Elmhurst Auditions

Lifeafterballet

Yes, I wasn't expecting to get finals anyway. Deep down I knew I was too old. Starting in September I would be two months away from being 19 so it was always a long shot. But I'm glad I gave it a go x

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi grumpybearzuk

Just wanted to say that you and DD are definitely taking right decision…if you have a great local teacher, you will have significantly more chance of getting personal development than you would at vocational school.

Parents and children embark on this journey that has massive commitment, impact and investment of your child's future, education, time and finances. However you have to ask what information is available to help give you an informed decision. I just wish vocational schools would be more transparent with their performance indicators for dance…..what percentage of students in associates get scholarships/places into year 7, what percentage of these remain in upper school, what percentage of students in year 11 remain in upper school, etc. I think if your were to know these you would be even more certain that this is the right course for you and DD…..good luck.

• Like 1

Hi grumpybearzuk

Just wanted to say that you and DD are definitely taking right decision…if you have a great local teacher, you will have significantly more chance of getting personal development than you would at vocational school.

Parents and children embark on this journey that has massive commitment, impact and investment of your child's future, education, time and finances. However you have to ask what information is available to help give you an informed decision. I just wish vocational schools would be more transparent with their performance indicators for dance…..what percentage of students in associates get scholarships/places into year 7, what percentage of these remain in upper school, what percentage of students in year 11 remain in upper school, etc. I think if your were to know these you would be even more certain that this is the right course for you and DD…..good luck.

The trouble is that percentages vary greatly one year to the next. Its an unknown quantity. Lots of people the same age as my ds successfully completed 8 years of training at various places for example who all knew each other at associates.

Other years there were considerably less, others even more!

I do agree though that local teaching can be as good if not better than full time vocational training. However its not easy for many teachers to find space in their timetables to provide the same amount of classes as a pupil would get at vocational school. If you have a teacher that has the facilities, you are very lucky!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have just received an email from Elmhurst with a couple of different forms attached. To be filled by current school, ballet teacher etc etc. The medical questionnaire does include sections relevant only if offered a place at school after finals. How exciting! But also one mustn't get too excited and hopeful as statistically the chances are for it to be a "no" after finals. Plan is to just enjoy the audition day- such a great opportunity (easier said then done!)

• Like 2

Does anyone know how many girls were recalled for elmhurst year 7 finals? I know how many were recalled for white lodge but was just curious to see if the numbers were similar.

I'm sorry I don't know how many girls were recalled for Elmhurst but I'd really like to know how many were recalled for WL. So please tell us Twoballerinas.

Previously I think there were always a few more girls at Elmhurst then WL but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how many girls were recalled for elmhurst year 7 finals? I know how many were recalled for white lodge but was just curious to see if the numbers were similar.

I would also like to know, I have been told by another mom it was 40 girls but I've yet to have this confirmed by dd's teacher, thanks :)

Edited by Lema

Also not sure which of my dds dance teachers to have fill in the form? So would be interested in hearing from others with more than one teacher, which teacher they will ask? Thanks :) and good luck everyone for on the day xx

My DD has two local teachers but for us it's not a problem as one is the one who spotted my DD's talent and suggested auditioning for JA and choreographed her solo for Tring etc etc. the second teacher just teaches my DD among others in her class. So we always do all the forms with the first one ;-)

• Like 1

Hi -talariumsaltator

Thank you for your words ????

We are very lucky as we have excellent training here and have a lovely lady who is my mums friend who trained with royal ballet who is helping her privately with other things that she maybe doesn't get chance in class so I think personally now we realise this is not the end of the world and she can still train and grow up with her beloved ballet teacher????.

I think you just get pulled along with it all and don't get chance to properly think but she is not upset at all and is now putting everything in to taking her grade 5 exam and upcoming school show .

To be honest I'm still mad with Elmhurst as still had no feedback as was promised and just feel what is the point of training with them 3 years and always doing well in assessments , why she didn't get to finals?? So feedback would help me to accept it even though my dd is not particularly bothered now.

• Like 1

I understand you feeling like that grumpybearzuk. You make the necessary financial and time sacrifices so the least they can do is give the promised feedback!

Two observations from our associate experience:

1)The children who the Associate teacher expected to get in are not always the same as those who get accepted in practice.

2) Elmhurst associates had a wider range of body shapes than RBS Associates but I think in practice Elmhurst mostly took girls with similar body shape to the RBS in year 7 admissions.

I know the latter may not apply to your dd but may provide an answer for some. And if that is the reason it is an extremely upsetting and frustrating one!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anyone able to answer the question asked above? How many children (how many girls) were offered finals at Elmhurst this year? How many MDS places available?

Also, if somebody answered honestly in the forms that their DC had an injury or back pain or other pains/problems - do they still get offered a place? Or have I ruined my DD's chance? :-(

The only thing I can tell you is that Elmhurst don't have a fixed ratio of girls to boys and there are usually though not always more girls than boys in each year .

I do not know exactly how many MDS places there are avaliable , but it must be around 24-28 depending on how many are leaving in the present Year 11 having finished lower school, or may be leaving from other years for other reasons .

You could ask the school directly , by phone of email , - that's safer than relying on second hand information as I made the mistake of doing 2 years ago . Broadly speaking there is an MDS avaliable for most if not all the places offered at Elmhurst - assuming you are eligible of course . Hope that is of some help !

• Like 1

Ah well done Pictures- you beat me too it ! That's exactly what I was going to say - the rules and scale of income are all in the Elmhurst website under MDS and for that matter on the government page about the music and dance scheme .

Edited by Billyelliott

Thanks picturesinthefirelight.

Like happymum, I'm interested if anyone knows how many year 7 girls are likely to be in Elmhurst final? Is it 40, like WL? I assume there'll be slightly less now, as some would have received their WL offers.

Edited by Danceintherain

We are going to Elmhurst finals for Year 7 and I know of at least three more girls that have been invited.

Are the MDS scales on the Elmhurst website generic or just related to Elmhurst?  Trying to work out how much we would be eligible for as wasn't even sure we'd get anything based on my husbands earnings.

When Dd did Elmhurst year 7 finals there were approx 37 girls ! 3 groups ! 2 with year 7's and one with 7 and older in ! All alphabetically arranged ! The WL offers had come out the week before but there were girls at Elmhurst finals who had accepted places at WL ! They offered 13 places that year ! The number varies year on year. Good luck to all those attending next week ! My Ds has finals on Thursday ???? can't believe we are putting ourselves through this again !

• Like 1