Preconceptions Turned On Their Heads?

It's a rainy day in London Town, and following some comments on the Nutcracker thread, I have started thinking about times when the opposite of what I was expecting happened.  I would be really interested to hear from anyone who had preconceived ideas turned on their heads.  Were you expecting someone or something to be great and they weren't?  Were you expecting someone or something to be not so great but then they were?  

My starter for ten:

Thiago Soares as Rudolf.  I had never been a fan, so my expectations were low when I went in to the ROH the night of his debut.  Three hours later I had been knocked sideways by his interpretation and performance (he was the first Rudolf to make me cry).

Vadim Muntagirov as Rudolf.  I have loved Vadim since his ENB days, but mostly for his sweetness and beautiful classicism.  When he didn't dance Onegin because he was not deemed (by himself and/or others) to have what it takes or for it to be the right time, my heart sank when he was given Rudolf.  Once again, my prejudices were knocked into left field.  His performances were astounding, made even better by the wonderful performances by his two female leads, Yasmine and Fumi.  Unforgettable.

Matthew Ball as Tybalt.  Here it's not a question of me not expecting his performance to be excellent.  What I was not expecting was his totally different interpretation, and making me really think about this character much more.  I have always been used to Tybalt being portrayed as a much older man than the others, but actually as Juliet's cousin he can't have been much older.  Ball portrayed him as a spoiled, entitled young boy in both the film and onstage, and I have never seen anything like it.  Again, my notions about Tybalt were changed.

Marianela Nunez as Juliet.  I have long admired her beautiful dancing and technical skills, but dramatically she doesn't usually instil any emotions in me.  The first time I saw her Juliet it did nothing for me at all.  So I didn't go again.  Then, during the most recent run of the ballet, someone told me that Nela's Juliet was amazing.  I was a bit sceptical but off I went and my goodness, what a change.  She had been coached by Alessandra Ferri, and she seemed to find a depth of interpretation from within herself that I had never felt from her before.  It was moving, believable and utterly heartbreaking.   

Woolf Works.  Not being a massive McGregor fan, I assumed that my reaction to this ballet on opening night and thereafter would be a big fat 'meh'.  Boy was I wrong.  I loved it in all its quirkiness and emotion.  Three completely different acts that somehow still gel together to make the whole.  I loved it then and I love it still and can't imagine that it will date like Chroma has (for me).   

Finally....Cinderella.  As mentioned on another thread, I have never liked the ballet much, nor the music.  As a result of not seeing it very often over the years I wasn't in a position to analyse it too much, nor compare it to previous productions (I will never forget Miyako Yoshida in her farewell performance in the role, and Alina Cojocaru's performances).  So when the RB's new production opened last season, I was still expecting to dislike it.  Once again, my prejudices were blown away.  I loved the sets, I ended up loving the music by the end of the run, I saw some wonderful performances in the lead roles (including some amazing stepsisters!) and I didn't dislike the costumes as much as others seemed to.  There are still weaknesses in the narrative and thus the choreography (for example, a bit too much sister action, especially in Act 1), but much to my surprise I am really looking forward to seeing it again.

I'm sure I will think of more examples, but these are the ones that occur to me immediately.  Meanwhile, over to you....

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Sim said:

When he didn't dance Onegin because he was not deemed to have what it takes, my heart sank when he was given Rudolf. 

A point of clarification. The official version of the Onegin episode, the one I got from the box office when I asked at the time, was that he withdrew voluntarily.  Something about not being ready or not the right time. In the LBC talk he gave a bit later, I don't recall that he addressed it, apart from an apology (not of course that he was obligated to)

5 minutes ago, oncnp said:

A point of clarification. The official version of the Onegin episode, the one I got from the box office when I asked at the time, was that he withdrew voluntarily.  Something about not being ready or not the right time. In the LBC talk he gave a bit later, I don't recall that he addressed it, apart from an apology (not of course that he was obligated to)

I heard differently, but that's all I will say.  I have amended the sentence slightly.  

4 minutes ago, Sim said:

I heard differently, but that's all I will say.

That's why I referred to it as the "official" version. 

And completely agree about Ball/Tybalt. What a fantastic performance. 

Edited by oncnp

Yamine Naghdi as Lescaut's Mistress totally  stealing the show (you couldn't take your eyes off her) portraying a completely different type of character after her sweet and girly Juliet, Olga and Aurora! I think Yasmine should be given more feisty characters like that. 👍 

Reece Clarke blowing us away as a completely haughty, aloof, alpha male Onegin after portraying many good guy, modest Cavaliers, Florimunds etc. If anyone was worried that he might be overshadowed by a big star like Osipova as his Tatiana, there was absolutely none of that. Also, an incredible performance (one of the best ever) of that demanding Act 1 solo with the tricky turns (rock solid!) and timing of the jumps (so high!)....wowzer! I still think he should have been promoted to principal immediately after his Onegins (I think many directors would have done it like that) but never mind, it was done eventually.  😊

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I still think he should have been promoted to principal immediately after his Onegins (I think many directors would have done it like that) but never mind, it was done eventually.  😊

He was only promoted to First Soloist right before Onegin 

9 minutes ago, capybara said:

The whole of the second cast of Like Water for Chocolate (especially Naghdi, Corrales and Kaneko) completely transforming the ballet from a meh to a ‘knock out’ YAY.

Yes yes yes.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, oncnp said:

He was only promoted to First Soloist right before Onegin 

Yes, that's probably why it took longer. But there have been major companies, including the Paris Opera, ENB, etc where the director jumped ranks (eg skipped out First Soloist altogether) or promoted someone to principal very soon after they'd just been promoted already, where the reaction of audiences and artistic staff indicated "The time is right to do it" and it made positive headlines. Still, he's been promoted, so no worries.  But that was definitely a thunderbolt of a debut and run, and Natalia concurs- he's now her regular partner, including on guest engagements. 

1 hour ago, alison said:

The last rank-skipping to principal I recall was Ivan Putrov. I don't think it benefited him, or anyone else ☹️

Ouch, @alison

IIRC things were going well until Ivan incurred his ACL injury. I, for one, loved him as a performer - as Des Grieux; Prodigal Son; Lensky; Beliaev; Pierrot Lunaire, and in Rhapsody.

• Like 3

Meaghan Grace Hinkis’ Kitri blew me away.  I hadn’t been expecting such steeliness, characterisation and sheer confidence in her debut full length.  Wonderful.  I had been disappointed that she replaced Akane Takada (injured) and had been thinking to switch performances.  I’m so glad I stuck with it.

Vadim Muntagirov in Month in the Country.  An endearing performance of bewilderment revealing the character’s innocence. I had not expected these dimensions and emotions.  

• Like 8

Loved Muntagirov in Month in the Country ….the first time for me he revealed that he might have the makings of a fine actor too. 
Also really loved Ball as Tybalt as he made this character really interesting a little extra dimension to the Ballet. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Sim said:

Matthew Ball as Tybalt.

Always reminds me of Michael York in the Zeffirelli film: another different performance. That film btw has several individual performances of greatness, most especially John McEnery as Mercutio.

In 2017 when I first saw Mayerling live, until @Bluebird came to my rescue I didn't have a ticket for Edward Watson. I didn't want one for Steven McRae (and having seen the cinema relay later I haven't changed my mind).

What I had before arriving in London was a ticket to see Federico Bonelli. WOW so different from what I had expected and assumed. So good!

I rushed round to the box office at interval and bought a ticket for that evening's performance, with Thiago Soares. ComPLETEly different from Bonelli, but again WOW.

Altogether a great Saturday!!

Edited by Sophoife
Added Mayerling comments
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Yamine Naghdi as Lescaut's Mistress totally  stealing the show (you couldn't take your eyes off her) portraying a completely different type of character after her sweet and girly Juliet, Olga and Aurora! I think Yasmine should be given more feisty characters like that. 👍 

Reece Clarke blowing us away as a completely haughty, aloof, alpha male Onegin after portraying many good guy, modest Cavaliers, Florimunds etc. If anyone was worried that he might be overshadowed by a big star like Osipova as his Tatiana, there was absolutely none of that. Also, an incredible performance (one of the best ever) of that demanding Act 1 solo with the tricky turns (rock solid!) and timing of the jumps (so high!)....wowzer! I still think he should have been promoted to principal immediately after his Onegins (I think many directors would have done it like that) but never mind, it was done eventually.  😊

I was knocked out by his amazing debut in Symphonic Variations 

• Like 2

For me, primarily I would say it  was Mayerling. I had seen various clips  online and thought, meh! This is very dour and depressing and not for me! I went to the General Rehearsal as I thought, well, why not? Keep an open mind and it’s not like you’re paying a fortune for tickets.  How wrong was I? I loved it! This is why it’s good to keep an open mind.

Also, Don Q. I liked it and thought it was fun but had never seen it ‘live’. I went to the rehearsal (I totally fell in love with Yasmine Naghdi’s Kitri, which was absolutely stunning!) and was hooked!  I could never have imagined I would end up loving it as much as I did - or seeing so many different casts - a first for me. Budget be damned! 🤣 

Cinderella too. I’d only seen clips and then saw the live relay and though I loved the performances of the principals, other bits I wasn’t sure of. I saw it live and was swept away with the magic! I loved it and would go and see as many casts as possible (budget permitting!!) next time. 

• Like 7

Two opposite recent experiences. 

When I first went to see Akram Khans Giselle down in Southampton  I was a bit apprehensive at first (even though had seen a masterclass at ENB on the Queen of the Wilis role (so knew was going to be totally different) but I was completely captivated by this new version a very different take on the story…… I was happy for the two versions to stand side by side as would always want to see both. 

So when Creature came into production I was really looking forward to seeing this. However I hated it and can’t see me ever going again even though some of the dancing is really good the set and music combined are just too claustrophobic and painful for me. 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not a preconception as such, but Matthew Ball's Espada in Don Quixote was spectacular! That and his Tybalt. He's a really good dance actor (in the same way that I thought of Lynn Seymour as a dance actor)- someone who fuses the interpretation of the character and the  story with dancing, so that you don't feel "now the acting finishes and he/she is going to get ready and start the pas de deux/solo". 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, LinMM said:

Two opposite recent experiences. 

When I first went to see Akram Khans Giselle down in Southampton  I was a bit apprehensive at first (even though had seen a masterclass at ENB on the Queen of the Wilis role (so knew was going to be totally different) but I was completely captivated by this new version a very different take on the story…… I was happy for the two versions to stand side by side as would always want to see both. 

So when Creature came into production I was really looking forward to seeing this. However I hated it and can’t see me ever going again even though some of the dancing is really good the set and music combined are just too claustrophobic and painful for me. 

Interesting, I saw them the other way around.  I saw Creature first and really didn't like it.  I thought the music was awful and there was zero chemistry between the protagonists (none of this being the fault of the performers).  I really wasn't sure if I wanted to see his Giselle and was very apprehensive but I am glad I did because I think it works a lot better as a piece (the music helps).  So I was glad I gave Akram Khan a second chance and it definitely was something I'd enjoy again as long as you don't expect it to be a traditional Giselle.  

The other thing that defied my preconceptions was Ballet Black in Pioneers.  I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it as someone who loves Nina Simone's music but wasn't sure it was very danceable.  I was absolutely blown away by Mthuthuzeli November's choreography and the dancing worked far better than I expected.  Isabelle Couracy was amazing.  I think it was one of the best things I've seen all year.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/12/2023 at 06:59, FionaM said:

Meaghan Grace Hinkis’ Kitri blew me away.  I hadn’t been expecting such steeliness, characterisation and sheer confidence in her debut full length.  Wonderful.  I had been disappointed that she replaced Akane Takada (injured) and had been thinking to switch performances.  I’m so glad I stuck with it.

Same, I’m so glad I saw her and Luca. Brilliant performance.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I’ve never forgiven David Drew for his role as the Gaoler in Manon lol!! 
So guess he must have been pretty good!! 

Yes, I remember him in that role too. A thoroughly , nasty piece of work - I mean that in the nicest way . His acting was superb. Callous and chilling. 

• Like 3

Yes, I saw his short-notice debut, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Talking of Rudolfs, I seem to remember a lot of people, in the early-mid 2000s, doubting Ed Watson's ability to perform the role ... :)  As it turned out, I was more surprised at Sarah Lamb's Marie Larisch, because it was so different from the roles I'd seen her in previously, and I hadn't envisaged her in it at all.

While we're on the subject of MacMillan 3-acters, that brings me nicely to the reason I was originally going to post on this thread.  I have a feeling that I may even have said, on the forerunner to this forum, that I thought Des Grieux was such a boring character I didn't think even Watson could make him interesting ... WRONG!!

There will doubtless be lots more wrong preconceptions once I have a chance to think about them some more ...  Like being guilty, like many others, of underestimating Muntagirov as Rudolf, for a start.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Jane S said:

Another Rudolf: Jonathan Cope - not one of the greats, but way beyond what I'd thought he could do.

I haven't seen the ballet enough times to know who the greats are, but I was really impressed with his performance in this.  He was dancing with Rojo, and together they seemed to gel dramatically.  I found myself wishing he could have been paired with her more often, rather than his usual partners of Guillem and Bussell.  

I agree about the last run of Cinderella.  Prior to that, for some reason it never really seemed to do it for me; I didn't find the music that appealing.  This time, I really enjoyed it, and wondered why I hadn't liked it before.  I would be very happy indeed to see it again.

I was really impressed by McRae when I saw him as Oberon in The Dream.  I'd always thought him an excellent technician, but I never really warmed to him, preferring others.  I thought he was wonderful in this, both in terms of his dancing and his acting.  So wonderfully haughty.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, alison said:

As it turned out, I was more surprised at Sarah Lamb's Marie Larisch, because it was so different from the roles I'd seen her in previously, and I hadn't envisaged her in it at all.

I find Sarah surprising in many ways. In my case, it was her superb comedic qualities in The Concert. I had not expected this. 

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

I agree about the last run of Cinderella.  Prior to that, for some reason it never really seemed to do it for me; I didn't find the music that appealing.  This time, I really enjoyed it, and wondered why I hadn't liked it before.

Can I put my hand up to join this particular club. Never liked the music, not particularly keen on the ballet but, wow, I loved it on every level this time round. 

• Like 4

Marcelino Sambé as Rudolf delivered something I would not have anticipated in terms of a moving characterisation aligned to technical virtuosity and partnering strength, no doubt encouraged by being with Sarah Lamb, in what I have always thought her best role as Larisch, and Francesca Hayward, who seemed ideally suited to Vetsera.

• Like 4