Vocational school applications for Y7 entry 2022

BalletBoysDad

Just now, Ballet Power said:

I know this is the year 7 thread but have any year 8s hear about Elmhurst? 

I was just about to message you! No I havnt heard anything yet. I guess it’s because everyone gets a preliminary audition for entry into year 7 but they are selecting the year 8 entry auditionees from the videos. So we’ll probably have to wait until after the closing date! X 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Dancermom said:

I was just about to message you! No I havnt heard anything yet. I guess it’s because everyone gets a preliminary audition for entry into year 7 but they are selecting the year 8 entry auditionees from the videos. So we’ll probably have to wait until after the closing date! X 

I thought that too just wanted to check!  Fingers crossed.  

1 minute ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Oh I hadn’t realised that WL final was spread over 2 days….we got the email this morning for DS and I just thought the 2 dates meant it would be with the 10th or 11th 🙈

Last year it was just one day but I think that was because of covid and they did it differently 🤔

My son is also going to the WL finals in March. I asked his teacher and she seemed to think it was 10th and 11th and the info definitely says you need to be available for both days. She said they do physio checks  on all students so some would have those on the first day and then they would swap over and some would have them on the second day. I guess it depends on how many are there, but if it's 30+ then they would need 2 days to do them all I suppose  .  So I'm planning for 2 days of roaming rather than just one 🙂!

1 minute ago, Ottobotto said:

My son is also going to the WL finals in March. I asked his teacher and she seemed to think it was 10th and 11th and the info definitely says you need to be available for both days. She said they do physio checks  on all students so some would have those on the first day and then they would swap over and some would have them on the second day. I guess it depends on how many are there, but if it's 30+ then they would need 2 days to do them all I suppose  .  So I'm planning for 2 days of roaming rather than just one 🙂!

Ahhh that makes sense 😃 It will be a nice excuse to do lots of exploring xx

6 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

Last year all the boys  were in one day and they had the class and the physio check. They were in small groups and rotated .

Hi everyone, we’re new to the forum and new to world of auditions!

Did anyone else have a boy going for a mids place, not year 7. My son is in year 7 now, loves ballet and we went to London to apply on the advice of his teacher having never heard of it all. I didn’t really understand it was also for White Lodge.

It was more polished than we expected and he was rather under confident coming out, it’s now a long long wait as I understand we find out after white lodge (good luck for boys applying there! Was anyone older than year 7?). My son’s the youngest in year 7, summer born, and felt REALLY young in the mixed age auditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday 16th of Dec..

I am writing to you today to let you know that, as things stand at the moment, we are still planning to hold our auditions in person. However, we are putting some measures into place for the auditions:

I am sorry but, on this occasion, we are only able to have one parent accompanying the candidate for the meeting with the Principal and Course Directors. This will also be the case for the tour of the school.

Please note the following:
  • We require all candidates and parents coming to the school to  take a Lateral Flow Test within 24 hours of attendance please. Of course if the test is positive please don't attend the audition, we will suggest an alternative.
  • All visitors will need to wear a mask at all times. Candidates will need to wear a mask at all times , except during their audition, unless exempt for medical reasons.
  • Candidates should bring your own water bottles. 

Should Government advice for schools change, we will be in touch with alternative arrangements.

On 27/12/2021 at 05:40, balletboy8 said:

Trying not to think about it, Tring have sent email saying plans are remaining the same for now - DS audition is on the 7th of Jan 🤞

My son is on the 7th too 😃

Lets hope that nothing changes next week and auditions can go ahead 🤞

Those of you doing the Tring audition….what are you doing about music for their solo ? I don’t think they’ve said how to bring it eg disc , usb etc ? 

3 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Those of you doing the Tring audition….what are you doing about music for their solo ? I don’t think they’ve said how to bring it eg disc , usb etc ? 

For Tring it says the following:

 A prepared dance solo of up to one-minute duration, in any style, from a smartphone/iPod/USB accompaniment, ready to play.
We are happy to see candidates’ own choreography for this solo

I did get an email from Hammond that said they were offering video auditions as an alternative but it said about ticking a firm so not sure if that is for anyone who is still doing the application rather than those that have been offered a date already. 

Hammond says you have to provide the cables from your phone to sound system????? Need to have a think about all of that! 

3 hours ago, Julsgalaxy said:

DS doesn't have anyone who can choreograph a routine so is making one up, I can't even download/buy the exact version of the song he wants so having to remote record and then download onto USB - all very painful.

Does anyone know more about the academic assessment?

Thanks 😄

31 minutes ago, balletboy8 said:

DS doesn't have anyone who can choreograph a routine so is making one up, I can't even download/buy the exact version of the song he wants so having to remote record and then download onto USB - all very painful.

Does anyone know more about the academic assessment?

Thanks 😄

Oh we are the same ….DS has a dance that he’s never practiced and it’s a well known song that I’m somehow going to have to cut 🤷‍♀️
no idea re academic assessment.

8 hours ago, SJBallet said:

For Tring it says the following:

 A prepared dance solo of up to one-minute duration, in any style, from a smartphone/iPod/USB accompaniment, ready to play.
We are happy to see candidates’ own choreography for this solo

I did get an email from Hammond that said they were offering video auditions as an alternative but it said about ticking a firm so not sure if that is for anyone who is still doing the application rather than those that have been offered a date already. 

Hammond says you have to provide the cables from your phone to sound system????? Need to have a think about all of that! 

Ah thanks, I skim read that part 🙈

DS is wanting to go out for lunch tomorrow in Brighton and I suddenly thought but what if he catches covid ….it just seems everywhere at the moment and I suppose once they go back to school, there’s the very real chance they would catch it 🙈

I wonder what would happen if they couldn’t make the auditions because they were ill ? 

Hi everyone. I’m just after some clarification is possible. My son has auditions at both Tring and Hammond and I was certain they both required a singing solo , but now I’ve looked through the audition information again I cannot see that Tring requires a singing solo. Is this correct?? Many thanks,

3 hours ago, Ottobotto said:

Hi everyone. I’m just after some clarification is possible. My son has auditions at both Tring and Hammond and I was certain they both required a singing solo , but now I’ve looked through the audition information again I cannot see that Tring requires a singing solo. Is this correct?? Many thanks,

Tring does not require a singing solo for dance pathway auditions. Just a 1 minute dance solo. 

31 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

For the Tring audition, it says to do a lft 24 hours beforehand…I’m wondering if this is just a regular lft or an official one like the WL one was ? 

I am sure that this is just the regular NHS ones that you register online and get a text or email confirming the result. Not one of the ‘paid for’ services. My DS recently had covid and they confirmed they would also accept receipt proof of a positive test, such as the NHS Test and Trace email confirmation.

40 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I am sure that this is just the regular NHS ones that you register online and get a text or email confirming the result. Not one of the ‘paid for’ services. My DS recently had covid and they confirmed they would also accept receipt proof of a positive test, such as the NHS Test and Trace email confirmation.

Ok thank you , I’m glad I checked as I was thinking it may just be a regular lateral flow that you do at home without needing to send it off to nhs …I had better order those then xx

3 minutes ago, Julsgalaxy said:

Ok thank you , I’m glad I checked as I was thinking it may just be a regular lateral flow that you do at home without needing to send it off to nhs …I had better order those then xx

I’m sure it’s the free NHS ones you upload the result here: 

https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result

They’ve been accepting these daily for their children participating in ENB Nutcracker 

1 hour ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Tring does not require a singing solo for dance pathway auditions. Just a 1 minute dance solo. 

Thank you! I couldn’t see it anywhere but then thought I’d read something about singing happy birthday but couldn’t see that either! Maybe I’ve just gone mad 🙈

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ottobotto said:

Thank you! I couldn’t see it anywhere but then thought I’d read something about singing happy birthday but couldn’t see that either! Maybe I’ve just gone mad 🙈

Singing Happy Birthday is the advice for the Hammond audition if children aren’t used to singing. 

Re lateral flows are we saying it’s the ones that (pre omicron) you could get from chemists or schools? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJBallet said:

Singing Happy Birthday is the advice for the Hammond audition if children aren’t used to singing. 

Re lateral flows are we saying it’s the ones that (pre omicron) you could get from chemists or schools? 

I’m quite sure it’s the ‘regular old’ LFTs that you get given for free in chemists, schools, shopping malls etc. We’ve had to submit a few of those in the last few weeks, as long as they’re registered on the gov.uk website, where you receive an email or text confirming what result you entered. 

• Like 2