Alexander Campbell becomes Artistic Director at the Royal Academy of Dance

Just now, ninamargaret said:

What a pity he seemed to have been so under used of late.

It's possible he was pursuing his other interests, of course, to which perhaps he was devoting more time in order to consider where he wanted to go next and add to a CV, and of course as a new dad perhaps he's had time off to enjoy the baby? 

He's been devoted to ballet for many many years and maybe has decided he needs a new chapter to begin.  It's hard work at the top and bodies get tired. Some get tired sooner than others. 

• Like 2

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we're just adding tributes here, I'd like to add that Alexander Campbell's Troyte in Enigma Variations is one of the best and captures the spirit of the character created by Dowell and intended by Ashton- the solo has to be fast (you can't linger over each pose or take your time over each jump) and the speed is essential. Campbell really performed it well without looking like he was rushing. A pity he wasn't filmed in the role.

Another unusual one that not many might have seen but is indeed filmed (thank you YouTube and Facebook) is his pas de deux with Sarah Lamb (in the role first danced at RB by McRae and recently danced by Hirano) to the Vivaldi music, where he is a wonderful strong partner, but also shows sensitivity and chemistry with Lamb in the tender moments of the music. I would have liked to see the two of them in some full length ballets. 

Also, his brilliant Benno in Scarlett's Swan Lake. He really helps move the story and of course,  his dancing is very good in the Act 1 pas de trois and the Act 3 divertissement.  The performance was filmed and is on DVD so at least we have that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck to Mr Campbell in his future administrative endeavours. Have always enjoyed his performances since he and Francesca Hayward made the most endearing partnership as Hans-Peter and Clara. 
Like others I’ve wished he could have had more opportunities in the ‘big’ roles but he adds so much in whatever part he’s given. Even if I’ll miss his farewell Des Grieux it was good to watch his superb Lescaut in the recent cinema screening. 
And in his interviews and as a presenter he’s invariably a great ambassador for ballet - sure that will continue!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MildConcern said:

This newest announcement makes it fall into place - it is fitting that Campbell's last performance is with a partnership that has brought us so much joy over the years. My favourite role of his remains his Bratfisch (he embodies it like no-one else) and I will be very sorry to never see it again. 

Although a last performance with Takada as Manon again, which would have been the case but for her injury, would also have been very fitting, given their various lovely partnerships !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FionaM said:

Wonderful memories of recent performances

- brilliant Des Grieux with Francesca Hayward in the last run

- clever Lescaut only last week with Osipova, Clarke and Magri.  Never seen the brother sister relationship work this well

- audience stunned into silence by his Romeo with Yasmine Naghdi

- masterful lead role in Dances at a Gathering 

I could go on! 

I heartily concur with all of these.

Heartbreaking as Albrecht with Francesca Hayward as Giselle, irresistible as Colas with Roberta Marquez as Lise, dazzling (too much so?) as Benno, and brilliant as Troyte, turning to the left too.

Edited by Jan McNulty
At request of OP to correct an autocorrect
  • Like 4

I’m late to the discussion - I didn’t expect this news and I’m sorry I won’t be seeing him dance again. His performance as Lescaut two weeks ago was one for the ages. Massive congratulations to him!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes....his Bratfisch made me weep.  It was so sad and poignant.  His Romeo with Miss Naghdi as Juliet was one of best performances of this ballet I have ever seen, and I have been watching it for decades.  He did it his way, and it worked brilliantly with Yasmine.  It ripped me apart and I will never forget it.  

I will never forget that performance of Romeo and Juliet either and am sad that I may not get the opportunity to see Alex dance again before he takes up his new role. Fingers crossed I can grab a Manon return as his Lescaut is brilliant but I would love to see his De Grieux too.

Congratulations to Alex, I’m sure he will be a huge success but I will certainly miss him at the RB.

• Like 7

a big congratulations to Alex it’s a well deserved role and he did seem to be expanding into this space with his more producer type roles with the Limit etc. so in that sense it’s not a surprise. I have no doubt he’ll be fantastic in the role based on how he presents well (from my watching of his World Ballet Day livestreams as others have mentioned!). 

It’s been nice seeing others reminiscing about great performances of Alex they’ve seen. For me, I am also reminded that yes he was the first lead male I saw at the Royal Ballet when he danced Des Grieux with Takada. Since then I’ve enjoyed him in many performances including Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Benno in Swan Lake, the excerpt of Daphnis and Chloe in the Fonteyn Gala and many many more. He has wonderful classical technical but seems to also bring a real depth to performances whether kindly prince or cheeky chappie!

I too was hoping to see him in upcoming MacMilland and Ashton works, alas…

Not to detract from the fantastic news for Alex but I do agree that the announcement is rather sudden. I appreciate there is lots of behind the scenes working out that needs to happen and once a decision has been made I’m sure there is a reason why they don’t want to delay his appointment for a few months, but I do wish he had been able to see out the Season, if nothing else to give people at least a chance to book for his final performance. I feel sad for people who won’t be able to attend due to how quickly he’s leaving. Something similar happened with Federico Bonelli and so I do wish they did announce things with more time. 

I also think the Royal Ballet should do an official press release (if they haven’t already, I don’t think an instagram post counts) and piece on their website. (The royal opera house instagram post is just a sort or repost of the RAD done so if you go to click the link in their bio it doesn’t appear as the text clearly means to link to the RAD link in bio!) 

I really like the idea of streaming his final performance, even better if it’s a DVD! Maybe someone can do a campaign with ROH (unfortunately they probably have sold the seats they need to remove for the cameras already…?) but I hope it can happen! 

Anyway all this is a very long way of ultimately saying well done Alex, what a great opportunity and you will be missed at the RB but glad you are staying in the world of ballet! 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Another unusual one that not many might have seen but is indeed filmed (thank you YouTube and Facebook) is his pas de deux with Sarah Lamb (in the role first danced at RB by McRae and recently danced by Hirano) to the Vivaldi music

Forgot to add the ballet's title was Within the Golden Hour!

He was also a brilliant and funny Franz in Coppelia to Laura Morera's Swanilda and Francesca Hayward's Swanilda (stepping in for Steven McRae), a charming Colas to Roberta Marquez's Lise in La Fille mal gardee, and a great pairing as Oberon with the Titania of Laura Morera in The Dream. And one of our favourite Hans-Peter/Nutcrackers in The Nutcracker- he really looked very protective of his toy soldiers in the battle scene and unfailingly gallant to his Claras, Emma Maguire and later, Francesca Hayward. 

I missed out on his Prince when performances were cancelled by Covid and later when schedules clashed, but thankfully there is some of his dancing in the role in the Nutcracker documentary with Hayward and the Royal Ballet School shown on BBC.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 6

Have to say I am quite devastated by this news as I had hoped to see him for years to come. I am very fortunate to already have had a ticket to the performance on 2 March. I've never thought to wait by the stage door for a photo with the dancers before but given it would be my last ever chance I am tempted: is this something people do? 

If someone is promoted in his place surely it will be Joseph Sissens? 

Edited by lady emily

12 minutes ago, lady emily said:

Have to say I am quite devastated by this news as I had hoped to see him for years to come. I am very fortunate to already have had a ticket to the performance on 2 March. I've never thought to wait by the stage door for a photo with the dancers before but given it would be my last ever chance I am tempted: is this something people do? 

If someone is promoted in his place surely it will be Joseph Sissens? 

Or Calvin Richardson?!  There is a thread about going to the stage door that you might want to have a look at:

• Like 1

As far as I understand it Mr Campbell was not cast in The Winter's Tale or Swan Lake, the RAD opportunity knocked on his door, and in order to take it up in a timely fashion, it was a choice between Des Grieux and Different Drummer as a final rôle.

Just think of the influence he is going to have on how ballet is taught - the AD has serious input on syllabus work!

• Like 8

According to the RAD release on this  "Alexander’s last performances with The Royal Ballet will be as Des Grieux in Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon on Saturday 2nd and Friday 8th March 2024" 

So those who haven't booked for the 2nd, try the 8th.  

Is it a thread to ask if there will be a flower throw?  Unfortunately I am having surgery on the 8th so cannot be there, but would love to contribute to the atmosphere of his farewell.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MAB said:

Is it a thread to ask if there will be a flower throw?  Unfortunately I am having surgery on the 8th so cannot be there, but would love to contribute to the atmosphere of his farewell.

I hope it goes well, @MAB.

• Like 2

Good luck with your operation MAB 

It’s a long time since I’ve been involved in a flower throw but I can’t remember the Company being that involved in it. 
We mostly used to throw from the boxes and seem to remember ( but possibly incorrectly) negotiating leaving the flowers in there for the end of the performance. 
I think it was mostly ballet “fans” who organised it but in those days the flower market was still in Covent Garden so close at hand for buying flowers. 
There may have been a “chief” organiser but can’t remember and/or whether they were directly connected to the Company or not. 

• Like 2

This announcement has caused me to reflect on Alex’s performances. Conclusion: he seemed to be able to ‘deliver in spades’ across an incredibly wide range of rep., with characterisation being a particular strength.

The amount of pleasure you have given me, Alex, is MASSIVE. 
Thank you soooo much 🔥👏🌸

• Like 19

Does anyone know who organised the flower throws for Roberta Marquez, Zenaida Yanowsky, Thiago Soares, Federico Bonelli, Laura Morera etc etc.? 

Just wanted to thank (belatedly) whoever bought and organised Ms Marquez's flowers as the staff gave spares to any audience member exiting at the front door who was able to take them home, so I had a nice little bunch of chrysanthemums for 2 weeks to remind me of Roberta Marquez and Alexander Campbell's brilliant performance that night.  😊

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

This announcement has caused me to reflect on Alex’s performances. Conclusion: he seemed to be able to ‘deliver in spades’ across an incredibly wide range of rep., with characterisation being a particular strength.

The amount of pleasure you have given me, Alex, is MASSIVE. 
Thank you soooo much 🔥👏🌸

Seconded! He has so many qualities that have made him such a special dancer: purity of line, technical strength and cleanliness, musicality, dramatic skills, sincerity, unobtrusive and sensitive partnering, and a rare kind of showmanship that is theatrical without ever being showy. He approaches all his roles with such intelligence, and produces performances that are consistently interesting, beautiful and (when required!) moving. A very rare talent.

• Like 23

15 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Seconded! He has so many qualities that have made him such a special dancer: purity of line, technical strength and cleanliness, musicality, dramatic skills, sincerity, unobtrusive and sensitive partnering, and a rare kind of showmanship that is theatrical without ever being showy. He approaches all his roles with such intelligence, and produces performances that are consistently interesting, beautiful and (when required!) moving. A very rare talent.

What a beautiful way of succinctly putting everything I have been reflecting about since the announcement. I have always enjoyed his performances most, especially the ones with Hayward. What always strikes me is his attention to detail, how every movement of all body parts seems thought out. His hands especially always catch my eye: he is so delicate when he carefully presents his hand to his pas de deux partner and yet your eyes are drawn to the subtle flourish with which he does it. He isn't flashy; his dancing is precise, clever, tight, unique, and it works so well particularly within the company. There isn't another principal at the company who I think dances like he does. It is a great loss and I'm slightly devastated by it, though I think this selfishly as I'm sure it is a huge opportunity for him and his family! 

• Like 19

19 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And in so many of his roles he had a warmth about him that radiated across the footlights, that's something that made him so special for me.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

Good luck with your operation MAB 

It’s a long time since I’ve been involved in a flower throw but I can’t remember the Company being that involved in it. 
We mostly used to throw from the boxes and seem to remember ( but possibly incorrectly) negotiating leaving the flowers in there for the end of the performance. 
I think it was mostly ballet “fans” who organised it but in those days the flower market was still in Covent Garden so close at hand for buying flowers. 
There may have been a “chief” organiser but can’t remember and/or whether they were directly connected to the Company or not. 

I think the company may have 'facilitated' earlier flower showers but my  impression was that they were organised and paid for by the audience. I remember hearing that 'they' (a group of regulars) had collected £100 for a flower shower for Merle Park's debut in Swan Lake  - and that, 50 years ago,  bought quite a lot of daffodils!

• Like 5