Nureyev: Legend and Legacy, September 2022 - and stream on Marquee TV

Great news, I have just received an email from Marquee TV with upcoming programming, and they will be showing this Gala.  It says it will be a ticked event and they will send further details soon.

I had the good fortune to see Nureyev dance many times.  He had the quality of a big cat such as a panther, amazing leaps with soft landings.  Such technique was a revelation then, but is now an expected benchmark of a male principal.  However few today match Nureyev's charisma.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Add sentence
  • Like 4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Great news, I have just received an email from Marquee TV with upcoming programming, and they will be showing this Gala.  It says it will be a ticked event and they will send further details soon.

Thanks PdQ - more details in an article in Links today:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I had the good fortune to see Nureyev dance many times.  He had the quality of a big cat such as a panther, amazing leaps with soft landings.  Such technique was a revelation then, but is now an expected benchmark of a male principal.  However few today match Nureyev's charisma.

Stream Nureyev: Legend and Legacy | Marquee TV

4 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

And well done, @Sophoife!! Also thumbs up to Mr. Pritchard, who obviously listens to his readers and is fair enough to reconsider his words. Rare these days. ❤️

Rare indeed.  I sent an email to Culture Whisper a few months ago, politely pointing out an error, and never had the courtesy of a reply, or even an acknowledgement of my communication.  Very poor.

I have to laugh though @Sim, because I posted the comment, awaited moderation, and it disappeared. I posted it again, awaited moderation again, and it disappeared again. Then I got the email. I believe he guessed my intention: continuing to post the comment until something happened 😂 Never underestimate a determined woman...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sophoife said:

I have to laugh though @Sim, because I posted the comment, awaited moderation, and it disappeared. I posted it again, awaited moderation again, and it disappeared again. Then I got the email. I believe he guessed my intention: continuing to post the comment until something happened 😂 Never underestimate a determined woman...

Absolutely!  💪💪👏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

It's funny, Nureyev has been likened to several animals, I too have always thought of him as a panther, slightly dangerous 🙂

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Sim said:

Rare indeed.  I sent an email to Culture Whisper a few months ago, politely pointing out an error, and never had the courtesy of a reply, or even an acknowledgement of my communication.  Very poor.

4 hours ago, Sophoife said:

😂 Never underestimate a determined woman...

Indeed. I sent a long letter to this Dance Europe Magazine, where I told them my issues I had with their June/July issue, the article about Munich Ballet Week in particular. I didn't get a response for 4 weeks and thought they are out of business too. But then I saw them posting on instagram. It took 3 emails, 2 from my business account (to get more attention😀), and then I got a frosty reply from Emma Kauldhar. I spare you the details - I took it that I hit some nails. Seems they don't appreciate feedback from their readers. And off I am.

• Like 2

Well, @Sabine0308, I am a firm believer in speaking up when I believe something is wrong, either factually or morally.

I am also a firm believer in the basic courtesy of acknowledging receipt of communications, whether on paper or via "the internets".

With a publication that last can, in my experience, be difficult to achieve. So well done for getting a response, however frosty.

To drag this discussion somewhat near to the topic, I will try to see this gala on Marquee - although some of what they have is geoblocked in Australia.

Oh, and Nureyev? I saw him dance des Grieux in 1974. Not surprised the role wasn't included in the gala, he only danced it half a dozen times I believe. 

• Like 2

On 07/09/2022 at 17:53, Sabine0308 said:

A bit info on Iana Salenko:

Iana was coming to London after her Giselle performance the evening before. So I guess there was not a lot of time for rehearsal. She is so tiny yet so strong, with her 3 boys and her husband Marian Walter who suffers from Long Covid. And she was  very busy with the Ballet for life gala last year (supporting people in Ukraine). I admire her tremendously, but sometimes I fear for her health and if she is doing too much. Giving birth to her second child almost cost her life.  Iana and Marian are scheduled to dance as Tatjana and Onegin in October. I keep my fingers crossed especially for Marian.

You’re right, Sabine0308. Iana was dancing Giselle on Sunday night (I checked- it wasn’t Saturday but indeed  Sunday) then flew in to London on an early flight the next morning, rehearsed quickly then it was straight on stage that night!

She’s astounding- most principals don’t even dance the next day, let alone getting up early to go to the airport, carry a few days’ worth of clothes, warm up clothing and boots, ballet shoes (and possibly having to hold  her own tutu in hand luggage), etc, dancing that night, and then doing not one but two shows the following day. I would have applauded her for being able to make it on to the stage to do just one arabesque!

I wasn’t able to be there on Monday night but she and Xander were beautiful on Tuesday.....that haunted, distant feel where they deliberately didn’t look each other in the eyes is exactly what the La Bayadere shades scene pas de deux should be-it’s not Black Swan or Don Q. The detached feel some reviewers got on Monday was possibly  due to the orchestra distracting them as you really had to concentrate on cutting out views of the orchestra and imagine they’re in a huge empty expanse of Solor’s dream (and also pretend it’s a much bigger stage.)

She’s also petite while Xander is very tall, so he often has to support her while in plié on bent knee so as not to tower over her. I thought they were both wonderful and hope they’ll be invited to guest in more future performances- Iana was stunning as Steven McRae’s partner some years ago in Giselle, Sleeping Beauty, Don Quixote, The Two Pigeons and The Nutcracker, while Xander was brilliant in Le Spectre de la Rose dancing Nijinsky’s role at the Coliseum and other roles with the Mariinsky such as Jean de Brienne (I was sad not to have been able to catch his Albrecht as a guest at ENB with Laurretta Summerscales).  

Hope Marian makes a full recovery from his long Covid - it’s a horrid condition to have.They’ve got a lot on their plate, with their youngest son still under one year old, but both are wonderful artists on stage and delightful together.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2

On 08/09/2022 at 13:37, Dawnstar said:

All the reviews I've read had nothing but praise for Praetorius & Frola in the Flower Festival In Genzano extract apart from the Gramilano one which has a sentence I don't really understand. "That said, I think some purists would have questions concerning certain interpretations of the choreography and musicality." I'd never heard of the piece before this gala, let alone seen it, so I have no idea how it's supposed to be interpreted. Can anyone who knows the piece elucidate?

They’re subtle details in the steps, which beats of the music a step was done on-a coach from the Royal Danish Ballet school or who has danced the Bournonville repertoire a lot might find fault and insist they be corrected but in the context of this gala I don’t  have a problem with it (and I’ve seen Flower Festival over a hundred times -it’s one of my favourite pas de deux). I thought their performances were brilliant-what matters is their artistry and how they communicate with the audience. Also, the fact that Ida had very, very late notice to fly in and replace Emma Hawes, that it’s impossible (possibly churlish) to ask why the performance wasn’t more perfect or polished. I thought it was outstanding considering she hasn’t been at Royal Danish Ballet this season so wouldn’t have danced the pas de deux with RDB for some time, and the minimal rehearsal time she and Frola had. Nehemiah Kish rehearsed Frola and Hawes (I don’t know how much time Praetorius had with Kish and Frola) and he was previously principal dancer at Royal Danish Ballet for a long time, although he trained at National Ballet of Canada’s school rather than RDB’s. 

I think Matthew Paluch was trying to say it wasn’t a textbook correct interpretation if audiences were expecting that, but that he thought they were great- his was actually one of the most enthusiastic and positive reviews, and I think reflects best the quality and passion the dancers and musicians put on stage. 

With regard “textbook correctness”, there are far more quibbles when New York City Ballet dancers - many who worked with Balanchine himself - watch filmed or live performances of Balanchine ballets by some non NYCB companies/dancers and go into paroxysms of dismay, horror or both about how incorrect it all was, although the performance looks entertaining enough (and sells a lot of DVDs!). I hear/read the occasional ones about Ashton ballet performances not being correct either (whether at Royal Ballet or other companies)- perhaps we need to quibble more about the details, but then very often we are just so grateful for small mercies- that someone is even reviving the ballets at all......

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I loved the Flower Festival pas de deux - would that we saw it more often, as the RB used to do it - but a quibble - it would have been good if Frola could have worn the correct Bournonville shoes.  I really missed them as they emphasise the beautiful, fast footwork even more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jm365 said:

- it would have been good if Frola could have worn the correct Bournonville shoes.  I really missed them as they emphasise the beautiful, fast footwork even more.

Pardon the ignorance...what would he correct Bournonville shoes look like? (So I can notice when I watch the stream)

19 hours ago, jm365 said:

I loved the Flower Festival pas de deux - would that we saw it more often, as the RB used to do it - but a quibble - it would have been good if Frola could have worn the correct Bournonville shoes.  I really missed them as they emphasise the beautiful, fast footwork even more.

Oh yes, you’re right, jm365, those Bournonville shoes would have been a lovely finishing touch-I wonder if they’ve become more difficult to order or purchase since Nikolaj Hubbe started rebooting/modernising the Bournonville ballets in Royal Danish Ballet’s repertoire. There can’t be many people ordering them now. 

Hubbe’s productions meant they jettisoned the traditional costumes and footwear that fans loved so much (although I see that some of the traditional costumes eg Napoli have been retained for tours or galas....not all of them though). The male leads seem to all end up looking like impoverished peasants in many of the productions -eg Albrecht, Gennaro in Napoli, and Carelis in The Kermesse in Bruges seem to have interchangeable outfits and shoes!

I must say I didn’t notice Frola’s costumes or shoes till they were almost finished as I was completely transfixed by his jumps, batterie and turns.....and those glorious neat finishes into fifth position - heavenly! And I just didn’t want to blink at all when Ida was dancing as I’d waited 10 years to see her dance. 

• Like 4

On 09/09/2022 at 11:48, jmhopton said:

There was a mention in one of the articles in yesterdays links that it will be free to Marquee subscribers from October. As I subscribe I might wait for this.

I emailed Marquee about this being free and the reply I got only mentioned the 16-26 Sept paying period though I was clearly asking about October. I'm sure it will be free to subscribers eventually like the original Putrov Ukraine concert was and still is but I think I will pay the extra subscription just in case.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jane S said:

This link shows how the shoes are made today in the RDB's costume workshop:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcFZGKyAL4j/?hl=en

Thanks, Jane S! I always assumed that freelance dancers got shoe companies to do it for them, although a resident ballet company with dyeing resources in their headquarters or home theatre could dye them in bulk. She makes it look so easy, though I suspect it takes practice not to get wonky or asymmetrical lines. 😆

Looking at the photos of Nureyev dancing Flower Festival in Genzano again, I notice he didn’t wear the Bournonville shoes, so I guess Frola and Kish were indeed being authentic at using what Nureyev would have worn! 

Interesting bit- I notice that after Peter Martins and Peter Schaufuss left the Royal Danish Ballet to dance abroad, Peter Martins stopped using the Bournonville shoes when he danced or staged Flower Festival, Kermesse in Bruges and other Bournonville ballets, while Schaufuss always stuck to tradition and wore them when guesting or performing on television, as well as having them in his Bournonville productions for other companies. 

14 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Looking at the photos of Nureyev dancing Flower Festival in Genzano again, I notice he didn’t wear the Bournonville shoes, so I guess Frola and Kish were indeed being authentic at using what Nureyev would have worn!

Good point - thanks.

I hope everyone who's going today enjoys it.  I'm going to have a night off, since I have a busy week ahead.

• Like 1

Quick thoughts on the matinee while I’m waiting for my train.

My Mum has a category of dancers she calls ‘jumpy men’. This category existed of Tzu Chao-Chou and Marcelino Sambé, and now also consists of César Corrales. I see what people meant about the orchestra; he needs the whole stage. His turns were out of this world, I was spellbound.

Natascha Mair had a bad stumble towards the end of her Sleeping Beauty solo, and had to use a hand on the floor to keep herself from properly tumbling, but she recovered. Her and Vadim Muntagirov did some splendid fish dives. 

Frola and Hawes were brilliant. As Frola’s been highly complimented I feel  other’s words have been enough. Hawes has an excellent musicality, and both of them were acting and playing their parts well.

These are my ‘quick thoughts’, though they are longer than I intended them to be. But all in all I’ve had a very good day. 

• Like 7

Well that cheered me. Some new pieces & dancers, a live orchestra. Agree stage was too small and where we sat (balcony) that meant we couldn’t see the dancers easily when they moved front.

Beautiful theatre though and what a lovely audience - no mobiles, talking etc. I still don’t agree with bringing glasses into the auditorium.

My mother, who did see Nureyev with Fonteyn, thoroughly enjoyed the whole show. I was moved by the Bayadere piece and the Don Juan and found the bravura pieces thrilling.

Hope that Mair was ok after that slip - she finished like a true professional.

• Like 6

In the interval of an absolutely joyous evening.

Fittingly, in an evening celebrating Nureyev the repertoire is letting the gentlemen shine (and soar) and I thought Frola absolutely outstanding with a charm to disguise the difficulty, Ivenko charismatically charming and Corrales possibly closest of all to the hero of the hour with his shamelessly extrovert brilliance. Some have expressed disappointment with Parish and I did wonder if he might be just past his prime years but the strength and eloquence of his partnering (such attention to arms and hands with his ballerina) were exemplary and testament to his schooling and experience. Looking forward to Part 2.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Joy continued post interval. Muntagirov, solicitously guiding what seemed a nervous partner, showed yet again his meticulous technique and elegance even when negotiating Nureyev’s turning pas de chats in the Coda. I have vivid memories of Nureyev completely out dancing Patricia Ruane (with whose beauty I was in my teenage years rather besotted) at this point. His really is the art that conceals art.

Bracewell, so musicianly and elegant was the only one tonight (or so it seemed to me) to show some of the emotional vulnerability, even ambiguity, that could be part of Nureyev’s stage personality. For me, Trusch, opposite a glacially imposing Cojocaru, was the only one seemingly subservient to his partner, perhaps not inappropriately given the scenario and it was good to be reminded of the haunting originality both of Neumeier’s choreography and Gluck’s music (the interpolated Victoria was very beautiful too). Finally, Corrales again at his most scene stealingly astonishing.

As for the Ladies, “God bless them,” for me, Cojocaru made the strongest impression, although Makhateli and Hawes had charm in abundance. Naghdi glittered, although her foutées travelled in what I thought an uncharacteristic manner and not for the first time I was niggled by technical issues (a struggle with the high arabesque á la seconde, some awkward entrechats) from Hayward who floats through the technical issues of Ashton but can seem oddly unsure in the classics. 

Yes, the orchestra on stage could be a distraction; yes, the stage area was compromised; but it was still a wonderful evening and the spoken words of the dancers in the film after the interval made me want to revisit the legacy of Nureyev, both as dancer and man. 

Surely, a celebratory Gala should seek to do exactly that.

Bravo to Kish and his team,

Edited by Jamesrhblack
  • Like 10

43 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

There were no announcements and no cast sheets. It was certainly Corrales for Sambé. Does anybody know if Emma Hawes was back?

Yes, she was and I very much enjoyed her performance 

• Like 1