Press Release: FIRST LOOK - English National Ballet's Raymonda by Tamara Rojo

The main members of the Raymonda cast shown and named on social media posts today are as follows:

Raymonda: Maria Kochetkova

Henriette: Shiori Kase

John de Bryan: Isaac Hernandez

Abdur Rahman: Fernando Caratala Coloma*

Sister Clemence: Alison McWhinney

Soldiers: Victor Prigent; Aitor Arietta

* but maybe Jeffrey Cirio is the first cast in this role?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXOtyh7NEC0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.facebook.com/EnglishNationalBallet/photos/pcb.10159146443476028/10159146425606028

[As the Raymonda casting was straying into other threads, I thought it worthwhile to start this separate one. While the source of information is ENB itself, it is probable that the photos offer an indication only.]

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Sorry mods, can you please remove the link I placed in my last post. I stupidly tried to post it straight from my Inbox rather than opening it and the link leads to my inbox not ENB! Technology isn't my forte!

Done!  

• Thanks 1

Header_Dec2019

English National Ballet
FIRST LOOK - Raymonda by Tamara Rojo
London Coliseum 
World Premiere: 13 - 23 January 2022
ballet.org.uk/raymonda

Ahead of the eagerly awaited world premiere of Raymonda by English National Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tamara Rojo CBE after Marius Petipa, a first look at the production is revealed today. 

Bringing the story into the setting of the Crimean war and drawing inspiration from the groundbreaking spirit and work of the women supporting the war effort, including Florence Nightingale, Rojo recasts Raymonda as a young woman with a calling to become a nurse in this new version of the classic ballet.

Rojo brings together a stellar production team for Raymonda with costume and set design by Antony McDonald, lighting design by Mark Henderson, dramaturgy by Lucinda Coxon, character dances by Vadim Sirotin, and choreology research and advice on the Sergeyev notation by Doug Fullington. Alexander Glazunov’s original score, adapted and edited by Gavin Sutherland and Lars Payne, will be performed live by English National Ballet Philharmonic.

Image Image
Image Image

English National Ballet in rehearsals for Raymonda by Tamara Rojo ahead of the world premiere on 13 January 2022 at the London Coliseum © Laurent Liotardo

1. Maria Kochetkova as Raymonda and Isaac Hernández as John de Bryan
  2. English National Ballet dancers as nurses 
  3. Maria Kochetkova as Raymonda and Isaac Hernández as John de Bryan
  4. Shiori Kase as Henriette 

Rehearsals took place in the Holloway Production Studio at English National Ballet’s east London home, the Mulryan Centre for Dance. This theatre sized space with fully fitted fly tower allows technical rehearsals with costumes and scenery to take place before arrival at a performance venue. 

Marking her debut in choreography and direction, Rojo adapts this 19th-century classic for today’s audiences, revisiting this important but rarely performed work of the ballet canon which is not, in its entirety, in any other UK dance companies’ repertoire. With a new narrative and developed characterisation bringing women’s voices to the fore, Rojo’s Raymonda introduces a heroine in command of her own destiny.

English National Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tamara Rojo CBE, said: “It continues to be a part of my vision for English National Ballet to look at classics with fresh eyes, to make them relevant, find new contexts, amplify new voices and ultimately evolve the art form. I have truly enjoyed delving into the creative process of adapting and choreographing a large-scale ballet.

“Raymonda is a beautiful ballet – extraordinary music, exquisite and intricate original choreography – with a female lead who I felt deserved more of a voice, more agency in her own story. Working with my incredible creative team, I have set Raymonda in a new historical context, adapting the narrative in order to bring something unique, relevant and inspiring to our audiences.

“This story is about many themes; duty, war, patriotism, culture, but at its centre are the nurse characters – inspired by Florence Nightingale’s vision, drive and passion. Reflecting on the last 18 months, we have seen how nurses, and many others in the medical sector, sacrifice so much to take care of other people and I hope this, in some small way, pays homage to them.”

Raymonda is a Co-Production between English National Ballet and Finnish National Opera and Ballet. Following its world premiere run at the London Coliseum from 13 - 23 January 2022, it will be performed on tour at Southampton’s Mayflower Theatre from 30 November – 03 December 2022. 

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

NatWest is Principal Partner of English National Ballet.

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet. 

Raymonda by Tamara Rojo, after Marius Petipa
A Co-Production between English National Ballet and Finnish National Opera and Ballet
Production Partner: Mayflower Theatre, Southampton

Production Sponsor: Cunard

Listings: 

Raymonda WORLD PREMIERE  
London Coliseum 
13 – 23 January 2022
www.ballet.org.uk/raymonda

Raymonda 
Mayflower Theatre, Southampton  
30 November – 03 December 2022
www.ballet.org.uk/raymonda

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet’s growth and evolution ever since. 

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages including The Bolshoi Theatre and Palais Garnier; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet’s Dance for Parkinson’s.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company’s repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before.
www.ballet.org.uk

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let’s Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package, with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support.  We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund an unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector.  Find out more at https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19

• Like 2

If it's wrong of me to start up this topic, moderators please remove!  But I noticed that several mentions of 'Raymonda' have been made within the 'Giselle' thread and I know that many of us will be looking forward to this production with great excitement.  So I thought maybe we could share our information and general enthusiasm a bit beforehand?  The first performance is on 13 January 2022.

I think this is a very bold and exciting venture for ENB and I very much hope all the investment of time, money and artistic enterprise pays off.  It's quite long.  Something for a dancer, and an audience, to get their metaphorical teeth into.  I love the way Rojo has slightly updated the scenario whilst not making it horribly modern; this is the reactionary in me writing!  What I mean is - the costumes are still visually interesting, even beautiful, not monochrome leotards.  And the updated story sounds worthwhile and intriguing.  I am already looking forward to January.

• Like 4

On 08/12/2021 at 17:59, capybara said:

The main members of the Raymonda cast shown and named on social media posts today are as follows:

Raymonda: Maria Kochetkova

Henriette: Shiori Kase

John de Bryan: Isaac Hernandez

Abdur Rahman: Fernando Caratala Coloma*

Sister Clemence: Alison McWhinney

Soldiers: Victor Prigent; Aitor Arietta

* but maybe Jeffrey Cirio is the first cast in this role?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXOtyh7NEC0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.facebook.com/EnglishNationalBallet/photos/pcb.10159146443476028/10159146425606028

[As the Raymonda casting was straying into other threads, I thought it worthwhile to start this separate one. While the source of information is ENB itself, it is probable that the photos offer an indication only.]

Shiori Kase was speaking earlier this evening during a Zoom event for ENB Friends and  Patrons. If I heard her correctly, (as she said it very quickly),  she said she'd be dancing Raymonda as well as Henriette.

• Like 3

I’ve been waiting for a full length Raymonda to be performed by a British company forever! The last full length Raymonda we had in the country was Grigorovich’s 1984 production for the Bolshoi Ballet, performed by them at the Coliseum in 1999. The score is wonderful, even if the original  libretto isn’t. Am very curious to see how Rojo’s version turns out. I’m so enthusiastic about it that I even bought tickets without knowing the casting! (I’ve never done that!) The social media clips have been fascinating.

• Like 4

Just now, Lizbie1 said:

That, as they say, is the $64,000 question!

😄 I guess it doesn't matter too much to me as I'm not really that familiar with the names but if there's any chance Tamara herself would have an onstage role maybe I'll keep an eye on booking levels while I wait

16 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

If it's wrong of me to start up this topic, moderators please remove!  But I noticed that several mentions of 'Raymonda' have been made within the 'Giselle' thread and I know that many of us will be looking forward to this production with great excitement.  So I thought maybe we could share our information and general enthusiasm a bit beforehand?  The first performance is on 13 January 2022.

Thanks.  I've merged the new thread with the existing thread on ENB's Raymonda to keep things together!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Emeralds said:

I’ve been waiting for a full length Raymonda to be performed by a British company forever! The last full length Raymonda we had in the country was Grigorovich’s 1984 production for the Bolshoi Ballet, performed by them at the Coliseum in 1999. The score is wonderful, even if the original  libretto isn’t. Am very curious to see how Rojo’s version turns out. I’m so enthusiastic about it that I even bought tickets without knowing the casting! (I’ve never done that!) The social media clips have been fascinating.

Same feeling here. Familiar with much of the music from taking RAD grade 6 back in the 90s - I’ve come to realise how much their music has educated me as well as the dancing!

At the moment there are a number of versions of Raymonda to watch on YouTube- Mariinsky with Xander Parrish, DNB’s updated version which tries to be a bit more D&I friendly and yet to watch La Scala but think they will all be good for thought when watching ENB in Jan. I have such high expectations and hope it meets them (especially the Act 3 character dancing which I am slightly baffled about in terms of the fit with the scenario).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

😄 I guess it doesn't matter too much to me as I'm not really that familiar with the names but if there's any chance Tamara herself would have an onstage role maybe I'll keep an eye on booking levels while I wait

I can't imagine she would.  Producing the ballet is probably quite enough work as it is.

(Is there a Lady in White in this version, I wonder?)

38 minutes ago, alison said:

I can't imagine she would.  Producing the ballet is probably quite enough work as it is.

(Is there a Lady in White in this version, I wonder?)

I ended up booking a seat ten minutes after my post, I might get lucky…c’mon double six!! 🎲🎲

21 hours ago, Blossom said:

Same feeling here. Familiar with much of the music from taking RAD grade 6 back in the 90s - I’ve come to realise how much their music has educated me as well as the dancing!

At the moment there are a number of versions of Raymonda to watch on YouTube- Mariinsky with Xander Parrish, DNB’s updated version which tries to be a bit more D&I friendly and yet to watch La Scala but think they will all be good for thought when watching ENB in Jan. I have such high expectations and hope it meets them (especially the Act 3 character dancing which I am slightly baffled about in terms of the fit with the scenario).

I love the La Scala version- I watched it so many times on YouTube that I went and paid for the whole DVD as the whole company were outstanding, with Novikova (so glad she was finally promoted to principal at the Mariinsky - long overdue) and Vogel especially wonderful as Raymonda and Jean de Brienne.

I am a bit baffled about some of  Dutch National Ballet’s publicity trailers- I’m not sure if they are saying she loves Abderakhman but is betrothed to Jean, which would be weird, but am happy to see what they’ve come up with when it eventually premieres (will have to read reviews as travel is not an option for me). 

The Mariinsky broadcast with Tereshkina and Parish as R & JdB which was made free on YouTube by the European tv station that did it was fantastic; Tereshkina is simply one of the best, and Parish is in top form- his excellent jumps look great on film. 

The score is as magnificent as the Tchaikovsky Three (as I call them) and Delibes’ Sylvia (which Tchaikovsky admired) and Coppélia... could listen to it all day long.

I have both high expectations like you, Blossom, possibly from the lack of full length Raymondas on stage here for over 2 decades. The character dances will be interesting- I wonder if Tamara will cut any of them out or put them in a different context. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, capybara said:

Yes, Sister Clemence

Looks like Sister Clemence is going to remain a major dancing role just like the original - Clemence, one of Raymonda’s friends.

Tamara could actually be Lady in White or whatever her new equivalent might be called, as it’s a mime cameo......? I doubt she will take on a dancing part as it’s such a big task doing a rebooted classic. 

Edited by Emeralds