Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet Spring Tour of Carlos Acosta's New Production of Don Quixote

QlJCIGxvZ28ucG5n

SPRING 2022 HERALDS A UK TOUR OF CARLOS ACOSTA’S 

BRAND-NEW PRODUCTION OF DON QUIXOTE 

RE9OLVFVSVhPVEUtcGhvdG8gYnkgQmVsbGEgS290YWsgY29weS5qcGc=

For spring 2022, Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Director Carlos Acosta promises entertainment for all ages when he brings an explosion of Spanish sunshine, spectacular dance and vivacious comedy to stages across the country. 

In a new production created especially for Birmingham Royal Ballet and featuring all-new designs by Tim Hatley, Don Quixote introduces us to Cervantes’ famous knight himself, lovers Kitri and Basilio, and a host of supporting characters. As the Don sets out on a quest to track down his true love, with his loyal friend and servant Sancho Panza at his side, he finds himself embroiled in an unlikely adventure of love and dreams.

The first UK performances of Acosta’s sparkling new 21st-century production of this 19th-century masterpiece, featuring music by one of the founding fathers of Russian Ballet music Ludwig Minkus, performed live by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, take place in Southampton in February and the tour continues to Birmingham, Salford, Sunderland and Plymouth through to 19 March.  

Carlos Acosta's original production, his first full length ballet, was created for The Royal Ballet in 2013, and was last seen at the Royal Ballet in 2019. It has also been seen in cinemas all over the world. Carlos has been performing in Don Quixote since the age of 16 when he won the Prix de Lausanne so it’s very close to his heart but also a real crowd pleaser. As well as wanting to ensure this new version is suitable for touring, Acosta said:

“For this new production, I wanted to give it a completely new take and a new look to the one that I gave to the Royal Ballet so that Birmingham has its own. It’s a new production with new concept and designs, re-orchestration, new elements of the choreography, new colours, a whole new palette.

“This ballet is really popular with dancers,” he says. “It is a ballet for virtuosos. If you really have aspirations to become the best ballet dancer you can be, then you must have this ballet under your belt. Also it’s a production which gives opportunities to a large ballet company because there are a lot of roles for everyone in the company - for soloists, for corps members and principals so it’s a real showcase.”

Listings

DON QUIXOTE

Music Ludwig Minkus

Choreography Carlos Acosta after Marius Petipa

Production Carlos Acosta

Designs Tim Hatley

Lighting Peter Mumford

Staged by Christopher Saunders

Southampton Mayflower

Thursday 10 - Saturday 12 February

brb.org.uk/quixote

Birmingham Hippodrome

Friday 18 - Saturday 26 February

brb.org.uk/quixote

Salford Lowry

Wednesday 2 - Saturday 5 March

brb.org.uk/quixote

Sunderland Empire

Thursday 10 - Saturday 12 March

brb.org.uk/quixote

Plymouth Theatre Royal

Wednesday 16 - Saturday 19 March

brb.org.uk/quixote

Notes to Editors: 

Birmingham Royal Ballet

Based at Birmingham Hippodrome, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading touring ballet company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The Company’s Director since January 2020 is the internationally renowned Carlos Acosta.

Birmingham Royal Ballet standardly performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. On average, the Company performs 175 shows a year nationally and internationally.

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Birmingham Royal Ballet’s permanent orchestra, it is also Britain's busiest ballet orchestra. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and other leading ballet companies, including performances withParis Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, prs59 said:

I find it interesting that it is not ‘premiering’ in Birmingham but instead in Southampton.

The company has done a Southampton gig in January/February before the main Birmingham season for some years now.  They used to do that at the Lowry previously.

• Like 2

But it does annoy me that many productions there are only for three days!! 
It’s dodgy getting to Southampton for me anyway as it’s one of these Great Western trains often cancelled from Brighton to Bristol. There’s only two trains a day so can only get to a matinee in order to get back again! 
The good thing is although it takes about two hours it’s pretty much door to door as the theatre is only a few mins walk from the station in Southampton. I just wish they would have the shows for at least a week but obviously ballet doesn’t fill the theatre enough there. 

• Like 1

I’m so lucky that because I can stay in London I can do Birmingham in a day. 
I tend to want to go with the most RELIABLE route in the end and where there may be more trains. More likely to do Southampton in Spring and Summer! 

• Like 1

I *think* that in my neck of the woods at least (GWR land) they're beginning to get back to something like a normal schedule - certainly there finally some options appearing in the timetable for late trains at the weekend.

I'm not counting any chickens, though!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alison said:

Lucky you :)   We're still on 50%, and no trains at all on some routes still, which is why my journey home was such a horrendous experience last night :(

Sorry to hear that Alison- my line is back on normal timetable SWR

Yes Shade if I was doing Southampton would probably be the Saturday matinee ...though I haven’t looked to see if there is one yet! I just need to check the Southampton trains which pre pandemic used to leave around 9am. 
But there would only be that one train that would get me there!! Always a bit more dicey in the winter 😳 

• 2 months later...

Were I planning to go to see this production, which I am not, I have to say that some of the casting would not inspire me that much.  I am not a fan of Hirata, not least as I would have been hoping for Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton as the first cast.  Having said that, Brandon Lawrence would be a highly acceptable substitute.  

Edited by Two Pigeons

15 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

Were I planning to go to see this production, which I am not, I have to say that some of the casting would not inspire me that much.  I am not a fan of Hirata, not least as I would have been hoping for Celine Gittens and Tyrone Singleton as the first cast.  Having said that, Brandon Lawrence would be a highly acceptable substitute.  

Momoko Hirata is an absolute favourite of mine!

I booked tickets for Birmingham ages ago so have no idea who I'll be seeing....

Am a tad surprised that Cesar Morales and Samara Downs aren’t cast in the first run- I would have thought they would be perfect as the leads. I do like all the casts, but unfortunately, my entire Feb is booked up now and I can’t go to either Southampton or Birmingham. Toi toi toi to the whole company though! Looking forward to members’ reviews and reactions. 

Edited by Emeralds

Unfortunately that’s a bad week for travelling almost anywhere from Brighton as there will be ten whole days where there’s a bus service to Three Bridges (near Gatwick) and then train usually to Victoria but the way things are at the moment there have been no direct trains to Victoria for six weeks ....you have to change at East Croydon still and there’s no sign this is changing yet so could be a very long winded journey up to London. I’m considering not going to my usual

classes ( week beg: Feb 21st) up in London let alone the theatre otherwise might have considered going to Birmingham for the day to see this. I can’t do the Southampton dates unfortunately so was considering Birmingham until got news about the trains!! 
I think it’s good Acosta is doing a whole new production for BRB and am sure will be an Improvement on RB one ....though I liked that one anyway though I know many weren’t that keen on it. 

5 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I think it’s good Acosta is doing a whole new production for BRB and am sure will be an Improvement on RB one ....though I liked that one anyway though I know many weren’t that keen on it. 

Oh, I didn't realise it was a new production, I thought it was going to be the same as the RB's. I enjoyed that one when it was last revived in 2018. I can't get to either Southampton or Birmingham under current conditions so won't be able to see BRB.

• Like 1

According to the Nutcracker programme, in the dancer listing Samara was shown as being on maternity leave.

Something on IG the other day leads me to believe that Cesar is recovering from injury.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZIj-pjlpTu/

Dawnstar, there’s no way the ROH production would fit into UK regional theatres or even be tourable with all those moving buildings.  Also BRB is a smaller company than the RB.  It doesn’t necessarily mean that the story or the choreography will be different.

• Like 2

When I moved recently from the Midlands to the South West, I realised I’d be sacrificing so many opportunities to see BRB and the odd jaunt to London. However, I have found I can get to Plymouth  in less than an hour, and to my delight have already seen BRB and Matthew Bourne . Have had front circle seats for an incredibly reasonable price,  and unsure how quickly Don Q tickets might be snapped up, I booked them as soon as they were available. There are still quite a few excellent seats available, but I imagine the cost of travel and overnight stay would mean it’s not practical for many. Although I do recommend the area for a short break! Just hoping BRB will be able to continue to keep Plymouth on the touring schedule. 

• Like 7

I've been to Plym on a number of occasions over the last 20 years or so.  It is something of a journey to get there (by car or by train) but it has always been worth it.

I think the theatre is fab and one of the highlights is the raising and lowering of the safety curtain!. 

• Like 1