Press Release: ENB Swan Lake Casting Announced for Coliseum

Sim

I have looked on their website and the Coli's website and although we can buy tickets, I can't find a cast list anywhere.  On the ENB site it says 'click for cast and creative team' and all I get is the creative team!   Am I just being stoooopid, or is it not publicly available yet?  Or have I missed something?  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

I have looked on their website and the Coli's website and although we can buy tickets, I can't find a cast list anywhere.  On the ENB site it says 'click for cast and creative team' and all I get is the creative team!   Am I just being stoooopid, or is it not publicly available yet?  Or have I missed something?  Thanks!

Casting for Swan Lake early in 2023 isn't yet available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping that the dancers I want to see in SL - which, assuming the pairings are the same as on tour will be Takahashi/Frola & Hawes/Arrieta - will have some non-Saturday performances otherwise it's not looking great for getting decent seats. The Nutcracker is looking even less promising, unless a cast I want to see has a midweek post-Christmas performance then another year may pass with me not seeing ENB's Nutcracker.

Given that there have been a few what you might call unexpected absences from the autumn casting and we know there are some injuries, perhaps the powers that be are waiting until a bit closer to the time when they can be more sure of who is actually likely to be dancing?

• 1 month later...

So, the run starts in less than a month and we still have no casting.  Tickets are selling quickly, but with the cheapest being £45 (or £40 for the over 60s) I would really like to know who I am spending my money on.  I know we are supposed to be buying tickets to see the company (and luckily it would seem that the general public is buying tickets to see just that), but as with everything else many of us have our favourites and if I am spending the money I would like to try to ensure that that is who I see.  I have emailed ENB so let's see if I get a response.  

It's incredibly frustrating to have casting at such short notice.  The same goes for BRB.  I know that this lack of information frustrates the dancers as much as it does the audience.  

I am always so grateful to the RB for providing such advance notice of casting.  Of course this means things can change down the line, but usually this doesn't happen so we are lucky enough to be able to plan in advance.  

• Like 9

Well I didn’t get the email with the press release about Emerging Dancer being suspended until 2024 today!
And as just renewed my Friends membership a couple of weeks ago am feeling a bit miffed. 
And yes I’m still waiting for casting before booking Swan Lake and it is cutting it a bit fine now ….however I wonder if they want to get the opening of Nutcracker out of the way first now before switching attention to Swan Lake? 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

I've asked them several times on Twitter in the last few weeks. The last reply I got was "We are very sorry for the wait, and hope to share the casting very, very soon!" but that was 6 days ago. While I'm pleased for ENB that SL has sold well, I'm not pleased for me as most of the performances now have limited seats left so by the time the casting is eventually announced I'm unlikely to be able to get seats in the area I'd want.

• Like 6

Press Release:  English National Ballet announces Principal casting for Swan Lake at the London Coliseum 

English National Ballet
Swan Lake 

London Coliseum
Thursday 12 - Sunday 22 January 2023

www.ballet.org.uk  

Following performances to audiences of almost 20,000 people on tour this autumn, English National Ballet presents Swan Lake at the London Coliseum from 12 - 22 January 2023. 

Principal casting will see Guest Artist Iana Salenko, Lead Principals Erina Takahashiand Fernanda Oliveira, and Principals Emma Hawes and Natascha Mair perform in the role of Odette/Odile. Dancing in the role of Prince Siegfried is Guest Artist Brooklyn Mack, Lead Principal Francesco Gabriele Frola, Principal Aitor Arrieta, First Soloist Ken Saruhashi and Junior Soloist Lorenzo Trossello

Performing with English National Ballet for the first time, renowned international ballet star Iana Salenko debuts in the role of Odette/Odile alongside Lead Principal Francesco Gabriele Frola as Prince Siegfried. Born in Kyiv, Ukraine, Salenko is a former Principal of Kyiv Ballet and has been a Principal at Staatsballett Berlin since 2007. She made her debut with The Royal Ballet as a Guest Principal in 2013 in Don Quixote and has since performed to international acclaim as a guest artist and in galas around the world.

Choreographed by Derek Deane with Tchaikovsky’s glorious score performed by English National Ballet Philharmonic, this production of Swan Lake features some of the most iconic scenes in ballet and is perfect for both dedicated fans and first-time ballet-goers. 

Swan Lake Principal casting (In the order of Odette/Odile and Prince Siegfried) 
Please note casting is subject to change. See www.ballet.org.uk for up to date information. 

Thursday 12 January
Emma Hawes and Aitor Arrieta

Friday 13 January 
Fernanda Oliveira and Ken Saruhashi 

Saturday 14 January (matinee) 
Erina Takahashi and Lorenzo Trossello 

Saturday 14 January 

Sunday 15 January (matinee) 
Iana Salenko* and Francesco Gabriele Frola 

Tuesday 17 January 

Wednesday 18 January 
Iana Salenko and Francesco Gabriele Frola 

Thursday 19 January (matinee) 
Natascha Mair and Brooklyn Mack 

Thursday 19 January 
Fernanda Oliveira and Ken Saruhashi 

Friday 20 January 
Erina Takahashi and Lorenzo Trossello 

Saturday 21 January (matinee) 
Natascha Mair and Brooklyn Mack 

Saturday 21 January 

Sunday 22 January (matinee) 
Iana Salenko and Francesco Gabriele Frola 

*Debut in role with English National Ballet 

Listings information 

Swan Lake
London Coliseum
Thursday 12 – Sunday 22 January 2023

www.ballet.org.uk/swan-lake

Notes to Editors
English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world class ballet to the widest possible audience through performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as Dance for Parkinson’s; and through talent development initiatives including Ballet Futures which looks to create a more diverse and inclusive future for the artform.

English National Ballet continues to add ground-breaking new works to its repertoire whilst celebrating the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw the Company enter a new chapter in its history with a move to a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, allowing a renewed commitment to creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Press Release: ENB Swan Lake Casting Announced for Coliseum
17 minutes ago, capybara said:

Very surprising that ENB needs to bring in Iana Salenko. I appreciate that Frola needs a shortish partner and Derek Deane’s views will have come into play, but …….

I am thrilled that I have just managed to buy tickets for her matinee with Frola on the 22nd.  I understand what you mean, but I do love her and I do enjoy seeing guest dancers from time to time.  This is one of those times!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am thrilled that I have just managed to buy tickets for her matinee with Frola on the 22nd.  I understand what you mean, but I do love her and I do enjoy seeing guest dancers from time to time.  This is one of those times!

I get that (and Iana is lovely) but it does serve to emphasise either the ‘gaps’ at the top of ENB or a weakness in bringing on talent within the ranks - probably both!

• Like 1

As I feared, the date I booked speculatively turns out to be for a cast that aren't my priority to see while there are no equivalent seats available for the dates when dancers I do want to see are going to be on. Also, while I really want to see Frola, I didn't warm to Salenko when I saw her in the Nuryev Gala 3 months ago. Not sure what to do booking-wise right now.

I really very much like Arrieta but never seen Hawes in this role though am sure she will be good. Unfortunately the days they were dancing didn’t suit me. 
I wouldn’t mind seeing Takahashi but no idea who Trossello is …though could be amazing …I’ve just never seen him. 

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether Oliveira & Saruhashi are likely to be good? They're the cast I find I have a ticket for and, as there's no equivalent seat available to swap to for Hawes/Arrieta or Salenko/Frola I'm wondering whether to stick to the seat I've got & buy less good seats for the other two casts, given I'll have to have less good seats for them anyway. I did like Oliveira in Raymonda. I think the only thing I've seen Saruhashi do was Benjamin in Cinderella but I can't really remember much about his performance.

Edited by Dawnstar

1 minute ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether Oliveira & Saruhashi are likely to be good? They're the cast I find I have a ticket for and, as there's no equivalent seat available to swap to for Hawes/ Arrieta or Salenko/Frola I'm wondering whether to stick to the seat I've got & buy less good seats for the other two casts, given I'll have to have less good seats for them anyway. I did like Oliveira in Raymonda. I think the only thing I've seen Saruhashi do was Benjamin in Cinderella but I can't really remember much about his performance.

I saw Saruhashi dance Siegfried many years ago in Liverpool and he was really good then (with Ksenia Ovsyanick).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Takahashi but no idea who Trossello is …though could be amazing …I’ve just never seen him. 

Wash your keyboard out with soap Linda!!  

Lorenzo Trossello moved over to ENB from NB, where he was doing spectacularly well.  In the spring season tour of Casanova and Gatsby he excelled as the lead in both productions.  He is a superb actor and has a beautiful classical line.  He is definitely one to watch!

We saw Lorenzo making his debut as Seigfried in the Deane production in Liverpool in October.  You obviously didn't read my thoughts on the subject!!  

• Like 4

Oh dear Jan that’s very remiss of me!!!!

I will have a look at what you said back then! 
I can’t make their performance dates anyway though did look out for Takahashi first. The other day I might be able to make I don’t like the main female dancer unfortunately but will look out for Trossello in the Spring!! 

Iana Salenko is a tiny but beautiful dancer. She has a very clean and strong technique, not as expressive as a Natalia Osipova, for instance, but she is in top form. She is one of my "hero ballerinas", at age 39 and Mum of 3 boys (she barely survived giving birth to boy no. 2) still going strong. And supporting her husband Marian Walter (now guest principal with Staatsballett Berlin) when he suffered from Long COVID for a long time certainly wasn't easy as well. I'm sure she will be a wonderful Odette/Odile.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, capybara said:

I get that (and Iana is lovely) but it does serve to emphasise either the ‘gaps’ at the top of ENB or a weakness in bringing on talent within the ranks - probably both!

Or possibly a number of illnesses/injuries?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capybara said:

Is it really in doubt that there are gaps at the top of ENB? They just lost most of their star talent (Cojocaru, Hernandez, Rojo), one of the replacements they brought in left in less than 6 months with them (Kochetkova). The have lost a few others at the top level too over the pandemic - Cirio/Dronina etc. This is a serious depletion of talent. Hopefully some of the younger dancers will come through and establish themselves, but there is a clear lack of experienced top rank dancers. I am guessing they don't have the finances to bring in others either too, so guests to spice up the roster and bringing on talent is probably a wise move. 

Also my impression of Deane from the documentary about a decade ago, is that he loves a guest 'star'. 

• Like 1

I am thrilled that Iana Salenko has been brought in to partner Gabriele Frola … he really deserves someone of her elite calibre.  

I have rushed to buy tickets for her first show. It is a coup for ENB to secure her.

You may remember that Iana was a regular guest at RB to partner Steven McRae back when there were not suitable small dancers for him.  

She has the most incredibly secure and beautiful technique .. her adagio and her fouettés are a thing of wonder.  And she is always the star choice for the final piece at the annual Ballet Icons gala.  (Often partnered by Daniel Simkin).  

In the Nureyev gala she performed the Bayadere pdd (partnered by Xander Parish) with extraordinary poise and controlled movement which bode well for an exquisite Odette. 

She is Steven McRae’s regular partner on the annual outdoor summer galas ‘Verdensballetten’ that he arranges in Denmark.  Here they are rehearsing for summer 2022 … https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfEdM-KlaBs/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

She is a whole level above any other ballerina at ENB.  I hope you can still get tickets.   Do anything to get one!   You will regret it if you miss out on seeing her in the UK.  

Edited by FionaE
  • Like 3