Alexander Campbell becomes Artistic Director at the Royal Academy of Dance

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Swan said:

There are a few returns on the ROH website for 2 March, have just managed to grab one!

Congrats! 

Out of curiosity does anyone know if there is a certain time of day resales are put back on the website, or is it just automatically as they come in?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Swan said:

There are a few returns on the ROH website for 2 March, have just managed to grab one!

I saw those and am annoyed to say I am away that weekend and can't make that performance! 😡

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Congrats! 

Out of curiosity does anyone know if there is a certain time of day resales are put back on the website, or is it just automatically as they come in?

Automatically as they get returned (because people can even returh them at midnight or some random time like 3am as the website software processes the ones that are more than 24 hours in advance and no longer require a box office staff member to do them via email or phone, although people can still return via email and phone). So if you're looking for returns, check any time because a good seat might come back at an odd time.

I've also noticed a slightly greater number come back at around 25 to 26 hours before the show as people who can't come put off deciding whether to return or try to rearrange plans, then as the 24 hour deadline for box office credit looms, they then decide they won't wait any more in case they don't get a resale and will  return it/them just before that 24 hour cutoff. NB this is not a guarantee nor prediction that there will be a lot of returns on Friday 1st March or Thursday 7th March as people might decide to hold on to tickets and attend when they hear that Campbell is leaving. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Linnzi5 said:

I saw those and am annoyed to say I am away that weekend and can't make that performance! 😡

And I'm annoyed that I have no trains that weekend so can't make it either! I've been checking the website fairly frequently all day & haven't seen a single ticket for 8th appear, whereas there have been tickets for every other Manon performance, so either no one is returning them or they're being snapped up instantly.

• Like 3

Absolutely delighted for Alexander and his new appointment just wow! I'll be very sorry not seeing him dance again. As others have already said, I always felt he was underused at RB, his Bratfisch was brilliant and that arm hat roll was perfection! I've always thoroughly enjoyed every show that I've seen  Alexander dance, whether with RB or Birmingham RB. A thoroughly charming decent young man and no one could deserve this opportunity more than him. Congratulations to Alexander. Commiserations to us on our loss! 

• Like 13

I am shocked to hear this.  He is one of my favourites, and to lose him so soon after Morera is a terrible blow.  He is such a good actor, and can be genuinely funny, which is a rare talent for any dancer to have.  Sadly, I never saw his Romeo, a role that I know he played at BRB, but never seemed to be cast in very often at RB?  I saw him dancing Mercutio at one of the performances I did see.  Not sure who danced Romeo, but I remember thinking at the time that if I had been Juliet, I would have gone off with Campbell's Mercutio instead!

I am not clear what the AD for the RAD actually does?  

Edited by Fonty
spelling error
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Does anyone know who organised the flower throws for Roberta Marquez, Zenaida Yanowsky, Thiago Soares, Federico Bonelli, Laura Morera etc etc.? 

Just wanted to thank (belatedly) whoever bought and organised Ms Marquez's flowers as the staff gave spares to any audience member exiting at the front door who was able to take them home, so I had a nice little bunch of chrysanthemums for 2 weeks to remind me of Roberta Marquez and Alexander Campbell's brilliant performance that night.  😊

I thought these were all organised by the Royal Ballet but I don’t know if individuals contribute to the costs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I am not clear what the AD for the RAD actually does?  

When the last AD was appointed, his role was said to be 'providing artistic leadership, creativity and expertise to all areas of the Academy’s work, maintaining its artistic integrity and leading on the development of its artistic, education and community initiatives on a global scale'. I assume that is still broadly the remit now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

And I'm annoyed that I have no trains that weekend so can't make it either! I've been checking the website fairly frequently all day & haven't seen a single ticket for 8th appear, whereas there have been tickets for every other Manon performance, so either no one is returning them or they're being snapped up instantly.

I've been checking too and nothing has appeared for 8th as yet :( Typical you have no trains - AGAIN!

• Like 1

The ROH website now has an article on Campbell leaving. https://www.roh.org.uk/news/alexander-campbell-artistic-director-royal-academy-of-dance

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Sadly, I never saw his Romeo, a role that I know he played at BRB, but never seemed to be cast in very often at RB?

Two performances in January 2022 is the sum total of his Romeos at the ROH, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Two performances in January 2022 is the sum total of his Romeos at the ROH, I believe.

And he never danced Siegfried in Swan Lake either, which I always thought was a travesty. He really was under-appreciated! 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, alison said:

Pretty certain he's done more than that!

His ROH Romeo debut was 12th January 2022 & he had another performance on 15th. When else has he danced the role at the ROH? I know he's done it with BRB and abroad but I can't think of any other time at the ROH?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alison said:

I quite agree, bridiem - although of course Kevin O'Hare does have a habit of promoting early.  I find it a bit offensive to the dancer who is leaving to suggest by implication either that they are doing the ballet equivalent of bed-blocking, or that they can simply be replaced in the rankings by another dancer.

Could not agree more with that comment.Sad to see Alexander leaving at a relatively young age but I am sure he will be a fantastic teacher and administrator.

We are currently very top heavy with principal dancers. No more please.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

I thought these were all organised by the Royal Ballet but I don’t know if individuals contribute to the costs.

@emeralds as well:-

I thought the Ballet Association organised flower throws with contributions from fans?

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Q Fan said:

I thought the Ballet Association organised flower throws with contributions from fans?

I don’t think so! The BA does, however, make gifts to dancers who are leaving.

There are certainly instances where the initiative to throw flowers has been taken by audience members. However, other flower showers have been organised (or  augmented) by the ROH with staff doing the throwing.

• Like 2

A very attractive quality of Alexander’s is his concern for others and support for his colleagues.

One example of this shines through in the The Nutcracker documentary where his focus was not on his own performance but on enabling Frankie to ‘nail it’ as a debutante SPF.

And, in his autobiography, Vadim Muntagirov speaks of being lucky to be sharing a dressing room with Alex - a close-up appreciation of the special man he is (which I feel shows on stage).

• Like 20

1 hour ago, capybara said:

And, in his autobiography, Vadim Muntagirov speaks of being lucky to be sharing a dressing room with Alex - a close-up appreciation of the special man he is (which I feel shows on stage).

And Vadim was best man at Alex's wedding! I think there are few co-workers that close! 

• Like 11

Also at the bottom of Alex's Instagram page there is a lovely, funny birthday tribute to Vadim and a hilarious Q and A session at the end of the links.

Alex will be sadly missed for the passion, intelligence and humour he brought to all his roles and to people who waited at the stage door. Such a shame he was so seldom selected to be filmed in major roles but we have some roles to treasure,  Basil, Benno, Bratfisch and the Brown Boy in Dances at a Gathering.  Hopefully his final, fabulous Lescault will be streamed as a tribute to his great talent.  Irreplaceable. 

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 12

15 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I can't remember if it was Ballet Association but I kniw one of the supporter groups did collect contributions and do them ages ago (from an old leaflet I saw more than 20 years back) so you could be remembering the same group? 

If one looks at today's Dance Links (thank you @Sophoife) The Stage has a little article about Alex Campbell's appointment as AD at RAD - it is paywalled but if you sign up just for their mailing list you get 3 articles for free each month - there's a nice picture of him in Dances at a Gathering in the  role of the Boy in Brown. Thankfully his performance in Dances at a Gathering is recorded on DVD (as a double bill with The Cellist) - it's wonderful. There is a trailer on YouTube where he and other cast members give their thoughts about the ballet but so far no clips of his solo/pas de deux though. 

• Like 3

There is someone called The Royal Ballet Fan has a Youtube channel with five plus minutes of clips of Alex Campbell dancing, called Alexander Campbell The Royal Ballet Company. 3 August 2021. All the old favourites. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2