Valentino Zucchetti stood in for Kena Kura today in the Pas De Six.  He is simply breathtaking to watch, as he has such charisma and stage presence and a huge elegant jumps.  Just captivating. I couldn't take my eyes off him!  Marianela and Thiago danced beautifully today and had a huge response from the audience.  Thomas Whitehead was excellent as Hilarion, with great acting today.  Another good day!

• Like 2

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you I forgot to say I too rated Zuchetti very highly, he has great liveliness and presence-he also looks as if he is really enjoying himself.

-and I also agree that I preferred this Nunez/Soares performance to the Osipova /Acosta excellent as that was ( so it takes all sorts!)

Acosta is a delight to watch as a dancer but I have never believed in him in any dramatic role. That may well be something lacking in me not him, as I know many do.

• Like 2

Thank you I forgot to say I too rated Zuchetti very highly, he has great liveliness and presence-he also looks as if he is really enjoying himself.

-and I also agree that I preferred this Nunez/Soares performance to the Osipova /Acosta excellent as that was ( so it takes all sorts!)

Like GTLeft above, I thought Tierney Heap showed a lot of promise as Myrtha.

I don't know about anyone else, but I actually find Zucchetti's "liveliness" just a bit much in this production: every time so far that he's made his first entrance (the one on his own, when he comes in and announces the Harvest Queen or whatever it is - and I wasn't expecting it today, since there were no injury slips around) I've felt ever so slightly socked in the face by it: as if he's in Technicolor while everyone else is in pastels (which, of course, most of them are :)).

Am third in agreeing I preferred today's performance to the Osipova/Acosta ones: had I not ended up with such a badly restricted view of the stage and the action, I suspect I would have been quite moved.

Am third in agreeing I preferred today's performance to the Osipova/Acosta ones: had I not ended up with such a badly restricted view of the stage and the action, I suspect I would have been quite moved.

It can make a good topic for discussion: how a bad seat affects our overall impression of the performance.

• Like 3

To,be honest am too old now for really badly restricted view seats at the ballet. If I can't see it properly then I don't want to go.....no matter who is performing!! So I go less often and pay a bit more for my seat. So I can really only see one Giselle/swan lake/ Sleeping Beauty whatever in a particular season but can opt to see different dancers in each of the ballets etc.

• Like 3

I agree:  a lovely, elegant performance from Nunez  and Soares-whose long arms and panther like jumps are always a pleasure, -and I thought the corps at today's matinee were absolutely superb. They seem to me better than I have seen them for years. Tight, precise, and especially dramatically very effective, as others have said, in Act 2.

What did others think?

I agree re. the corps Mary - last night they really were tight, synchronised and fantastic in Act 2. Francesca Hayward and Olivia Cowley in particular stood out for me; they are so watchable. I was so impressed last night.

Couldn't even begin to tell you how utterly wonderful Lauren Cuthbertson and Federico Bonelli were. I'm still in a bit of a daze about it all.

• Like 4

It's wonderful, Lemongirl. It was the first ballet that dd saw at the ROH, when they did it as a Family Performance 5 years or so ago.

Who's dancing tomorrow?

Laura Morera and Federico Bonelli.  Haven't seen Laura yet so really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Laura Morera made every step meaningful, and danced like she really meant them.

Such a shame it's the last Giselle for now, I missed too many due to illness and bereavement. Next time, I will watch the lot, come what may.

She really lived the role didnt she? For me her descent into madness from initial shock and bewilderment was quite terrifying.

Bonelli was such a sympathetic partner and I thought he danced particularly well in the 2nd act, as did Miss Morera but then she always does. Why the hell has she not been given this role in previous years?

Am off to hopefully dream blissfully now, its gone midnight.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 4

She really lived the role didnt she? For me her descent into madness from initial shock and bewilderment was quite terrifying.

Bonelli was such a sympathetic partner and I thought he danced particularly well in the 2nd act, as did Miss Morera but then she always does. Why the hell has she not been given this role in previous years?

Am off to hopefully dream blissfully now, its gone midnight.

Artistic Directors clearly have their own favourites, and obviously the previous AD didn't favour Miss Morera in the role of Giselle. Often great dancers have been/are "left out" of dancing a particular role because the AD (or choreographer) prefers (a) certain dancer(s). Wouldn't it be great if we the audience could vote to see particular dancers in specific ballets....we would have seen Miss Morera as "Giselle' many years ago!

• Like 2

Both the dds and I enjoyed it but we agreed it wasn't one of our favourite ballets.  The second half was so beautiful and totally agree about the mad scene - so convincing!

I wasn't sure what our seats would be like as they were restricted view at the side of the amphitheatre.  But we were pleasantly surprised - we were in Row A so we could lean over.  Two of the seats were £22 each and one was only £15.  I wasn't sure why but it was because there was a pillar which restricted your legroom somewhat.  But it didn't bother me at all - not bad for £15!

Out of interest, where are the best places to sit without paying a fortune?

Thereby restricting the view of others behind/beside you.  I'd have been very annoyed if I were in their place.

I did actually wonder about this and did look behind me at the start. It was heavily banked and the way we were leaning meant our heads were close to the rail and our bodies quite flat if that makes sense. It didn't look like their view was obstructed. Surely people behind would have asked us not to if it obstructed their view?

Without seeing the position they were in that's a pretty rude thing to say bangorballetboy.  There are places at the front of the amphi right round at the side where there is only one row and everyone always leans over, it being the one way for the whole row to see.  I think it might create a more tolerant and welcoming atmosphere if the ROH regulars were not so perpetually judgmental about everything from M&S sandwiches in the foyer to the sitting positions of people they did not see.

• Like 2

Without seeing the position they were in that's a pretty rude thing to say bangorballetboy.  There are places at the front of the amphi right round at the side where there is only one row and everyone always leans over, it being the one way for the whole row to see.  I think it might create a more tolerant and welcoming atmosphere if the ROH regulars were not so perpetually judgmental about everything from M&S sandwiches in the foyer to the sitting positions of people they did not see.

It's nothing to do with being a "regular" at the ROH or anywhere else.  Being short of stature I have a significant issue with people leaning forward (at the theatre or even at Stamford Bridge) as it generally completely obliterates my view - this is why I tend to sit in the front row.  Sweeping generalisations aside, the people leaning forward often have no idea that they may be blocking the view of others (and sometimes don't care and make their position very clear that they don't care when asked to sit back) and so I am very pleased that Lemongirl has confirmed that she did look behind beforehand (and all is not lost for (wo)mankind).

One particularly interesting example of this is the front 2 rows of the Balcony at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane.  They are restricted view becuase of the height of the barrier at the front and so the tickets are cheaper.  People often lean forward and block the view of those in the rows behind who have paid for a non-restricted view ticket.  I remember that. back in the days when I frequented the balcony there, this often caused quite a rumpus and needed the intervention of ushers.

[And, to be clear, by the prices of the tickets mentioned by Lemongirl, one can deduce that she wasn't sitting in a seat with no-one behind her.]

• Like 1

It is not a question of stature but of the tone you adopted; it is little wonder that this board sees so few substantive discussions when people are more concerned with leaping in to police audience behaviour than thinking about the ballet (beyond the inevitable soap-opera obsession with casting and hiring and unquestioning fan worship).  

Edited for politeness - I typed in irritation and should not have been so frank.

Edited by Lindsay
  • Like 1

It is not a question of stature but of the tone you adopted; it is little wonder that this board sees so few substantive discussions when people are more concerned with leaping in to police audience behaviour than thinking about the ballet (beyond the inevitable soap-opera obsession with casting and hiring and unquestioning fan worship).  

Edited for politeness - I typed in irritation and should not have been so frank.

I made a personal statement, namely that I would have been annoyed had I been in that position.  If you think my tone was inappropriate, that's your opinion.  You can have it, and I'll have mine.

• Like 3

I am sorry, but you pay for a restricted view so you get a restricted view.  There's a photo on the website that illustrates what you will and will not see.  The tickets of those affected by the leaners do not say "Your view will be affected by patrons leaning forward".  So sorry to say it, but leaning forward, wherever that is, is unacceptable.  As is coughing, dropping your phone/binoculars, whispering a witty observation to your companion, unwrapping candy.  I know there's always an excuse.  But. Just. Don't.

As for Morera - I'm sad to say that I did not enjoy her performance.  She did try very hard, but I kept seeing her making an effort and that affected my expereince.  I want a natural Giselle.  To me, she really tried to be one.  She's great otherwise and a very hard worker and good sport.  Not to say she shouldn't dance the part.  It's just not for me.

Unfortunately, Lindsay, there are many instances in the ROH where members of the audience obstruct the view of others. Maybe some do not understand that they are doing so but, even when the situation is explained to them, others can react rather unhelpfully.

I do agree with you, however, that the over-riding preoccupations on this forum tend to be less focused on performances and substantive discussion than one might expect.

But, since this is a Giselle thread, I must end this post by celebrating what has been a glorious run of Giselles.

As for Morera - I'm sad to say that I did not enjoy her performance.  She did try very hard, but I kept seeing her making an effort and that affected my expereince.  I want a natural Giselle.  To me, she really tried to be one.  She's great otherwise and a very hard worker and good sport.  Not to say she shouldn't dance the part.  It's just not for me.

I found Morera very natural and expressive, but then I was sitting very close and things can look very different from there.  If we all thought the same, we'd be a very boring bunch.

I also enjoyed her interaction with Bonelli.  Not the best ever pd6 from the men, but gorgeous from the ladies.  Fine work from the ladies' corps (pretty frightening in act 2) and truly believeable performances from Gartside (as Hilarion) andf Chapman (as Berthe).  For me, a fine show to end this very fine run. 

• Like 3

I am sorry, but you pay for a restricted view so you get a restricted view.  There's a photo on the website that illustrates what you will and will not see.  The tickets of those affected by the leaners do not say "Your view will be affected by patrons leaning forward".  So sorry to say it, but leaning forward, wherever that is, is unacceptable. 

Having just checked up on the ROH seating plan, I can confirm that leaning forward from those sort of seats can considerably affect the view of patrons behind you: I was in their position only the other evening, and had an unnecessarily restricted view of the stage as a result (hence my comments on the Nuñez Giselle).  And yes, the ROH does mark where they expect people's heads to get in the way, and those seats are supposedly only restricted by the structure of the auditorium.  People frequently don't ask people not to lean forward simply because they can't get at them to ask - and sometimes, as others have indicated, the responses when they do ask are less than polite.  Some years ago (it was a mixed bill including Polyphonia and Four Temperaments, if I remember correctly) I had a Woman With Big Hair sitting in front of me and leaning forward: she took out the entire middle of the stage for me, which was particularly disastrous for those two ballets.

Anyway, back to Giselle: can anyone tell me who's been dancing Myrtha in the last few performances of the run?

I found Morera very natural and expressive, but then I was sitting very close and things can look very different from there.  If we all thought the same, we'd be a very boring bunch.

I also enjoyed her interaction with Bonelli.  Not the best ever pd6 from the men, but gorgeous from the ladies.  Fine work from the ladies' corps (pretty frightening in act 2) and truly believeable performances from Gartside (as Hilarion) andf Chapman (as Berthe).  For me, a fine show to end this very fine run. 

Wasn't it Ms McNally as Berthe?

I found Ms Morera a super Giselle, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't. But as BBB says, be dull if we all thought the same.

• Like 2

Well I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  I was a little surprised at bangorboy's comments, I am certainly not one for doing what I like without any regard for others, I do have some manners!  As I said, I did look behind me first to consider whether I would obstruct their view and I really did think that if I did, someone would tap me on the shoulder and ask me to sit back which of course I would have done.

• Like 5