Royal Ballet Spring 2024

On 02/03/2024 at 17:59, Emeralds said:

It is indeed baffling how ROH marketing department consistently emails discounts to the wrong people though. It's like someone has searched through our buying history, analysed the choreographers/composers and cast, and picked the shows we would NOT want. 

Reading through recent years of negative Forum comments about ROH departments suggests that the two areas in greatest need of improvement are marketing and the website/online bookings. Given recent improvements in the functioning of the website (I hope I am not speaking too soon) is it too much to hope that senior management will now at last get round to bringing ROH marketing up to a professional standard? 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/03/2024 at 17:59, Emeralds said:

It is indeed baffling how ROH marketing department consistently emails discounts to the wrong people though. It's like someone has searched through our buying history, analysed the choreographers/composers and cast, and picked the shows we would NOT want. 

wouldn't that be the idea though - to entice you to go see something you normally wouldn't (especially if it isn't selling that well)? They would assume you'd already bought tickets for what you DO want to see...

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

wouldn't that be the idea though - to entice you to go see something you normally wouldn't (especially if it isn't selling that well)? They would assume you'd already bought tickets for what you DO want to see...

But it might also entice people who have already booked to book a second performance...  (I know ... I did that with another company some years ago!)

(Although possible not ... I saw Different Drummer once and I never want to see it again so I'm not even going to the cinema.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

Well, that would be good if they sent me/us ALL offers instead of just stuff I hadn't booked. Also, how do they know I don't want to go to a different date with a different cast? I haven't booked both dates that they're offering discounts on. They must know there are repeat viewers- otherwise, why would they expect us to buy tickets for Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet if we've already seen them the last time round? 

To use a supermarket comparison, imagine how you'd feel if you walked into a supermarket with a colleague and found signs on items you've bought before eg your favourite main courses or drinks with signs saying "40% off for some customers but not @zxDaveM" and signs over food/drink products you absolutely loathe saying "40% off for @zxDaveM" while your colleague got offered 40% off the stuff you like.

We'd be livid if that happened to us of course, and would probably give that place a wide berth and go away and spend our money somewhere else. Oh wait..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Well, that would be good if they sent me/us ALL offers instead of just stuff I hadn't booked. Also, how do they know I don't want to go to a different date with a different cast? I haven't booked both dates that they're offering discounts on. They must know there are repeat viewers- otherwise, why would they expect us to buy tickets for Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet if we've already seen them the last time round? 

To use a supermarket comparison, imagine how you'd feel if you walked into a supermarket with a colleague and found signs on items you've bought before eg your favourite main courses or drinks with signs saying "40% off for some customers but not @zxDaveM" and signs over food/drink products you absolutely loathe saying "40% off for @zxDaveM" while your colleague got offered 40% off the stuff you like.

We'd be livid if that happened to us of course, and would probably give that place a wide berth and go away and spend our money somewhere else. Oh wait..... 

If you are unable to understand why an organisation might use a targeted offer campaign then I really feel sorry for you.

Your supermarket analogy only confirms that organisations do use such things.  I get Nectar price offers from Sainsbury’s that are specifically targeted at me based on my shopping habits, sometimes on things I want to buy, sometimes on things I don’t usually buy but might (they hope) be tempted to.  

It is very clear that you are unhappy that you did not receive a targeted offer from the ROH.  I didn’t receive it either but I am not unhappy about the situation because I understand what they are doing. However, your multiple posts on the topic are, IMO, getting very close to spamming the board so I would ask that you stop now (and I know others would agree with me making this request).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

If you are unable to understand why an organisation might use a targeted offer campaign then I really feel sorry for you.

Your supermarket analogy only confirms that organisations do use such things.  I get Nectar price offers from Sainsbury’s that are specifically targeted at me based on my shopping habits, sometimes on things I want to buy, sometimes on things I don’t usually buy but might (they hope) be tempted to.  

It is very clear that you are unhappy that you did not receive a targeted offer from the ROH.  I didn’t receive it either but I am not unhappy about the situation because I understand what they are doing. However, your multiple posts on the topic are, IMO, getting very close to spamming the board so I would ask that you stop now (and I know others would agree with me making this request).

I'm not unhappy at all @bangorballetboy- am quite happy with what I picked and the prices I've paid are cheaper thah the offer. Just replying to what others have replied in quotes to me but it's true it's getting too repetitive and I'm actually a bit fed up of the topic; if  members quote me, just to say am not ignoring you but my answers will probably be already in previous replies. 

• Like 2

On 05/03/2024 at 11:04, bangorballetboy said:

I am sorry but what Emeralds has said is not spamming at all. Regardless of where else it has been posted, it is relevant for a discussion of ROH's marketing prowess. Not only is your tone condescending("If you are unable to understand why an organisation might use a targeted offer campaign then I really feel sorry for you.") but by trying to suggest its spam, as a moderator of the forum, this comes off as threatening to me.

ROH's use of targeted offers is fine, but to not include your core supporters, the ones who keep on subscribing and keep on coming, is insulting and is a terrible way to build your membership base. If they were smart they would use the occasional discount offer as a selling point of membership rather than offend members who might have paid full price. All of which falls under marketing.

Admittedly their failing aren't limited to this - by not having thought of a way to imaginatively demonstrate what the ballets (MacMillan Triple) are and what customers would be buying, they have undoubtedly caused their own failure to shift tickets. They didn't even tie any of their names to it until late in the day and haven't used them to market the ballet at all either - constantly spamming me and others with 'Casting Announced' on social media does not make a sold marketing campaign. How about using some interviews with principals on the ballets instead, clips on their roles, what it means to them, what the challenges are, why its interesting, what the ballets mean within the context of ballet history, why people should come... 

• Like 14

I agree the tone was arrogant, impatient and threatening. That “I know other people who…” not nice and not necessary. But sadly them wot should know better often don’t..

• Like 7

The marketing department at ROH is relatively underfunded. Like a lot of organisations their focus ( for good or bad) will largely be on attracting new ( and younger audiences), plus taking into account requirements from various funding streams. 

Appreciate lots of people ( possibly correctly!) think the marketing they do isn’t great, but it isn’t done without thought ( for example using rehearsal photos will have been done to appeal to a certain demographic). 

This doesn’t of course mean they can’t be criticised for the approach they take - but it is a deliberate approach. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TSR101 said:

ROH's use of targeted offers is fine, but to not include your core supporters, the ones who keep on subscribing and keep on coming, is insulting and is a terrible way to build your membership base. If they were smart they would use the occasional discount offer as a selling point of membership rather than offend members who might have paid full price. All of which falls under marketing.

This

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

The marketing department at ROH is relatively underfunded.

Speaking as a professional in this space, budget is only one constraint among many. More money might mean employing more people (who might trip over each other and/or duplicate poor practices) or it might mean employing more expensive people (also not a guarantee, for example I have some sense of the considerable budget allocated to the new website and we all know how that worked out).

In general arts organisations and other non profits can tend to arrogance and ideology mixed with less than stellar technical competence. We hope ROH (having suffered from some shockingly dim decisions in the recent past of this department) is giving serious consideration on how to do better. 

• Like 6

Marketing and supermarkets and ballet. 

Waitrose loyalty cardholders (there's posh) were emailed a competition before Christmas to win Nutcracker tickets, alongside, I recall, a hotel stay and other delights.

Currently there are tickets with champagne up for grabs if you're lucky. Swan Lake.  Enter before next week for your chance to win. Closes 12th March. 

Even if you don't shop at Waitrose it's possibly worth getting a free loyalty card if this marketing continues.  (Bargain buys after six, that's me. I'm the one elbowing you out of the way for the food with stickers.) 

WIN VIP TICKETS TO SWAN LAKE AT THE ROYAL OPERA HOUSE May 11th 

Win tickets to see The Royal Ballet perform this classic ballet, including champagne and a programme, plus 1 year’s free subscription to Royal Opera House Stream, so you can watch the shows at home.

Five pairs of tickets to be won.

Swan Lake.jpg

• Like 4

There are two performances that day so presumably the evening one? 
Thats Hayward and Bracewell. 
The afternoon is Sasaki and Sissens 

Should add my partner kindly entered this for me yesterday though he probably won’t go himself so a treat for a friend ….if get lucky!! 

Edited by LinMM

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

There are two performances that day so presumably the evening one? 
Thats Hayward and Bracewell. 
The afternoon is Sasaki and Sissens 

I went back to read the small print. It says:-

THE PRIZE

The prize is a VIP experience for a winner and their guest at Swan Lake with the Royal Opera House, and a year’s subscription to Royal Opera House Stream. 

There are 5 prizes available to be won. The prize is provided by the Royal Opera House. Prize for winner plus guest includes: 

Two tickets (within the top three price bands) for the Saturday 11th May 2024 performance of Swan Lake at the Royal Opera House, commencing at 7pm.

A year’s online subscription to Royal Opera House Stream (worth £99.99). 

Two glasses of champagne to be enjoyed at the Swan Lake performance, as well as a show programme.

If the prize winner is unable to attend the Swan Lake performance on 11th May, the prize shall be fully redeemable against two tickets to an opera or ballet performed at the Royal Opera House until 31st December 2024, strictly subject to availability at the time of the prize redemption

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Roberta said:

(Bargain buys after six, that's me. I'm the one elbowing you out of the way for the food with stickers.) 

WIN VIP TICKETS TO SWAN LAKE AT THE ROYAL OPERA HOUSE May 11th 

Win tickets to see The Royal Ballet perform this classic ballet, including champagne and a programme, plus 1 year’s free subscription to Royal Opera House Stream, so you can watch the shows at home.

Five pairs of tickets to be won.

Obviously a different branch from the ones near me - bargain buys must be much later in the evening at those, because the reduced prices are still pretty exorbitant at 6!

If memory serves me, the Nutcracker competition included a hotel stay in conjunction with a nearby hotel, but I think there was only one prize available that time.  Obviously I didn't win it :(

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, alison said:

If memory serves me, the Nutcracker competition included a hotel stay in conjunction with a nearby hotel, but I think there was only one prize available that time.

Yes it was this, I hope the winner enjoyed it!  

WIN A TRIP FOR TWO TO THE NUTCRACKER

Enter for your chance to win a VIP experience for two at the Royal Opera House. Includes a behind-the-scenes tour of the Royal Opera House, pre-theatre dinner for two at Piazza, a Two Together Railcard and a two-night stay at luxury hotel NoMad London.†

It's all good marketing isn't it? I wonder how many people are on the Waitrose mailing list.