THE ROYAL BALLET PROMOTION PREDICTIONS 2024

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

This time last year the now sorely missed @capybara started the speculation thread for RB 2023 promotions.

What at we all hoping for/expecting this year?

Hoping for no new Principals as the Company is so top heavy. Expecting there will be some.  

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 12

Posted (edited)

After yesterday’s The Winter’s Tale, I’d expect a double promotion for Violet Pantuso. I would also anticipate promotions for Ella Newton Severgnini, Marianna Tsembenhoi, Daichi Ikarashi and Marco Masciari.

Barring any unanticipated departures, I can’t see that there is any space at Principal or Soloist level, otherwise I would think Mariko Sasaki could also be in line.

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 7

Promotion to principal: the top rank seems quite crowded with no announcements about retirements. I hope to see Joseph Sissens here one day but not sure if it will happen this season.

Promotion to first soloist: I feel like Mariko Sasaki and Lukas B Braendsrod have been dancing above their pay grade for a while. A few I would hope are still on their way up but might have to wait a little longer: Leo Dixon, Annette Buvoli and Leticia Dias. (And eventually: Joonhyuk Jun, Sae Maeda and Taisuke Nakao.)

Promotion to soloist: Julia Roscoe (I thought she was already a soloist!), Marco Masciari, Daichi Ikarashi, maybe Liam Boswell - I wouldn't be surprised to see Viola Pantuso skip a rank to end up here after the season she has had. (This has made me think a bit about how difficult it must be for an artistic director to keep everyone happy if dancers feel like they're being overtaken/realise they're not on the path to juicy roles or solo parts etc - so glad that's not my job.)

Promotion to first artist: Viola Pantuso, Marianna Tsembenhoi and, with her Alice leading role coming up, Ella Newton Severgnini.

• Like 11

It is an indication of the current strength in the company, both male and female, that when I started my wish and my expectation lists I came up with half the company!  I would say that I have changed my mind about Melissa Hamilton this season.  I used to think that she was a wonderful First Soloist and that was where she should stay, but now I think it's time to promote her.  On the male side, I would promote Lukas BB for sure, and probably Leo Dixon too.  Joe Sissens and Calvin Richardson are, I suppose, next in line for Principal, but I don't think either of them is quite there yet.  I also agree that Julia Roscoe should go up to Soloist, and Marianna and Viola up to First Artist.  Personally I think that Marianna should go straight to Soloist, and perhaps Viola too, but maybe next season.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Joe Sissens and Calvin Richardson are, I suppose, next in line for Principal, but I don't think either of them is quite there yet. 

Agree, but haven't we said that about other dancers in the past?  Kevin O'Hare does seem to like promoting what I would regard as "early".

Although I started the thread, I wasn't really sure what changes  I should suggest myself....thankfully everyone so far has posted well-argued ideas,  most of which I agree with.

I don't think there is really  room  for any new male or female Principals as matters stand, nor any really outstanding  candidate for promotion to that level, other than James Hay  but he now seems to have fallen into the  Forlorn Hope category (which I suspect also applies to most other current  First Soloists). 

• Like 8

I agree that Joseph Sissens isn't quite ready for principal but I do have a feeling he will be promoted this year. As others have noted, O'Hare has a tendency to promote early, and principal promotions always generate a bit of excitement and publicity. And there was no principal promotion last year.  

I agree with every else's picks. My 'left-field' pick is Amelia Townsend. 

• Like 6

Much as there are several dancers clearly lined up to be Principals. I can’t help but hope that none of them will be promoted just yet, partly because I’m not sure they are fully ready yet, but more because there are just too many Principals and they don’t get nearly enough stage time as it is. Mariko Sasaki I don’t think has yet had enough ‘big’ roles to justify it. Another season with some more opportunities would really benefit her.

That said, I pretty much agree with everyone’s picks above.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Balletfanp said:

Much as there are several dancers clearly lined up to be Principals. I can’t help but hope that none of them will be promoted just yet, partly because I’m not sure they are fully ready yet, but more because there are just too many Principals and they don’t get nearly enough stage time as it is. Mariko Sasaki I don’t think has yet had enough ‘big’ roles to justify it. Another season with some more opportunities would really benefit her.

Mariko is only a soloist, not a first soloist! I do think a promotion to first soloist would be justified. 

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, San Perregrino said:

8 principal males, 10 principal females so perhaps room for a promotion to level things up.

my issue with promotions at the top is that we end up seeing less of the very dancers that we are enthusiastic about.

Historically, has it been more usual for the number of male and female principals to match? 

• Like 1

Definitely Julia Roscoe and Nadia Mullova Barley to Soloists and Marco Masciari of course. But I’d also like to see more of Harrison Lee ( who stood out among the dancers in Act 2 in WT last night) so if it takes a promotion for that then I’m for it. 
Not sure about other promotions yet. 
Sissens would be my choice to go to Principal but not sure it there’s really room there yet unless others retire or leave etc. 

• Like 3

Melissa Hamilton, absolutely. Surely her time and she should not be consigned to the forlorn hope category since she brings something very different to the party from either existing or other potential principals. Although less suited to some classical roles, she is unsurpassed in MacMillan, Ballets Russes or contemporary work. 
Otherwise, Lucas BB has had a fabulous season and Leo Dixon continues to be a scene stealer in whatever he appears in. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I have changed my mind about Melissa Hamilton this season.  I used to think that she was a wonderful First Soloist and that was where she should stay, but now I think it's time to promote her. 

Oddly enough, a friend voiced exactly the same opinion at Winter's Tale yesterday.  I heartily concur.

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Personally I think that Marianna should go straight to Soloist

I think so too.

• Like 4

No  male promotions to Principal, please. We have far too many - they don't get enough opportunity to dance enough of any ballets as it is and I don't think any dancers are quite there yet - just my opinion. Sissens is a lovely dancer but I don't think he merits it yet. Same for Richardson. I think Mariko Sasaki and Lukas BB definitely to First Soloist (the latter has surely learnt this after such a fabulous season!)  Leo Dixon, Viola Pantuso, Marianna Tsembenhoi and surely Marco Masciari - though to what, who knows?! I think we need more First Soloists, personally. Not sure how it all works though and whether some can skip levels and also, is it a good idea to?  Melissa Hamilton's lack of promotion really has surprised me over the years - I sadly can't see her being promoted now, but who knows? If RB were to make a new Principal, then I'd be more than happy for it to be her.  I like Nadia Mullova Barley and would like to see her promoted to Soloist, I think. 

• Like 11

Yes, Melissa Hamilton for principal, please! She certainly deserves it though I don't think she gets the stage time and variety of roles she deserves. Who knows what she would be like in the main classical ballets as she's never cast in them! Also agree with Lukas BB who  for me has taken over from Erico Montes as the character to watch out for whenever he's on stage. Marianna, Daichi and Marco too, please. Wonderful to watch that intake from Aud Jebsen apprentices to develop as full company members though I haven't seen much of James Large and Denilsen Almeida lately whom I also liked.  Strange how some dancers catch the Directors eye and others don't. Finally, I'd love to see Annete Buvoli  promoted as she brings grace and serenity to any role she undertakes.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, lady emily said:

Mariko is only a soloist, not a first soloist! I do think a promotion to first soloist would be justified. 

Yes, fair enough - I was forgetting that. First Soloist, yes, definitely.

• Like 2

Another vote for Melissa Hamilton to principal. Between Paulina in TWT and Requiem and re-watching her Summer Fairy in Cinderella, she just has that star quality. There is no-one else who particularly seems ready for principal, despite some potentials for the future.

I'd really like to see Marco Masciari, Daichi and Liam Boswell promoted, plus Marianna Tsembenhoi. 

Looking back at my thoughts earlier in the season for promotion, Lukas BB and Leo Dixon would be on my list for soloist to first soloist. I think Leticia Dias  or Annette Buvoli in terms of the ladies but I think more likely for the men this year (Lukas BB at least).

• Like 11

1 hour ago, lady emily said:

Absolutely, especially after her brilliant Swan Lake.

I agree that Sissens is not completely ready for Principal yet, though I hope to see him as one when the time is right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, San Perregrino said:

my issue with promotions at the top is that we end up seeing less of the very dancers that we are enthusiastic about.

aye, there lies the rub!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Absolutely, especially after her brilliant Swan Lake.

I agree that Sissens is not completely ready for Principal yet, though I hope to see him as one when the time is right.

From what I saw in Winter's Tale, his partnering is not up to Principal level yet. Although I heard the same thing about Corrales and he was promoted. 

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Blossom said:

Another vote for Melissa Hamilton to principal. Between Paulina in TWT and Requiem and re-watching her Summer Fairy in Cinderella, she just has that star quality. There is no-one else who particularly seems ready for principal, despite some potentials for the future.

Not to mention her Manon earlier this season...it was gut wrenching and heartbreaking.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

From what I saw in Winter's Tale, his partnering is not up to Principal level yet

I agree, which is why I think he needs another year.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I echo those saying no principals this year. It’s already feeling very top heavy and there doesn’t have to be mandatory promotions to that rank I’m assuming? If we do have one I think looking at numbers (and injuries) a male would make more sense given it seems we have to have male principals partner twice to even out females. I think Sissens is probably my “next in line” but not this year. I don’t think any other first soloists are “ready” either - I would have said James Hay a few years ago but between his injuries and him not being cast much (not his fault I add!) it’s difficult to get a sense. 

I think I’m more enthusiastic about promotions further down the ranks, but also more promotions to first soloists are needed though - between maternity leave and injuries this is a rank I see less of on stage and miss, and also seems smaller in numbers compared to the others which is interesting given that traditionally they would be the dancers stepping in for principals and also doing a bulk of the important secondary/soloist roles all ballers rely on! (It seems much of the latter now is taken by those further down the ranks.)

I know we do have some returners from maternity leave but I think there are some strong soloists that could rise to the challenge of promotion. Buvoli, Dean, Sasaki and Dias to name a few. (I don’t want to pick one or two as I attend ROH far less regularly now so don’t feel to qualified to narrow further!) On the male side maybe Dixon, Nakao or Jun but I feel less familiar with the company overall as I attend much less nowadays due to travel and cost. 

I agree Pantuso needs a promotion, although not sure about a “double” one (not because it would be undeserved but surely she’s dancing those parts anyway?). I’m surprised Tsembenhoi wasn’t promoted last year! Mullova-Barley impressed me in the insight for swan lake and also I saw her live in the Spanish dance. 

I haven’t seen Hamilton recently as she seems so under-utilised, I think the problem of ranks and promotions is it doesn’t mean you see dancers more (if anything you often see them less as noted already) so to be honest as long as people are cast appropriately and given opportunities that’s the main thing. Although of course (most) people can’t work for free and ranking is a recognition of their talent being recognised so it is very important! 

Edited by JNC
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

In the Soloist ranks, has anyone heard if Yudes and Storm-Jensen are returning from their respective leaves of absence? 

Edited by oncnp
  • Like 1

I have long been an admirer of Melissa Hamilton- partly through the  unusual and determined way she has perused success in her chosen career. I think she has that presence and command of the stage that marks her out. She has matured as an artist and, as has been noted previously, is unsurpassed in certain parts of the repertoire. She’s stayed loyal to RB since returning from Semperoper despite the rather limited opportunities that have come her way in recent years.   I really hope she is someone that bucks the trend in Kevin O’Hare’s policy of promoting young.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oncnp said:

In the Soloist ranks, has anyone heard if Yudes and Storm-Jensen are returning from their leaves of absence? 

I was wondering the very same thing the other day. When would we hear? With other joining/leaving announcements?

• Like 3

Lukas Braendsrod for me is the one absolutely necessary promotion. After the season he has had, with role debuts as Espada, the Conductor, the Nutcracker Prince (to 3 different SPFs!), the Gaoler, Von Rothbart & Requiem, it would be a travesty if he didn't get promoted to First Soloist. I also hope that he ends up making it to Principal in the future, though obviously not until some time as First Soloist & experience with some more leading roles.

I don't feel as strongly about other possible promotions. I agree with the previous comments hoping that there aren't any male Principal promotions as the potential candidates (I personally would prefer Richardson over Sissens but imagine the latter is more likely) don't feel quite ready yet. I'd love Hamilton to be promoted but sadly after over a decade it feels like if she was going to be promoted it would have already happened some time ago. Has anyone ever been promoted after over a decade stuck at one level?

Lower down the ranks it feels like there are a number of possible promotions to Soloist or First Artist that would be deserved but a limited number of possible vacancies to enable promotions. I might be wrong but in theory I'd expect a ballet company to have the greatest number of dancers at the lowest rank with numbers then gradually decreasing up the ranks, however the RB already currently has more Soloists and First Artists than Artists, hence it feels like promotion possibilities may be limited.

• Like 11