Elmhurst Auditions

Lifeafterballet

Still waiting. Auditioned for year 11, daughter feels it is a win win situation for her. If she doesn't get recall then she can attain better GCSE results at her current school and has had a good audition experience. If she does get recall which is very doubtful (she auditioned last year for yr10) and no one got a place at all could change for this years yr10 though, then she would be thrilled. It's not the end to auditions DancerMiax you have now gained valuable experience and it will make you so much more determined.

My daughter only goes to 5 ballet lessons a week and does not do associates or any other prep to help her become a ballerina so it's a hard slog but she's determined to get there one day.

Well done to all recalls x

• Like 1

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter also got a no for year 9. Although we were not really expecting anything my DD is disappointed. I really liked my tour of the school as well, it seemed such a friendly place.

Commiserations to all those with a no and congratulations and best of luck to those going through to finals.

Big hugs to all those nos... DD got a straight no last year from Elmhurst for year 8 and we were very disappointed not to get to the finals but she knew it wasn't a good audition!  But....... there are many other amazing schools and opportunities out there and one of them is waiting for you if you keep working hard and never give up!  :)

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Cross fingers for everyone :) not been on here for a while as not been well but hope everything is going well for everyone☺️Just got back from my dd audition and was very exciting . She's only auditioned for elmhurst as she only wants to try for there so now anxiously waiting for letter ;) xxx

I'm going to an audition next Thursday. I only sent my form off yesterday as a bit of a last minute decision after speaking to the school. Wondering if anyone could shed a light on what the sixth form prelim entails. Also whether I would need to stay overnight on the Wednesday as I am coming from Wales x

From memory (3 years ago) the audition is fairly short 1 - 1.5 hours? and they hold several auditions on the same day.  It took the form of a normal dance class and there was a panel of judges and a camera.  Parents had a meeting with the head, Q & As and a tour of the premises before going in to watch the last 10 minutes of the audition.  At the point we went in to watch the candidates were being taught short combinations and then they performed them a couple of times in groups of 3 or 4.  DD had no pointe in the prelim but I cannot say if that is always the case as I seem to remember her friend on a different day doing a few exercises on pointe.  DDs group was a mix of males and females.  Good luck.

Edited to add that there have been changes at the school since DD auditioned so there may well be changes at the audition stage also.

Edited by 2dancersmum

Thank you for all your replies, my audition is at 1.15 so don't know what to do for the best. If I stay overnight I have to miss the afternoon of school on the Wednesday as well (I'm in year 13 and school are not good with time off, especially as I have three auditions next week so already 3 days off school) and I miss ballet on the Wednesday night as well:/ don't know what to do x

If it was in the morning I'll definitely suggest to book a hotel but because it's not until 1pm I think you can safely travel on the day as it will be after the morning rush hour. As you know we travel from S Wales as well. I've been there quite a few times so that's what I'll suggest.

I'm coming from South Wales and dad thinks it'll take 2 hrs 45. He used to work near elmhurst and it used to take him 2 hrs 30 from our front door in morning traffic. Think we will go up on the day but leave at about 8 o clock when my brother and sister leave for school, so that leaves time for delays:)x

I'm coming from South Wales and dad thinks it'll take 2 hrs 45. He used to work near elmhurst and it used to take him 2 hrs 30 from our front door in morning traffic. Think we will go up on the day but leave at about 8 o clock when my brother and sister leave for school, so that leaves time for delays:)x

I would agree with Sarahw. We travelled from up north the day before her audition after my DD finished school . . . Arrived about 8.30pm.

Good luck Ax

I would agree with Happymum and your Dad.  It should take you less than 3 hours and you are allowing about 4.5 hours to get there.  Cardiff to Birmingham is a just over 100 miles and most of it on dual carriage way or motorway.  The M50 route is far easier than the M5  - far less traffic and dual carriage way.  There are some roadworks towards the top end of the M50 but I have not heard anything on local radio about any delays there.  There are also currently roadworks north bound on the M5 near Bromsgrove.  Hopefully your Dad has satnav or you can read a map as there is no telling for these whether they will cause delay or not - I've been through in rush hour no problem and mid morning been delayed by them.  It depends which route you take into Elmhurst for if you need go through them and it is close enough for you to take alternative routes in if there are any significant delays at that point.  I know it is nice to go up the night before and not feel as pressured on the morning but sometimes it is not possible or practical.  Good luck for the audition