The Royal Ballet - Sleeping Beauty, Spring 2014

Look on the bright side Coated - you may enjoy it more than you expect! 

I think as ballet lovers we all know we can never guarantee the casting for many reasons.  I have sometimes booked tickets for specific casts to be disappointed at the last minute but sadly that's ballet-watching life!

• Like 9

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked it if the ROH had send an email about the change (tends to happen for opera more often than not) so instead of skipping around happily all day thinking I'll see Osipova I could have spent my time finding someone  who hasn't seen one too many SBs already to receive a free ticket. Too late now

It was announced on their Twitter feed (@RoyalBallet) and on the website (http://www.roh.org.uk/news) at about 2.20. That's how they seem to get such news out these days. But yes, if they have attendees' email addresses it shouldn't be much sweat to let people know individually.

Interval time at SB. Kevin O'Hare came on stage pre-performance to explain Osipova's absence. Apparently she had a fall in rehearsal yesterday and landed on her back, ending up in hospital! No bones broken but soft tissue damage that did not heal in time. Hope she gets well soon.

Audience largely appreciative of the situation though there was what I can only describe as heckling from at least one person! I know it's disappointing (I am gutted) but there really is no call for that kind of behaviour (IMHO).

Sent from my iphone; hope this works...

• Like 1

I am rather shocked. Heckling! How rude and inappropriate. Do these people think anyone is arranging accidents deliberately? Throwing themselves downstairs to avoid having to perform perhaps?

As for taking it out on the Box Office staff..that is low.

How very rude, also, to the actual performers.

Choe is a marvellous dancer.

• Like 4

Glad to hear all the positive comments about Choe: it can't have been easy for her replacing Osipova, and at such short notice, too.

Very disappointing if anyone took it out on box-office staff: I feel for them.

• Like 2

Interval time at SB. Kevin O'Hare came on stage pre-performance to explain Osipova's absence. Apparently she had a fall in rehearsal yesterday and landed on her back, ending up in hospital! No bones broken but soft tissue damage that did not heal in time. Hope she gets well soon.

Thank heavens there was no structural damage.  That could have been career threatening.  I somehow suspect that she won't dance the other two SB in this particular run.  I should think it would be wise not to.  I only say that based on personal experience.  When I was on my way to a Saturday night performance of Cranko's Taming of the Shrew by Stuttgart Ballet at the Wells last September I slipped on an icy patch (there had been a very cold rain shower immediately previous) just after that major crossing in the Angel in that small triangular cobblestone area surrounded by the flat pavement stones which otherwise prevail in the vicinity.  I literately flew up horizontally into the air and then landed full force on my left thigh on that patch of cobbles.  A young man who had seen my flight very kindly dashed over to ask if I was 'OK'.  I assured him I was ... in some little discomfort ... (repression of emotion being a British national passtime) and went - somewhat stiffly it is true - on my way to the performance which I enjoyed very much.  There was no doubt but that I was a little more painfully stiff the next day and the swelling was considerable.  Indeed it took several days for the major bruising to appear (once the swelling had largely subsided) given the extent of the internal trauma.  On the Monday I called my GP surgery for advice.  (You don't get an appointment now unless you are on the point of death it seems - and even then it may well be debatable I am left to assume.)  I was told to go to the hospital's A&E.  I did so.  No structural damage had been wrought (thank heavens - o lucky me) but a goodly amount of soft tissue umbrage had been taken.  Certainly it took a good six (if not eight) weeks to allow the impacted blood to be reabsorbed and the mulit-coloured parade to finally fade.  The pain quotient largely became negligible at the midway point.  I of course pray for a more speedy recovery for Osipova and if anyone knows her I would HUGELY recommend the frequent application of Arnica Gel.  (I wasn't told about that in the hospital.  I wish I had been.)  For me it was total magic and without hesitation helped to speed my recovery no end.  

Edited by Meunier

That sounds terrible, Meunier.  I am a huge fan of arnica, have used it for many years and think it should be recommended by the NHS.  I am currently using it to deal with the aftermath of a routine blood test that appears to have been carried out by an apprentice butcher. 

I am astonished by the rude behaviour of some members of the public.  It is natural enough to be disappointed, I suppose, but it is not as if the replacement was a raw recruit with no previous experience dancing with the RB.  In fact, given the choice, I would probably have gone for Choe rather than Osipova.  I love her soft, lyrical style of dancing, and think it would be ideally suited to the role.

• Like 2

There was someone heckling in the amphi about getting refunds when Kevin was making the announcement, but everyone quickly told him to shut up. He then shouted out again after Kevin had left the stage, and he was metaphorically slapped down.  If Natalia had injured herself on Wednesday, why did it take the ROH until 2.20 yesterday afternoon to inform everyone?  I assume they knew before then that Yuhui was replacing her?  As a result, I found myself with a last-minute spare ticket that it was too late to sell.

However, every cloud has that silver lining.  I didn't have tickets for any of Yuhui's scheduled performances, and after what I saw last night I'd have kicked myself very, very hard had I missed her.  What a revelation she was.  Whereas I was very disappointed not to be able to see Osipova as this was the only ticket I had to any of her shows, my disappointment melted away as soon as Yuhui and her smile jete'd onto that stage.  What a natural Aurora she is;  so classical, such pretty dancing....and such a strong technique.   She is very musical, finishing her turns exactly on the note in her post-Adagio solo, and moving her lovely arms on each note in her Act 3 variation.  I loved how, when the king tells her she has to get married, she looks surprised for a minute and looks at her mother as if to say "who, me?"  I have never seen an audience laugh at this stage of the ballet, but laugh we did and it was a wonderful way to begin a faultless Rose Adagio, in which she connected with her four suitors all the time, even when she wasn't touching them.  Because she doesn't rush anything, all her moves are so beautifully defined, unfolding with delicacy and strength.  Lovely turns, assured balances, and always that radiant natural smile that, like Marianela's, beams up to the rafters of the amphitheatre.    She was very warmly applauded by the audience (louder and longer clapping than usual when she first appeared onstage;  we were all telling her that she was welcome, and that we appreciated what she was doing) because all understood how daunting it must have been to have to confront many angry Osipova fans in the audience.  Yuhui fought them with her artistry and her professionalism.....and won.

• Like 20

What a beautiful tribute to Yuhui, Sim. Thank you.

I saw an earlier,scheduled performance from her and concur with all that you say about her dancing and interpretation.

I have long felt that she should be occupying Principal roles as a matter of course and now wonder if promotion might, at last, be within her grasp.

• Like 5

What a beautiful tribute to Yuhui, Sim. Thank you.

I saw an earlier,scheduled performance from her and concur with all that you say about her dancing and interpretation.

I have long felt that she should be occupying Principal roles as a matter of course and now wonder if promotion might, at last, be within her grasp.

Thank you Capybara.  I would also hope that it might be time for promotion. 

• Like 2

Kevin O'Hare came on before the Prologue and his appearance was a clear indication of how seriously the RB was taking this. With respect to the lateness of the announcement, I imagine they were making absolutely sure that Osipova couldn't dance; I suppose they were just hoping that she would make a miraculous recovery. It's entirely understandable.

As for Choe, as I indicated before, I thought she put in a fantastic performance. What with the pressure of performing in front of a potentially (though not as it turned out) unfriendly audience, at the last minute, with an unfamiliar partner; if that doesn't earn her promotion then I'm not exactly sure what else she has to do! This was the first time (I think) that I have seen Choe dance (certainly in a principal role) and I thought she was lovely.

It was also the first time I've seen Matthew Golding. Goodness, he looked tall! and he gets considerable elevation on those jumps. To my uneducated eyes, he looked technically great though perhaps a little detached...? Could be to do with last minute partner change of course, so willing to give him the benefit ...

• Like 2

As I almost always book to get the *date* convenient to dd and I, and casting is therefore a bonus, I can't imagine why anyone could be so rude as to heckle, boo, or even get cross with box office staff. Not only would the poor injured dancer be feeling wretched, it's nobody's fault, least of all the replacement's!

Yes, dd and I would be disappointed had we missed out on seeing Nuñez & Soares, Cuthbertson & Bonelli, or Lamb and McRae at recent ballets but injuries happen (especially in such a long run) and we would still have had a wonderful time. In fact seeing Yuhui would be a bonus for me as she is such a special, joyous dancer.

I can completely understand people's annoyance at a ballet having to be cancelled because there is only one cast - but not in this case.

• Like 3

Kevin O'Hare came on before the Prologue and his appearance was a clear indication of how seriously the RB was taking this. With respect to the lateness of the announcement, I imagine they were making absolutely sure that Osipova couldn't dance; I suppose they were just hoping that she would make a miraculous recovery. It's entirely understandable.

I think it was more to explain fully to the audience (and face to face) why she couldn't dance - rather than the bald "due to injury" on the cast change slip (and in case anyone not read the cast change slip). I heard Natalia had wanted to dance, but was advised by the medics not to - which sounds perfectly sane to me, considering the description of what happened in the rehearsal. Personally, I thought it was handled very well under the circumstances, which couldn't have been easy for anyone concerned. Lets hope that Natalia is fit once more for her other shows and has a speedy and full recovery.

• Like 4

Choe delivered a good performance under the circumstances and obviously has nerves of steel. I think the heckling is a little overstated, particularly on twitter. There were a couple of rather amusing shouts for Kevin O'Hare to speak up, and one actual heckle in an audience of 2000+. Not exactly a wave of hostility going towards the performer stepping in last minute, and the audience as usual cheered the entrance of the substitute as encouragement.

Her arms and fast footwork were as usually very good, and her fishdives were some of the best I've seen in this run. There were a few wobbly feet during the rose adagio and her facial expressions that others found charming came across as startling from up close - she has the power to transmit emotion to the back of the amphi, but not to nuance it. I think she is a lovely dancer, but I am not sure it was a performance worth promoting her to Principle for.

• Like 1

Poor Osipova I hope she recovers soon. Due to see SB next sat so will now semi expect Osipova not to dance. I wouldn't want her to dance in a semi injured state just get better. She was probably looking forward to the role too!! If we get Choe instead I shall be very happy have liked what Ive seen so far.

Agree with Chris Chris been a bit of an introductory rough ride for Golding.

Ive been rubbing Weleda's Arnica balm compilation on my injured foot for the last few weeks I'm sure is helping but with any soft tissue injury it will take its own time even with the best of care!!

Lovely performance by Marianela Nunez tonight: she looked as though she was having the time of her life!  And had I not known that she and Muntagirov probably only had a couple of days to rehearse, I never would have realised.  Actually, I thought they made a pretty good couple: I'd guess he's a bit taller than Soares, which means that the offset "mirroring" of the ballerina's positions comes over that much better.  My only disappointment was that the Bluebirds of Akane Takada and Marcelino Sambé were replaced: both dancers appeared elsewhere in the ballet, though, so I'm not going to speculate on what the implications of that are. 

Good to hear that Vadim managed well with Marienela as he's used to much smaller partners. I don't think that he can be much taller than Thiago though.

I hope that the cast changes this evening don't signify yet more injuries in the company. Who danced the Lilac Fairy and the Prologue fairies?

• Like 1

Lilac was Laura McCullough, and I don't have the cast list but three of the fairies were Hikaru, Beatriz and Leticia. The cast change slips are taking on Biblical proportions these days so I don't even look at them; I just go with the flow! Florestan and sisters were Valentino, Yasmine and Beatriz, Bluebirds Melissa and Fernando, Carabosse the wonderful Elizabeth McGorian.

Agree with Alison both Nela and Vadim were excellent and they made a very good partnership. He is just so good; superb dancing and he felt every nuance of the music and the role he played....and those landings from such big jumps: feet perfectly placed every time, and noiseless. Beautiful to behold.....what an asset he will be to the RB.

• Like 3

Agree with Alison both Nela and Vadim were excellent and they made a very good partnership. He is just so good; superb dancing and he felt every nuance of the music and the role he played....and those landings from such big jumps: feet perfectly placed every time, and noiseless. Beautiful to behold.....what an asset he will be to the RB.

I absolutely agree. Muntagirov is simply wonderful. I can't wait to learn what roles are in store for him in the new season. It will be difficult to resist going to every one of his performances. His move to the RB is already costing us a (well spent) fortune!!!!

BTW, the other two Prologue Fairies were Olivia Cowley and (a returned from injury) Helen Crawford.

Alison was reluctant to speculate about the 'disappearance' of Akane Takada and Marcellino Sambe as the Bluebirds when they were clearly visible elsewhere on stage. My guess is that the change arose from Takada being needed to make up the numbers as one of Aurora's Friends. One feels for the Company and individual dancers that the 'sick list' is making things so difficult at the moment.

• Like 3