Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

This might sound ridiculously premature, but I'm curious as to what dates people think vocational school applications might look like for Y7 entry in September 2022.

I'm presuming that dates and deadlines for this current application year might have been extended to offset some of the extraordinary challenges applications for September 2021 entailed. I do seem to remember posts saying deadlines were aligned from the major schools as a consequence of the challenges bought by lockdowns and Covid, but have they been wildly different in the past?

As a Y5 parent, I have anxiously followed the journey of all the current Y6 children and their parents/guardians, and am probably amongst the many people who learn a great deal from those in the year above.

But I'm curious what dates/deadlines might have been like 'pre-covid', to try and get some rough idea of what the application/audition season might be like for the next academic year, and what dates we might be working towards. 

I'm sure the autumn 21 term will be upon us in the blink of an eye, and this suddenly wont feel quite so premature!

• Like 2

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have just been through the vocational application process  for my DD and I can honestly say it has been the most stressful but amazing process of my life!  I did however really enjoy spending quality time with her attending finals.  I think in a usual year both RBS and Elmhurst have an open day to attend they are usually at the school and they are usually in the autumn term maybe half term.  We were planning on prelims for elmhurst from nov/Dec time and RBS in Jan.  My advice is to definitely attend the open days if you can and apply to as many schools as you can afford.   Good luck to the year 5s who will be applying next year.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SJBallet said:

I’m so pleased you’ve posted this. I’m also a parent of a year 5 currently fretting about what autumn will bring so I’ll be following this with interest. 

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only person giving this some thought, as I do have a tendency to over-think these things....  I was looking at my DS's ballet class dates to the end of this summer term and saw that most finish early/mid-June, and start back mid-September, and thought 'blimey, he will be in Y6 in the blink of an eye!'

31 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

We have just been through the vocational application process  for my DD and I can honestly say it has been the most stressful but amazing process of my life!  I did however really enjoy spending quality time with her attending finals.  I think in a usual year both RBS and Elmhurst have an open day to attend they are usually at the school and they are usually in the autumn term maybe half term.  We were planning on prelims for elmhurst from nov/Dec time and RBS in Jan.  My advice is to definitely attend the open days if you can and apply to as many schools as you can afford.   Good luck to the year 5s who will be applying next year.  

Thanks for this, it did cross my mind that IF (and hopefully when) schools can offer physical open days, that autumm half term might be roughly when they do it.... Following everyone's current journey applying for Y7, it felt painfully long and drawn out.  If prelims were this side of Christmas or early January (whether invited or not), that would feel slightly less stretched out than the process everyone else has recently endured this year!    

You will definitely get a feel of the schools by attending an open day, even though this years were on line we were able to gauge a gut feeling of which school suited my DD best and thankfully she has got a place. Try and do as many audition workshops as you can as well.  I am sure there will still be some on zoom.  We used a lady called Sarah Toner and she was brilliant I would recommend.  

2 minutes ago, Ballet Dreams said:

You will definitely get a feel of the schools by attending an open day, even though this years were on line we were able to gauge a gut feeling of which school suited my DD best and thankfully she has got a place. Try and do as many audition workshops as you can as well.  I am sure there will still be some on zoom.  We used a lady called Sarah Toner and she was brilliant I would recommend.  

Thanks for that advice!  Yes, I really do hope we get to see in person, and as you say  gut-feeling and intuition will hopefully be very important too.

Elmhurst is the school I am most curious about as in a way its the one I know the very least about. 

My son does Tring CBA, and although that associate scheme doesn't take place in the actual main building, those glass studios do give us parents some degree of visual insight, and I find his tutor very happy to talk about progress etc.  My DS loves it, and in his head definitely wants to apply to Tring.  I like what I have seen so far, but appreciate there is a LOT more school, building and environment to see, and the CBA programme might be very separate to the school.  But it has made my DS say he definitely wants to apply!  Likewise with JAs, although he has only done it a short amount of time, I find the tutor really approachable and completely wiling to offer thoughts and answer queries. 

Elmhurst is the one I know least about as there isn't really much student feedback, or much correspondence, so I don't have anything intuitive to form an opinion on.  I'm sure its a fabulous school, but an open day would definitely help me understand more about the 'vibe'.

Tring did some really useful virtual open days for this year, videos with interviews with teachers and students and a look around- might be worth checking their website to see if still up. 

As someone that has just come out the other side of year 7 applications my top tips are

1) be open with your dance teachers about wanting to apply. Worst case they’ll ignore you (not us but saw it happen to others, teachers just weren’t interested). Best case you will get honest feedback on what to work on and some help to do it including taking time to make sure your application pics are as good as they can be. 
As year6 progresses you should keep regular contact with teachers to see how doing.

I know some that did private lessons to work on different aspects. Private lessons and extra tuition are not a guarantee of a space so don’t feel you need to do that and don’t be intimidated by those that are- but a couple of sessions to get ‘things to work on’ and ‘progress’ are a great motivator. Arranging a private lesson with your associates teacher can also be good to get a different viewpoint to say normal weekly teacher who will no doubt have their own views on aspects to work on. Pilates or strengthening should be considered - just getting a few mins of that a day into their daily routine at home makes a huge difference over a year and the students do need to have that self drive to keep practicing at home. As a parent you can only do the logistics- apply on time with the right photos and get them to the audition on time. All the work for the year before that has to come from the student wanting to do it.

2)all the schools seem to have varying application deadlines and processes- Tring for example ask you to send screening info BEFORE inviting you to apply. We made a list with info for each school so that we knew what we had to do and by when

3) be honest with yourselves about funding. Not all places are funded, and therefore some people get offered places only to have to turn them down as they can’t afford without funding. You need to prepare your child for how it works if this would be an issue for you.

4) finally never beat yourself up if it’s a ‘not yet’ - there are simply too many people applying for too few places. After all that work, they might not have a place but on reflection they’ll be proud of their progress so far.

good luck with it all!

Edited by Macy1
  • Like 3

Hello! It has been a crazy journey! I've had the pleasure of meeting some lovely parents including @balletdreams and many other lovely people from this group! We had low expectations and weren't even sure if applying for vocational school was right for our DD. She came out of the auditions certain that she wanted to go but even then it took a good few weeks for us to decide on her chosen school. As ballet dreams said, apply to as many as you can afford. We ended up with a choice from 2 but it is obviously very competitive. Don't worry if the initial videos or auditions are not perfect but if prelims are by video ask for help from a teacher....finals week was mad! 3 auditions within 4 days round the country in a pandemic! But so many lovely memories made! Good luck xxx 

Edited by Raquelle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macy1 said:

Tring did some really useful virtual open days for this year, videos with interviews with teachers and students and a look around- might be worth checking their website to see if still up. 

As someone that has just come out the other side of year 7 applications my top tips are

1) be open with your dance teachers about wanting to apply. Worst case they’ll ignore you (not us but saw it happen to others, teachers just weren’t interested). Best case you will get honest feedback on what to work on and some help to do it including taking time to make sure your application pics are as good as they can be. 
As year6 progresses you should keep regular contact with teachers to see how doing.

I know some that did private lessons to work on different aspects. Private lessons and extra tuition are not a guarantee of a space so don’t feel you need to do that and don’t be intimidated by those that are- but a couple of sessions to get ‘things to work on’ and ‘progress’ are a great motivator. Arranging a private lesson with your associates teacher can also be good to get a different viewpoint to say normal weekly teacher who will no doubt have their own views on aspects to work on. Pilates or strengthening should be considered - just getting a few mins of that a day into their daily routine at home makes a huge difference over a year and the students do need to have that self drive to keep practicing at home. As a parent you can only do the logistics- apply on time with the right photos and get them to the audition on time. All the work for the year before that has to come from the student wanting to do it.

2)all the schools seem to have varying application deadlines and processes- Tring for example ask you to send screening info BEFORE inviting you to apply. We made a list with info for each school so that we knew what we had to do and by when

3) be honest with yourselves about funding. Not all places are funded, and therefore some people get offered places only to have to turn them down as they can’t afford without funding. You need to prepare your child for how it works if this would be an issue for you.

4) finally never beat yourself up if it’s a ‘not yet’ - there are simply too many people applying for too few places. After all that work, they might not have a place but on reflection they’ll be proud of their progress so far.

good luck with it all!

Sound advice, thanks for taking the time to offer that.  Much appreciated.

This is also being considered in the 'landscape' of arts-based learning, such as also applying to schools such as ArtsEd etc, not exclusively a ballet path.  I've thought similar to you before, that I can do all the research, 'find various paths' so to speak, but the rest is all down to him, and it will be his talent and effort that will do the bulk of the work.  I shall certainly be attending open days to get as much insight as possible, hopefully things will start to become more open and children can attend so they get the 'buzz' of wanting to try, rather than just having applications arranged.  I have thought about the competition for funding, and how disappointing that must be to get an offer that might not be possible to accept.  We wont be applying for anything that we couldn't pay for without funding, as that must be such a bittersweet outcome.  

5 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Hello! It has been a crazy journey! I've had the pleasure of meeting some lovely parents including @balletdreams and many other lovely people from this group! We had low expectations and weren't even sure if applying for vocational school was right for our DD. She came out of the auditions certain that she wanted to go but even then it took a good few weeks for us to decide on her chosen school. As ballet dreams said, apply to as many as you can afford. We ended up with a choice from 2 but it is obviously very competitive. Don't worry if the initial videos or auditions are not perfect but if prelims are by video ask for help from a teacher....finals week was mad! 3 auditions within 4 days round the country in a pandemic! But so many lovely memories made! Good luck xxx 

That feels really important and reassuring what you just said, that its maybe only when they come out of the auditions that they realise its what they really want to do.  My DS has a chance to do summer intensives, so that will be a great opportunity to see if boarding is for him.  I know its only a week, but at least thats something to form an opinion on.  I did actually just get an email back from Elmhurst, and it appears to be submission of application/photos in November, then they select who to come for prelims in January, then finals in March.  The dates don't appear to be much different, though (fingers crossed) the submission of videos was purely because of the pandemic and they will revert back to live prelims.  

3 auditions over 4 days (with all those lateral flows tests etc) doesn't sound like its for the faint-hearted!!!  Though glad to hear that there we friends and memories made in the process! x

We have completed the vocational journey this year... starting  with applications as long ago September 2020 for this September. I went into it with eyes wide shut! 🤣 it was an extraordinary year for auditioning and hopefully for all auditioning for 2022 it will be a bit more back to the norm. There were no open days, or school tours due to covid, so all my research was done online and through virtual tours. This forum was extremely helpful, as it gave a gateway to talk to people who have dc's currently attending vocational schools, who were happy to share knowledge and experience. My main tips would be do your research. Although RBS and Elmhurst mostly (I believe) come with MDS (which is also income assessed) Tring and Hammond only have a certain amount to give out, these two schools do preliminaries then funding finals. Tring select for funding finals, Hammond offer all those who have me the required standard for the school (who are offered a full fee paying place) an MDS final audition. Then there are other costs to feature when you are doing your research, picking up and returning for exeat weekends, additional things at weekends, uniform and other things but I found alot of information out from lovely, experienced people on here. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to, each vocational school is different in what they offer and what they look for (that's what I've read on here)

We have had a stressful but also enlightening journey with my DC, I wouldn't change it but I wasn't quite prepared for the roller coaster haha. We wanted to support our DC to try and we don't regret a minute. I've also met some lovely people and made new friends too. Go for it and see where it leads, nothing is set in stone or undoable. Good luck and always ask questions on this forum, you will get an experienced answer im sure 😊 my DC starts vocational school in September, so we are now on another new journey! 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

This might sound ridiculously premature, but I'm curious as to what dates people think vocational school applications might look like for Y7 entry in September 2022.

I'm presuming that dates and deadlines for this current application year might have been extended to offset some of the extraordinary challenges applications for September 2021 entailed. I do seem to remember posts saying deadlines were aligned from the major schools as a consequence of the challenges bought by lockdowns and Covid, but have they been wildly different in the past?

As a Y5 parent, I have anxiously followed the journey of all the current Y6 children and their parents/guardians, and am probably amongst the many people who learn a great deal from those in the year above.

But I'm curious what dates/deadlines might have been like 'pre-covid', to try and get some rough idea of what the application/audition season might be like for the next academic year, and what dates we might be working towards. 

I'm sure the autumn 21 term will be upon us in the blink of an eye, and this suddenly wont feel quite so premature!

So glad you posted this as it had crossed my mind. 

26 minutes ago, Dancedreamer said:

So glad you posted this as it had crossed my mind. 

When I look at the relative handful of classes left up until July, and the fact that Y6 starts around 14/15th September, I’m starting to feel like we’re pretty much in Y6 already 😂 

18 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

My attention has also been turning to this recently and I’m very aware that this will all come around so quickly now. In ‘normal’ years, Royal open their applications a day or two around 5th Oct (like they always close JAs around 23rd March) and I imagine the other schools are similar. Tring usually have prelims from Oct - Jan, from what I remember the usually hold one roughly every three weeks but can add extra dates if there is the demand. I’m not as clued up on the others, but I imagine they all open up sometime in October. Also desperately hoping for some open days, it would be so nice to visit them all. We have done virtual tours/ Q&As with two of the schools, both of which were excellent, but not quite the same as actually being there in person. 

4 hours ago, PurplePirouette said:

My attention has also been turning to this recently and I’m very aware that this will all come around so quickly now. In ‘normal’ years, Royal open their applications a day or two around 5th Oct (like they always close JAs around 23rd March) and I imagine the other schools are similar. Tring usually have prelims from Oct - Jan, from what I remember the usually hold one roughly every three weeks but can add extra dates if there is the demand. I’m not as clued up on the others, but I imagine they all open up sometime in October. Also desperately hoping for some open days, it would be so nice to visit them all. We have done virtual tours/ Q&As with two of the schools, both of which were excellent, but not quite the same as actually being there in person. 

Thanks for that information!  So if Tring offer prelims on a roughly 3-weekly basis from October through to January, do they still offer finals in February or March all at the same time?  From those that posted their auditions and successes on social media, I seemed to get the impression that Tring finals and results were released quite early compared to Royal then Elmhurst.  Or maybe finals were all that same gruelling week, but Tring gave results sooner?

Elmhurst say they open applications beginning of November, hold prelims in January and Finals in March.  So like you say, it seems Royal open a month earlier in October, but probably still hold prelims in January and finals in March.  So Royal and Elmhurst are pretty much working towards the same-ish dates...

Tring give initial results sooner. 3 outcomes:

no thank you

yes if you can pay funding

offer funding audition

so some people get places after the initial results if they can pay fees. Otherwise they have to turn down as not invited to funding audition

the funding audition was about a week before royal I think 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Elmhurst say they open applications beginning of November, hold prelims in January and Finals in March. 

Elmhurst, in normal years, used to have prelims before the Christmas break too, so it might be that they go back to that pattern if they can. It’s quite a squeeze to get it all done in the spring term. 

Hammond’s usual pattern is to have one audition per month and add extras towards the end if they need to. 

21 minutes ago, Macy1 said:

Tring give initial results sooner. 3 outcomes:

no thank you

yes if you can pay funding

offer funding audition

so some people get places after the initial results if they can pay fees. Otherwise they have to turn down as not invited to funding audition

the funding audition was about a week before royal I think 

Ah, thank you, that now makes sense.  Given there are (I believe?) fewer funded places at Tring and Hammond than Royal and Elmhurst, if you are offered a place and can actually pay for the fees, you would inevitably get your offer sooner for Tring... So the Tring 'funding audition' runs closer in date to the Elmhurst and Royal finals?  But you could be offered a place sooner if you are in a position to pay for fees. 

I wonder how many children go to funding auditions, and how many places are offered, or if that's highly variable year on year.

9 minutes ago, Farawaydancer said:

Elmhurst, in normal years, used to have prelims before the Christmas break too, so it might be that they go back to that pattern if they can. It’s quite a squeeze to get it all done in the spring term. 

Hammond’s usual pattern is to have one audition per month and add extras towards the end if they need to. 

Thanks for that info.  From what Elmhurst emailed yesterday, they seem to tentatively be saying prelims in January, though I imagine its all very fluid and might change should 'normal' be a return to how things were organized pre-covid.

40 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

So if Tring offer prelims on a roughly 3-weekly basis from October through to January, do they still offer finals in February or March all at the same time?  From those that posted their auditions and successes on social media, I seemed to get the impression that Tring finals and results were released quite early compared to Royal then Elmhurst.  Or maybe finals were all that same gruelling week, but Tring gave results sooner?

I don’t think Tring are capped on how many they invite to funding auditions, so I imagine that anyone they think have met their criteria they will invite for the funding audition, whether it’s from an October or January audition. 

18 hours ago, Crazylifecrazykids said:

We have completed the vocational journey this year... starting  with applications as long ago September 2020 for this September. I went into it with eyes wide shut! 🤣 it was an extraordinary year for auditioning and hopefully for all auditioning for 2022 it will be a bit more back to the norm. There were no open days, or school tours due to covid, so all my research was done online and through virtual tours. This forum was extremely helpful, as it gave a gateway to talk to people who have dc's currently attending vocational schools, who were happy to share knowledge and experience. My main tips would be do your research. Although RBS and Elmhurst mostly (I believe) come with MDS (which is also income assessed) Tring and Hammond only have a certain amount to give out, these two schools do preliminaries then funding finals. Tring select for funding finals, Hammond offer all those who have me the required standard for the school (who are offered a full fee paying place) an MDS final audition. Then there are other costs to feature when you are doing your research, picking up and returning for exeat weekends, additional things at weekends, uniform and other things but I found alot of information out from lovely, experienced people on here. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to, each vocational school is different in what they offer and what they look for (that's what I've read on here)

We have had a stressful but also enlightening journey with my DC, I wouldn't change it but I wasn't quite prepared for the roller coaster haha. We wanted to support our DC to try and we don't regret a minute. I've also met some lovely people and made new friends too. Go for it and see where it leads, nothing is set in stone or undoable. Good luck and always ask questions on this forum, you will get an experienced answer im sure 😊 my DC starts vocational school in September, so we are now on another new journey! 

Congratulations to your DC and you for their new journey starting in September!

I don't envy the multitude of parents who had to make seismic life-decisions for their children via zoom!  What a crazy journey and experience, probably adding an extra layer of stress to something already highly stressful!  I'm a research freak, so find this forum invaluable.

At this moment in time, I am treating every school as a worst-case scenario that we pay for it, so I am considering this process with eyes wide open, (as far as they can be haha).  I do wonder what those additional fees might add up to.  I'm sure they're highly variable from school to school, but I am sure they're not a small or insignificant number either, on top of the already enormous fees.

2 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

I don’t think Tring are capped on how many they invite to funding auditions, so I imagine that anyone they think have met their criteria they will invite for the funding audition, whether it’s from an October or January audition. 

I did read online that student who have marked that they are able to pay their fees without assistance are still allowed to audition for funding:

Step 3

Following the entrance audition you will be advised whether or not your son/daughter has been successful for a place at the school and, if suitable, they will be invited back to the final audition for a School Scholarship, a Music and Dance Scheme Award or a Dance and Drama Award (DaDA). If a parent indicates on the Application Form that they are able to pay the fees this does not preclude their son/daughter being considered for funding.

5 minutes ago, PurplePirouette said:

Going into highly speculative territory here..... so in theory, a Tring applicant could be potentally audition somewhat earlier than Elmhurst and Royal, be offered a space on the basis that they are able to pay the fees if necessary, still have the possibility to be invited to the funding audition at a later date, and that funding audition date would also be much closer to Royal and Elmhurst finals.  SO, I wonder when they expect you to commit, on the basis that you might want to await where an Elmhurst and Royal audition gets you?  

I think that anyone that goes to the funding auditions for Tring has been offered a place. Sorry if not clear earlier.

So after initial you might get a no, a yes but you’re not getting a chance at funding (so if you can pay you can just accept the place then) or a yes and we are inviting you to the funding audition. I assume  the majority of those students do then wait to the funding audition and then to see if offered funding before accepting their offer (or not) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Thank you @Macy1that makes sense. If you were offered a place with the opportunity to audition for funding, I understand why someone would await the outcome of that funding audition before deciding to accept their offer. 

Basically if you're invited to finals for Tring or hammond you have a place, the finals are to decide who wins a funded place. Tring have less mds than other schools so from our experience less people get to funding finals there than perhaps other schools. This was the only school we didn't get funding finals for xx 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Congratulations to your DC and you for their new journey starting in September!

I don't envy the multitude of parents who had to make seismic life-decisions for their children via zoom!  What a crazy journey and experience, probably adding an extra layer of stress to something already highly stressful!  I'm a research freak, so find this forum invaluable.

At this moment in time, I am treating every school as a worst-case scenario that we pay for it, so I am considering this process with eyes wide open, (as far as they can be haha).  I do wonder what those additional fees might add up to.  I'm sure they're highly variable from school to school, but I am sure they're not a small or insignificant number either, on top of the already enormous fees.

Thankyou. Think its just good to get a feel for what the extras are, it's my searching on here and speaking to people helped, somehow us parents find it haha and if you offset what you are currently spending on all aspects of dance then it's not too bad. I found the MDS calculators on Elmhurst and RBS very useful to work out an approximate of what you might pay if on and MDS, once again people on here have said it's fairly accurate but obviously I'm not 100% sure

Best of luck to your DC let us know how it all goes 🥰

Edited by Crazylifecrazykids
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

Basically if you're invited to finals for Tring or hammond you have a place, the finals are to decide who wins a funded place. Tring have less mds than other schools so from our experience less people get to funding finals there than perhaps other schools. This was the only school we didn't get funding finals for xx 

In previous years Hammond have invited everyone offered a place to funding finals.  (Assuming you are eligible on grounds of residence etc).

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Good morning! This is my first posting so hello! I just wondered if anyone can help with the Hammond applications for y7? I have received the forms but it's not altogether clear as to whether I need to send a video or if that is what is expected at the actual audition? If anyone could offer some help I'd be really grateful 🙂

48 minutes ago, Ottobotto said:

Good morning! This is my first posting so hello! I just wondered if anyone can help with the Hammond applications for y7? I have received the forms but it's not altogether clear as to whether I need to send a video or if that is what is expected at the actual audition? If anyone could offer some help I'd be really grateful 🙂

Hello @Ottobotto you’re doing better than me. I can’t even find the forms. Did you have to email the registrar for them? 

Yes I had emailed asking when they were opening as the website said the 1st but there appeared to be nothing. They replied to say they were now open (????) and attached the link and the information about auditions requirements but I'm not sure if they require an video without going all the way through the application form - which I don't want to do if I then don't have the video ready! There was quite a lot on there for a video ,including singling, so I just wanted to check first!