Turn It Out with Tiler Peck (NYC Ballet Principal & Friends) - Sadler’s Well Theatre - March 9-11th, 2023.

Well, a last minute call Saturday afternoon to the helpful SW box office & got a ticket….

A 3 hour drive drive there & a 3 hour drive back….crazy? Yep - but wow, so worth it!!!

I agree with previous comments of how American it felt & great for that - a real change up through the gears from a typical UK programme….loved it & wish could watch again!

Too late to buy a programme so I too would be very grateful if anyone who did could post photos of cast list/biogs etc…

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

Hi Dennis, and welcome to the forum!  The show has gone down very well here in London.  Do you know if they filmed it over there?  Many of us were unable to get to the shows here, and I would really love to see it.  I don't suppose it will be back any time soon, sadly.  :(

Very happy I got to see this show. I admire Tiler so much. Not just as a brilliant ballerina, but as the architect of her own career offstage. Author, curator, choreographer, designer; an amazing and inspirational woman.

The program was beautifully crafted imo (and executed). What a treat to see Roman Mejia and the other dancers live. I echo everyone who would love to see NYCB in London — unlikely I know, but we can dream.

While I enjoyed all the different pieces, the Forsythe was my grudging highlight (adore his choreography, not so much the music choice). While the evening was probably the best example of modern ballet I have seen in awhile, I do admit thinking throughout the show how thrilling it would be to see Tiler in a ballet like Sylvia. Another one added to the fantasy wish list 😆

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Sim said:

Hi Dennis, and welcome to the forum!  The show has gone down very well here in London.  Do you know if they filmed it over there?  Many of us were unable to get to the shows here, and I would really love to see it.  I don't suppose it will be back any time soon, sadly.  :(

Hi Sim,

Unfortunately, very few performances are recorded in the States.  We all wish they would be but for some reason almost none are recorded or available for streaming.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tiler has super stage presence and brilliant technique and her group of dancers were all excellent especially Meija, Grant and Lovette.  I found the choreography and music choices to be a mixed bag, and was actually bored in parts of the piece with tap, although I enjoyed the percussive and sung music accompaniment. 

I am getting quite bored with ‘every’ company having a Forsythe Blake works piece lately, not being a fan of repetitive samey James Blake music.  However I did enjoy Forsythe’s choreo. The energy the last 4 dancers brought to the final piece ensured the evening ended on a high. It would be good to see more of these dancers. 

• Like 6

Agree re the samey James Blake music - not my music of choice, either, although I preferred this selection to the pieces used by ENB in the fleshed-out Blake Works 1 and really loved the choreography and energy in performance of this piece, music notwithstanding.

And I found the fusion of tap, ballet and vocal accompaniment in Time Spell totally intoxicating.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, FionaE said:

Tiler has super stage presence and brilliant technique and her group of dancers were all excellent especially Meija, Grant and Lovette.  I found the choreography and music choices to be a mixed bag, and was actually bored in parts of the piece with tap, although I enjoyed the percussive and sung music accompaniment. 

I am getting quite bored with ‘every’ company having a Forsythe Blake works piece lately, not being a fan of repetitive samey James Blake music.  However I did enjoy Forsythe’s choreo. The energy the last 4 dancers brought to the final piece ensured the evening ended on a high. It would be good to see more of these dancers. 

I would agree the James Blake music was not overwhelming and was repetitive.  I liked the choreography though and thought it was well done.  I'd also agree on Time Spell as the tap didn't hugely capture me.  

• Like 2

I just want to say that I enjoyed the show very much on opening night. It was upbeat, not overlong and an entertaining showcase of virtuosity. As others have said, the music for the Forsythe piece was not to my taste, but otherwise it was a good evening and excellent value for the ticket price. And I loved the tap dancing!

• Like 2

Someone upthread, I think, mentioned that programmes had run out early: I did wonder why Sadler's Wells had bothered putting a "buy programme voucher" option in the online booking procedure, but the same thing had happened with Scottish Ballet's Coppelia programme (even at an eye-watering £8!). Then, there was a sign up saying that they had run out of programmes, but people with programme vouchers should speak to the box office.  It may simply be that that was in order to get a refund, but I did wonder whether a number of programmes equal to the number of outstanding vouchers had been put aside specially for the holders.  Does anyone know?

I suppose that actually getting people to commit to buying the programme before they arrive might be helpful in getting print run numbers more appropriate to demand.

• Like 2

Maybe they ran out because what happened to me, happened to many other people too. I don't often buy them and I wasn't planning to for this but it was such a fantastic programme and such superb dancers I rushed straight out at the interval to get one. 

• Like 2

It is interesting to note that today the body (not complete) of creative artists for this year's Vail Dance Festival (the fantastic Damian Woetzel, Founder/AD) has just been announced.  Tiler Peck is again choreographing (as well as, of course, appearing) as are many of the individual NYCB  associated artists who were in her recent Wells' programme (e.g., Mejia, Grant, Lovette, Nadon, Takahasi and India Bradley - who had been originally cast for London but was replaced by the phenomenal Quinn Starner).  NYCB's Mearns, Chan, Phelan and Bell are also appearing on the Colorado bill.  There are original pieces there being choreographed by Kyle Abrahams (now known to London audiences for his two Covent Garden pieces) and internationally celebrated Justin Peck - (who here would be largely known for his film work with Spielberg - although his first contemporary piece was seen by the LA Dance Project some years ago at the Wells about which the late Clement Crisp rung rhapsodic.)  I was wondering if - given the HUGE success of Turn It Out with Tiler Peck - if she might put together another similar London treat for next year - should a suitable time/space be available in Theatre/Artist calendars.  One can, of course, but pray.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

New Yorker here.  Is it normal practice to buy programs?  In the States, we're given one.  Usually, they have more than needed.  Are those available for purchase more intricate than the programs included with ticket purchases in the US?

17 minutes ago, Dance fan said:

New Yorker here.  Is it normal practice to buy programs?  In the States, we're given one.  Usually, they have more than needed.  Are those available for purchase more intricate than the programs included with ticket purchases in the US?

Programmes are sold (there are not usually freebies) for all the main companies.  Occasionally free programmes (usually a sheet of A4) are given out for smaller companies.

If you don't want the programme, cast sheets are often available at no charge.

6 hours ago, Dance fan said:

The RB programmes are £8.50, and are generally decent value - though the 1st half is virtually all adverts, and the last third biogs of the main dancers, and a photo of the corps dancers (plus more adverts). The articles, synopsis and photos (often studio rehearsal ones, especially for a new production) in the middle are pretty good.

The last 3 shows I've been to, the programmes' content/value for money (and their price) have varied enormously!

Scottish Ballet - £8, sketchy content, rip off

Tiler Peck - £6, some decent photos, ok articles, ok-ish

Ballet Black - £5; excellent value with good articles and some pretty good photos

Lesson - you don't always get what you pay for!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...