Royal Ballet Spring 2024

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I think/hope that this may well be in response to the very poor sales in particular sections (especially) for recent programmes. e.g. front/side Amphi and side orchestra stalls were very obviously not selling at the higher prices. (Though I haven't checked the SL prices for side orchestra stalls, and I wouldn't know how they compared to previous prices anyway.) I hope that the persuasive info sent to Alex Beard by @JohnS has actually been absorbed too, so many thanks to him for all his work/analysis.

The lowest priced side orchestra stalls, the pairs along the outside edges, were £115 in 2020, £123 in 2022 and will be £159 in 2024. So if they weren't selling before I cannot imagine that the latest price will encourage sales one bit!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

The lowest priced side orchestra stalls, the pairs along the outside edges, were £115 in 2020, £123 in 2022 and will be £159 in 2024. So if they weren't selling before I cannot imagine that the latest price will encourage sales one bit!

Gosh! But from what I saw, the whole side sections were not selling, not just the outside edges.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Now the seat maps are published, I’ll take a good look at Spring prices and post some thoughts. I’m hoping there’ll be further evidence of lessons learned.

Not at first glance.....

46 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Gosh! But from what I saw, the whole side sections were not selling, not just the outside edges.

I've only ever bought the cheapest stalls seats (with the help of package booking) so I can't say how the prices of the other stalls seats have risen - but I bet they have!

Goodness me - Spring prices are a curate’s egg. Here’s a summary table:

Production

Top Price

Balcony Central Block Restricted (eg A33)

Stalls Circle Sides Bench Seats (eg B26)

Amphitheatre Sides (Row E)

Slips (max)

Standing (max)

Opera

Dutchman/Lucia

£210

£128

£93 £75

£93 £75 £47

£47

£23

%age of top price

61%

44% to  36%

44% to 22%

22%

11%

Butterfly/ Carmen

£245

£132

£97 £78

£97 £78 £49

£49

£25

%age of top price

54%

40% to 32%

40% to 20%

20%

10%

Ballet

Triple Bill

£110

£67

£50

£50 £39 £29 £22 £16

£16

£9

%age of top price

61%

45%

45% to 15%

15%

8%

Swan Lake

£175

£118

£118

£96 £75 £55 £35

£23

£14

%age of top price

67%

67%

55% to 20%

13%

8%

The good news for ballet - undoubtedly the inclusion of more price categories for front Amphitheatre Sides where a small number of seats are much more reasonably priced. This is very welcome and I’d like to think shows the ROH responding to concerns expressed by a number of people. 

Standing places are also reasonably priced - I thought there’d be pressure to increase standing place prices for Swan Lake but they are kept at £14.

But there’s some very poor news regarding Stalls Circle bench seats, particularly for Swan Lake. Charging £118 for any bench seat is utterly wrong. This is the same price as the Balcony restricted view seats in the central block - excellent, comfy seats with a modestly restricted view, and fabulous sound. For the opera the maximum price for a Stalls Circle bench seat in the Spring is £97. And for opera there are two price categories for bench seats. For ballet there’s only one price category so all bench seats for Swan Lake are £118 - quite appalling. When Winter prices were announced and there were two price categories for the Manon bench seats, both below the Balcony restricted view price, I was hoping that the ROH had taken on board just how poor these seats are relative to the Balcony restricted view sears. But it seems that lesson has not yet been learned. At least the Triple Bill bench seats are less than the Balcony restricted view seats but there’s still just the one price category - £50 for all bench seats when ideally the ones nearest the stage would be a lower price category.

The Triple Bill prices, similar to Anemoi/The Cellist, I think look reasonable but underscore just how expensive the current double bill is and the difficulties experienced in selling tickets at full price.

There seems to be more stability about prices for opera than the ever changing patterns we see for ballet. I don’t know why there’s been such flux for ballet prices. With three lots of prices now published for 2023-24, I’d have thought ‘experimental pricing’ patterns should have stabilised. But I’m afraid it’s back to making the case for more reasonable pricing for the Stalls Circle bench seats … and ensuring that the better news for front Amphitheatre Sides seats doesn’t prove to be a ‘one off’.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Standing places are also reasonably priced - I thought there’d be pressure to increase standing place prices for Swan Lake but they are kept at £14.

Depends on your definition of "kept", I suppose.  It's still a £3 increase on last year's prices.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

But I’m afraid it’s back to making the case for more reasonable pricing for the Stalls Circle bench seats … and ensuring that the better news for front Amphitheatre Sides seats doesn’t prove to be a ‘one off’.

While not as egregious as row B at £118, row C at £75 is pretty bad too in my opinion. To charge that much for seats where vital moments of the production are completely invisible (the vision of Odette, Odette's death, Von Rothbart's death) is something I find both infuriating and disappointing.

• Like 6

On 25/10/2023 at 17:36, oncnp said:

'Can't see KOH breaking up the pair that made the roles in 2018 so I think you will get your wish

Are you referring to a  potential Kaneko/Bracewell partnership in Swan Lake? It would be a great pairing, but Fumi first danced it (amazingly) in 2022, with Federico Bonelli (his Swan Song).  

(It was Takada/Bracewell in 2018...anothjer great partnership).

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

BTW does anyone know when we are likely to get the casting for Swan Lake and the MacMillan Triple ??

recently casting has been released very close to Premium 2 Friends booking start, which for SL and MacMillan Triple will be 29th November

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

BTW does anyone know when we are likely to get the casting for Swan Lake and the MacMillan Triple ??

Friends were informed of Winter casting on Aug 9. Booking opened Sept 5.

I believe Patrons got earlier notification (a week?) 

Edited by oncnp

22 minutes ago, capybara said:

The casting has to come out during next week otherwise Patrons will be booking without knowing.

Oh, wow, I hadn't realised that Patrons can book a month prior to highest level Friends.  That's good news for getting cast information soon.  Thanks @capybara

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 15/10/2023 at 13:34, JohnS said:

But I wanted to highlight the news in bold in the covering letter: ‘We haven’t including pricing in this magazine’ followed by ‘It will be sent out before booking opens.’ 

Trying to budget for Spring and find that there are no seat maps for the MacMillan triple. I can't remember if there ever were. .

They have a couple of days before Friends' booking opens but Patrons booked last week, did they not? And the ROH did "essential maintenance" last week and I wonder if they got lost in the shuffle (won't be the first time)

Edited to add: They are still available Select your own seat (roh.org.uk) but not linked to event page (and not sure they are still accurate) 

Edited by oncnp

Sorry @oncnp but I don’t recall seeing a seat map. When prices were published, the top price was £110, as for Anemoi/The Cellist, (which I thought good news) and I think the pattern looked similar to Anemoi/The Cellist which hopefully gives a guide.

I was hoping there’d be changes to Swan Lake Stalls Circle bench seats but nothing so far.

3 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Sorry @oncnp but I don’t recall seeing a seat map. When prices were published, the top price was £110, as for Anemoi/The Cellist, (which I thought good news) and I think the pattern looked similar to Anemoi/The Cellist which hopefully gives a guide.

I was hoping there’d be changes to Swan Lake Stalls Circle bench seats but nothing so far.

Thanks. See my edited post above. The  MacMillan’ maps were/are there just not linked to the website

Edited by oncnp

Reminder.....Booking opens for Friends tomorrow

View priority booking dates
General: 11 January 2024, 9am
Young ROH: 10 January 2024, 9am
Friends: 12 December 2023, 9am
Young Friends: 12 December 2023, 9am
Friends+: 7 December 2023, 9am
Supporting Friends: 6 December 2023, 9am
Premium 1 Friends: 30 November 2023, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 29 November 2023, 9am

Does anyone know how tall Jonathan Lo is?  Had a bit of website bother while booking and when my original choice would not load into my basket, I took the "restricted view" that was available. The "restriction" is Mr Lo. 

Very pleased he is the conductor but am wondering how "restricted" my view will be. It's the only SL I can attend.

Thanks

I'm not sure.  He's very slim, which may make him appear taller than he is.  What's more important is his conducting style - hopefully less sprawling than that of the late Isaiah Jackson, who is the only conductor I've had the misfortune to see from that position.  However, that was before the House was renovated, so things may have changed anyway.

33 minutes ago, capybara said:

Jonathan Lo is well below  one’s sight line.

There are one or two conductors who raise their rostrum but it’s generally not a problem.

I sat behind Jonathan Lo on Saturday and had an almost clear view. In fact, it struck me that from his position it must’ve been difficult to actually see the dancers onstage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

I sat behind Jonathan Lo on Saturday and had an almost clear view. In fact, it struck me that from his position it must’ve been difficult to actually see the dancers onstage. 

I wondered the same thing yesterday at Birmingham Hippodrome...can the conductor see the dancers sufficiently, particularly when they are nearer the back of the stage?

Is casting for other roles for Swan Lake released well in advance of the performances starting? I can't remember from last time.

Booking for Friends+ is on Thursday and thus far we Odette/Odile and Siegfried. 

22 minutes ago, MJW said:

Is casting for other roles for Swan Lake released well in advance of the performances starting? I can't remember from last time.

I don't think so. I'd be happy with any casting for the MacMillan

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I don't think it ever is, is it?

• Like 1