Alexander Campbell becomes Artistic Director at the Royal Academy of Dance

39 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Oh my goodness- Alexander Campbell leaving RB?!! Has someone told @Jan McNulty

He still is young despite having danced many leading and featured parts at BRB & RB and I'd been hoping to see him in more roles. Glad I've booked to see his Des Grieux.

Congratulations to him for getting the RAD post and to the RAD for securing such a great person for the role. Still, it feels like he's leaving too soon, when he still has so many great performances in him and is at the top of his game. 

Alex must be in his late 30s.  People forget he learned his trade at BRB for at least 6 years before he moved over to RB.

I will never forget his outstanding performance as Cyrano, his Will Mossop, his Puck and so many other roles at BRB plus Albrecht, Lescaut, Des Grieux and more at RB.

• Like 8

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a shock.  I'm disappointed the announcement passes over his time at BRB so briefly, considering all he did there - and I expect Jan will be saying the same (effectively, we were cross-posting).  But congratulations to him, and best wishes to both him and Calvert for the future.

With regard to (public) notice periods, it's hardly unknown for them to be brief: think Bonelli, and Morales, recently. 

16 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I do find it hard to believe though that this is recent news for KOH/RB and therefore disappointed that Alex's last performances are so soon, with little chance of getting tickets - unless KOH has been incredibly flexible on his notice period.

The MacMillan triple bill casting was only announced on 6th February so presumably Campbell wouldn't have been listed for Different Drummer if the RB had already known he would be leaving before the performances? Does anyone know if dancers have to usually have to give months of notice of leaving or would it contracturally be the single month's notice that is standard for many jobs, even though most give longer notice?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roberta said:

Let's be pleased for him. Let's be delighted that he's been given this opportunity to give to others. 

I think every post on this thread shows that everybody IS pleased for him.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Roberta said:

Yes. And while audiences will miss him, it's a fresh beginning for him, building on all he has achieved in his dance career, on and off the stage.  At 38, bodies begin to ache more, niggling injuries don't heal so readily, and possibly, the appetite to carry on day by day pushing yourself as a dancer, doing class, rehearsing, performing begins to dim.  So many different opportunities in this role for him.  I'm very pleased for him, and it must be a relief for Claire too to know one part of their family's future is secure.  

It's a short life is dancing, and finding what to do next never easy.  Wise man. There's a whole new ballet related life ahead. He's given so much pleasure as a top class performer. Let's be pleased for him. Let's be delighted that he's been given this opportunity to give to others. 

Agree with all you say here.  And, while I maintain 38 is young to retire from top flight performance career, 38 is very young to land a fairly prestigious strategic role, so Alex is now well positioned for rapid career advancement in those areas.  Timing is all.

• Like 6

Happy for him - very glad I got to see him as Lescaut twice during this Manon run. What a talented dancer and actor he is. He still seems at his peak, but as others have said that’s a good time to take the next step. I’m sure his final performance will be very emotional. I thought he might finish the season in Ashton - was hoping to see him as Oberon - but oh well! Also wish I’d managed to catch him in Cinderella! 

I also don’t wish to divert the topic, but I guess having a principal spot open might create some more upward movement for the rest of the company? Though I think it would be premature to add to the number of principals right now, it’s interesting to consider for the future.

Edited by art_enthusiast
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Looking at the instagram post the same post was simultaneously placed on each organisation's account...although there's nothing yet on the ROH website

I like to think of the ROH website as having the reactions of a large dinosaur. If you tread on its tail it takes at least 3 days or more for any reaction 

• Like 7

I think this is RAD news and perhaps the Royal Ballet has left it to the RAD to announce. No doubt a different announcement paying tribute and wishing him well will come from the ROH soon. I suspect this has been in the pipeline for a while and Kevin O'Hare has supported him throughout. That this role has come up in London at possibly the right time for Alex Campbell (for fans there's never a right time to say goodbye, is there?) is really fortunate.

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 2

His name is Alexander, shortened to Alex. Not Alec, that's my late great-uncle who was the last of the Australians who fought at Gallipoli when he died in 2002.

I first connected with Alex on Twitter many years ago now, because someone tagged me by mistake - I introduced myself as "the other cricket-loving A Campbell" 🤭 I actually knew his father through cricket and was vicariously thrilled when I heard he'd gone to RBS.

I will miss his dancing but wish him all the very best in the new role.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sim said:

He is also a great presenter for the RB for World Ballet Day....I wonder if those Days are over?

I loved his presenting. I hope he may be able to do some?

Congratulations to Alex. What a wonderful opportunity for him, though I will miss his beautiful dancing very much. He seems too young to retire from dancing!

• Like 8

Well didn't see this coming! Hadn't even known the RAD were recruiting for the Top Job......it seems to me there is currently very many institutions & dance bodies recruiting at the AD & similar level.....certainly in UK & Europe. I thought Campball/Calvert recently opened/took over a regular dance school too?

It does sound a fabulous opportunity to him & glad he's remained in UK!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

it was Alex and Francesca who really introduced me to this beautiful art form in their BBC "Dancing the Nutcracker" documentary, setting off my visits to live ballet

That's nice and I know others who have said the same. Just think how many more loyal ballet-goers there might be if we had a bit more such TV exposure...

All the best to Alexander and I am pleased he is staying in the UK.

• Like 5

Wonderful memories of recent performances

- brilliant Des Grieux with Francesca Hayward in the last run

- clever Lescaut only last week with Osipova, Clarke and Magri.  Never seen the brother sister relationship work this well

- audience stunned into silence by his Romeo with Yasmine Naghdi

- masterful lead role in Dances at a Gathering 

I could go on! 

• Like 12

I've realised that Campbell was the first dancer I saw live in a Royal Ballet performance*, because the first live RB ballet I saw was Mayerling & he was Bratfisch. By a rather depressing coincidence the first singer I ever heard at the ROH, Angelika Kirchschlager (Octavian in Rosenkavalier April 2004), also announced her retirement only a few weeks ago.

As well as not seeing him live as Lescaut, the other thing I'm really kicking myself for now is never having seen him as the Prince in The Nutcracker. In the last couple of seasons I've been trying to catch dancers over 40 who probably wouldn't be performing for too many seasons more (Bonelli, Morera, currently Lamb) in as many roles as possible but didn't think there was any urgent need to do so yet in his case. Clearly I was wrong.

(*Though I did see some Royal Ballet dancers in the Royal Opera's production of Acis & Galatea back in 2009.)

• Like 6

Maybe not so surprising as I feel he has been very underused recently, but sad all the same... I very much wish I'd seen his Romeo. Extremely fortunate to still have a ticket for the 8th; I've already seen this pair before and had booked for Takada so planned to cancel but hadn't gotten round to it, now going to try and rearrange diary so I can keep it! They were very good when I saw them, though that was just rehearsal - I thought he made an absolutely superb Des Grieux so pleased he gets to go out on such a wonderful role.  

• Like 5

Given that this will be his last performance and it will be, if not already, a sell out. Why don’t the RB get this performance streamed, it could get a huge number of take ups and then follow up with a DVD.  Come on RB, you have the technology , make some money.

Edited by SPD444
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Given that this will be his last performance and it will be, if not already, a sell out. Why don’t the RB get this performance streamed, it could get a huge number of take ups and then follow up with a DVD.  Come on RB, you have the technology , make some money.

Not only for the money, but to make those of us who can't be there very happy indeed!!

• Like 7

I remember thinking it was a shame when Hayward was announced as the replacement for Takada for Manon, when there is Hamilton with one performance and also plenty of female principal 'Manons-in-waiting'. 

This newest announcement makes it fall into place - it is fitting that Campbell's last performance is with a partnership that has brought us so much joy over the years. My favourite role of his remains his Bratfisch (he embodies it like no-one else) and I will be very sorry to never see it again. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MildConcern said:

I remember thinking it was a shame when Hayward was announced as the replacement for Takada for Manon, when there is Hamilton with one performance and also plenty of female principal 'Manons-in-waiting'. 

This newest announcement makes it fall into place - it is fitting that Campbell's last performance is with a partnership that has brought us so much joy over the years. My favourite role of his remains his Bratfisch (he embodies it like no-one else) and I will be very sorry to never see it again. 

Yes....his Bratfisch made me weep.  It was so sad and poignant.  His Romeo with Miss Naghdi as Juliet was one of best performances of this ballet I have ever seen, and I have been watching it for decades.  He did it his way, and it worked brilliantly with Yasmine.  It ripped me apart and I will never forget it.  

• Like 8

In which case they could film it for a DVD release.  Hayward's Manon should be committed to whatever the current equivalent of celluloid is, and for it to be with Alex for his final show would be glorious.

• Like 8

I’d already got a ticket for the 8th but I couldn’t resist picking up a ticket for the 2nd. Alex Campbell and Francesca Hayward have given so many memorable performances in recent years and how fitting for Alex to sign off with Francesca in Manon.

• Like 6

I have no doubt the 2024 cine relay will be out on the ROH stream eventually,  with Alex Campbell's Lescaut, but there is a recentish DVD (2019) of Manon already from the ROH (is this still on the ROH stream?) so I suspect that will still be being sold for a while yet.   I also suspect three weeks is rather less time to get the finance, a director, producer and all the rest together to do a proper job of filming the performance.  

• Like 1

So sorry to see him go, especially as I can no longer see live performances. Just thankful that I saw him in quite a few roles, including Manon and Romeo, but particularly memorable was his Two Pigeons with Yuhui Choe. What a pity he seemed to have been so under used of late.

• Like 6