ENB Mary Skeaping Giselle January 2024

4 minutes ago, Silke H said:

I am going tonight.

I was wondering whether running time really is 2:15 hrs.  (I have a late call with our SF head-office and am wondering how late/quickly I'll be able to join it).

Yes, pretty much. Maybe allow an extra 5 mins for possible late start/curtain calls, but the performance length is accurate.

• Thanks 2

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Yes, pretty much. Maybe allow an extra 5 mins for possible late start/curtain calls, but the performance length is accurate.

Yes...I think it was about that or perhaps 5 minutes longer but the interval did seem to pass quickly.

As someone else mentioned, it's lovely to see ENB dancers get a proper curtain call, and also be given flowers onstage.  

• Thanks 1

Evdokimova Makarova Cojocaru Osipova Hayward 

Im sure there are other super Giselles of course but these 5 are associated with particular performances I attended which particularly stayed in the memory. 
Naturally I’ve not seen every single dancer who has ever danced the role in performance ……most regrettably Fonteyn ….whose pictures of her in the role plus the Chopin music to Les Sylphides inspired me to take up ballet all those years ago when I was seven!! 

• Like 5

Yes still catching up!! 
I imagine Cojocaru will be closest to Fonteyn in interpretation of the second Act as she had a very human quality too. 

Edited by LinMM

Obviously I haven't seen every Giselle, but if I had a top 5, Guillem would have to be in it.  I wasn't a fan of her in everything, but she was extraordinary in this.  And I would put Morera in my 5 as well.  One of the last performances I saw from her was in this ballet, and she was absolutely superb. 

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

Makarova’s “madness” was truly amazing still not seen anything like her since!! Evdokimova was so ethereal in the 2nd Act but a bit that way in real life too.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Evdokimova Makarova Cojocaru Osipova Hayward 

Im sure there are other super Giselles of course but these 5 are associated with particular performances I attended which particularly stayed in the memory. 
Naturally I’ve not seen every single dancer who has ever danced the role in performance ……most regrettably Fonteyn ….whose pictures of her in the role plus the Chopin music to Les Sylphides inspired me to take up ballet all those years ago when I was seven!! 

I did see Fonteyn’s Giselle (with Nureyev) in 1969 and will never forget it, especially the end of Act 1. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And he gets the name of ENB's AD wrong, twice. Just saying.

Ah yes, I hadn't noticed that.  Correct the first time, wrong the second two.  

Just popping in my late review of last night.

I was trepidatious with what I had been hearing about food in the Coliseum, but other than a few “what’s happening?” whispered comments from first timers around me, I had no issues. 

I too was unfortunately unmoved by last night’s performance. From a historical standpoint I was fascinated. It’s exceedingly romantic and like a Degas painting come to life, however while beautiful and quite novel, it felt quite restrained.

I felt overall that the cast was a little fatigued from Nutcracker and had a few opening night jitters. Katja Khaniukova is convincing as a very green and naïve Giselle in her acting, and in her romantic style. I noticed what I think was some sort of strain in her left foot (kudos to her for a quick improvisation to work around the hops in act one). However despite this she made it to the end of the ballet. I’m hopeful that she’ll be promoted soon.

Aitor Arrieta was sure-footed and charismatic, a very sweet Albrecht. I feel however that Khaniukova and Arrieta’s innocence didn’t translate into helpless tragedy in act two. The second act of this version feels much more supernatural and earthy than the Royal Ballet’s rank and file military willis, I am exceedingly impressed by the women of ENB with every viewing. Alison McWhinney is dramatically excellent as Myrtha, a devious role to return to after maternity leave. Minju Kang is a standout as Zulma, more from her please!

So overall; an interesting production and certainly important from a historical standpoint. However, it still feels that the dust is coming off it after coming out from storage.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

An interesting review from McCauley and while I agree that ENB can sometimes come across as 'clunky' as per the last paragraph, I remember thinking how slick their performances of Swan Lake were this time of year, simply bliss. We saw a repeat of this with their Balanchine at Sadlers' Wells at the beginning of the season  - which made me think that Watkin is working to really drive precision.  One of the reasons why I think the company may come across as 'clunky' is I think that they have been much more diverse in their recruitment in terms of 'look' than other companies, at least during Rojo's tenure and this can potentially lead to the corps de ballet looking a bit unbalanced sometimes (again, not in Swan Lake or Our Voices).

Having only seen the WSR, I cannot really comment, other than to say that it must be exhausting to go straight from Nutcracker to Giselle with little more than a 24 hour break.  Much more endurance is required from the corps de ballet in particular in act 2 - and they are having to deliver after running a marathon in terms of Nut.

Historically, the company hasn't 'nailed' the romantic style, particularly port de bras,  thinking specifically of the corps Sylphides in the last run of La Sylphide (which seems forever ago, but if Giselle was last in 2017, it must have been Jan 2018). I look forward to seeing how they shape up on Tuesday night.

Based on the WSR and noting that opening night was McWhinney's first official performance post maternity leave, I personally loved her  Myrtha. Severe and cold, but able to deliver on aforementioned port de bras and just beautiful to watch. 

I will reserve comment for Kanekova for opening night, but I remember enjoying her guesting with the Ukrainian Giselle a couple of autumns ago. I shall be watching her footwork as a result of McCauley's comments, but I shall also be looking at the quality of her acting in Act 1 in particular as this is an area where I often think ENB needs to shape up, in classical performances in particular.

Giselle should be in absolute thrall of Albrecht - demure, innocent, shy but adoring and a dreamer. Dramatically speaking, she should be more Tatiana (Onegin) than Lise (Fille). Conveying this in ballet should use the whole body and not simply the tilt of the head and use of the eyes.  In addition, we have to remember that Giselle isn't supposed to be physically robust, she has a weak heart and her mother worries - this needs to be carried across in the way that she holds herself - more Odette and nowhere near as confident as Odile, but softer still.  Aside from the peasant pas de deux (six), Act 1 relies purely on characterisation and drama and it's important that dancers playing Giselle can deliver.  

ENB has so much potential under Watkin and I look forward to seeing what his focus will be and whether any of these thoughts seem to have crossed his radar (as well as the desperate need for a new Nut).

• Like 9

Question to those who might know: is the choreography of Albrecht’s dance towards death a choice for the dancer and a chance to display his skills or was it dictated by Mary Skeaping? 

I’m used to seeing the entrechats six and Aitor Arrieta danced a different, albeit beautiful, sequence last night. I just wondered if it might be different at other performances? 

(btw the bells heralding the dawn and thus the breaking of the Willis’ enchantment were so soft last night that had I not been expecting them they would have passed unnoticed).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sim said:

Meanwhile, could someone kindly remind me whether the mime in this version is the same as that in the RB?  Especially, for example, Berthe's when she is warning Giselle about the Wilis?  I am taking a friend tonight who has never seen Giselle so if the mime is the same I would like to talk her through it.  Sadly my memory doesn't seem to go back as far as the last time ENB danced this production!!  

Only caught this today so too late to be of any use to you, Sim (I'd have said @Irmgardwould probably know better than anyone but am sure she is very very busy from yesterday to next Sunday!) I was going to say that I remembered them being quite similar, but wonder what you said to your friend? 😊 

31 minutes ago, Blossom said:

I will reserve comment for Kanekova for opening night, but I remember enjoying her guesting with the Ukrainian Giselle a couple of autumns ago. 

Too late to edit unfortunately at 28 minutes, @Bluebird kindly reminded me that Kanekova was scheduled but didn’t dance due to injury. 

21 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I see that ENB have now added a cast sheets page for Giselle to their website. I'm not sure why they're choosing to have a different page for each production rather than an ongoing cast sheets page like the ROH & BRB have, but anyway: https://www.ballet.org.uk/blog-detail/daily-performance-casting-mary-skeapings-giselle/

Thanks Dawnstar! Am very pleased to see expressive and compelling Stina Quagebeur back with then in a character role in between choreography duties, and talented Minju Kang as Zulme on first night. Hopefully they or one of them will be in the cast when I go! 

They've only gone & swapped almost all the lead cast for tonight. Yes, I know cast changes can happen at any time but after weeks of crossing my fingers for the scheduled cast I'm very disappointed to read this. Also if the dancers were already looking tired last night after their Nutcrackers then what are they going to be like tonight having to dance 2 nights in a row?

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

They've only gone & swapped almost the lead cast for tonight. Yes, I know cast changes can happen at any time but after weeks of crossing my fingers for the scheduled cast I'm very disappointed to read this. Also if the dancers were already looking tired last night after their Nutcrackers then what are they going to be like tonight having to dance 2 nights in a row?

Oof.  This is most disappointing.  I had really wanted to see the scheduled cast.  In fact, Angela Wood had already been a replacement of the originally scheduled Jung ah Choi.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sim said:

Yes, although he still manages to get in his usual dig at the Royal Ballet!  

Well, first, this may be his sincerely held opinion (rather than just bias) and, just possibly, he could also be objectively right in what he writes.

Not all that the RB does with the classics these days is as good as it could be. And if critics do not point out what they observe to be wrong, this risks contributing to standards slipping further. 

Then again he could just be prejudiced. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

They've only gone & swapped almost all the lead cast for tonight. Yes, I know cast changes can happen at any time but after weeks of crossing my fingers for the scheduled cast I'm very disappointed to read this. Also if the dancers were already looking tired last night after their Nutcrackers then what are they going to be like tonight having to dance 2 nights in a row?

So sorry Dawnstar as I know you were so looking forward and had feared this.

Comversely ,,,, I was within a hair's breadth of changing my tickets to go on Friday instead of last night, to see Frola, and at the last minute decided not to,  so ... glad I didn't. It just goes to show that booking for one cast is usually a great gamble, especially in the winter.

Now look forward to hearing if this pair create more sense of tragedy and move the audience tonight..

I am fascinated to find it was not just me but many more expert than  myself agreed it was not a really moving performance last night- and were better able than I was to explain in what ways, as I could not put my finger on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mary said:

So sorry Dawnstar as I know you were so looking forward and had feared this.

Comversely ,,,, I was within a hair's breadth of changing my tickets to go on Friday instead of last night, to see Frola, and at the last minute decided not to,  so ... glad I didn't. It just goes to show that booking for one cast is usually a great gamble, especially in the winter.

Now look forward to hearing if this pair create more sense of tragedy and move the audience tonight..

I am fascinated to find it was not just me but many more expert than  myself agreed it was not a really moving performance last night- and were better able than I was to explain in what ways, as I could not put my finger on it.

I'm now dithering over whether or not to go tonight. Usually I'd always go to performance I'd booked regardless of cast changes but I'm still really struggling with the anxiety I've been suffering from since having a panic attack at Don Q at the end of October. I was going to basically force myself to go to Giselle because I so want to see Frola as Albrecht. But now he's not on then I'm not sure it's worth putting myself through all the stress.

26 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Also if the dancers were already looking tired last night after their Nutcrackers then what are they going to be like tonight having to dance 2 nights in a row?

And the rehearsal too!

Well, Dawnstar if the trains are working,  which they seem to be that's a plus,  and  it is not a late show so coming back would not be so late as usual. I think it's worth seeing and it would be good to know what you think. You have seen a great deal more ballet than I have lately. Arrieta is a good Albrecht- 'tall, dark handsome', someone said! and a fine dancer too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm now dithering over whether or not to go tonight. Usually I'd always go to performance I'd booked regardless of cast changes but I'm still really struggling with the anxiety I've been suffering from since having a panic attack at Don Q at the end of October. I was going to basically force myself to go to Giselle because I so want to see Frola as Albrecht. But now he's not on then I'm not sure it's worth putting myself through all the stress.

I am debating the same and I don't even have the same train journey as you, @Dawnstar

I'm so sorry that you're having a tough time at the moment without those added disappointments.  Should you decide to come, let me know if you'd like to meet up.  I've got a seat in the Dress Circle

4 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I thought it was Oliveira & Frola who did the rehearsal, rather than Khaniukova & Arrieta?

I think Oliveira & Frôla did the stage call in the afternoon and Khaniukova & Arrieta did the dress rehearsal.

• Thanks 2

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear this.  I have booked to see this cast on Sunday specifically to see Frola, so I'm keeping everything crossed.  I am very sorry for those who wanted to see them tonight.  If they tell me that tonight's cast is going to do the Sunday matinee, I might decide to sell my tickets.  ENB's casts have been changing like the wind for the past few weeks.  I do hope things settle down there. 

A huge bravo to Katja and Aitor for dancing the leads two nights running!

• Like 2