambert ......he will definitely be in the right place there and they particularly nurture young choreographic talent I believe.

• Like 2

You can see all the dances in full - the website has the clips:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023t1xz/clips

I liked the talking.  In fact I agree very much with this review:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/bbc-young-dancer-2015-bbc-four

Along with the reviewer I also went straight to watch the duet with Jason and Connor and agree that Jason is another to watch.  But I was also very impressed with Connor's performance of "Wavelength", choreography by Amanda Britton.  I am very much looking forward to all the other episodes, though contemporary is my favourite; the introductions in the next episodes will help me to learn about and understand the other forms of dance with which I'm less familiar. 

Kudos to the BBC for this.

• Like 2

I was only watching bits of this programme but recorded it, liked it far more than I thought I would, some very talented dancers plus good choreography, although I'm inexperienced in contemporary one dancer in particular fascinated me, and he won, so I'll definitely watch the Final, and the Ballet evening, not sure about the others. Well presented with interesting interviews and comments.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of contemporary dance and the programme didn't make me love it any more, but it did give me a lot more appreciation for the dancers. I was very impressed with how assured their performances are - hard to believe they are so young. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the hip hop and Asian rounds, as well as ballet.

• Like 2

I was only watching bits of this programme but recorded it, liked it far more than I thought I would, some very talented dancers plus good choreography, although I'm inexperienced in contemporary one dancer in particular fascinated me, and he won, so I'll definitely watch the Final, and the Ballet evening, not sure about the others. Well presented with interesting interviews and comments.

Yes, as soon as I saw him dance I said to my hubby 'that one should win', and he did!  I also liked the young 16 year-old boy;  I think he has a good career ahead of him.

• Like 1

Have mentioned this on the "other" thread

I personally liked Jacob as a dancer but thought the young Connor who did most of his own choreography was amazing too

They said for the final there would be the winners from each category plus two wild cards.

It's early days yet of course but wouldn't be surprised if Connor was one of the wild cards.

• Like 1

Just watched on I player. I liked the style of the programme- a pleasant change from the usual talent shows on the whole. I agree a bit more dancing would be better.

I don't know anything about contemporary which is probably why I don't get it!! I agree Jacob/Diana/Connor seemed the best. Connor is an amazing talent- he held his own and more amongst the others who were older and on higher level courses. Hope he gets a wildcard.....

It will be interesting to see how they judge the final. The styles of dance involved are so varied. Who is qualified to judge?

Can't wait for the ballet......

Just watched. I am soooo proud of these dancers coming out of our British dance schools. A huge compliment to conners dance teachers who have trained him to a high level. Each and everyone of them are so talented. How lucky are we to have the dance training available to our kids in our country.

• Like 3

I would just like to say to moderators that there seem to be two threads on this and would it be possible to merge the two as don't want to have to comment twice over!!

The other one is on the Ballet news thread.