3 hours ago, jmhopton said:

I suspect you're right about Fille. Even the few BRB performances at Sadlers Wells might deter Kevin so let's hope for better things in 2025/6. At least we know because of the Ashton celebrations, there will be some Ashton next year which is certainly not usually predictable. 

Ticket sales are slow at the moment for BRB’s La Fille in both Birmingham & London but if it proves to be a crowd-puller perhaps that will add weight to bringing it back at the ROH. 
Paris sold out, but another BCF member once said that the Palais Garnier always sells out because people want to see the building so best not to take the sellout as a guide to UK interest.

In relative terms too, pricing La Fille as a full length ballet as was done in Paris without coupling it with another short work makes it an expensive watch
The ROH Ashton Triple Bills in June are also selling slowly but I’ve seen some ads on social media this week so hopefully this will encourage sales. 

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ticket sales could be slow because aren’t the performances at the end of October!! I will almost certainly go but won’t be booking it just yet! 

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me to book tickets to Fille - done!

It is a long way away, and I am trying to remember when the RB season normally has its first night -  some people  may possibly be wanting to see what's on offer there, and indeed elsewhere,  before deciding which performance of BRB Fille to go for.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mary said:

Thanks for reminding me to book tickets to Fille - done!

It is a long way away, and I am trying to remember when the RB season normally has its first night -  some people  may possibly be wanting to see what's on offer there, and indeed elsewhere,  before deciding which performance of BRB Fille to go for.

The first night often moves about a bit - usually late September or early October. Last year, ie this season, the first night was 30 Sept 2023 (Don Quixote). For the previous season it was 5 Oct 2022 (Mayerling). 

I am waiting a bit to book Fille as it's easier for me to move ROH tickets if there is a clash with Sadler's Wells than to move Sadler's Wells if ROH programming/casting clashes with a Sadler's Wells booking. A big thank you to whoever/the people at ROH who thought of putting the advance ticket return option on the website and implemented it successfully! 👍 👏 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

A big thank you to whoever/the people at ROH who thought of putting the advance ticket return option on the website and implemented it successfully! 👍 👏 

Yes indeed.....a great boon which I don't believe is offered by any other comparable venue.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Yes indeed.....a great boon which I don't believe is offered by any other comparable venue.

I love that we can now just click and it is sorted out instantly! No need to wait ages for someone to answer the phone or to keep checking my inbox to see if the box office staff have replied to my email yet and the uncertainty of what they might say/not say. The £4 fee per ticket is worth it for the speed and elimination of hassle. Great system. More venues should do something like it- I think it would improve their box office income. 

• Like 6

On 07/04/2024 at 06:19, jmhopton said:

Unfortunately Myrtle, I don't think any performances of Choe were filmed of her either in Rhapsody or Fille. I'm don't think she's been filmed in any major roles (certainly not these) since the cinema broadcast started and so far they seem to be the major source of ballet streaming materials. There may be earlier recordings I'm not aware of that may find their way onto the stream but I suspect it's a long shot as any non current casts would have to have a certain audience pulling power, such as Bussell, Fonteyn or Dowell and Sibley and I don't think Choe is widely known outside ballet loving circles. I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

I suspect you're right about Fille. Even the few BRB performances at Sadlers Wells might deter Kevin so let's hope for better things in 2025/6. At least we know because of the Ashton celebrations, there will be some Ashton next year which is certainly not usually predictable. 

Thank you very much.   It makes me sad but I appreciate your wisdom.

On 07/04/2024 at 06:37, Emeralds said:

There won't be any additional recent  recordings of Fille and Rhapsody aside from the recent ones of Natalia Osipova with Steven McRae as those two ballets are generally not big sellers on the DVD market (it is likely that Osipova's performances were chosen as her international fame would help improve sales of both cinema relay seats as well as DVDs). Yuhui Choe and Valentino Zucchetti's performances in Fille were not filmed. As far as I can recall, Choe wasn't cast in the  Rhapsody lead.

Many of Choe's other performances were filmed-she can be seen in the Swan Lake DVD with Osipova and Matthew Golding in the lead roles (she dances in the Act 1 pas de trois) and the Concerto,/Judas Tree/Elite Syncopations DVD where she dances the 1st movement female lead with McRae. She's also one of the four visiting Princesses in Act 3 of the Nunez/Muntagirov Swan Lake DVD, but that's a small role compared to the ones on the other two DVDs.

Thank you.  Now I know I can stop hoping for that miracle stream.   Thank you for the suggestions, too.  I've bought most of those DVDs, and the princess outfit does not appeal to me because I love the fluidity of her arms.    

I don't know if Yuhui is even viewed as an Ashton dancer by the knowledgeable folks here, I just think she'd be too charming as Lise, so I'll hold on to that hope for the next Fille revival.  :)

• Like 3

On 07/04/2024 at 10:01, alison said:

I really don't think that 3 paltry performances can be regarded as saturation of any kind ☹️

You're right and I appreciate the correction.   I was mistaken about how many performances BRB is performing this season.

(BTW, thought I'd already posted this?   If my other post ended up in the wrong thread, please kindly remove the duplicate.  Thank you.)

2 hours ago, myrtle said:

I don't know if Yuhui is even viewed as an Ashton dancer by the knowledgeable folks here, I just think she'd be too charming as Lise, so I'll hold on to that hope for the next Fille revival.  :)

Yes, Yuhui is absolutely regarded as an   Ashton (and MacMillan) dancer. Also very versatile- she was incredible in McGregor's Infra. She was brilliant in the lead of Ashton's The Two Pigeons and as Lise in previous seasons, so I hope a revival of Fille will happen soon and she will be cast as Lise again. First Soloists are unlikely to be given the cinema relay performance (except as a substitute at short notice for illness/injury) so you might have to make the trip to London to see her in a lead role, @myrtle🙂

• Like 2

I suspect that, at this stage in her career, the chances of seeing her in a lead role are very low.  Plus of course she's now on maternity "leave" anyway, so won't be dancing for some time. 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2024 at 14:46, San Perregrino said:

Ticket sales are slow at the moment for BRB’s La Fille in both Birmingham & London but if it proves to be a crowd-puller perhaps that will add weight to bringing it back at the ROH. 

Do many people book ballet months in a dance like mega fans on here? I would guess yes for things like Swan Lake and Nutcracker which do sell out reasonably early but for all other programmes there seems to be more sales closer to the time once people investigate what to do in the next two weeks or so and or see PR pushing recent programmes.

I’m hopeful La Fille sells very well (surely 3 performances in London is easy enough to do…?) and I wouldn’t be too concerned about it not selling yet. NYCB sold pretty well (it sold out quite a few weeks before I think?) which I was pleasantly surprised by. All the ballet seasons having been announced highlights how late ROH’s announcement is in comparison. I am guessing it will be announced by the end of the month with ticket sales for the autumn season starting around July (for general booking) I’m imagining.  Realistically I don’t expect Fille if BRB are doing it (though conversely if people go in October and enjoy it would they be likely to be excited to see it in Spring at ROH?) but that means I’m hopeful for Sylvia, or failing that I’d like to see Cinderella revived again (although not necessarily so soon over other works that haven’t been, but would rather have that than Alice!). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, myrtle said:

Thank you very much.   It makes me sad but I appreciate your wisdom.

Thank you.  Now I know I can stop hoping for that miracle stream.   Thank you for the suggestions, too.  I've bought most of those DVDs, and the princess outfit does not appeal to me because I love the fluidity of her arms.    

I think Yuhui's most notable appearance in dvd form is in Ashton's Symphonic Variations

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, JNC said:

failing that I’d like to see Cinderella revived again (although not necessarily so soon over other works that haven’t been, but would rather have that than Alice!). 

Really, did you not like Alice? I've never seen it live, only clips, but I would be happy to see it next Season if they brought it back. A lot of the music seems lovely.

I think it feels a bit too soon for Cinderella as it was only on last year. I liked it very much though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNC said:

All the ballet seasons having been announced highlights how late ROH’s announcement is in comparison. I am guessing it will be announced by the end of the month with ticket sales for the autumn season starting around July (for general booking) I’m imagining.  

I think it's already been notified that the new season is being announced on 30th April.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alison said:

I suspect that, at this stage in her career, the chances of seeing her in a lead role are very low.  Plus of course she's now on maternity "leave" anyway, so won't be dancing for some time. 

Hoping that she will come back and that it coincides nicely with Fille coming back also- since we're told not likely to be 2024-25 season sp hopefully 2025-26? 

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

I think Yuhui's most notable appearance in dvd form is in Ashton's Symphonic Variations

Thank you RobS,  I totally forgot (!!)  Symphonic Variations had been filmed - saw it on TV ages ago and she is great in it. Would recommend that recording to @myrtle as well: Myrtle, it is on the DVD of The Dream, Symphonic Variations, Marguerite and Armand (Yanowsky and Bolle). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, art_enthusiast said:

Really, did you not like Alice? I've never seen it live, only clips, but I would be happy to see it next Season if they brought it back. A lot of the music seems lovely.

I think it feels a bit too soon for Cinderella as it was only on last year. I liked it very much though

I’ve only seen it on TV (think the BBC streamed it many years ago when it was first created) but remember feeling very disappointed and underwhelmed. Felt a lot of “dance acting” to me rather than lots of choreography and “proper” dancing. I know in a full length ballet there is some filler to a point, but in classical works or Ashton it still feels like choreography/ballet to me. (I find some of MacMillan’s veers towards filler at point but he manages to keep the balance just about right and also his pas de deux make it worthwhile!) Just personal preference.

I don’t think I disliked it and if I still lived in London I imagine I would go and see it to try it. But now I don’t it’s too much money for me to spend on a whim, similarly that’s why I’m not seeing a Winter’s Tale (that I would have been more interested in but there’s no matinee so I would have been up for putting in the train costs but not the accommodation on top, and the tickets were practically swan lake priced!). 

I agree it’s maybe too soon for Cinderella BUT they did revive Dante in a similar timeframe (2 years after premiere) so it wouldn’t be unheard of. I don’t mind if Alice is revived, means I can save more money! 

7 minutes ago, JNC said:

I’ve only seen it on TV (think the BBC streamed it many years ago when it was first created) but remember feeling very disappointed and underwhelmed. Felt a lot of “dance acting” to me rather than lots of choreography and “proper” dancing. I know in a full length ballet there is some filler to a point, but in classical works or Ashton it still feels like choreography/ballet to me. (I find some of MacMillan’s veers towards filler at point but he manages to keep the balance just about right and also his pas de deux make it worthwhile!) Just personal preference.

I agree with you. It seems more like dance theatre than ballet. I saw it at the premiere and laughed like a drain at some of the scenes but the next time it fell completely flat. So for me, it's a once off entertainment which is fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Hoping that she will come back and that it coincides nicely with Fille coming back also- since we're told not likely to be 2024-25 season sp hopefully 2025-26? 

Thank you RobS,  I totally forgot (!!)  Symphonic Variations had been filmed - saw it on TV ages ago and she is great in it. Would recommend that recording to @myrtle as well: Myrtle, it is on the DVD of The Dream, Symphonic Variations, Marguerite and Armand (Yanowsky and Bolle). 

Thank you so much.

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

Thank you for the insight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alison said:

I'm just dreaming, don't mind me.  :)       

Edited by myrtle
  • Like 1

There is a surprising amount of Choe on YouTube, clips of soloist roles over the years, also clips of her guesting as Odette / Odile with Korea National Ballet.  She's a lovely dancer, one who IMO should have been a principal, though it's always possible she enjoys being a first soloist, who knows? 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Took a bit of hunting to find this thread  again,  but just to report that casting from Sarasota Ballet for the performances of Walk to the Paradise Garden in the Ashton Celebration mixed bill is now on the ROH website:- 

Macarena Gimenez,  Ricardo Graziano and Daniel Pratt dance on 7, 21 and 22 (evening) June. 

Jennifer Hackbarth, Ricardo Rhodes and Daniel Pratt dance on 18 June and 22 (matinee) June.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Jane S said:

Also just noticed that the sets and costumes for Les Rendezvous will be by Jasper Conran!

5 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Is that a good sign? Don't know much about him, I've only heard his name vaguely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Conran

I'm just thinking black leather (David Bintley's Edward ll)!!!!

He also designed (to my eyes) stunning costumes for a Scottish Ballet production (by Galina Samosa) of Sleeping Beauty and the set and costumes for her Swan Lake.

Yes, Kevin O'Hare mentioned that at the Ballet Association the other night.  I assume it's okay to say that since the information is now public knowledge.

Conran's tutus for Tombeaux are some of the most beautiful ever designed, in my opinion.  (And I think worked fine once the boning issue was sorted).

• Like 1

A few photos of rehearsals for Rhapsody & The Dream have been posted on the ROH's Flickr. It's good to see O'Sullivan is rehearsing Rhapsody, which presumably means she has recovered from her injury. I'd guess for The Dream that Boswell & Ikarashi will be dancing Puck, as the photos of them have that tag, plus Boswell is pictured holding a flower (i.e. for the purpose of applying the juice to the lovers' eyes).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/albums/72177720317038927/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/royaloperahouse/albums/72177720317038922

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Natalia is in some of the photos. Probably means her injury was minor and she has recovered, which is good news. Hoping to see her in the Swan Lake next month.

• Like 3