Travel tips : Dutch National Ballet in Amsterdam and RDB in Copenhagen

DNB are going to be performing their new Raymonda again this December (pitching it as the perfect Christmas ballet which is interesting).

I really want to see a traditional telling of the story so am seriously contemplating a couple of days in Amsterdam.

Any recommendations for reasonably priced hotels local to the opera house? 

How small (and walkable) is Amsterdam? What is a must see other than Anne Frank's house and how does that work in terms of proximity to opera house area?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Editing to add: Any advice on auditorium seating would also be a help. I'd probably look at top 2 pricing tiers for this.

Edited by Blossom

1 hour ago, Blossom said:

DNB are going to be performing their new Raymonda again this December (pitching it as the perfect Christmas ballet which is interesting).

I really want to see a traditional telling of the story so am seriously contemplating a couple of days in Amsterdam.

How small (and walkable) is Amsterdam? What is a must see other than Anne Frank's house and how does that work in terms of proximity to opera house area?

Editing to add: Any advice on auditorium seating would also be a help. I'd probably look at top 2 pricing tiers for this.

I've stayed in Amsterdam a few times for the ballet, but not yet found a hotel really close to the Opera House within my price range. However, trams and buses are pretty frequent and I've always felt safe. I always look on booking.com for my hotel. 

Personally, I found Amsterdam just a bit too big to happily walk everywhere but maybe when I was much younger it would have been fine.

The Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are a must as is wandering around the beautiful canal streets. Then you must go and buy some cookies from Van Stapele. 

Re seating. I've sat in the front row of the "Grand Tier" and in the aisle seats of the side block of the stalls - row 10. Both were very good views. The front row of the GT is obviously a more panoramic view, the side block of the stalls close; it depends whether you have a personal preference. 

Edited by annamk
Seating
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure you will love "Raymonda" though some twists of the plot and main characters are not quite traditional. I myself prefer to sit close to the scene and choose almost always the first places at the first tier (strangely enough, located at the row 2 as the first row is only in the center). But there you can't see the far corner of the scene.

Actually I haven't been to Anna Frank's museum (it's on my list, but there always were enormous queues there), but the Rijksmuseum is absolutely worth of visiting, and you can buy a combo ticket to visit Rijksmuseum and the Modern art museum located nearby (they had some Banksy works when I was visiting). 

The canal tour is a must, especially if it's your first visit to Amsterdam.

It's probably better to buy a special small card (similar to Oyster card) for travelling around, it can be used for 3 years, or Amsterdam card - depending on how many days you'll spend there. If it'll be several days, you can find some guided tours around Holland - I took once a trip to Delft, Hague and Rotterdam, and it was wonderful!

I myself am looking forward to see " Giselle" in Amsterdam (and then "Bovary" in Berlin - there's quite convenient and not too expensive direct train between two cities).

As to the hotel accomodation, there's a cheap and nice "Hortus" hotel in a walking distance from the Opera house and close to the tram stop and Waterlooplein underground station. But it's typical Amsterdam house, meaning narrow steep staircase.

Edited by Estreiiita
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, annamk said:

The Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are a must as is wandering around the beautiful canal streets. Then you must go and buy some cookies from Van Stapele. 

Re seating. I've sat in the front row of the "Grand Tier" and in the aisle seats of the side block of the stalls - row 10. Both were very good views. The front row of the GT is obviously a more panoramic view, the side block of the stalls close; it depends whether you have a personal preference. 

Definitely going to do Van Gogh  - cookies sounds amazing - but only if they cater for coeliacs!

I was wondering about the aisle seats for that clear view across the stage - although based on the thread @alison linked to, it sounds like centre stalls won't have any issues - and prices are so much more competitive than London which gives so much more flex with seating.

1 hour ago, Estreiiita said:

I'm sure you will love "Raymonda" though some twists of the plot and main characters are not quite traditional. I myself prefer to sit close to the scene and choose almost always the first places at the first tier (strangely enough, located at the row 2 as the first row is only in the center). But there you

At least it will be more traditional that the ENB version which premiered at around the same time....

@art_enthusiast if our dates happened to match, we could have a BCF interval meet up 😉

• Like 1

I did book into a hotel quite close to the theatre over 10 years ago but it turned out to be in one of those beautiful townhouses with very steep, narrow and winding stairs. I didn't feel entirely safe overnight on the top floor in relation to fire evacuation and have since opted for a chain further out via booking.com or hotels.com.

• Like 2

I know other people are more frequent visitors to Copenhagen than me and that we have Danish members who could advise.

I've only ever sat in the stalls at Det Kongelige Theater and I really like the front row.  I haven't been to the new opera house.

The first time we went specifically to see the Royal Danish Ballet we were recommended to stay in a hotel called Hotel Opera which is literally around the corner from the main entrance to the theatre.  We've also stayed in one called Christian lV which IIRC was around a 10 minute stroll away.  Another one was the Hotel Bethel - the seaman's mission spectacularly located on Nyhavn about 5 minutes walk away.

There's so much to see and do in Copenhagen - I love it!

• Like 5

The Hotel Opera - once my home from home - closed several years  ago and after a complete makeover reopened as the Hotel Sanders - far too posh for me but may suit others! (It's owned by Alexander Kølpin, once a dancer with the RDB)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was there in September last year. I stayed at the CitizenM hotel and it was very walkable to the opera house (and other attractions). I felt safe walking back at night. It’s a lovely city and I spent a lot of time happily wandering around admiring the canal houses.

I sat in the front row of the 2nd balcony and had a great view. 

Hope you enjoy your visit!

• Like 5

When I went to see DNB's Raymonda last year, I stayed Hotel Motel One Amsterdam-Waterlooplien.

It is a budget hotel. 

But the beauty of this hotel is 10 minute walk from the theatre and not a complicated route.

You just walk down from the hotel straight on the big street.

For hotel in Copenhagen, there are number of hotels near The Royal Theatre.

The rate is widely varied. 

My favourite is Hotel Bethel.

It is not a big hotel and you may find plain.

5 minute walk from the theatre.

The hotel faces to Nyhavn canal, but not necessary to have a view though.

Another my favourite hotel is Copenhagen Admiral.

It can be pricy. The service is excellent.

If you are lucky, you might have New Opera House view from your room.

8 - 10 minutes walk from the theatre.

Since Metro completed the expansion, Kongens Nytorv station has become more convenient.

One of the exits is right next to The Royal Theatre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Travel tips : Dutch National Ballet in Amsterdam and RDB in Copenhagen
11 hours ago, yumiko said:

When I went to see DNB's Raymonda last year, I stayed Hotel Motel One Amsterdam-Waterlooplien.

It is a budget hotel. 

But the beauty of this hotel is 10 minute walk from the theatre and not a complicated route.

You just walk down from the hotel straight on the big street.

This is a great lead thanks. It looks rather lovely for a budget hotel and rather handy for the restaurant I had in mind.

Edited by Blossom
  • Like 2

This thread encouraged me to take a look at the Danish Opera website, and I'm very keen on the Balanchine/Bournonville productions in September. However it appears impossible to book tickets, or even pre-order beyond 8th September. Could they already be sold out? I'm also very interested in Tristan und Isolde with the wonderful Elisabeth Strid in June, but faced the same situation. No sign of a booking calendar, as far as I could see.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aruna S said:

This thread encouraged me to take a look at the Danish Opera website, and I'm very keen on the Balanchine/Bournonville productions in September. However it appears impossible to book tickets, or even pre-order beyond 8th September. Could they already be sold out? I'm also very interested in Tristan und Isolde with the wonderful Elisabeth Strid in June, but faced the same situation. No sign of a booking calendar, as far as I could see.

Yep, I don’t find their website particularly cohesive either!

I assumed that the dates you can’t click on are sold out, or are they just not on sale yet? It’s not very clear

Delighted to say that I was able to book for Tristan, having made the agonising choice between ballet and Wagner - Copenhagen is just too expensive for me to go twice. Thanks so much again, Jane, and thank you Blossom for starting the discussion!

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 09:12, Blossom said:

I love Het Nationale Theatre. Its probably my favourite theatre in the whole world.  So comfortable and sight lines are very good.  I often sit in the 2nd tier front row and it is perfect, and the 1st tier is of course fabulous.  I haven't sat in the stalls but they seem ok too.  The Dutch being tall have a decent rake everywhere so big heads have not been an issue for me when I have not been able to get a front row seat.  Ticket prices are very good compared to London as well.  I saw the New Raymonda on its first run with Maia Makhateli as Raymonda and it is a lovely production with beatiful sets and costumes.  DNB can do no wrong in my eyes and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Hotel wise the closest are the Ibis Waterlooplein and the Motel One which someone else has mentioned.  you can walk to those.  I get the tram and stay further out at Sloterdijk Station but have also used Hotel Larende and Hotel Alp both on a tram route.  The Royal Palace is worth a visit (but leave any bags bigger than about A4 behind as they take them off you I had to leave my handbag which is NOT large and carry my purse!)  and the Nieuw Kerk next door often has exhibitions on.  Rijks Museum is good, the van Gogh gets busy so book a ticket in advance if you want to go there.  Good place to eat is the Department Store Bijenkorf on the Dam Square as it has a very nice self service restaurant and you can have food cooked in front of you or cold plate, etc  reasonable and quick and good quality.  And above all watch out for bikes, trams and cars  they're a nightmare all together in a tight space (the cyclists particularly because half of them are tourists who haven't got a clue - even the Dutch say that!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've looked extensively on booking.com and not found anything reasonably priced and well reviewed within say 10 minutes walking distance. In the past I stayed at the Monet Garden but at the moment it's out of my budget. However, the trams are efficient and safe so if you're a bit further away I have found it to be fine. 

• Thanks 1