BBC Young Dancer 2015

I know!!

I was just saying that in the CATEGORY finals until I went to look again at the performances online I didn't realise some of the dances had been cut .....as Archie's solo obviously had been

I was just hoping they hadn't cut the dances in this way for tv viewers in the final on Saturday!

It's just that I still haven't watched the actual final on the tv yet as I was there in person at Sadlers Wells on Saturday!!

Edited by LinMM

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still think that the category finals should have concentrated on their routines, not expect us to watch on the web afterwards.  Yes, you can throw in a bit of human interest as to where they come from, who they trained with, and so on, but that could easily be managed in 10 minutes.  I still have no idea why Lauren Cutherbertson was being interviewed; she wasn't one of the judges, and as far as I could see had no direct connection to the programme.

Likewise the bits with their "mentors".   It added nothing to the programme, apart from the mentor saying, "So and so has such a lovely personality/smile/physique for ballet".   Well, they are hardly going to say anything negative, are they? 

Concentrate on the dancing, and then have a bit of feedback from the judges.  They said about one, "It wasn't his day today", but I have no idea why, because they showed so little of his routine. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

I watched the grand final on iplayer last night with my sons, having discovered this rather late in the day - at the point of the Indian finals. I'd say the format is flawed in that it needs a male and female winner (and one overall if necessary).  I agree that the PDD did not do any favours as the ballerina is in front of her partner for much of it - and indeed the male is typically acting in a different capacity compared to the other styles of dance. I got most out of the kathak dancing (though I preferred another dancer in the Indian final) and the kathak solos were the only dances that pulled my sons' eyes away from their phones for the duration..  I must actively seek out some live kathak!

• Like 2

Well, I still think that the category finals should have concentrated on their routines, not expect us to watch on the web afterwards.  

Hear, hear!  But perhaps the more general public (if you can call BBC4 viewers that?) has too limited an attention span?

Yes I agree the whole competition had some serious flaws but hopefully they will tweak it for 2017, we should all write in!

In the end however it was a joy to see such talented dancers but the BBC needs to up their game to give the dancers a better platform. 

• Like 2