Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

4 minutes ago, sunrise81 said:

I just sent the following to another forum member.......hope this helps too!!! 

Mmmmm trying to think of things that aren't on their list they send.....

Oh a padlock....one with the number combo as they have a lockable cupboard in their rooms for valuables. 

Get some of those large zip up laundry bags for moving stuff in and out of school.

Loads of fairy lights and bunting to make her room look homely. I usually make her a calendar with photos of us on for her to start each year with. My dd also bought herself a nice blanket and small fluffy rug for her room at Xmas. Print out loads of photos for her board in her room.

I always send my dd back with tuck.....snack bars, cereal bars, dried fruit etc.

Although DDs not going to Elmhurst some of this is really useful for our chosen school 😁

Thank you

• Like 1

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask about bursary funding for Moorland? Does anyone know if this is guaranteed if you gain it the first year? Or if you could suddenly be told you can't have it any longer so are the liable for full fees?

Does anyone also have any experience of MDS funding when your current years salary will be great than your next year's salary? Can allowances be made for this or is it purely based on the previous years finances??

On the MDS forms there is a section where you can fill in a current year assessment following agreement with the school.

Another thing to send to school is a bank card, so you can top up pocket money remotely if needed! We sorted out DD’s first current account just before she went off to vocational school, and have been so glad we did.

Skills to practice between now and September: changing bed sheets, sorting washing, sewing pointe shoe ribbons, doing a bun. The older students (and house parents, of course!) will help, but the more independent your DC is, the easier the first term will be!

The schools all have travel groups, where you can coordinate with older students to take public transport on exeat weekends, which has been a lifesaver for us, as I have no flexibility in my working schedule and can’t book an afternoon off work to collect DD from school every three weeks.

• Like 3

Just now, SissonneDoublee said:

On the MDS forms there is a section where you can fill in a current year assessment following agreement with the school.

The schools all have travel groups, where you can coordinate with older students to take public transport on exeat weekends, which has been a lifesaver for us, as I have no flexibility in my working schedule and can’t book an afternoon off work to collect DD from school every three weeks.

Thank you! So is there any consideration for the funding if you know your salary will be decreasing??Or will that not be considered until the following year?? 

How soon can you get access to the information about travel groups?? This could have an impact on our decision as like you, Fridays for collection aren't that possible! 

5 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Thank you! So is there any consideration for the funding if you know your salary will be decreasing??Or will that not be considered until the following year?? 

How soon can you get access to the information about travel groups?? This could have an impact on our decision as like you, Fridays for collection aren't that possible! 

They normally calculate based on the previous financial year, so the P60 you get this month will normally form part of the evidence along with the March payslip for this year. If you have evidence that your income is going to decrease (such as a later payslip that shows the reduction in income), you can request a current year assessment. In the case of a significant drop after the calculations have been made (several thousand pounds), you can request an in-year assessment, but I’m not sure how those work or how easy they are to get. The MDS process is very evidence-based, so you need documentation for everything.

The travel group for DD’s school is on Facebook, and I joined by requesting (stating who my child is, and in which year group). If you know parents further up the school, you can ask them to add you to any relevant groups, too.

5 minutes ago, SissonneDoublee said:

They normally calculate based on the previous financial year, so the P60 you get this month will normally form part of the evidence along with the March payslip for this year. If you have evidence that your income is going to decrease (such as a later payslip that shows the reduction in income), you can request a current year assessment. In the case of a significant drop after the calculations have been made (several thousand pounds), you can request an in-year assessment, but I’m not sure how those work or how easy they are to get. The MDS process is very evidence-based, so you need documentation for everything.

The travel group for DD’s school is on Facebook, and I joined by requesting (stating who my child is, and in which year group). If you know parents further up the school, you can ask them to add you to any relevant groups, too.

Thank you! Which school is this for? Sounds ideal 😊

1 hour ago, Ottobotto said:

Can I ask about bursary funding for Moorland? Does anyone know if this is guaranteed if you gain it the first year? Or if you could suddenly be told you can't have it any longer so are the liable for full fees?

Does anyone also have any experience of MDS funding when your current years salary will be great than your next year's salary? Can allowances be made for this or is it purely based on the previous years finances??

If I remember correctly the form allows you to put what you think salary will be.. think adjustments would be made the following year if you were out with figures.. we did our during covid & with furlough we knew salary would be less for the next year and I know we were able to do that. 
re bursary, I believe they are re applied for each year, not as guaranteed as MDS & does not cover all the extras. 

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, tutugirl said:

I have a pupil in current year 8 . If you can’t find a year 7 - I can put you in touch . She’s a lovely girl and at least it would be a familiar face .

Thank you. That’s really kind. 

I’m hoping there will be more new starters so it’s not too daunting for DD for September but I know they only have small year groups. 

Edited by SJBallet
Posted to soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been reading this thread as my current Year 5 DD may be embarking on this journey in the Autumn. We/I cannot decide on what to do. Did you and your DC’s know that the vocational route was what they definitely wanted to do or were any of you undecided? Have you go e with what your child wants? I think some might like the idea of it and then the reality of going away might be a different story. Were any of you dead set against vocational at year 7 and went along with the ride anyway and have now changed your mind at the offer of a place? I know i have a few months before this all starts but i have been back and forth and am worried that once things are in motion, it will be hard to go back. Do we go with it and just see what happens? I know there will be a lot of mixed opinions on this. 

Hi, we decided in the process it wasn’t for us. DS more and more realised the impact it would have in everything else in his life, studying what he wanted, friendships, other activities such as scouts and he also realised his other dreams overtook ballet. 
He still lives ballet and does weekend classes, he just isn’t up for the sacrifice of a career.

So I wouldn’t worry about changing minds, I think you can decide either way. It’ll make your mind up resolutely, but there’s certainly no harm in trying it.

• Like 1

We were in your position last year and decided not to go down the vocational route at this point. Our circumstances are slightly different in that we’re starting to pursue an autism diagnosis for our DD (after many years of hitting a brick wall with school!) so we didn’t feel that it was the best time to be putting her through auditions etc. We also looked at the success rates of children who started at vocational school at 11 and decided that we’d stick with a combination of classes with her current dance school, associates and private lessons and we’ll look again for year 10 entry, when she’s gone through puberty and has the maturity to understand what choosing dance as a career entails. We discussed all this with her and she agreed that 11 is too young for her to be away from home when so many other things are changing! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Been reading this thread as my current Year 5 DD may be embarking on this journey in the Autumn. We/I cannot decide on what to do. Did you and your DC’s know that the vocational route was what they definitely wanted to do or were any of you undecided? Have you go e with what your child wants? I think some might like the idea of it and then the reality of going away might be a different story. Were any of you dead set against vocational at year 7 and went along with the ride anyway and have now changed your mind at the offer of a place? I know i have a few months before this all starts but i have been back and forth and am worried that once things are in motion, it will be hard to go back. Do we go with it and just see what happens? I know there will be a lot of mixed opinions on this. 

I don’t think you’ll know for sure until the time comes. I know numerous parents who, up until the time their DCs got an offer/s, were either undecided or against the idea of letting their DCs board/go full time at age 11. Once offers come in, and I do believe this very much depends on which school offers too, they either make up their mind fairly quickly or suddenly change their mind (from “they seem too young to be going away” to “it will be good experience for them and I can’t stand in the way of their dreams”). Perhaps it’s just my DCs but I know for sure when they were 11 they really didn’t know what their dream careers are! A few years on and they still don’t (neither are in dance). You will definitely get mixed opinions on this query depending on each one’s personal experiences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

We were completely led by two things...the first it was my daughter who wanted to go and as soon as she stepped foot in Elmhurst, she fell in love with it (very different reaction when she entered WL on finals day 🤣).

Secondly, we spent so much time in the car taking her to Leeds 3 or 4 times a week for Northern CAtlT, that it was impacting the time she was spending with friends, and also the time I got with her little sister. 

So for our family, it was the best decision for us.

• Like 2

I had know idea what the vocational school pathway would be like, and I didn’t think a year on my daughter would be at the school of her dreams. She wasn’t a JA so I didn’t think she stood a chance,  but she got to finals at the two schools she applied for Whitelodge and Elmhurst.  We were just happy with that, it’s achievement in itself. We had the best time going on road trips and staying in hotels together.    I just went with her decisions she wanted to try and I was going to support her 100%.  Vocational school isn’t for everyone some get homesick but there are so many benefits my DD has made the most amazing friends, has the best teachers and has improved so much she’s so happy and I am so glad I went with her choices and decisions.  Good luck with what ever you and your DD decide.

Edited by Ballet Dreams
  • Like 3

She originally said she wants to go to ballet school when she is older and then recently said she wants to go in year 7. I am not convinced though. It is purely selfish why i dont want her to and i know those with children about to leave home will be going through a range of emotions. 
I worry we’ll get swept along with it but at the same time will regret seeing what if. 
My head is all over the place and theres 6 months until it all starts! 

One thing to consider(and I feel it puts extra pressure on those who may not be emotionally ready to go away at 11) is that yr7 is when the highest number of funded places are available across all vocational schools. Admittedly since the recent changes for schools to guarantee 3 years, there may be more scope for yr10, although potentially there will be a cohort of “assessed out pupils from other schools looking to fill those spaces”. 

• Like 2

I've settled on the personal opinion that the vocational schools are accompanied by very high quality academics, so the highly focused dance path is 'in addition to' a regular academic education, rather than 'instead of'. My DS will be starting vocational school in September,  he is extremely excited to be going.  But I am very open to the fact that even within the focused dance environment, there is still plenty of scope to develop a passion for art, science, history, anything, within the academic curriculum.  So even if the dance 'doesn't turn out' it will have been accompanied with a solid education for GCSE.  Yes, there is always various elements of 'risk', but I know my child is creative, so there are many other career paths that could be followed within the arts and creative industries if the dance doesn't go as anticipated.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I've settled on the personal opinion that the vocational schools are accompanied by very high quality academics, so the highly focused dance path is 'in addition to' a regular academic education, rather than 'instead of'. My DS will be starting vocational school in September,  he is extremely excited to be going.  But I am very open to the fact that even within the focused dance environment, there is still plenty of scope to develop a passion for art, science, history, anything, within the academic curriculum.  So even if the dance 'doesn't turn out' it will have been accompanied with a solid education for GCSE.  Yes, there is always various elements of 'risk', but I know my child is creative, so there are many other career paths that could be followed within the arts and creative industries if the dance doesn't go as anticipated.

A great point. Do you know if academics are taken into consideration when places are allocated? My DD is not below expectations on anything but wondered if this information is a requirement to the application process at any schools (in your experience). 

Edited by Balletbuds80

3 minutes ago, Balletbuds80 said:

A great outlook. Do you know if academics are taken into consideration when places are allocated? My DD is not below expectations on anything but wondered if this information is a requirement to the application process at any schools (in your experience). 

They ask for information from your current school and I think there are academic tests but nothing is based off of these, places are offered on a child’s ability in ballet.  I would 100% agree about the quality of teaching at private schools and low class numbers.  Also as said previously there are more places available in year 7 and it’s definitely harder to get a place the further up the school you go. 

• Like 1

@Balletbuds80 to offer up our experience, DD always wanted to go to ballet school, one school in particular (although we applied to four). It was a real rollercoaster for us, we ultimately ended it with three offers, including finally the one she had said she wanted to go to (although this story in itself wasn’t straight forward, it’s too long winded for here but happy to discuss in more detail if you wanted to DM me).  When it came to it, she simply changed her mind. She has chosen a school here at home and she is really happy. 

As a couple of posters have said, she still loves ballet and wants to carry on (and was lucky enough to get a RBS mids place) but wants to try other things as well and stay at home. It was honestly a complete turnaround, but ultimately her choice. It has to be led by them - we have friends who are going who are absolutely certain and so excited to be going and you can see it’s absolutely right for them too. It basically comes down to your own situation and child and looking at other peoples outcomes and experiences isn’t always what is going to happen to your own journey. 

my advice would be if she wants to - apply, go to the auditions, see what happens, go to open days, get a feel for the schools and see what happens.  As a poster says above until you get the offer letter you never quite know what will happen but you also won’t know unless you try. 🙂

also maybe get a wine subscription 😅.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Balletbuds80 said:

A great point. Do you know if academics are taken into consideration when places are allocated? My DD is not below expectations on anything but wondered if this information is a requirement to the application process at any schools (in your experience). 

As others have said, academic tests are only to see where a child is at and what additional help or support they may or may not need. My DS doesn’t currently meet particularly high academic attainment levels, but that wasn’t a barrier to entry as it’s based purely on ability. I’m really encouraged about the academics on offer and i think the curriculum will really help my DS achieve better (and more enjoyable) academic results.

Interestingly, as auditions play out, opinions about particular schools can evolve and I think the children definitely get clear vibes about what they like and don’t like. In my own personal opinion, (maybe controversially) I’ve noticed that associate programmes for schools aren’t necessarily carbon copies of the main vocational school. I learned that the hard way (and would happily elaborate via DM) so I think it’s important to check out the actual school, visit open days etc, to sense if it’s a natural fit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I've settled on the personal opinion that the vocational schools are accompanied by very high quality academics, so the highly focused dance path is 'in addition to' a regular academic education, rather than 'instead of'. My DS will be starting vocational school in September,  he is extremely excited to be going.  But I am very open to the fact that even within the focused dance environment, there is still plenty of scope to develop a passion for art, science, history, anything, within the academic curriculum. 

Unless things have changed dramatically, I would suggest that not all dance schools offer the widest, or most rigorous, of academic educations.  Some do and are proud of it.  

When my DS was assessed out at the end of year 9, one of the biggest problems when moving to another vocational school,  was that he was so far behind academically and he had passed 2 selective grammar school entrance exams with flying colours.  

If potential parents place as much importance on academics as dance, pick your school with care.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Sooty said:

Hi, we decided in the process it wasn’t for us. DS more and more realised the impact it would have in everything else in his life, studying what he wanted, friendships, other activities such as scouts and he also realised his other dreams overtook ballet. 
He still lives ballet and does weekend classes, he just isn’t up for the sacrifice of a career.

So I wouldn’t worry about changing minds, I think you can decide either way. It’ll make your mind up resolutely, but there’s certainly no harm in trying it.

Thank you. Maybe nearer the time we know what is right for us as a family and our DD

4 hours ago, Betty’s mum said:

One thing to consider(and I feel it puts extra pressure on those who may not be emotionally ready to go away at 11) is that yr7 is when the highest number of funded places are available across all vocational schools. Admittedly since the recent changes for schools to guarantee 3 years, there may be more scope for yr10, although potentially there will be a cohort of “assessed out pupils from other schools looking to fill those spaces”. 

Definitely something to consider

I honestly think it’s going to be so different for every child. For a start, I would say to be led by your DD/DS – if they want to try then let them try and see how it pans out, but stress the fact that auditions are fun and all good experience and treat it all as an adventure/a lovely night in a hotel/a change to go out for dinner or get an ice cream after etc.

It’s a long year and their opinion on what they want to do may well change over the course of that year. We know so many people who thought they wanted a particular school or to go down a particular route this time last year and their experiences at the auditions (or their reactions to the results) have really changed things.

If you don’t try, then you’ll never know if vocational school was an option or not. Having said that, I personally didn’t want to let DD try for any schools that she didn’t particularly want to go to, not least because I didn’t want to incur any unnecessary audition fees or travel costs.  Maybe she would have got offers elsewhere – I don’t know – but it doesn’t really matter as it was her decision not to apply.

In terms of the bigger question of whether vocational school at 11 is the ‘best’ route or not, I think it depends on a multitude of things, including:

• The personality of your child
  • Your financial position – if you get a large MDS grant then vocational school may cost less than current dance fees (and on the contrary, if you would be liable to pay a hefty parental contribution then is it financially viable?)
  • Where you live and what access you have to vocational level teaching (if that’s what they want) and if you can afford regular private lessons etc
  • Whether you want to (or are able to) drive around to various classes/associates schemes/performance opportunities through the week and at weekends
  • Whether you have other children, how old they are, how much time or attention they need (and potentially how much time is spent away from them if you’re doing the dance runs all the time)
  • Whether they would need to board (and if so, if you and they are ok with that) or whether they could be a day pupil
  • What ‘normal’ schools you have nearby and what the academic provision is like there
  • Whether your child has been generally happy at school or whether being with like-minded kids in a different environment could be a positive thing
  • Whether both you and your child are comfortable that even if they get an offer, they may well not get back in after the initial 3 year programme (in the case of WL) or that they may be assessed out etc at various points at the other schools
  • Whether you and your child feel like you’d be able to enjoy the journey without being crushed if it doesn’t work out the way they might want it to. For most children who go to vocational school even, the chances of ending up with a career in dance are miniscule, whether that’s by their own choice or not, and that’s ok if you go into it all with your eyes open and try and enjoy the experience for what it is.

Just some thoughts – there is never going to be one right answer for everyone. Good luck with it all, whatever you decide to do, and enjoy the ride.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Unless things have changed dramatically, I would suggest that not all dance schools offer the widest, or most rigorous, of academic educations.  Some do and are proud of it.  

When my DS was assessed out at the end of year 9, one of the biggest problems when moving to another vocational school,  was that he was so far behind academically and he had passed 2 selective grammar school entrance exams with flying colours.  

If potential parents place as much importance on academics as dance, pick your school with care.

You are spot on with this about the academics! I think they say they say they value it as much, but take that with a pinch of salt....... my DD will spend the last 3 weeks of term doing no academics at all due to shows 🤔 

Me, and my friend are teachers. My DD goes to one ballet school, and her DC goes to another. We both say that neither of our children do as much academic work, or to the same level, that they would do if they had gone to our schools (which they had places at before getting their places at vocational school).

Edited by sunrise81
  • Like 2

Judging the academics of school especially a ballet school is fraught with danger  purely because the context can change so much from year to year . In my dd case she went to WL for 5 years …the GSCE choice was limited and devoting several hours each day  to dance meant of course that the quantity of academic hours suffered . But at the time she had some amazing teachers who expected students to  the same amount of work as ‘ normal’ secondary school . She completed GSCE Further  Maths in the evening taught voluntarily  by the Maths teacher on prep duty 

Completing numerous weekly assessments /mocks last year due to Covid to prove her attainment for her GSCEs whilst rehearsing long hours for her end of year performance was very challenging . WL is a ballet school first and academic school second .and we knew that when she went there in Year 7.

Yet small classes and outstanding teaching at the time meant she left with the highest GCSE  grades in all her subjects. Btw She was a hard worker rather than an academic natural

Ironically she had a horrendous time artistically and yet ,when we look back at her 5 years there, her academic achievement is something we felt she would not have achieved in her old school .

But ( and it’s a big but) most of her academic  teachers have moved on so  just a year later I now have no idea of the standards there so would hesitate to judge academics now - even as a secondary school teacher . 

I would also add that the academic requirement at upper schools is still  quite rigorous… ( something that we barely thought about whilst dd was at lower school ) …a foundation degree / diploma in ballet with the associated academic work can be very challenging for a 16 year old straight from GCSEs… 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

I wouldn’t disagree at all that there are stronger academic options out there. I imagine that’s one of the biggest dilemma’s in deciding between an academic or vocational route. But maybe personal circumstance plays a significant part of the decision making. If I look at the area we have just relocated from, the regular high school my DS was offered was appalling, by far the worst school for miles. The ‘best’ high school was so oversubscribed there was zero chance of him going there, and would require a £million+ house to be in with any chance. The local private options were in some cases inferior to the local schools, and better ones further afield came with no scholarships, unlike MDS. The curriculum tended to often be very thin on arts. 

I was more making the point that I am personally comfortable (this side of the journey to come) to assume that my DS will still have a quality (though not specifically broad, as you rightly point out) academic educational offering alongside the vocational ballet content.

Reading back, I see I exaggerated the claim that the vocational schools come with strong academics, as I couldn’t actually validate that (apologies). But I’m comfortable with the ‘promise’ of the education on offer of the school he will be joining. It is certainly superior (on paper) to the education that was available to us locally, and I very much hope it’s a reality. 

• Like 5