Royal Ballet's Swan Lake (Spring 2022)

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Unless employment law has changed since I left work, redundancies (even voluntary ones) are usually for specific posts that are being lost and the positions cannot be filled.

I think (and I may be out of date on this, or just plain wrong) you're not allowed to "re-fill" "redundant" posts for 6 months after the redundancy takes effect. 

• Like 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful performance tonight from Naghdi/Ball.  Deeply emotional, lovely chemistry and gorgeous dancing.  Huge kudos to Miss Naghdi who has danced this three times in less than a week, with two of the performances in 48 hours.  Brava to her!

Lovely photos as always, Rob!  

• Like 19

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Beautiful performance tonight from Naghdi/Ball.  Deeply emotional, lovely chemistry and gorgeous dancing.  Huge kudos to Miss Naghdi who has danced this three times in less than a week, with two of the performances in 48 hours.  Brava to her!

yes a wonderful performance and huge kudos indeed for achieving that in such a short turnaround. I must confess that for me, whenever Yasmine is dancing, time seems to stand still. When I leave the theatre, I'm always left wanting more - and now! Will have to wait until the 19th though

• Like 12

Guest oncnp
29 minutes ago, alison said:

Oh good - you mean she may get a rest? :) 

Depends if Nunez can dance on Thurs? A huge ask of Naghdi but would they give Muntagirov another new partner? 

Edited by oncnp

25 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Depends if Nunez can dance on Thurs. A huge ask of Naghdi but would they give Muntagirov another new partner? 

As someone with tickets, I hope Nela dances, if not I hope they may put in Fumi (but that's my own wishful thinking).

• Like 4

21 hours ago, LinMM said:

It’s interesting to note talking about the younger dancers that on the RB Dancers page not all dancers with the Company are listed! 
A dancer who keeps catching my eye at the moment in the Corps is Viola Pantuso . 
I saw her at extreme left side of stage ( from audience point of view) at the front in many of the Swan formations. 
I couldn’t remember her full name initially but was sure she was an Aud Jebsen  joiner but she is not listed on the website currently as neither are Alix van Tiggelen Ava May Llewelyn and Olivia Findlay. There are Aud Jebsen dancers listed on the site but not these four. 
Anyway Alix also catches my eye as well on occasions. 
I’d also like to mention Harrison Lee(Australian). He has a really good classical line and style and hope he gets a chance for more roles soon. 
I don’t know who the taller of the four male Spanish dancers was on Friday night but he stood out for me in that group though they were all good….and what great music to dance to! 

I noticed that the website is really out of date, but the printed programmes on sale have the new Aud Jebsen dancers’ names and photos. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sim said:

It's Matthew Ball!  :)

I was reading earlier reports about the Naghdi/ Muntagirov performance and just assumed it was him, especially as someone else had mentioned his bouffant hair.  I thought he looked a bit different in the photo, but it was only when I went back and had another look that I realised my mistake. 😂 

Having said that, sometimes I have trouble picking out the men under all the makeup, especially if I haven't seen much of a particular individual. I am the same with many of the ladies, too.  

Edited to add my Brylcreem remark still stands........

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

Having said that, sometimes I have trouble picking out the men under all the makeup, especially if I haven't seen much of a particular individual. I am the same with many of the ladies, too. 

I find headgear even more disguising than makeup when I'm trying to identify dancers. I spent the entire Mazurka last night wishing that the dancers weren't in those furry hats! I eventually manage to identify all 3 women but the identity of one of the men eluded me.

I thought last night's performance was very good but, as I was expecting, suffered slightly from being the next performance for me after Friday's very special performance. I really enjoyed Ball's solo during the Act I/Act II transition, not only in itself but as a sort of reassurance that, in the light of Bonelli's retirement, there will always be other younger dancers continuing to perform.

(The following may sound daft.) There was a play at the National a few seasons ago called "Grief Is The Thing With Feathers". I didn't see it & have no idea what it's about but the title stuck in my mind & both on Friday & last night I thought of it as a rather apt description of Odette during Act IV!

• Like 9

Did you access that FT review in the end Alison? 
I still can’t access it without subscribing either and can’t see where you would put the name of the review to read as a guest but I’ve only phone access to read it. 

38 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Did you access that FT review in the end Alison? 
I still can’t access it without subscribing either and can’t see where you would put the name of the review to read as a guest but I’ve only phone access to read it. 

Try googling Financial Times Royal Ballet Swan Lake review

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that’s exciting for him anyway. 

Janet that worked!!! Have now successfully read the review Many thanks! 
I’m glad she mentioned Scarlett in the way she did and hope we eventually get to see some of his other works as time passes. 
Her gripes with the ballet plot itself were essentially the same as mine though not sure she got the full glory of Fumi’s debut across in the end! 

Edited by LinMM

On 07/03/2022 at 09:03, LinMM said:

It’s interesting to note talking about the younger dancers that on the RB Dancers page not all dancers with the Company are listed! 
A dancer who keeps catching my eye at the moment in the Corps is Viola Pantuso . 
I saw her at extreme left side of stage ( from audience point of view) at the front in many of the Swan formations. 
I couldn’t remember her full name initially but was sure she was an Aud Jebsen  joiner but she is not listed on the website currently as neither are Alix van Tiggelen Ava May Llewelyn and Olivia Findlay. There are Aud Jebsen dancers listed on the site but not these four. 
Anyway Alix also catches my eye as well on occasions. 
I’d also like to mention Harrison Lee(Australian). He has a really good classical line and style and hope he gets a chance for more roles soon. 
I don’t know who the taller of the four male Spanish dancers was on Friday night but he stood out for me in that group though they were all good….and what great music to dance to! 

I noticed Viola for the first time in the Giselle rehearsal footage for World Ballet Day. Judging from the clips I have seen she is a lovely dancer who exudes an ethereal delicacy. She appears to have a solid technique and exceptionally articulate feet. Oh, and her face! She's just beautiful and I predict her star will rise quickly. Would love to see her as Juliet some day!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

I forgot to mention Bennet Gartside’s fantastic Rothbart! Very remiss….

Benn is my favourite Rothbart.  It's amazing how such a nice and warm person can be so horribly cold, menacing and unpleasant when he's in character.   He's also my ballet teacher (he's amazing to learn with)  and I always get such a kick seeing him perform.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Joonhyuk Jun has posted on Instagram that he will dance Benno on Friday (Magri/Corrales cast) 😊

JJ will be interesting to watch though I’m disappointed not to be seeing a full run through from Calvin Richardson who danced/marked Benno at the General. 

Edited by PeterS
Clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

Try googling Financial Times Royal Ballet Swan Lake review

It worked!  I don't know why, since that's pretty much what I've been doing for ages, but what the heck.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Joonhyuk Jun has posted on Instagram that he will dance Benno on Friday (Magri/Corrales cast) 😊

I'm sure he'll be good but I was hoping to see Richardson, given he was on the cast list for the public rehearsal. Does anyone know which cast Richardson is actually going to perform with then? (I've been kicked out by Instagram so can't currently see any casting info that dancers may have posted.)

3 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

ooh that's exciting! He's very underused, but I always thought that his lead mandolin dancer was a highlight in R&J

Yes, he was amazing in that role, a real highlight of the night, I can see him being a standout as Benno too. His elevation was insane!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm sure he'll be good but I was hoping to see Richardson, given he was on the cast list for the public rehearsal. Does anyone know which cast Richardson is actually going to perform with then? (I've been kicked out by Instagram so can't currently see any casting info that dancers may have posted.)

How does one get kicked out by Instagram?! Mind you I got kicked off YouTube last year...

15 hours ago, Sophoife said:

How does one get kicked out by Instagram?! Mind you I got kicked off YouTube last year...

I'm baffled. All I ever post are flower photos & curtain call photos & I'm sure no-one could find any of those offensive! All taken by me, so no copyright issues either. I've appealed - in order to do so you have to send them a photo of yourself holding a piece of paper with a code they send written on it, which feels like a hostage photo! - and ma waiting to hear back from them. Since most of the RB dancers only use Instagram, it's extremely annoying not being able to see their posts about Swan Lake.

• Like 2

Perhaps there’s someone else with your name and they’ve blocked the wrong account. I know for example there’s someone living in the same Brighton postcode as me who not only has my first and surname but my middle name as well!!! Freaky! 
Sometimes on Facebook people can block you maliciously but it doesn’t usually take long for such blocks to be lifted. Its only ever happened once to me about three years ago I think I upset somebody with my comments regarding Brexit on a Pro EU site! Though I didn’t say anything personal. Some people just don’t like you disagreeing with them. 

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I'm baffled. All I ever post are flower photos & curtain call photos & I'm sure no-one could find any of those offensive! All taken by me, so no copyright issues either. I've appealed - in order to do so you have to send them a photo of yourself holding a piece of paper with a code they send written on it, which feels like a hostage photo! - and ma waiting to hear back from them. Since most of the RB dancers only use Instagram, it's extremely annoying not being able to see their posts about Swan Lake.

It happened to me twice - its a bit of a rigmarole to be reinstated and I asked why I had been kicked off. IG apologised and said it was nothing I had done - it was just random!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

How annoying for you - I hope they put it right quickly. If it's any comfort to you, there are currently many fewer posts than usual from the dancers I follow (I imagine because of the Ukraine situation).

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Perhaps there’s someone else with your name and they’ve blocked the wrong account. I know for example there’s someone living in the same Brighton postcode as me who not only has my first and surname but my middle name as well!!! Freaky! 
Sometimes on Facebook people can block you maliciously but it doesn’t usually take long for such blocks to be lifted. Its only ever happened once to me about three years ago I think I upset somebody with my comments regarding Brexit on a Pro EU site! Though I didn’t say anything personal. Some people just don’t like you disagreeing with them.

My Instagram username isn't my real name & you're not allowed to have the same username as anyone else on there so I don't think that could be the case. And I haven't had any disagreement with anyone on Instagram!

23 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I'm surprised to see Whitehead down for Von Rothbart. I'm sure that last week I saw Avis say that he was going to be Von Rothbart for the O'Sullivan & Osipova casts (not that I can check, because it was on Instagram!).

1 hour ago, Dawnstar said:

Oh yes, you didn't do anything wrong, this happened when they changed things over.

This happened to my old account and the app kept malfunctioning so I lost that account and had to make a new one. I only have it to follow ballet dancers and bookish people/authors on there.

• Like 1