Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet Spring Tour of Carlos Acosta's New Production of Don Quixote

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I think this requires further explanation!

It is a sort of a polished steel affair and is quite amazing!

This is not a very good picture but it may give you the idea.

Plymouth is a lovely city to wander around and the theatre is just down from the Hoe.  There is a Travelodge virtually next door and lots of guest houses in the roads leading up to the Hoe.

IMG_5634.thumb.JPG.72152a239a250084642e997233957f6f.JPG

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

It is a sort of a polished steel affair and is quite amazing!

This is not a very good picture but it may give you the idea.

Plymouth is a lovely city to wander around and the theatre is just down from the Hoe.  There is a Travelodge virtually next door and lots of guest houses in the roads leading up to the Hoe.

IMG_5634.thumb.JPG.72152a239a250084642e997233957f6f.JPG

Now, there is a Premier Inn opposite the theatre. Stayed there on last visit to see R&J

• Like 1

Wow that looks weird Jan. 
Plymouth and environs are great for w/end trip! Not far into Cornwall (over the bridge) are some lovely gardens one on side of river overlooking Plymouth and the train journey from London ( or Reading as I do now) is fab once you get past Exeter. Definitely worth a left side window seat ( left - from facing front of train) as the train follows two river estuaries and runs along by the side of the sea for a while so you can wave to people on the beach!! 
I’ve never been to the theatre in Plymouth but have rellies in Liskeard and Bodmin and been promising to take them to the Ballet but in Truro Hall which was closed for ages …for some reason I didn’t think of Plymouth so needs looking into as doubt BRB go to Truro? 
Just an aside I had an Apple update last night. I’ve ignored all the update messages so far but it’s got to iOS 15 now so thought I’d better do it and of course just as dreading everything looks different and couldn’t find Safari or the Forum for ages and then it  was accidental!! ( I suppose that’s how the kids learn ….without all the fear lol) 

Anyway could somebody tell me if this post looks larger print than usual as when following reset messages (😱)

think I reset it on zoom instead of standard? 

It's perfectly normal, Lin, don't worry.

I went to Plymouth for part of a holiday some years ago, and had a really weird "get me out of here! Now!" reaction as soon as I set foot in the place.  No idea what triggered it :(

• Like 1

I don’t really know Plymouth itself that well as only been there twice and two completely different locations ….I still haven’t been to the main shopping bit. 
Im usually passing through it on the way to somewhere else! 
It is weird how you get reactions like that sometimes …I took an immediate dislike to Gloucester when I went there about 20 years ago now and couldn’t wait to move on. 

7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Wow that looks weird Jan. 
Plymouth and environs are great for w/end trip! Not far into Cornwall (over the bridge) are some lovely gardens one on side of river overlooking Plymouth and the train journey from London ( or Reading as I do now) is fab once you get past Exeter. Definitely worth a left side window seat ( left - from facing front of train) as the train follows two river estuaries and runs along by the side of the sea for a while so you can wave to people on the beach!! 
I’ve never been to the theatre in Plymouth but have rellies in Liskeard and Bodmin and been promising to take them to the Ballet but in Truro Hall which was closed for ages …for some reason I didn’t think of Plymouth so needs looking into as doubt BRB go to Truro? 
Just an aside I had an Apple update last night. I’ve ignored all the update messages so far but it’s got to iOS 15 now so thought I’d better do it and of course just as dreading everything looks different and couldn’t find Safari or the Forum for ages and then it  was accidental!! ( I suppose that’s how the kids learn ….without all the fear lol) 

Anyway could somebody tell me if this post looks larger print than usual as when following reset messages (😱)

think I reset it on zoom instead of standard? 

The BRB midscale tour of fond memory went to Truro.  But that's gone by the board now, although Carlos Acosta has implied he would like to revive them...

• Like 2

Well I have booked for the Saturday matinee and am looking forward to a joyful show. I always find  Don Q uplifting. And I got 10% off. Show looks like it’s sold well. 

Edited by Shade
Addition
  • Like 2

Is the easiest way to the Lowry from London taking the train to Manchester Piccadilly then the Blue Line to MediaCity? Thinking about going between Swan Lakes if I can go up and back in a day.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, oncnp said:

Is the easiest way to the Lowry from London taking the train to Manchester Piccadilly then the Blue Line to MediaCity? Thinking about going between Swan Lakes if I can go up and back in a day.

Thanks!

I would say it's the only way unless you consider driving!

I've known people do a matinee and back in a day using that route before now.

If you do make the trip I have quite a few performances booked and it would be nice to say hello!

• Like 1

In an email from BRB, Christopher Saunders is listed as staging Don Q for them. Which makes me wonder just how different the 'new' production will be. It may become clearer tomorrow when Saunders is one of three speakers in a zoomed discussion of the new Don Q for BRB supporters.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

The casts for Don Q for performances in Birmingham, Salford, Sunderland and Plymouth are now on the website.

https://www.brb.org.uk/whats-on/event/don-quixote-2022

Thank you for posting this! I have booked a Sunderland performance and couldn’t be happier with the cast, especially since I had no choice which performance to go to. Now very excited! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Fingers crossed the casts are as published. It wasn’t the case for the Autumn performances in Plymouth, but I guess things are a little more settled now. 

I was talking to a friend yesterday and we both thought that the way casting has been formulated allows for the ongoing issues surrounding Covid.  I'm very happy with who I'm due to see in both Birmingham and at The Lowry.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, capybara said:

Two nights running for the leads in DonQ is a BIG ask of any dancer.

and the week before Swan Lake.

Just now, SheilaC said:

Not altogether a vote of confidence in his own dancers!  And Nela and Vadim won't be doing it for love- where's the extra money coming from?

Exactly Sheila!  It's 2 performances where BRB dancers are losing an opportunity.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SheilaC said:

Not altogether a vote of confidence in his own dancers!  And Nela and Vadim won't be doing it for love- where's the extra money coming from?

They may be going as representatives of the RB so would be part of their RB duties, rather than "guesting" with an extra paycheck. 

1 minute ago, oncnp said:

They may be going as representatives of the RB so would be part of their RB duties, rather than "guesting" with an extra paycheck. 

They may share the same board of governors but RB and BRB have been totally separate companies for donkeys years.

• Like 2