Press Release: ENB Swan Lake Casting Announced for Coliseum

Sim

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

She has the most incredibly secure and beautiful technique .. her adagio and her fouettés are a thing of wonder.  And she is always the star choice for the final piece at the annual Ballet Icons gala.  (Often partnered by Daniel Simkin).  

Nevertheless, I found her very unappealing from a dramatic point of view (with the RB). Perhaps she had an off night (or perhaps I did).

Edited by bridiem

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, bridiem said:

Nevertheless, I found her very unappealing from a dramatic point of view (with the RB). Perhaps she had an off night (or perhaps I did).

I saw her do Juliet with McRae, and she bowled me over.  I wasn't expecting it, but it happened.  She had a very different take on the role, and played young Juliet as a true aristocrat who was then subsumed by earthy passion.  I loved it!

• Like 8

I saw Salenko’s very first show at RB where she partnered Steven McRae in Don Quixote, filling in for Alina Cojocaru who had left the company. She and McRae were absolutely on fire in that performance, and they were equally stunning in Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Giselle, The Two Pigeons and Diamonds from Jewels. Salenko has incredible technique but also that way of fully inhabiting her character every second- very old school style dancing in the best sense, without any affectations or mannerisms.

McRae has said she worked very hard and put in very long hours in the studio when she guested with them and they were all impressed with how hard she worked to learn the productions and roles. RB were said to have offered or discussed with her a full time principal position, but she had to decline as her son was very young then and her husband dances with Staatsballett Berlin too- and she now has three children, so any chance of a full length guest performance from her is rare and gold dust.

I was sorry not to have caught her performances as Juliet and Odette/Odile- they were last minute substitutions covering for people who were injured or unavailable for other reasons...I think for Swan Lake she only had a day's notice or something, and had to dance with Muntagirov with very little rehearsal time after rehearsing it (also quite last minute) for a different performance with McRae, to cover Evgenia Obraztsova who was recalled back to Moscow at short notice to fill in for another ballerina in either Onegin or La Dame aux Camellias (can’t remember which). So it wasn’t surprising if there wasn’t much time to build up a rapport with a new partner in an unfamiliar production (this was the Dowell production and there had been lots of injuries in that run; every available sub was already covering someone else.) 

I actually liked her La Bayadere with Xander Parish at the recent Nureyev Gala as her character is meant to be remote so it’s the correct interpretation - Solor can dream of her but she is always out of reach, and that’s to emphasise and highlight his regret at betraying her. In contrast, in Giselle Act 2, where Albrecht is also full of regret, there must be a connection, because Giselle isn’t his dream-she is actually there and trying to save his life. The interpretations of Bayadere (Shades scene) with too much eye contact and emotional engagement, I feel, are done when the dancers haven’t enough confidence/practice to look away, and are afraid of missing a catch in the pirouettes or a lift. It shouldn’t look like Swan Lake Act 2 pdd with different music and steps.

A pity that Shiori Kase is still not recovered from her injury (get well soon, Shiori!) so I am guessing the delay was perhaps due to confirming that, and the availability of guests Salenko and Mack. I will get the chance to see Lorenzo Trossello in a full length classic (yay) on the date I booked “blind” in case the dates I could do sold out, and I have also booked another 2 performances to catch two other casts I like.  

Edited by Emeralds
Edited for clarity
  • Like 8

On 16/12/2022 at 17:52, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether Oliveira & Saruhashi are likely to be good? They're the cast I find I have a ticket for and, as there's no equivalent seat available to swap to for Hawes/Arrieta or Salenko/Frola I'm wondering whether to stick to the seat I've got & buy less good seats for the other two casts, given I'll have to have less good seats for them anyway. I did like Oliveira in Raymonda. I think the only thing I've seen Saruhashi do was Benjamin in Cinderella but I can't really remember much about his performance.

Forgot to add that I have seen Ken Saruhashi in various solo roles in Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty and Swan Lake, as Hilarion in Akram Khan’s Giselle, and he was  brilliant and joyful in Playlist (Track 1,2) in its premiere run, and I would recommend him highly, Dawnstar. Oliveira was wonderful in the first pas de deux of Blake Works 1, a funny and delightful Gulnare in their Le Corsaire, and she was a compelling Juliet in their production of Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet some years ago. I’d keep their Swan Lake if that was the cast I had and book for your fave Frola with Salenko, whatever seat you can get! And if you have time to go for a third, Hawes/Arrieta too. 

• Like 2

@Emeralds Thanks for your reply. I've booked for Frola/Salenko in the meantime. I can only see 2 casts so still haven't decided between Oliveira/Saruhashi & Hawes/Arrieta. At the moment there aren't any decent seats left for Hawes/Arrieta on those of their dates that I can do. If any come up nearer the time then I might well swap to that. If not then I'll stick to Oliveira/Saruhashi.

• Like 2

I’ve spent ages dithering about booking and if so when- and it’s almost sold out for the dates I’m interested in. So I’ve very rashly booked a seat in a box for the first Sunday performance- fingers crossed the other folk in the box will be amiable!

• Like 1

Well CCL I certainly wish you a lucky time and would love to know how you get on eventually. 
BUT the only time I booked a place in a box ….which clearly stated not all people sitting in box would be necessarily in the same party….I did not have a pleasant time 😥

It was at the ROH. 
Unfortunately for me the other three members were all together! And it was obviously a birthday celebration as they had ordered champagne etc!! 
It started off okay but as I’d got there first and it was obvious they were together I offered to sit at the back so they could sit together and offered friendly birthday greetings as you would! 
However once they had the front of the box they sort of arranged themselves so it was not that easy for me to see and totally ignored my presence after that. I really did feel like an interloper at a party and started to wish I wasn’t there! 
It was also obvious they were not regular ballet goers as knew nothing about the ballet ( Giselle) or the dancers. 
I realised I was just incredibly unlucky and it could have been a totally different evening but it put me off ever booking spare seats in a box again! 
Here’s hoping you have a lovely experience anyway. 

Hi LinMM, that does sound like a nightmare and to be honest I could envisage that scenario and it put me off. However my husband encouraged me to give it a go so I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for the best! I will definitely feed back after the performance!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CCL said:

Hi LinMM, that does sound like a nightmare and to be honest I could envisage that scenario and it put me off. However my husband encouraged me to give it a go so I’ll just cross my fingers and hope for the best! I will definitely feed back after the performance!

I once sat in a box at Leeds Grand where the 3 other people were together.  They were very pleasant and it was fine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the ENB Swan Lake at the Coli is now sold out or very close to.  Was it my imagination when I was browsing for tickets or was it really the case that the balcony was not on sale ? Did I imagine it ? If it wasn't available would they open it up now ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lynette H said:

Looks like the ENB Swan Lake at the Coli is now sold out or very close to.  Was it my imagination when I was browsing for tickets or was it really the case that the balcony was not on sale ? Did I imagine it ? If it wasn't available would they open it up now ? 

All my tickets are in the Balcony. I imagine seats aren’t showing as available because they’re all sold.

• Like 1

I was able to get a refund for Nutcracker on Saturday evening, first time ever in my experience at the Coli and I think in response to the rail strike forcing people to cancel, less 10% discount and paid back into my bank account. I could only swap the ticket for another ENB one and there weren't any.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tebasile said:

Does the Coliseum make returned tickets available on the website?

I asked the BO today and they said returns will go back on the website immediately although I've not seen any yet. I was wondering if ENB might have saved some tickets for patrons and will perhaps release some of those nearer the time. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, annamk said:

I asked the BO today and they said returns will go back on the website immediately although I've not seen any yet. I was wondering if ENB might have saved some tickets for patrons and will perhaps release some of those nearer the time. 

I'd like to be able to swap my ticket from 13th to 12th so am hoping that perhaps as 12th is press night they might have held back some tickets & might release any they end up not needing. Admittedly it's probably a vain hope!

due to a gas leak outside my property i was up past my regular bedtime last night as the pavement was being dug up. 

with nothing better to do, i browsed the Coliseum website.  at 00.30 there were tickets available for 12th, 13th, 15th, 18th, 19th & 21st January.

so, always worth checking back. 

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 21:03, Dawnstar said:

I'd like to be able to swap my ticket from 13th to 12th so am hoping that perhaps as 12th is press night they might have held back some tickets & might release any they end up not needing. Admittedly it's probably a vain hope!

I think there’s a good chance of single ticket returns if you don’t mind being slightly more flexible about considering other areas you wouldn’t usually sit in, Dawnstar. Also, could you do 14, 17, or 21 Jan instead? - Emma Hawes and Aitor Arrieta are also dancing on those nights. As it’s not a brand new production, a number of complimentary first night tickets to guests of the company may be returned as they’ve probably seen the production. Just keep checking the website for changes. Good luck! 🍀

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I think there’s a good chance of single ticket returns if you don’t mind being slightly more flexible about considering other areas you wouldn’t usually sit in, Dawnstar. Also, could you do 14, 17, or 21 Jan instead? - Emma Hawes and Aitor Arrieta are also dancing on those nights. As it’s not a brand new production, a number of complimentary first night tickets to guests of the company may be returned as they’ve probably seen the production. Just keep checking the website for changes. Good luck! 🍀

I can't do 17th, as I'm seeing Swan Lake on 18th & Sleeping Beauty on 19th and 3 days in a row would be too much for me but I am also considering 14th or 21st. However so far no suitable returns have come up for any of the 3 possible performances. Unfortunately I'm somewhat limited as the seat I booked was with the 15% multibuy discount which wasn't available for £95 tickets - mine is a £75 one - and so far all the returns I've seen come in have been £95 ones so I wouldn't be able to swap to those.

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I can't do 17th, as I'm seeing Swan Lake on 18th & Sleeping Beauty on 19th and 3 days in a row would be too much for me but I am also considering 14th or 21st. However so far no suitable returns have come up for any of the 3 possible performances. Unfortunately I'm somewhat limited as the seat I booked was with the 15% multibuy discount which wasn't available for £95 tickets - mine is a £75 one - and so far all the returns I've seen come in have been £95 ones so I wouldn't be able to swap to those.

You never know....returns in various price  categories do come back. Fingers crossed! 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

• Like 1

@EmeraldsAfter several days of incessant website checking I've finally managed to swap my ticket from 13th to 12th. I had to take a more expensive £85 & not as good seat but that's to be expected, & better that than sitting there watching one cast while wishing you were watching a different cast!

• Like 2

On 09/01/2023 at 15:55, Dawnstar said:

@EmeraldsAfter several days of incessant website checking I've finally managed to swap my ticket from 13th to 12th. I had to take a more expensive £85 & not as good seat but that's to be expected, & better that than sitting there watching one cast while wishing you were watching a different cast!

Hurrah, Dawnstar- glad you got the date and cast you wanted! (Those four leaf clover emojis seem to have been effective!) I’ve been in that situation- even if I had the most luxurious seat in the house with perfect sight lines, if I was watching a cast I didn’t feel like seeing, I would much prefer to be in a cramped seat far, far away peering over a rail partially obstructing my view, and eyes virtually glued to binoculars throughout, to watch a cast I really wanted to see. First nights can also have a great buzz. So- don’t forget to post us your thoughts after the show (am sure you won’t forget though!) 

• Like 1

@Emeralds Exactly. Mind you, if I had an unlimted budget I'd be happy to see Oliveira & Saruhashi as about my 3rd or 4th choice cast but as I can only afford 2 visits then Hawes/Arrieta are higher on my want-to-see list. Now I just have to hope there's no last minute cast changes! I'm sure I'll say something afterwards, though as it's only my 2nd Swan Lake production, having previously only seen the RB's, I'm not sure my thoughts will be worth much!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

@Emeralds Exactly. Mind you, if I had an unlimted budget I'd be happy to see Oliveira & Saruhashi as about my 3rd or 4th choice cast but as I can only afford 2 visits then Hawes/Arrieta are higher on my want-to-see list. Now I just have to hope there's no last minute cast changes! I'm sure I'll say something afterwards, though as it's only my 2nd Swan Lake production, having previously only seen the RB's, I'm not sure my thoughts will be worth much!

Being the second production alone is special and means your thoughts are worth a lot! The second SL production I saw was the Royal Ballet’s, funnily enough (their Anthony Dowell one which was the predecessor of their current production). My first was Houston Ballet’s production by  Ben Stevenson -who used to be principal dancer and subsequently choreographer at.....coincidentally, ENB! (Both when it was known as London Festival Ballet and as ENB.) 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

A cast change announcement for tomorrow evening. (I'm now even more glad I managed to swap my ticket from tomorrow to tonight as, while Frola is one of my favourite male dancers, I wouldn't want to see him for both of the 2 performances I'll be seeing & not get to see anyone else in the role.)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

A cast change announcement for tomorrow evening. (I'm now even more glad I managed to swap my ticket from tomorrow to tonight as, while Frola is one of my favourite male dancers, I wouldn't want to see him for both of the 2 performances I'll be seeing & not get to see anyone else in the role.)

So will Frola dance with 2 partners then? I suppose he will.

And, depending on what is wrong with him,  I wonder if Saruhashi will dance later in the run taking on one of Frola's other dates as a trade?  I've no idea how these issues are negotiated or hammered out.  

Edited by PeterS
additional thought