Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
44 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Looking forward to my 2pm. I’m so ready for this! 🍿 

Streaming starts at 8pm BST on 9 July 2021 

6 minutes ago, oncnp said:

My receipt for the just-ordered stream (paid this morn) clearly states “The event will start at 7pm BST on 9 July 2021.”  I realize that we’ll have access for one month but I want the joy of experiencing it live, if at all possible. I’m even planning my dressy frock for my virtual trip to the ROH, with ice cream at intervals, just like in the old days. 😉 

• Like 4

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

My receipt for the just-ordered stream (paid this morn) clearly states “The event will start at 7pm BST on 9 July 2021.”  I realize that we’ll have access for one month but I want the joy of experiencing it live, if at all possible. I’m even planning my dressy frock for my virtual trip to the ROH, with ice cream at intervals, just like in the old days. 😉 

Odd.. the website says 8 PM...and they've never gone out truly "live" in the past. There has always been at least a 30  minute delay. Still, first time for everything. 

Edited by oncnp

23 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Which I assume is 2pm Jeannette Daylight Time 

I guess the stream starts an hour later than the live performance so they don’t have to have an interval 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

I can't imagine that it could go out live, given that they have to splice in this other piece while Osipova is doing the Ek.  Far too complicated, surely?  Plus there are two intervals they are going to have to "massage" out - unless they're going to have those "live", too.

22 minutes ago, alison said:

I can't imagine that it could go out live, given that they have to splice in this other piece while Osipova is doing the Ek.  Far too complicated, surely?  Plus there are two intervals they are going to have to "massage" out - unless they're going to have those "live", too.

I think it’s Magri doing Woman with Water tonight 

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

It is indeed.

More fool whoever has the copyright to it.  They are missing a chance of getting a piece of Ek's work out there to a wide audience...who are sadly missing an excellent performance and interpretation of this work.  

35 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think it might be the rights to the music rather than the choreography

Even worse!  I guess they should have sorted that out in advance...but I don't know what the agreements and deals are.  Seems a shame that because of music copyright the piece is not able to be shown.

7 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Yes, the one I found for Links under a headline saying "Agnes Dei."  But "a little Latin and less Greek" knew better .....

24 minutes ago, capybara said:

But a bonus for Leo Dixon to be seen in Angus Dei.

First Agnes, now Angus...

Autocorrect is wreaking havoc with this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Ah, thank you.  I'd assumed it was "first cast" night tonight since it was being streamed.  Of course, the Ek isn't being streamed.

4 hours ago, Sim said:

Even worse!  I guess they should have sorted that out in advance...but I don't know what the agreements and deals are.  Seems a shame that because of music copyright the piece is not able to be shown.

Jann Parry's interview with Ek on Dancetabs says that woman with water won't be filmed because the Royal Swedish Ballet (by whom it was commissioned) has retained the media rights.

Edited by Jane S
  • Like 4

Well, I'm just sitting here enjoying my ice cream. :)

ONCNP was right. Unlike the receipt, the streaming site now indicates "Coming Soon" at 8pm BST, 3pm EST.

Here is the link to a clearer look at the cast sheet & order of the Diverts - with Agnus Dei coming first:

09.07.21-live-stream.pdf (roh.org.uk)

Also within the streaming site is this notice about the Ek piece:

As the original commissioners have sole media rights for Mats Ek’s woman with water, this divertissement will not be included in the streamed version of this performance.

Just finished watching the Live Stream of the Beauty Mixed Bill and really enjoyed it. After the Rain was particularly moving. Combination of beautiful dancing and playing by Vasily Petrenko. 

My takes from it 

Thought Anemoi was very well danced. What a joy to see the younger dancers have their chance to shine and having proper costumes was lovely to see. 

Is it really bad to say that I thought Yasmine Naghdi and Joseph Sissens were better in the Morgan Par especially Joseph Sissens. He just ‘got’ Mcgregor’s sense of movement. I would like to see Francesca Haywood  dance it with Sissens. 

Voices of Spring in my opinion was put in the wrong place in the Programme! It did not feel right following After The Rain. 

Loved everyone in Sleeping Beauty and the majesty of Nunez and Muntagirov 

A throughly enjoyable evening and hopefully can get tickets to a performance in the Autumn Season! 

• Like 6

For totally confused over start time.  ROH confirmation said 8.00 pm. At 7.31pm I received an email telling me it was starting at that time. The stream, at 7.45, said it would start at 7.30 and there were 19 minutes to go! 

Having said that, I enjoyed the programme, particularly the chance to see some of the younger dancers. I thought Sissens/Naghdi were so well matched, and I hadn't seen James Hay in Bluebird before - a real treat. In spite of the slightly bare looking SB it was good to see some 'proper' ballet again.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Bravissima35 said:

Voices of Spring in my opinion was put in the wrong place in the Programme! It did not feel right following After The Rain.

In the ROH woman with water came in between. That transition felt fine to me but I can imagine it's a bit of a jump in mood going straight from After the rain to Voices of spring! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

I hope nobody dodgy served it to you!!

Excuse me but the ice cream was served to me by none other than Vadim...my husband named Vadim, that is! 🤪

What a lovely show! V & I both enjoyed the Zucchetti-Rachmaninoff work, Anemoi. So touching, lyrical. Fabulous group of very young dancers. Sasaki and Dias are both stunning...and Lukas B-B and Nakao both impressive partners. The company is in very good hands and feet! I look forward to more creations from Zucchetti.

Diverts:

Agnus Dei - The Pita film is moving, although not my usual cup of tea. The effect of falling into the orch pit was a surprise.

Morgen was sentitively rendered...although I preferred the originals (Hayward and Corrales) last year.

Winter Dreams - WOW, Laura Morera! Such passion in movement and, to be honest, Ryoichi Hirano must have adjusted his interpretation since the reviews of opening night, as he conveyed much more feeling this time around. He knew that the eyes of the world were on him!

After the Rain pdd - I'm used to the Wendy Whelan aesthetic in this (which I won't describe...), so was not expecting the extraordinary lightness of being from the more 'real woman' Stix-Brunell. Very, very beautiful.

Voices of Spring - I cannot judge...as the sound went wacko the moment that this began...the score played twice...the first about two measures before the second one. Only the second one was in synch with the dancers. MY LUCK...with the ASHTON!!! (The Anti-Ashton Demons must know about me.) I'll give it another try when I rewatch the show over the weekend.

Sleeping Beauty A3. What a treat. The group on stage was not as sparse as I imagined. It was fine, just lacking Lilac's attendants, the "trees" in the Red Riding Hood episode and the guys who carry the Cat's platform. [No Three Ivans in this version, right?] All featured dancers were wonderful. Nunez and Muntagirov simply outstanding. However, my Golden Stars among the wedding celebrants were Isabella Gasparini in the Florestan-and-Sisters pas de trois (what a sparkler!) AND...OMG, James Hay as the Bluebird. Holy Moley, Batman!

• Like 12

I've seen this programme live now, with 3 different casts and have still to watch the live stream with another different cast.  I booked more performances because I was beguiled by the lure of the Sleeping Beauty with the full cast. Sadly this had never happened but we were closer to it last night than ever before and I found myself getting excited about the number of couples coming on stage - this is REALLY sad, but a sign of our COVID times. 

Overall, my experience has reinforced my booking preferences going forwards, if we ever get back to normal.  I have not experienced any emotional pull during these performances. The closest I've got to any hairs on the back of the neck has been Marianela/ Vadim in Winter Dreams (all too short), Francesca Hayward/Alexander Campbell in Beauty and the joy of seeing Laura Morera perform.  I don't doubt the quality of all the other dancers but I've had enough of triple bills and party pieces.  

So, I will be picking my R&J's, Giselle's, Nutcrackers and Swan Lake's with care and passing on the rest,  but am extremely concerned by those seating plans with so many seats greyed out. 

• Like 6