Press Release: Birmingham Royal Ballet Spring Tour of Carlos Acosta's New Production of Don Quixote

2 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Well I suppose N&M will be able to learn a lot from dancing with BRB.

I'm sure they will; I think part of the reason they are both great dancers is because they've never stopped learning and I'm sure that all the guesting they do (together or separately) feeds into their artistry.

• Like 5

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, bridiem said:

I'm sure they will; I think part of the reason they are both great dancers is because they've never stopped learning and I'm sure that all the guesting they do (together or separately) feeds into their artistry.

As shown by a recent post by Muntagirov on his Instagram. Also interesting to see the comments from past and present dancers from both the RB and BRB.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY6eBC6sRC0/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 3

Which position of mine is extreme?

That I am not excited by guest artists and that I do not like the fact that you believe the RB is "the best"?

Many years ago, I now realise, the RB was in a doldrums and I thought LFB (as they still were) were the best.  However I have come to realise that all 5 of the main companies are different from each other and I welcome that difference because I can get something from all of them.

What I would hate to see would be a return to the days when BRB was very much the little sister to the RB, where dancers were sent to "improve" or start their careers before they moved over to RB.  BRB has forged its own identity and vive la difference!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bridiem said:

(I personally like the idea of the two companies being more closely linked again, but that hasn't been the direction of travel for a very long time now.)

Carlos was proposing a join venture in a recent interview but said that discussions hadn't started.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, capybara said:

Carlos was proposing a join venture in a recent interview but said that discussions hadn't started.

I hope it isn't as disastrous as the joint venture with Rosie Kay!  He has already announced that Acosta Danza dancers will be appearing with Birmingham Royal Ballet in one of the mixed programmes.

6 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

Which position of mine is extreme?

That I am not excited by guest artists and that I do not like the fact that you believe the RB is "the best"?

Many years ago, I now realise, the RB was in a doldrums and I thought LFB (as they still were) were the best.  However I have come to realise that all 5 of the main companies are different from each other and I welcome that difference because I can get something from all of them.

What I would hate to see would be a return to the days when BRB was very much the little sister to the RB, where dancers were sent to "improve" or start their careers before they moved over to RB.  BRB has forged its own identity and vive la difference!

I think best if we agree to disagree! As long as we both can enjoy watching ballets, does it matter. 

If you follow ENB, as I do, guest appearances are very much part and parcel of the scene, albeit that some guests then join the company on various kinds of contracts, including ones where their time is shared with another company.

I recall Matthias Dingman being one of guest dancers (in Nutcracker, I believe) when he was not then a BRB Principal.

If I'm booking for Birmingham is there a rail or any obstruction on the front row of the upper circle? It's a long time since I was there. I thought I remember it as a walkway but I might be wrong.  Or can people recommend seats where obstructions/tall people (I'm quite short) wouldn't be a huge issue.

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

If you follow ENB, as I do, guest appearances are very much part and parcel of the scene, albeit that some guests then join the company on various kinds of contracts, including ones where their time is shared with another company.

I recall Matthias Dingman being one of guest dancers (in Nutcracker, I believe) when he was not then a BRB Principal.

I thought he was invited because of injury problems within ENB at the time?  Wasn't it the year that Max Westwell had to do nearly all the performances of Nutcracker?

I can't wait to see Mathias and Momoko in Don Q - they took the roof off at the last Evening of Music and Dance.  They were so exciting to watch I kept forgetting to breathe.  (As had been the case with Nan and Chi several years earlier.)

2 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

If I'm booking for Birmingham is there a rail or any obstruction on the front row of the upper circle? It's a long time since I was there. I thought I remember it as a walkway but I might be wrong.  Or can people recommend seats where obstructions/tall people (I'm quite short) wouldn't be a huge issue.

The Hippo only has 2 levels Joan.  It's many years since I sat up in the circle so I can't remember.  @Tony Newcombe should know.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

The circle of the Hippodrome is divided into a central block and two side blocks. There is a rail at the bottom of the stairs dividing these blocks and this can be an obstruction if you sit on the gangway seats rows A- C side block. There is a steep rake in the circle so most other seats should give a good view unless you have someone excessively tall in front of you. Alternatively, if you are short I would recommend a gangway seat on the side block of the stalls (if available) as you look across the aisle and the person in front of you is not normally an obstruction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

This might be helpful

Seating Plan - Birmingham Hippodrome

Layout 1 (drlqq8xn694xu.cloudfront.net)

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

As Janet says, there are only two levels - but the circle is huge, hence being split, IIRC, into front and rear. I certainly can't remember there being any bars that restrict view - and I am not quite five feet tall.

Edited to add that I've seen that Pulcinella has given a fuller response! 

Edited by RHowarth
  • Thanks 1

I've just remembered that, when Carlos spoke to The London Ballet Circle via Zoom on the 29th April 2021, he mentioned guest artists and there was a follow up question and answer as follows. The full report is at https://www.tlbc.org.uk/resources/139-carlos-acosta-cbe-in-conversation-with-jane-pritchard-mbe

What does Carlos hope Guest Artists will bring to BRB?

“They will bring new perspectives, they will inspire the dancers. You get used to the dancers you see each day at class. To bring new talent keeps you edgy, on your toes. All that nervousness is very helpful for the company. I don’t want the company to be a local phenomenon, I want them to be international. I think safe is bad, it’s the end.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I've just remembered that, when Carlos spoke to The London Ballet Circle via Zoom on the 29th April 2021, he mentioned guest artists and there was a follow up question and answer as follows. The full report is at https://www.tlbc.org.uk/resources/139-carlos-acosta-cbe-in-conversation-with-jane-pritchard-mbe

What does Carlos hope Guest Artists will bring to BRB?

“They will bring new perspectives, they will inspire the dancers. You get used to the dancers you see each day at class. To bring new talent keeps you edgy, on your toes. All that nervousness is very helpful for the company. I don’t want the company to be a local phenomenon, I want them to be international. I think safe is bad, it’s the end.”

And, of course, the guests can learn from the company they are dancing with too.

• Like 3

One of the things I enjoyed from all the lockdown streaming was the chance to see performances from different companies - both around the world and from within the UK. There are so many wonderful dancers and productions. One of my resolutions following this was to see more of BRB, apart from their Nutcracker which I usually see once a year. The casting announcement for Don Quixote prompted me to book a performance in Birmingham. I couldn't make dates for a couple of the dancers I was familiar with, but remember really enjoying Beatrice Parma's Clara and so decided to book for her show as Kitri on the 24th. 

Then when the news of Nuñez / Muntagirov guesting came out I have to confess to being intrigued. I'm one of the people who really enjoy watching them dance and I've never seen them in Don Quixote. As it happens one of their dates is the day before the one I'd already booked. So I impulse bought a ticket on the train last night! 

This morning I realised that between the two performances, there's a matinée on the 24th. So I thought why not see another cast, since I'll be in Birmingham anyway! So I'll be seeing the Mizutani / Monaghan cast as well. Two dancers I've never seen and being honest wouldn't otherwise have booked for. I'm sure all three performances will be fantastic and I can't wait! 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Indeed, I think we should celebrate all companies who have extremely talented dancers - the talent, for example, in the English National Ballet is astronomical, although they may not have the 'royal' status symbols that RB/BRB have. (I haven't seen the Northern or Scottish ballet companies, but I'm convinced the quality is very high there as well. And Ballet Black is superb).

As a lot of these dancers presumably have similar or exactly the same training (Royal Ballet School, Tring, Elmhurst etc) it's probably incorrect to say that one particular company has 'better dancers'. Recruitment into ballet companies also relies somewhat on the personal preference/what the director is looking for at the time, not only the talent of the dancer.

I would say what makes the RB unique, along with the obvious talent, is the repertoire and history - the great MacMillan ballets being first performed by them, the Nureyev/Fonteyn history, that's why even the most ballet adverse individual has probably heard of them at least once. Also thanks to their YouTube channel which sports a huge amount of behind the scenes/rehearsal footage, the Royal Ballet has more worldwide exposure. But other companies are now also sporting a range of repertoire and exciting new works, along with their own top quality talent. 

• Like 10

12 hours ago, jmhopton said:

This website has some pictures of Hippodrome seat views. It’s not comprehensive but gives an idea of the view from a selection of the seats.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/venue/Birmingham+Hippodrome/

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Indeed, I think we should celebrate all companies who have extremely talented dancers - the talent, for example, in the English National Ballet is astronomical, although they may not have the 'royal' status symbols that RB/BRB have. (I haven't seen the Northern or Scottish ballet companies, but I'm convinced the quality is very high there as well. And Ballet Black is superb).

As a lot of these dancers presumably have similar or exactly the same training (Royal Ballet School, Tring, Elmhurst etc) it's probably incorrect to say that one particular company has 'better dancers'. Recruitment into ballet companies also relies somewhat on the personal preference/what the director is looking for at the time, not only the talent of the dancer.

I would say what makes the RB unique, along with the obvious talent, is the repertoire and history - the great MacMillan ballets being first performed by them, the Nureyev/Fonteyn history, that's why even the most ballet adverse individual has probably heard of them at least once. Also thanks to their YouTube channel which sports a huge amount of behind the scenes/rehearsal footage, the Royal Ballet has more worldwide exposure. But other companies are now also sporting a range of repertoire and exciting new works, along with their own top quality talent. 

Very well put art_enthusiast.

It's a while since I've been able to see Scottish but they've always been a good company IMHO.  I absolutely love Ballet Black.  As ENB haven't been doing a spring tour for the last few years I haven't had the same opportunities to see them in recent years but I have always thought them a very strong company and they do have fabulous dancers too.  (Tamara Rojo has my undying admiration for bringing both Khan's Giselle (which I had been fortunate to see in Manchester when it premiered) and Le Corsaire to Liverpool in successive, heady years.  Liverpool ballet watchers are notoriously conservative in their taste but Giselle got a standing ovation at all the performances I saw (3) and at one of the Corsaire performances.)

• Like 1

Yes, we are so lucky to have such a richness of companies, each with their distinctive ‘flavour’ and blessed with some tremendous talent. I wish there were more opportunities for cooperation between them. I remember the celebrations for Macmillan a few years back when there was a lovely mix. Keeping to the topic of this thread, I think Carlos Acosta remains a very exciting prospect for BRB. Reading through his comments in the interview link, higher up the thread, I think he has a good understanding of the competing issues that he has to juggle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Yes, we are so lucky to have such a richness of companies, each with their distinctive ‘flavour’ and blessed with some tremendous talent. I wish there were more opportunities for cooperation between them. I remember the celebrations for Macmillan a few years back when there was a lovely mix. Keeping to the topic of this thread, I think Carlos Acosta remains a very exciting prospect for BRB. Reading through his comments in the interview link, higher up the thread, I think he has a good understanding of the competing issues that he has to juggle.

Having seen him in 2 zoom interviews during lockdown and having read various newspaper interviews I remain deeply sceptical about his intentions.  I hope I am wrong.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone know if BRB is doing online cast sheets for Don Quixote? Christopher Saunders has posted a photo of the opening night cast on Instagram & I'm trying & failing to identify some of the dancers in the secondary roles.

They had been putting cast sheets on line for some years but I don’t know what the current position is.

10 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Does anyone know if BRB is doing online cast sheets for Don Quixote? Christopher Saunders has posted a photo of the opening night cast on Instagram & I'm trying & failing to identify some of the dancers in the secondary roles.

Last nights cast sheet is now available on line

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Last nights cast sheet is now available on line

Thank you. Nice cast.

But how come BRB is using students from the ENBS and Central as well as the RBS when their partner school is Elmhurst? A wonderful opportunity for the young dancers involved, of course.

Someone on here must have seen the show surely?

8 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Thanks.I've now compared the cast sheet with the photo & there were some people I should have recognised but I didn't. Rory Mackay looks completely different as Gamache! It's interesting that some of the costumes look to be the same/similar to the RB production but some look different.

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Thank you. Nice cast.

But how come BRB is using students from the ENBS and Central as well as the RBS when their partner school is Elmhurst? A wonderful opportunity for the young dancers involved, of course.

Someone on here must have seen the show surely?

I think it is a geographical thing. I’m pretty sure Elmshurst will be involved in Birmingham. When they did Cinderella at the Rep last year, there were three corp de ballet bubbles. BRB, Elmhurst and ENB School. I was at last nights performance of Don Q but in view of some of the posts on this thread I really don’t feel like commenting. What I will say in answer to Guest Artists taking roles away from BRB dancers. Not at all. All the dancers one would expect to taking on the role of Kitri are listed. Indeed last night there were four other Kitri’s on stage as well in other roles. Kurihara as Mercedes, Shang and Mizutani as Kitri’s friends and Parma leading the corps in the vision scene. Tonight Parma will be dancing Kitri!

• Like 5

On 09/02/2022 at 22:17, Jan McNulty said:

This is the comment I don't understand and you still haven't explained what it means.

Apologies, I haven't been on here.

None of the BRB's principals compare to either Nunez or Muntagirov in talent and ability. Nunez is particularly brilliant in this role, I have yet to see better. 

Excuse me???

Are you serious?

I was meaning this, in this conversation you're expression was more 'out there' compared to the other posters. 

As good as the BRB dancers are, and they are, they aren't Nunez and Muntagirov, the fact posters on here are either buying tickets and travelling up there or wanting to shows what these two are. 

They're two of the most talented dancers in the world.

• Like 2

On 09/02/2022 at 22:40, Jan McNulty said:

Well I suppose N&M will be able to learn a lot from dancing with BRB.

They probably will, all great dancers can always pick up many things from everyone.

Nunez has one of the best techniques out there and she always takes direction well, I watched her classes with Erico Montes and she was always after any feedback he'd give her.

• Like 2