Turn It Out with Tiler Peck (NYC Ballet Principal & Friends) - Sadler’s Well Theatre - March 9-11th, 2023.

On 29/11/2022 at 16:18, Bruce Wall said:

NYCB Principal dancer Tiler Peck will come with her ‘friends’ to Sadler’s Wells in London in the spring.
She will present the European premiere of Turn It Out with Tiler Peck & Friends on Thursday 9 – Saturday 11 March 2023.
Peck has assembled many of today’s most exciting dancers in an exciting programme.

Originally conceived for New York City Center’s Artists at the Center series, the programme includes Peck’s own Thousandth Orange, set to live music by Pulitzer Prize winner Caroline Shaw, Alonzo King’s pas de deux Swift ArrowTime Spell – a collaboration between long-time friend and tap dancer Michelle Dorrance alongside Jillian Meyers.  The programme closes with The Barre Project, Blake Works II, which was originally created for film and hosted by Sadler’s Wells Digital Stage and produced by CLI Studios with music by James Blake. The project marked the first creative partnership between Peck and choreographer William Forsythe and now will be performed live.

Featuring performances by:
India Bradley, Michelle Dorrance, Jovani Furlan, Christopher Grant, Lex Ishimoto, Lauren Lovette, Brooklyn Mack, Aaron Marcellus, Roman Mejia, Jillian Meyers, Mira Nadon, Tiler Peck, K.J. Takahashi, Byron Tittle, and Penelope Wendtlandt.

Turn It Out with Tiler Peck & Friends
Sadler’s Wells, EC1
Thursday 9 – Saturday 11 March 2023

No prizes for guessing I booked too. 😊I can highly recommend Lovette, Mejia, Furlan, Nadon, and Bradley from NYCB, Brooklyn Mack we know from his guest principal performances with ENB, Lex Ishimoto from the Sadler’s Wells livestream with Tiler and Roman dancing Forsythe, and Dorrance for her tap dancing. And of course, Tiler herself!  I haven’t seen the others but I have no doubt that Tiler can and has picked excellent artists who are a good fit for her programme. (Have a look at Bruce’s thread for other useful info he has posted if anyone is still unsure about going.) 

Edited by Emeralds

• 3 weeks later...

WOW just WOW !!!! What a thrilling evening. 

I loved it so much I bought a ticket for tomorrow evening too. 

A fantastic programme - the longest piece “Time Spell” is innovative and unique. The dancing is sensational and deservedly received enthusiastically by a packed Sadlers Wells. 

It would be amazing if this were to herald a return to London by New York City Ballet. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Some really excellent dancing, not just from Peck herself, but also Roman Mejia and Lauren Lovette (I would’ve never believed she was retired as she’s in perfect dancing shape). I can definitely see why Mira Nadon at her young age has been made principal, but she seemed a bit timid in the more abstract sequences of the evening, nevertheless a young star to watch. Choreographically I felt some of the pieces swung and missed, but the main draw of the evening was to watch the spectacle of these talented artists.

Peck’s own choreography I quite liked, funnily it reminded me quite a lot of Justin Peck’s style (no relation). It was short and sweet. Alonzo King’s pas de deux had some very compelling opening solos, which Tiler especially tore through but the subsequent adagio felt a bit forgettable. One piece which combined tap and ballet was very spectacular, the only downside was some rather frumpy costumes and sometimes having a bit too much thrown in. But when it worked it was dazzling.

As for Blake Works II, Tiler was ethereal. Musically sharp, dynamic, and totally owning her own style. I hope we get to see her in London again! 

• Like 5

Loving these reviews!

FYI I believe Lauren Lovette is freelance rather than retired.  She left NYCB to pursued her own projects but continues to dance widely as a guest.  I follow her Instagram.  She’s inspiring and thoughtful.  

• Like 1

So glad people are enjoying the artists in this programme.  It was life enriching for me to catch Lovette again.  I always did like her and so regretted missing her NYCB retirement programme.  So sweet to see Meija and KJ Takahasi together ---- as KJ went to his parent's school (so easy to forget they are both SOOO young) before going to SAB and I know they are good friends.  So taken by Quinn Starner.  She only joined the NYCB corps in 2022 - but well deserves her featured prominence here.  Also so glad to see Grant used to advantage - as I sometimes feel he is undercast at the main house.  It's a bit of a waste of Furlan's talents just to have him in the first piece - but I assume that's because he had been pulled from his Princely NYCB Sleeping Beauty duties due to a family emergency in Brazil.  Still so glad he was able to make it at all.  Meija only ever goes from strength to strength.  He does so remind me of a 17 year old Ivan Vasiliev - only he is the better 'ballet' dancer.  Still, like Vasiliev he can always make me giggle.  His good humour just flows - abundantly so.  That's something he shares with Tiler who musically is charisma personified.  She was ever thus.  In ALL a gift. 

I sincerely doubt, Anna, you will be seeing the main NYCB Company any time soon in London - as opposed, say, to Paris - (especially given the HUGE increase in unit company individual visa charges by the Home Office - much as is now sadly also the case in the USA as actioned by the Department for Immigration and Naturalization - I assume for the same reasons - and thus I'm thinking no RB Company visit for NYC any time in the near future) - but it would be lovely to think that Tiler might be invited back to host a similar-sized programme.  Who knows, perhaps it could become an annual event?  It would also be grand if they could extend a similar invitation to Damien Woetzel to bring a Team from Vail.  A goodly number of British/European artists have taken part in that.  (A few of those might save on air fares and pick up some more of the local audience.)  A three performance limit now seems a good range for London - much as NYCB is doing just three performances of one programme at the Teatro Real.  Here's hoping those sell out too.  Best always to leave them wanting more methinks.  (Oh, and NYCB's Danny Ulbrecht has had his own '& friends' pick-up company for years.  Perhaps he might have a Sadler's turn much as he has had in capitals throughout Europe.)  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, alison said:

Wow, when did this run nearly sell out?  It wasn't selling that well last time I looked.

Yes, I looked it must have been a couple of weeks ago & there were still loads of tickets so I decided to leave deciding whether to go or not until I knew what I'd be doing with Woolf Works with the train stikes. Having just got a Friday rush ticket for tomorrow's Woolf Works matinee I went onto Sadler's Wells website to have a look at ticket availability for this only to find it's sold out tomorrow night. Oh well, fortunately I was mildly curious rather than absolutely desparate to see it.

• Like 1

If last night was wildly solid, tonight was truly electric.  So many of the rough edges - the nervous jags in so many of the opening night departments - were well and truly 'Turned Out' so that the sharp edges of the music - thrillingly rendered - were rightfully enhanced - especially in Time Spell where Lauren Lovette was TRULY SPECTACTULAR - SO ENTIRELY MOVING in her solo which was choreographically quite different from the night before - much as Ishimoto left his 'on the head hip hop' at home tonight in favour of tours thus making the final panoply of that vivid piece's whole all that much more substantive in its ravishing end.  Moreover, the wit engendered at the heart of the Forsythe was let thrive afresh in the very euphoria of its merriment's thrust.  Starner continued to flame - (something tells me this girl ain't gonna be in NYCB's corps for long) - and KJ's partnering was oh, so much improved from the night before.  You could feel the whole evening grow; each burgeoning piece flowering afresh.  Two things remained heart-endearingly the same though - (i) The magnetic Mr. Meija was as irresistibly arresting as ever and the second - well, at least for me - the second (ii) was the beatitude of Christopher Grant's buoyant thrill at at just being allowed to shine.  I can't express how much the quiet clarity of his rapture moved me.  At one point you could actually see this boy who has been in the NYCB corps for so long actually smile.  The sultry joy of his partnering of the ever effervescent Jillian Myers literally had me in tears.  The boy from Jamaica (the one in Queens, NY that is) had done good.  Well done YOU, fella.  You deserve it!!  YOU DESERVE IT!!!  BELIEVE IT!!!  And Brava to the incomparable Tiler Peck for sharing these fortuitous strokes of balletic opportunity with us.  Stepping up to plate with Tiler (as much as the world-beating-triumph that is Michelle Dorrance) remains, as ever, a life-refining fortuity.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

Well I quite enjoyed that.  

I think I must be the only person who didn't like Time Spell.  I just didn't like the music and the singing did nothing for me. I just didn't find the piece worked for me as a whole.  

I loved the Forsyth though, the choreography was wonderful and the interpretation was really exquisite and delicate.  I also really liked the first piece that Tiler Peck choreographed, it was rather meditative and the choreography and the music really worked for me and I found it very satisfying to watch and really quite meditative.  I also liked the costuming as it really suited the dancers and was bright and colourful. 

I also liked the pas de deux as it worked well and the pair had really good chemistry and struck sparks off each other. 

So overall a thoroughly interesting evening.  

• Like 2

I went back again last night and am still on the indescribable high that comes from the joy of watching great dance. 

What a brilliantly curated evening.

What brilliant dancers: all shapes and sizes, all different styles with one thing in common - boy can they move.

I only really knew Tiler Peck and Lauren Lovette before this evening and neither of them particularly well. I feel mean singling anyone out but I was blown away by Lex Ishimoto and his astounding fluidity; by Roman Mejia and his athletic virtuosity and of course by Tiler herself oh and Jillian Meyers and Lauren Lovette and and and ..... 

I'd go back again tonight if I could - deservedly sold out. 

Come back soon !

• Like 7

The atmosphere was just electric throughout - I confess to not being very familiar with any of the dancers except Tiler Peck, Lauren Lovette and Brooklyn Mack. I’m now going to be researching and following them all profusely from now on! Such brilliance, athleticism and high energy throughout. Not sure of any of the names of the pieces apart from Forsyth (I didn’t have much time to research beforehand) but I adored the piece just before the interval: the contrast between tap and ballet, the collaboration with the singers on stage, it felt so natural. 

• Like 4

Since I'm still applying my "minimal purchase of programmes until I have somewhere to store them" policy, please could someone post who was dancing in what?  I obviously need some new distance glasses, as I was struggling to make out features.

• Like 1

Sadly I couldn’t make this but have enjoyed reading the reviews here so thanks for commenting - I’m glad it sold well and was a good programme!

I hope Tiler Peck and or NYCB do come to London, I’d love to see her live. Hopefully this selling well could increase the chances! 

• Like 2

In answer to your question art_enthusiast …..apparently  NYCB last came to UK in March 2008!!! Far too long ago! 
I did look it up though….as I couldn’t remember when they were last here but knew it was ages ago…as it is. 
Id love to see them here and ABT but I wouldn’t be thinking in the current climate it will be any time soon unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Wow, had a great evening. Particularly loved Time Spell which was an insanely clever mixture of voice (not all can be described as singing), ballet, tap and contemporary and was completely engaging and uplifting. It also felt very American somehow, like experiencing a slice of New York. I hope that this piece will be eligible/entered for next year’s Olivier Awards. It seems like the perfect piece of high quality, mainstream dance art.

I was cutting it quite fine in terms of getting there so unfortunately didn’t manage to get a programme- they all sold out! It would be great if anyone could share the complete list of artists from Time Spell.

• Like 6