ENB Mary Skeaping Giselle January 2024

37 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that.

X/Twitter is managed in an insane manner by new ownership although the users are as sane as they were before it was bought over. ENB have also posted on Facebook, which used to be sane until a friend abroad alerted me to the fact that FB has started spamming my personal posts (ie not those by a company or business) with inappropriate advertising or surveys. Am considering dropping FB altogether except I can't currently find a satisfactory alternative. Have decided to post disclaimers that the advertising and surveys are added secretly (I can't even see what spam my friends are getting unless they send screenshots) without my consent. 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely to see Alison McWhinney back on stage post maternity leave at the working stage rehearsal this evening- I have missed her.

@Irmgard interested to know if you have any information on costumes for this production, particularly the ‘regal’ party attire… Men seemed to be wearing Tudor costume but the ladies’ costumes did not seem to be from the same era so would love some more insight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fonty said:

I have worked in IT for the last 25 years, and am on the internet every single day.  However, I never use Twitter/X.  Had a look at it once, decided it was not for me.  I don't mind companies or individuals using it, although it shouldn't be the main means of communication.  To be fair, I've always found ENB pretty quick to change their website casting with any last minute changes.  For ROH, I rely on the good people on this forum for the latest info.  :)

I am wondering how my brother with cope with Giselle.  Although he enjoys ballet, both he and my niece are relative newcomers to live performances.  At least it is traditional, he nearly had a nervous breakdown when they went to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake.  Men dancing together? Good grief.   They should enjoy it, but you never know.  They may object to the jolly dancing peasants in act 1, as it goes against their political views!      

I thought the dancing peasants were quite empowering on the left side of the political spectrum (they're the happiest and the nobles ask them nicely for refreshments rather than giving orders) and quite acceptable (they are the ones carrying the furniture) on the right side.  🙂 I've found that Giselle is generally welcomed by a whole range of newbies from all walks of life. 👍 

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I suppose it may be the quickest way to get last minute messages out to people  so can’t blame them for that I suppose but wish they would give consideration to at least their Friends and get emails to them asap. as well. 
As it happened I did get an email today about the cast changes but it’s not always like this.

Do ENB even know who has booked what tickets?  They will either have been booked with the Coliseum, or TodayTix, or various other people, so I'm not sure ENB will have any record.  It's not the same as the Royal Opera House.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blossom said:

Will the content be significantly different to the last run?

Do you mean the programme?  If so, it is quite different from the 2017 programme and I hope you enjoy its contents, including some very lovely photographs of past productions.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Blossom said:

Lovely to see Alison McWhinney back on stage post maternity leave at the working stage rehearsal this evening- I have missed her.

@Irmgard interested to know if you have any information on costumes for this production, particularly the ‘regal’ party attire… Men seemed to be wearing Tudor costume but the ladies’ costumes did not seem to be from the same era so would love some more insight.

These are David Walker's designs and suggest the early Tudor period for the ladies, as well as the gentlemen, before ruffs and farthingales.   Yes, it is lovely to have Alison back dancing again.  If you were still in the auditorium when a loud cheer went up behind the curtain, it was all her colleagues, led by Aaron Watkin, cheering her for he fabulous return to the stage.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to hear that.

Yes, Mr. Frola is on course for his performances, and did an exceptionally fine stage rehearsal with Miss Oliveira this afternoon. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Well I don’t know Alison but I usually use a Friends code when booking a ticket so perhaps this should flag up something. 
But presumably cast changes are general information for the Company so anything twittered should equally be emailed if you are on their books. I subscribe to ENB newsletters etc as well as being a Friend but if they were to only use  Twitter it would take a while for info to get to me. 

9 hours ago, Irmgard said:

Do you mean the programme?  If so, it is quite different from the 2017 programme and I hope you enjoy its contents, including some very lovely photographs of past productions.

Yes i did. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Irmgard said:

These are David Walker's designs and suggest the early Tudor period for the ladies, as well as the gentlemen, before ruffs and farthingales.   Yes, it is lovely to have Alison back dancing again.  If you were still in the auditorium when a loud cheer went up behind the curtain, it was all her colleagues, led by Aaron Watkin, cheering her for he fabulous return to the stage.

Thank you for this also - going to look up early Tudor ladieswear!

Re Alison, so pleased. She was a fabulous Myrtha but would love to see her dance Giselle. I tend to find that not all dancers (not ENB specific) can get the Act 1 characterisation quite right and I get a sense that she could. She is the ENB dancer I cannot understand why she has not been promoted to Principal.

• Like 4

On 09/01/2024 at 19:55, Sebastian said:

A most useful complement is an unpublished essay by Alastair Macaulay, available online at his website:

https://www.alastairmacaulay.com/all-essays/giselle-and-her-problems

Having just read this, I am surprised that the penultimate paragraph begins "By contrast, Giselle, the wili, will dance again – will rise each night with all the other wilis." The synopses for Giselle that I have read in recent years have, as far as I can recall, indicated that by saving Albrecht & defeating Myrtha Giselle has also saved herself from being a wili & will be able to rest in peace in her grave.

I found the essay very interesting but also a little depressing, given the criticisms of the Wright & Skeaping productions which are the main ones available in the UK. It's not as if British ballet viewers can pop off to Russia at present to see their versions!

While I am not generally interested in updated versions of classics, I can't help being intrigued by the production described "where Albrecht was a bisexual line-dancing teacher from Bratislava"!

Edited by Dawnstar
Typo
  • Like 6

Macaulay seems to criticise British companies and productions most of the time, so I wouldn't pay much heed, Dawnstar.

Meanwhile, could someone kindly remind me whether the mime in this version is the same as that in the RB?  Especially, for example, Berthe's when she is warning Giselle about the Wilis?  I am taking a friend tonight who has never seen Giselle so if the mime is the same I would like to talk her through it.  Sadly my memory doesn't seem to go back as far as the last time ENB danced this production!!  

• Like 1

It seems that it will be impossible for this series of performances to match the quality of the cast with Alina Cojocaru a few years ago (with Cesar Corrales in the Peasant pas de deux). A great ENB era.

7 minutes ago, MAX said:

It seems that it will be impossible for this series of performances to match the quality of the cast with Alina Cojocaru a few years ago (with Cesar Corrales in the Peasant pas de deux). A great ENB era.

As this run hasn’t yet opened I’d politely suggest that you were putting the cart before the horse. Who knows what performances might happen over the next 2 weeks… amongst others Franceso Gabriele Frola is scheduled to debut as Albrecht, Emma Hawes was a standout Odette/Odile this time last year, Sangeun Lee and Gareth Haw are new to ENB etc etc etc 

Edited by PeterS
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MAX said:

IMO there are plenty of fabulous dancers (and casts) this time so I don't think it's impossible at all but quite likely ! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Meanwhile, could someone kindly remind me whether the mime in this version is the same as that in the RB?  Especially, for example, Berthe's when she is warning Giselle about the Wilis?  

I don't think it's the same.  I had a feeling it might be even more detailed, but it's possible I was wrong and that it's less detailed.  I probably wasn't paying a vast amount of attention in January 2017.

13 hours ago, MAX said:

Rather odd that you single out Corrales as a Peasant when he has danced Albrecht in this production:

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/14339-english-national-ballet-mary-skeapings-giselle-london-coliseum-2017/page/6/#comment-198120

It was very good to see the Coli packed out last night and it was an appreciative audience. 

Such a lovely set in Act 1 and such exquisite costumes for the Wilis. The corps and orchestra were excellent. I could have done without so much applause during Act 2. It broke up the atmosphere. 

Still mulling the performance. It was good but left me strangely unmoved. Not sure why yet. 

Overhearing - some folk were confused by the story. It would help if Hilarion's costume was less similar to Albrecht's.

(No whooping, popcorn - it was being touted but with few takers-  phone problems or standing up, near me anyway - a pleasant relief)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

This is such a beautiful production, like a Romantic painting brought to (vivid) life. I thought the dancing was excellent; like Mary, I wasn't hugely moved but I think that was at least in part because I was physically uncomfortable for various reasons including the Coli balcony seats... But I did think that Aitor Arrieta was a wonderful Albrecht - so tall, so handsome, so charming in Act I - the happiest Albrecht I've ever seen. No-one has ever said no to this Albrecht. Which made his demeanour in Act II all the more tragic. Beauty brought low. Katja Khaniukova was excellent in both acts. I loved Alison McWhinney's Myrtha, and the Wilis were brilliant and terrifying - really malevolent. Fabian Reimair was a terrific Hilarion - clear and convincing. It all looked gorgeous and the company looked to be in fine form. And lovely for ENB to have proper curtain calls!

• Like 15

17 hours ago, MAX said:

well Alina is one of the all time great ballerinas in many roles and Giselle is one of her triumphs.   She has guested all over the world in this ballet. 

Please book to see her in ‘La Strada’ which I am convinced will be an exceptional showcase of her dramatic abilities.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary said:

(No whooping, popcorn - it was being touted but with few takers-  phone problems or standing up, near me anyway - a pleasant relief)

I did hear a few whoops, but that doesn't bother me a lot - but I did get a strong whiff of popcorn in act 2. What ARE they thinking of!! Atmosphere shredding, or what!

No probs with anything else as in the balcony front row, scrunched up to peep through the 'box' created by the board and the rail (good view - but my back not thanking me this morning!)

As to the performance - what a pleasure! Katja Khaniukova is a dancer I like a lot, and apart from the dreaded 'hops' on pointe in Act 1, was glorious. Giselle is probably my favourite ballet, and it's always great to see for me. And I do like this production, no denying.

One slight bother though, was whenever the Wilis were chasing anyone but Albrecht, the lighting went into 'save mode', so it seemed, making it quite difficult to see.

• Like 6

Alina Cojocaru is one of the all time great Giselles absolutely wonderful defo in my top 5 ( I’ve been going a long time now!)

But I find I always enjoy this ballet even if one of the top 5 is not dancing Giselle!!! 
And you never know when another one is going to join the all time greats list!! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

One slight bother though, was whenever the Wilis were chasing anyone but Albrecht, the lighting went into 'save mode', so it seemed, making it quite difficult to see.

It was a bit difficult to see at times, but (given that I already know the story!) I really liked the lighting - a reminder that this is actually all happening in the dead (literally) of night, but lighter when showing the Wilis in their element.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

It was a bit difficult to see at times, but (given that I already know the story!) I really liked the lighting - a reminder that this is actually all happening in the dead (literally) of night, but lighter when showing the Wilis in their element.

fair point 🙂

• Like 1

I enjoyed it last night, but as others have said I felt no emotion at the end.  The leads were fine, but didn't wow me, although Katja's interpretation was very sweet and heartfelt.  For me, this production has always been about the Wilis/Corps de Ballet.  Act 2 is so beautiful to look at.  I will post some more thoughts after I have seen the next two casts that I have booked for.  I too was in the Balcony (row C) and I will never, ever buy seats in rows A, B or C again.  The people in rows A and B were having to shift around constantly and lean forward (I had to ask the woman sitting in front of me to please sit back) because their views are impeded by both the guard rails and those bits that stick out.  Luckily I am sitting one level down for the next two so I will save posting more until after I have seen them.  

• Like 4

I’m in the balcony row A with my daughter tonight. It’s the lack of leg room that I find hardest but have never had any real problems with the rail, nor any need to shift around. Perhaps it’s a height thing. My daughter and I are 5’3” and under. I will agree that row B is absolutely dreadful. Couldn’t see a thing and will definitely never sit there again under any circumstances but found row C manageable. Am looking forward to tonight and hoping for more emotional engagement than last night seems to have delivered. Hopefully the performance will have settled in after opening night. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I’m in the balcony row A with my daughter tonight. It’s the lack of leg room that I find hardest but have never had any real problems with the rail, nor any need to shift around. Perhaps it’s a height thing. My daughter and I are 5’3” and under. I will agree that row B is absolutely dreadful. Couldn’t see a thing and will definitely never sit there again under any circumstances but found row C manageable. Am looking forward to tonight and hoping for more emotional engagement than last night seems to have delivered. Hopefully the performance will have settled in after opening night. 

You've got me worried now.  I have no idea where we are sitting tonight, my niece booked, but I know it is upstairs somewhere.  As I haven't been to the Coli for ages, I couldn't give her any advice on seats.  

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Alina Cojocaru is one of the all time great Giselles absolutely wonderful defo in my top 5 ( I’ve been going a long time now!)

@LinMM  Curious to know who the others are in your top 5?