Royal Ballet Spring 2024

I don't know if this is a new development or not, but I've only just spotted this on the ROH website, which means that the only Magri/Corrales date on sale to the public when booking opens will be 7th March:

21 MARCH 2024

THURSDAY, 7.30PM
AVAILABLE TO YOUNG ROH MEMBERS AND INVITED AUDIENCE ONLY
MAIN STAGE

GUIDANCE: Content suitable for all. We cannot admit children under the age of 5.

SHOW ALL
Conducted by Jonathan Lo
CAST
Mayara Magri, Cesar Corrales

Not available

Edited by PeterS
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Not that new a development.  It was certainly that way when I booked.

Thanks. 21st March was one on the performances I’d decided to attend when performances were listed so the change probably happened between then and sales opening to you. I  hadn’t checked back until today. Good to know though so that I can manage my expectations. 

On 04/12/2023 at 23:18, MJW said:

I thought Von Rothbart and Benno castings were announced, but perhaps not.

Only for BRB, not for RB (admittedly it's difficult to keep up, with at least one of the big three- RB, BRB, ENB- doing Swan Lake every season nowadays). That said, RB should really announce Benno castings as minute for minute, he actually gets more classical dancing than Siegfried does in the current RB production. (Siegfried has partnering and dramatic acting in Act 4, but Benno gets one adagio and one coda more than Siegfried in Act 1, and has a pas de trois with solo and coda in Act 3 as well.) Yes, I  agree RB ought to announce Rothbart & Benno too. They could always do "TBC" for some dates that they're unsure of. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just had a quick scan only £175 for March 7th 

But out of interest I could see a range of prices from £14 upwards for April 27th matinee ( that I can’t go to anyway) and went in just to see an illusive standing ticket for sale!! One left! 

In a slightly weird move, the ROH has released whole blocks of tickets for many of the Spring SL dates.

Given the grouping and number, it looks like these were held back from general sale. I include below a screenshot showing what I mean. In case anyone is still looking for tickets!

image.thumb.png.60a346ecedd7f8d8f7ebfe0fbee1f175.png

• Like 1

At least some of these look like unsold access seats. Some stalls seats are reserved for people who are partially sighted who need to be close up (met someone who uses these seats recently)

3 minutes ago, alison said:

The balcony ones are the wheelchair spaces - which is odd, because I thought I'd already splashed out on a row C for one of the performances.

The new additions are for April, previous ones were for March

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Suffolkgal said:

Wowsers … 40% off offer for two of the MacMillan performances. I still

can‘t make it. Not sure why I’ve received this except I do subscribe to the stream … I’m not a Friend of any sort 

54 minutes ago, Silke H said:

@Suffolkgal - where is this offer, please?  an email from ROH or something in some other app?

am also interested in locating this offer…. Thanks 

It came to me on email I was surprised! I can share it here perhaps or directly with people?  It may only work with my log in but there is no harm trying? It doesn’t say just for the recipient… it’s for 22 and 27 March which are different casts. Mods let me know 

43 minutes ago, Suffolkgal said:

It came to me on email I was surprised! I can share it here perhaps or directly with people?  It may only work with my log in but there is no harm trying? It doesn’t say just for the recipient… it’s for 22 and 27 March which are different casts. Mods let me know 

Please do not share publicly on the Forum.

Looking again at the pricing for the MacMillan triple (without any offers as the ROH never send me any) I'm rather baffled by some of the relative pricing. Top price is £30 lower than for Manon, second price £16 lower but third price, the lowest in the stalls, is only £3 lower than for Manon. Among the mid-prices, the cheapest advance-sale seats in the stalls circle are £39 so £10 cheaper than for Manon but the next price point at £50 is £29 cheaper than some of the same seats were for Manon. I cannot understand how the RB calculate their prices. I would have expected them to set a top price for each programme then work down with each price being a percentage of the top price but that is very clearly not the case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ROH seem to have the most crazy pricing policies…. It really puts me off from booking other than for something I consider an absolute must for me (like recent chance to see Bolle/Nunez in Manon). 
I also think my recent email offering me 40% off is insulting to those already booked. And how odd how they choose to make these offers… I normally have ‘cheap seat’ tickets to ballets…& go pretty regularly. But never get the emails with discounts I hear of for upcoming events. Yet the one time I book & pay top dollar prices for seats, I then get the email offering big discounts for next shows (MacMillan). Isn’t this a big nuts? I’d prefer to see discounts offered to all - nit just to people who have clearly got funds to buy top price seats. Yes, for me it was a one off so discounts great. But I suspect that mostly people sat in top price seats for one ballet can likely afford to price for the next. So if you are discounting - offer it to all regulars. But frankly, programme selection/casting choices/sensible pricing structures from the get-go should negate any need to discount. Get your act together KOH & ROH!

• Like 3

Would you rather, having only ever paid bottom-sort-of prices, that they offered you 40% off (only) the top two prices, then?  I'd feel my nose was being a bit rubbed in it that way :) .  I guess you've triggered some algorithm along the lines of "well, she's bought an expensive ticket once, so let's try again".

• Like 2

So the offer is 40% off the £110 and £104 tickets? In which case I wish the ROH had sent it to me as that would bring the prices down to around £63-66 and I would consider paying that for an unrestricted view stalls seat given I'm already paying £39 for a restricted view stalls circle bench one.

• Like 4

AusBallet does this too. Subscribers buy in September/October for the whole of the following year, and then a day or so before a season starts, or even in the middle of one, suddenly they'll offer through their socials $99 tickets in A and B reserves, which is a saving of up to $150 per ticket. Slap in the face to the regulars much? Complaints have been made and zero effs apparently given.

• Like 1

They didn't send me any offer and I haven't booked 22nd yet- I could have helped them out but unlikely to now. The company have not had the courtesy to inform me of the cast change on the date that I booked either. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

So the offer is 40% off the £110 and £104 tickets? In which case I wish the ROH had sent it to me as that would bring the prices down to around £63-66 and I would consider paying that for an unrestricted view stalls seat given I'm already paying £39 for a restricted view stalls circle bench one.

I quite agree - I’m an ordinary friend and I didn’t get the discount offer.

• Like 2

I was given a gift voucher for Xmas which I put towards the cost of a stalls seat as a special treat.  I ended up having to swap performances when casting was announced and now wish I hadn’t bothered booking yet - though I never get discount emails, so it’s probably a moot point.  It does rather stick in the craw to known I’ll be sitting with people who’ve paid nearly half the cost of my ticket though - it’s not like stalls seats are easy for me to afford.  I wonder if it’s worth holding my nerve with the Ashton triples?

• Like 1

I'd like to know how the ROH decides who gets these discount emails. I've been booking with them for only a few months short of 20 years yet never seem to get any. I did buy some stalls tickets a few seasons ago, when prices were lower & package booking still existed, so it's not as if they can look at my ticket purchase history & say "Oh, she's never sat in the stalls so she won't be interested". Given how much prices have gone up for the classics in the last couple of seasons, I'm often having to pay £60+ for a stalls circle bench seat so why do they not think that I might consider paying £60+ for a stalls seat if I was given the opportunity? It's pretty annoying.

• Like 6

As a side light for this strand - (due to one personage) - it is interesting to note that Tamara Rojo is bringing in guests to SFB (much as she so often and spectacularly did with ENB)  Her taste in guests was always good in my experience.

Those joining the fine SFB principals during the run of Swan Lake include -  Natalia Osipova (Roya Ballet) - and thus the reason for this listing, Daniel Camargo (ABT), and Jacopo Tissi (Dutch National Ballet).  Mr. Tissi will dance it is said with Ms. Smirnova at the Ballet Icons gala in London on 17th March.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OnePigeon said:

It does rather stick in the craw to known I’ll be sitting with people who’ve paid nearly half the cost of my ticket though - it’s not like stalls seats are easy for me to afford. 

I wholeheartedly agree.  Moreover I should think it is far MORE than just those immediately hit in their pocket book like your good self, @OnePigeon.  It is the principle of the matter and, as such, it will I fear populate a general disrepute on behalf of the ROH for arts lovers both in the UK and internationally.  (Do they really think people don't speak to each other or communicate generally?)  These matters have a tendency ultimately to speak for themselves.  Sadly by that point much damage will have already been done and certainly ill will fostered.  It will take even longer I'm know to build back trust - if they can - from these parties.  It is a different world it seems.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3