35 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t really understand why people have to automatically self isolate ....if they have no symptoms they can take a test.... and if test is negative should be able to take part in a normal day 🤔 

But then I’m only about half way through my Degree in understanding all the Covid rules. 

At the moment, if you are in close contact with someone who has tested positive (as appears to be the case for a group of RB dancers) you can only take the daily test route if you are part of an NHS trial. If you are not, then self-isolation is the only (official) option. And, of course, for an organisation like the RB, the safety of its dancers has to be its first consideration.

• Like 1

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Speaking of cast changes, one’s heart goes out to Joonhyuk Jun who appears, from photos on Instagram, to have been cast alongside Isabella Gasparini as Bluebird but who didn’t dance the show.

IF self-isolation is the reason for this, it emphasises that it’s impact is very cruel - likewise for Taisuke Nakao, who hasn’t (yet) danced his featured role in Anemoi.

He was originally supposed to do it with Isabella.   He looked fabulous on the rehearsal videos he posted  and I was really looking forward to seeing him.   Joe Sissens was a very worthy substitute, but double debuts are so exciting!  I do hope we get to see Jun shine next season.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I do hope we get to see Jun shine next season.  

Me too. Jun seems to have been in the Company for a long time (an Aud Jebsen year plus three as an Artist) and Bluebird could have been a wonderful, ‘breakthrough’ opportunity for him to show the audience his extraordinary talents.

• Like 2

Some others have praised "Anemoi" highly. I thought some of the pas de deux work danced by Mariko Sasaki was exquisite, and the shapes created by the corps at the back of the stage towards the end were inspired. (I suspect they would have looked even better from a seat lower in the auditorium.) But overall structure of the ballet seemed to me to be too disjointed: dancers come on for a few seconds, then disappear into the wings to be replaced by other dancers doing something different. No mood is established for long enough that we the audience can begin to share it.

I was a little unsure what to make of "Morgen" on a first viewing. The music is ravishingly beautiful, but I am uncertain what role the male dancer is supposed to be playing.

"Winter Dreams" is one of my least favourite ballets in the Royal's heritage repertoire. There is not enough interesting choreography for the running time, and none of the Chebutykins I have seen (Avis, Whitehead, Saunders) has been able to make his supposedly comic entanglement with a chair anything other than grimly unfunny. I wondered whether perhaps the pas de deux without its surrounding longeurs might be worth seeing. However, there is always a risk in extracting an emotional pas de deux from its context, and on this occasion I felt that although Nunez and Muntagirov were good, the piece fell flat.

Every time I have seen it I have thought "After the rain" was utterly lovely. Kaneko and Bonelli did not disappoint..

Magri threw everything she has at "Woman with water" and it entertained well enough, although I'm not sure how many viewings it would sustain.

O'Sullivan and Sambé delivered "Voices of Spring" with the charm we have come to expect from them.

The final act of "Beauty" suffered a little from the scaling back of the surrounding retinue, which reduced the sense of occasion. In the Bluebird pas Magri and Acri looked a little ragged at times. I greatly enjoyed Hayward and Campbell in the grand pas. Hayward, in particular, adopted a rather unshowy manner which came across well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alison said:

Hmm, I was reflecting that he was actually a bit overworked last night - he was in every "act"!

Joseph Sissens was replacing Joonhyuk Jun as the Bluebird although, as that casting wasn't formally announced ahead of the day (only on social media), Joe didn't get noted as a replacement.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 1

Do we know who’ll dance the SB ActIII secondary-featured roles (bluebirds, Pas de 3, etc) during the livestream of 9 July? Shall we assume the same as in the opening night?

Edited by Jeannette

Claire Calvert has posted on social media that she will be the other Florestan’s sister and I think that Meaghan Grace Hingis has also mentioned Friday as being her second Princess Florine.

So all the available evidence points strongly in the direction of the streamed cast being the first night’s one - barring unexpected ‘circumstances’.

• Like 1

OTOH, if there had been dancers scheduled to perform on the first night who were unable to through no "fault" of their own, and who are now able to dance, would they be cast instead of their replacements?  Perhaps it doesn't apply, anyway.

9 hours ago, alison said:

OTOH, if there had been dancers scheduled to perform on the first night who were unable to through no "fault" of their own, and who are now able to dance, would they be cast instead of their replacements?  Perhaps it doesn't apply, anyway.

Well, it would be great if the self-isolators who missed their debuts (notably in Anemoi) could be on stage. Their 10 days should be up now………

• Like 4

At second attempt managed to enlarge the above photo ( it wouldn’t the first time so couldn’t see faces properly) and presumably Leticia is the one behind Beatriz who is central in the photo. 
I’ve never considered they look alike before probably because their dance styles are so different and Leticia is smaller but they do look a bit alike in that still photo above but can see the difference! 
In the Guardian photo I can see now it probably is Leticia 🙄 

I am amazed that Beatriz obviously didn't have any say in which photos were shown or she would have pointed this out surely? 

Edited by LinMM

15 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Unfortunately I can’t enlarge the one above so can’t see faces well enough! 

Click on the link then click on the photo, it enlarges to 1600x1200

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

At second attempt managed to enlarge the above photo ( it wouldn’t the first time so couldn’t see faces properly) and presumably Leticia is the one behind Beatriz who is central in the photo. 
I’ve never considered they look alike before probably because their dance styles are so different and Leticia is smaller but they do look a bit alike in that still photo above but can see the difference! 
In the Guardian photo I can see now it probably is Leticia 🙄 

I am amazed that Beatriz obviously didn't have any say in which photos were shown or she would have pointed this out surely? 

They've clearly been told about their error as the photo has now been removed.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JennyTaylor said:

Listening to Valentino Zucchetti at the latest Ballet Association meeting. What a joy he is. He commented that very few people are now choreographing classical ballet so he is going to concentrate on that - hurrah!

Hip hop hip hooray!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

Listening to Valentino Zucchetti at the latest Ballet Association meeting. What a joy he is. He commented that very few people are now choreographing classical ballet so he is going to concentrate on that - hurrah!

Yes.  He also discussed Anemoi in a lot of detail.

52 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Pleased to see that Joonhyuk Jun is showing on the cast sheet as the Bluebird tonight.

Yes. Good news, especially for him. There must have been some re-jigging.

Jun is also in Anemoi.