Livestream … I joined late due to streaming issues.  No matter … there is time to catch up!  

I loved the musicality of Anemoi and the chance to see younger dancers in featured roles.  Leticia Dias, Mariko Sasaki and Taisuke Nakao were all superb.   I wished to have seen more of Lucas BB in woman with water, but sadly not included in livestream.

And was impressed by Arthur Pita’s dramatic piece filmed on the ROH stage for beautiful Leo Dixon.   So different to his ‘Metamorphosis’ and ‘Mother’.  More please!

I was very surprised by Morgen which I’d not liked before.  Movement and emotion flowed from Yasmine Naghdi and Joe Sissens.  Bravo 👏👏👏

It was all good … with Marianela and Vadim topping the evening off with their brilliance 🌟

• Like 5

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was my first visit to the ROH in over 18 months. On the car journey there I had wondered if I would burst into tears at the sheer delight of being back in the audience, but until near the end, I found myself merely happy and enthralled throughout the long programme.  Although I hate what covid is doing to the RB’s income, a bonus of the sparsely occupied seats is excellent viewing with no risk of a large person sitting in front of one.

Well done to Valentino Zucchetti for composing ‘Animoi’ at what appears to be short notice!  It was uneven in quality but some parts were quite striking, and I would highlight the stunning dancing of Taisuke Nakao whom I’d never before noticed.  Although he doesn’t have the looks or build of a danseur noble I can imagine him filling roles such as Prince Siegfried’s friend in Swan Lake, with his brilliant combination of elegance and athleticism.  The audience were greatly appreciative when the young choreographer took a bow at the end, wearing a very smart bright blue suit and an enormous smile.

Laura Morera and Ryoichi Hirano looked good together in ‘Winter Dreams’ – it’s always such a treat to see Laura; she is one of my favourites, for her expressive projection of character.  I’m not always keen on Hirano but Laura obviously brought out the best in him.

My surprise of the night was ‘woman with water’.  I normally don’t like modern works that seem determined to hide any message they might hold within a murky morass of seemingly vague limb movements.  But although this work was a bit of a mystery in its strange ‘story’ it was quirky and compelling, and the dancers – Mayara Magri and Lukas Bjørneboe Brændsrød – were quite simply amazing.  I couldn’t take my eyes off them for a second.  The choreography looked difficult to me, but their performance was just superb.  I’m running out of superlatives here.  I loved it!

(By the way, just as we were entering the ROH an elderly man was also coming in with a young, handsome companion.  He was saying ‘they say they can squeeze you in somewhere, but you might not be sitting with the rest of us.’  Looking again at the young man I recognised Mayara’s real-life partner, Matthew Ball, looking even better close-up than he does on stage!)

When ‘Voices of Spring’ erupted with an exuberant and playful Anna Rose O’Sullivan and Marcelino Sambé, it was a complete change of mood from the modern to the classical in music, costume and dance – yet there is no stale traditionalism in this work.  Ashton’s usual restrained elegance was supplanted here by joyous ebullience seasoned with a dash of gentle self-mockery: a kind of sending-up of itself in the most delightful way, I thought.  Utterly charming and a lovely contrast to what had gone before. To me, Ashton’s work embodies all that is best of Englishness: refined but not taking itself too seriously; somewhat bucolic yet sophisticated; beautiful and always entertaining.  The exact opposite of that other, darker side of Englishness now so prevalent: the crass behaviour of some politicians and many football supporters.

So much for the hors d’oevres: at last we came to the main course.  When the curtain went up on the gorgeous scenery and costumes of Sleeping Beauty I felt as thrilled as a child on Christmas morning.  At the moment that Marianela Núñez and Vadim Muntagirov appeared at the back of the stage I suddenly felt tears trickle down my cheeks, underneath my covid mask, which was uncomfortably damp for the next hour.

They were perfect.  Just perfect. Oh, I know that Marianela and her Vadream always perform impeccably, but to me they seemed on another level last night.  It’s true that, out of the context of the whole ballet, that last act has less emotional impact as the sleeping princess finally attains her happiness.  Bluebird James Hay had clearly been practising his entrechats. I thought Calvin Richardson seemed somewhat prosaic and earthbound as Florestan, but it must be difficult to shine when sharing a stage with Muntagirov. David Yudes and Ashley Dean were enchanting as the two cats (what a fun duet that must be to dance!)  

I think this programme was well-chosen, with something for everyone – dancers and audience alike.  And the glittering finale, full of gaiety and colour of the kind which we have missed so sorely over the past many months, sent us all out into the warm summer night air with a smile on our mask-covered lips and a song in our hearts.  Thank you, Royal Ballet!  It was such a privilege to be there. 

You can see a couple of my photos here: https://maryrosedouglasuk.wixsite.com/ballet

• Like 13

I just watched the Voices of Spring that I missed yesterday due to a technical glitch. Sigh. Absolute miscasting here, IMHO. O’Sullivan and Sambe - who I’ve greatly admired as individual dancers in the past - labored through Ashton’s steps with plastered grins...as if they had been forced to perform. This was about as far from the carefree and smooth (yet tongue-in-cheek) style of the originators, Park & Eagling, as one could get. 

Coming at the end of a string of finely-performed pas de deux, this only hurt the case for programming more Ashton works in the future. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

I just watched the Voices of Spring that I missed yesterday due to a technical glitch. Sigh. Absolute miscasting here, IMHO. O’Sullivan and Sambe - who I’ve greatly admired as individual dancers in the past - labored through Ashton’s steps with plastered grins...as if they had been forced to perform. This was about as far from the carefree and smooth (yet tongue-in-cheek) style of the originators, Park & Eagling, as one could get. 

Coming at the end of a string of finely-performed pas de deux, this only hurt the case for programming more Ashton works in the future. 

Quite the opposite…they clearly need to programme much more Ashton in the future so that the dancers get a lot more practice in the style.  That is, if anyone actually cares. 

• Like 15

55 minutes ago, Sim said:

Quite the opposite…they clearly need to programme much more Ashton in the future so that the dancers get a lot more practice in the style.  That is, if anyone actually cares. 

Sim, I didn’t mean that Ashton should be programmed less. I meant that I fear that more performances like this one might result in less programming.

That first lift by Sambe when, during the initial diagonal run, he quickly turns (still lifting the lady) and gives his back to the audience...  I kept thinking Wayne Sleep, who Ashton would never have cast in a high-lifting Soviet-style pdd. Maybe I’m being too sensitive. Forgive me.

• Like 3

The whole point of Voices of Spring is that it is a send up of the Bolshoi's Spring Waters display piece. I thought O'Sullivan captured the daffyness rather well. In the original the dancers were wearing deliberately ridiculous wigs which had a touch of Flower Power!

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

The whole point of Voices of Spring is that it is a send up of the Bolshoi's Spring Waters display piece. I thought O'Sullivan captured the daffyness rather well. In the original the dancers were wearing deliberately ridiculous wigs which had a touch of Flower Power!

From where I was looking on opening night, O'Sullivan's wig was very much of its time, which reminds me: I respect the ROH costume department a lot, and I'm all for sticking to the original designs unless there's good reason not to, but I think they have a blind spot about the wigs for 70s and early 80s designs (see also Manon and Nutcracker). I think all too often they just look a bit silly to the modern eye and nothing would be lost with some updating. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

From where I was looking on opening night, O'Sullivan's wig was very much of its time, which reminds me: I respect the ROH costume department a lot, and I'm all for sticking to the original designs unless there's good reason not to, but I think they have a blind spot about the wigs for 70s and early 80s designs (see also Manon and Nutcracker). I think all too often they just look a bit silly to the modern eye and nothing would be lost with some updating. 

I actually like Manon's wig, well except the act 3 wig

51 minutes ago, Raven said:

I actually like Manon's wig, well except the act 3 wig

I just wish she could change into one of the other wigs for the curtain calls as it's so unflattering, especially in curtain call photo close-ups!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Two Pigeons said:

No one has ever matched Merle Park and Wayne Eagling in Voices of Spring.  Ever!  Technique may have improved but where was elan of the original pairing?

Did you ever see Durante and Cassidy in this? Must say, I thought they really got it!

On 09/07/2021 at 22:55, Sim said:

James Hay as Oberon in the next outing of The Dream…with Akane as his Titania. Pretty please, Mr O’Hare?!

And can we have James Hay as Romeo, too, please? Every time he shows us his exquisitely nuanced Benvolio I come away thinking next time, surely … 

• Like 10

A really enjoyable matinée to close the season today. It was great to see a largely different cast in Anemoi to the ones I'd seen before. I've enjoyed the piece more every time I've seen it. First time I've seen Yasmine Naghdi in a big classical role - she was an amazing Aurora! And really lovely to see Isabella Gasparini and Joonhyuk Jun as Princess Florine and Bluebird - I thought both were wonderful 😊 

But the highlight of course was the privilege of seeing Beatriz Stix-Brunell's final performance. Beautifully danced and followed by rapturous applause and stamping feet. At the end of the divertissements she came out last to a very long standing ovation, during which a succession of fellow dancers brought out huge bunches of flowers. An enormously deserved and emotional tribute to a wonderful dancer 😊

• Like 20

Terrific photos, Rob. You really captured the moment. I was there and I wasn't sure who the flower givers were as they were all wearing masks. I thought I recognised Kevin, who was first, then Gary Avis and Christopher Saunders but not sure about the others. 

I'll comment more about the performance when I'm home. I'm on the train and it's very shaky!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

Terrific photos, Rob. You really captured the moment. I was there and I wasn't sure who the flower givers were as they were all wearing masks. I thought I recognised Kevin, who was first, then Gary Avis and Christopher Saunders but not sure about the others. 

I'll comment more about the performance when I'm home. I'm on the train and it's very shaky!

Thank you, Edward Watson is the one in the white shirt

• Like 3

Thanks to a return ticket I was there today. First time in 18 months and I felt it was well organised and I felt safe. I know the seating can’t remain but it was great for me not to have anyone sitting directly in front of me.

thoroughly enjoyed the performance - those around me didn’t enjoy the Mats Ek piece. I thought it weirdly amusing but out of place in this programme. Lovely farewell to ms Stix-Brunell.

Got to admire ms Naghdi a ballerina fully majestic in the role of Aurora. 

i must say it was a bit challenging getting out of Covent Garden- two tube stations shut due overcrowding with football fans. Thankfully I was wearing trainers and walked to Charing Cross but there were a lot of noisy fans there too.

very glad I went though

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ivy Lin said:

I was actually very disappointed in Nunez and Muntigarov in the Sleeping Beauty pas de deux. I didn't feel like they had the sharpness they usually have in this piece. Their fishdives were very slow.

Not everyone takes the fishdives at breakneck, jaw-bashing pace, of course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alison said:

With regard to Ms Stix-Brunell, she is one of those few First Soloists who will actually leave a Principal-sized hole in the company.

My sentiments exactly. Hers was always a reassuring presence on the cast list, and I thought her performance today was out of this world. I'm sure she will find an outlet for her obvious intelligence at Stanford, but she will be much missed in London. 

Edited by ChrisG
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Shade said:

Thanks to a return ticket I was there today. First time in 18 months and I felt it was well organised and I felt safe. I know the seating can’t remain but it was great for me not to have anyone sitting directly in front of me.

thoroughly enjoyed the performance - those around me didn’t enjoy the Mats Ek piece. I thought it weirdly amusing but out of place in this programme. Lovely farewell to ms Stix-Brunell.

Got to admire ms Naghdi a ballerina fully majestic in the role of Aurora. 

i must say it was a bit challenging getting out of Covent Garden- two tube stations shut due overcrowding with football fans. Thankfully I was wearing trainers and walked to Charing Cross but there were a lot of noisy fans there too.

very glad I went though

Were you in the front left curve of the Stalls Circle? Some people there couldn’t contain their laughs, a bit distracting. I really enjoy it, both Magri and Osipova were fantastic.

I was really impressed with Joonhyuk Jun’s Bluebird, so pleased I got to see that.

• Like 2