POB audition

afab

Hi all,

DD2 is auditioning for the 2nd and last time (through normal channels) for POB on Thursday!  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:

As you, lovely people of this forum, are always so supportive, I thought being in your thoughts could only to her good...

Send all your good vibes to France on Thursday end of the morning!

:)

• Like 13

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly wishing her all the best! I think everyone here understands what a big dream it is to be in the POB school. I know my dd would give anything to be there. Praying that she dances her best ever and shines from deep inside her heart :)

• Like 3

Pastel, you are a poet...

Unfortunately, the thing is, there is absolutely no dancing involved on the first audition and that's what's worrying her... It's all about being weighed and measured, bending, jumping, frogging, having your left lifted by someone else until they feel a resistance, etc... All that is not her forte! :wacko: 

When she dances, something comes out, a kind of poetry and magic that is not physical at all... If she goes through, she then gets to dance the second time but I think it is only a barre... 

• Like 1

ooohh, I can't believe THAT is the audition!!! I would call that an assessment prior to audition. If she passes the first test, will the barre audition be the same day?

Here's hoping she makes it through the first stage!

I know, it's pretty strange and they are drastic! Kids get in by groups of about 15-16 and they are seen 4 at a time. Out of these 16 kids, maybe 2 will be kept for the next stage... And today and tomorrow are only kids between the ages of 11 and 13. The ones between 8 and 11 auditioned in December and the lucky one started in January.

No the barre audition is in 2 weeks time.

And no coffee or tour of the school is offered to parents. We are strictly kept to the car park!

I know, it's pretty strange and they are drastic! Kids get in by groups of about 15-16 and they are seen 4 at a time. Out of these 16 kids, maybe 2 will be kept for the next stage... And today and tomorrow are only kids between the ages of 11 and 13. The ones between 8 and 11 auditioned in December and the lucky one started in January.

No the barre audition is in 2 weeks time.

And no coffee or tour of the school is offered to parents. We are strictly kept to the car park!

Oh dear! Why do they make it so hard for kids? Isn't it hard enough to make it as a dancer? I find this ballet world seems to be fraught with near impossible hurdles. 

Sorry you have to wait 2 weeks for stage 2! Hope you've got a stash of good books in the car :).

Ok, I'm an artist and no, it doesn't pay well at all. If not for my husband, I'd be working another job and starving. BUT - we are free to express ourselves as we wish, or, we can cater to the market and probably make more money. It seems that the priority with dancers is that their body type is right, then they need the strength, fitness, flexibility and technique just to get into a school where they can then train to be a dancer. What about their heart? Isn't dance about expression and art?

So, we go along to the ballet and watch POB with our jaws dropping and our hearts bursting because it is all SO exquisitely beautiful! How do they train these bodies to be artists? (And without crushing their little spirits in the process) I've taught in art schools and always believed that you can teach technique but being an artist comes from within. Now I'm questioning everything I ever thought on the subject. 

• Like 1

I was talking once with a French professional dancer who told me that, according to her, POB school produces clones and that only the ones with an outstanding personality can get out of it and shine higher than the corps de ballet... Another told me that training there is great but then dancing elsewhere is better... How many big POB principals have slammed the door to be able to do more interesting things? Quite a few...

I'm not sure I want DD to succeed in that audition but it is so important for her that I also want her to succeed. And even a year at POB school opens so many doors to you...

Edited by afab