The BBC sounds the death knell for BBC4

It's been under threat for some time, but the BBC has announced that BBC4, along with Radio 4 Extra and something else, is going to be online only in the future :(  So I guess that's pretty much the end of it, unless - whisper - they revert to the old system of actually putting their arts programming on BBC2 where people might actually SEE it, rather than ghettoising it.  Given that they originally argued that BBC3, as the "youth" channel, was the best one to put online because its target audience was generally plugged into the internet 24/7 anyway, clearly the decision to put BBC4, whose audience is probably significantly older, on there is not a clever one.  Will this be the BBC dumbing down even further than it already has?  What about the work of national performing organisations, such as the RSC, National Theatre and, of course, the Royal Ballet/Opera - are they all to be digitally excluded from a significant percentage of the population, and so become more "elitist"?

I'm not sure how we're going to manage to keep track of the programmes we usually put in the "terrestrial TV" thread, given how difficult the online schedules have been to follow.  And I've also just thought that if it's online I won't be able to record anything to watch at my leisure :( 

• Like 15

This is an utter disaster. I probably watch more on BBC4 (science, art, history etc) than all the other channels put together. I'll have to work out the iPlayer on my telly, but it's not the same as having a listing on the channel selector and doing a series link

• Like 10

It is  a very great shame. But not a spontaneous decision surely -I understand the BBC is having to find nearly £2.8m in savings having had its budget cut in real terms year after year.

true - but they always seem to cut the things I like! They are making me paranoid!! Some while back they threatened to kill 6Music, but fortunately it survived and indeed now thrives. Sadly, I don't think BBC4 will do likewise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

Down with this sort of thing!

How did they rescue 6 Music and how can we do the same for BBC4?

HUGE protests, supported by many musicians, making an awful lot of noise. The publicity drew an increased audience to the station; interested to hear why people were so avidly saying it was a great station, found out for themselves, and stuck with it and so increased the listening figures so it could not longer be closed. And most are still there.

Not sure BBC4 will have that level of enthusiam sadly. I love it cos it shows interesting documentaries etc, and no reality TV or soaps or progs with public votes. Which makes me a part of a 'niche' audience I guess, which the BBC used to be v good at catering for

Just be another thing gone that used to make life bearable

• Like 5

4 hours ago, alison said:

And I've also just thought that if it's online I won't be able to record anything to watch at my leisure :( 

That was my first thought when I read the news earlier. Very disappointing to no longer be able to record any programmes to watch or re-watch in the future.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mary said:

It is  a very great shame. But not a spontaneous decision surely -I understand the BBC is having to find nearly £2.8m in savings having had its budget cut in real terms year after year.

Funny how license fee payers money is readily available for trashy 'sluts-r-us' type reality TV series!! Playing to the lowest common denominator; the BBC is becoming yet another guilty party aiding & abetting the bringing down of society's moral compass in this country! IMHO....

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

That was my first thought when I read the news earlier. Very disappointing to no longer be able to record any programmes to watch or re-watch in the future.

Not exactly  the same as recording via the TV, but an internet search reveals various programs that can be used to record online streams.

Edited by Richard LH

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Not exactly  the same as recording via the TV, but an internet search reveals various programs that can be used to record online streams.

I've tried to find out if this was possible in the past but wasn't able to find any free software that worked & didn't want to spend a fair amount of money on paid software with no means of knowing whether it would work.

I may have misunderstood timings but aren’t these changes proposed to come into effect in at least 3 years? That gives time to debate the proposals and to respond to any BBC consultation. And who knows whether a new Government would be determined to abolish the licence fee or what funding arrangements might be put in place from 2027. I hope we’ll have a very different Culture Secretary way before then, the sooner the better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

I've tried to find out if this was possible in the past but wasn't able to find any free software that worked & didn't want to spend a fair amount of money on paid software with no means of knowing whether it would work.

I think if you try again and search say for "record online streams" various options will come up, including  free software versions. The latter are  usually  subject to  some limitations (such as recording time) but at least give an opportunity to try out before deciding on whether or not to purchase the fully featured version.   

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2022 at 19:41, Shade said:

Terrible news- I have learnt so much from this channel - music, art, dance, science. One of the few that does not patronise the audience.

Well this is what comes of having my MP in the Cabinet. Never mind a postage stamp, what she knows about culture and the arts would fit onto a pinhead.

• Like 3

On 27/05/2022 at 14:16, Dawnstar said:

OBS Studio works very well. You will also need a Mirabox and something that outputs a TV picture to HDMI. I use my PVR and/or DVD recorder. The Mirabox also says you can use Potplayer which is easier to setup than OBS Studio, but this only works with M$ Windows and I don't think this has the ability to schedule recordings. If you want to edit your recordings (clipping out commercials, etc) Shotcut is the way to go. I think Shotcut can record from a source like Mirabox, but I didn't spend the time to investigate. Run all this on Linux for a completely free experience, or use your Mac or Windows box.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trog said:

OBS Studio works very well. You will also need a Mirabox and something that outputs a TV picture to HDMI. I use my PVR and/or DVD recorder. The Mirabox also says you can use Potplayer which is easier to setup than OBS Studio, but this only works with M$ Windows and I don't think this has the ability to schedule recordings. If you want to edit your recordings (clipping out commercials, etc) Shotcut is the way to go. I think Shotcut can record from a source like Mirabox, but I didn't spend the time to investigate. Run all this on Linux for a completely free experience, or use your Mac or Windows box.

I'm afraid that sounds far too complicated for me. I would want something simple like Total Recorder, which I've used for year to record radio broadcasts. It's just a single programme which I paid somewhere around £10 for back in the mid-2000s & am still using, no other software or hardware required.

• Like 1

The BBC is so far out of touch with its viewing demographic it's unbelievable. This is a terrible idea. I remember there was a popular uprising that saved BBC6 music - maybe something similar can be achieved here. But I recently forked out £159 for an organisation that seems to despise me and everything about me! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm afraid that sounds far too complicated for me. I would want something simple like Total Recorder, which I've used for year to record radio broadcasts. It's just a single programme which I paid somewhere around £10 for back in the mid-2000s & am still using, no other software or hardware required.

I have also had Total Recorder for a long time.  Around 2012 they provided a free video add on which would allow you to do screen recording.  Below is the message they sent at the time.  You'd need your registration name and original registration key.   If you no longer have your registration information they'll email it to you on request. 

We have released a new edition of Total Recorder - VideoPro Edition, which combines the functionality of Total Recorder Professional Edition and its Video Add-on.

Licensed users of Total Recorder Professional Edition and Video Add-on are eligible to upgrade to the VideoPro Edition for free. Total Recorder VideoPro Edition version 8.3 is available at:
http://www.highcriteria.ca/download/tr83ve.exe

I believe there is a more up to date version now but you might possibly have to make a further small payment.  It's worth checking with them.

Edited to add their email address: support@highcriteria.com

Edited by Bluebird
  • Thanks 1

I am appalled by this.  BBC4 is my favourite channel, and the only one I tune into regularly, knowing that I will always find something of interest on there.   As far as I am concerned, it is the only channel that fulfils the original aims - to inform, educate and entertain.

Strange how they can find the money to resurrect BBC3, yet can't keep BBC4 going.  Not sure what is on the former, not really looked at it yet.  But I am prepared to be it doesn't have the variety of programmes that BBC4 has.  

From what I've just seen of BBC3's output (and deducing the sort of person likely to watch it), that channel's demographic would be far more likely to use a digital-only service, and probably do most of the time anyway. Why they can't digitise that one and keep BBC4 is a mystery to me.

Common sense has gone out of the window.

3 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong - wasn't BBC 3 put online for some years and only recently restored as a TV Channel?

Yes it was and yes it has been recently restored to terrestrial TV.  You would think the BBC would have learned from its mistakes...

• Like 1